Subject: Ireland vs Scotland JUNE 11th Match Thread
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:20am
Well....what now?

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Replies:
Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:22am
There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:33am
Win or bust basically. We're well past there being any value in heroic 1-1 home draws at this point after the last two games and we'll get nothing over in Poland.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:39am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Well....what now?

Kenny tampers with the floodlights, gets the game abandoned and get awarded a drawLOL

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:46am
Perhaps time for a bit of a refresh. Give Travers, Lenihan, Manning, Obafemi and Molumby a start. I’d like to see some call-ups, but I suspect that won’t happen.

I’d be disappointed if there were just a few marginal changes made.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:50am
Did think we would beat the Scots , now i am not sure we could beat anyone Cry

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Why did you think we would beat a squad with lads like 

Robertson
McGinn
McTominay
Tierney (maybe out injured)
Cooper
Adams 
McGregor 

All who would walk into our team. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:57am
I'd like to see us revert to a back 4, something like this:

Kelleher

Manning/McLean (we're struggling on the left side. I'd actually have the 2 boys in the 21s over these)
Duffy
Collins
O'Shea

Cullen
Knight 
Brown (more mobile than Hendrick/Hourihane/ Molumby..that's the only reason I'd start him. Again I'd probably have Smallbone, Kilkenny, Ronan,Jack Byrne all in here ahead of these 4)

Ogbene
Obafemi
Parrot

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Robertson
McGinn
McTominay
Cooper
Adams 
McGregor 

Because every player you've listed is either a left back or a central midfielder, apart from Cooper and Adams who aren't much good. You could have added in Hickey and Gilmour who are both decent, but that would have been another left back and another central midfielder.

They have some good players but they're a very unbalanced team.

They have got a manager that has got a lot out of them though to be fair.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Robertson
McGinn
McTominay
Cooper
Adams 
McGregor 

Because every player you've listed is either a left back or a central midfielder, apart from Cooper and Adams who aren't much good. You could have added in Hickey and Gilmour who are both decent, but that would have been another left back and another central midfielder.

Tierney plays lcb for Scotland.  Robertson plays lwb. 

McTominay can play RCB or CM for Scotland.  

Adams plays up front.

McGregor is a CM

McGinn plays AM and

Cooper plays CB. 

Not sure if your point as they play a similar formation to us and don’t play with wingers. 

The manager has a whole lot more to work with than Kenny has. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 12:12pm

Win or bust basically. We're well past there being any value in heroic 1-1 home draws at this point after the last two games and we'll get nothing over in Poland.
Just because you keep saying something doesn’t make it true.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 12:27pm

Robertson
McGinn
McTominay
Cooper
Adams 
McGregor 

Adams plays up front.

McGregor is a CM

McGinn plays AM and

Cooper plays CB. 

Not sure if your point as they play a similar formation to us and don’t play with wingers. 

You're kind of proving my point there to be honest. Which is that Clarke is having to play those players out of position because they're so short of natural options. McTominay has been a disaster for them at centre back incidentally but their alternatives are no better. Which is not too surprising as he's a midfielder. Tierney is not a natural centre back, he just plays there to fill a hole, does a better job of it than McTominay but it's still not his proper position. Hickey was played out of position on the right against Ukraine to fill another hole. They have no good goalkeepers under the age of 39 and even the 39 year old is at Hearts for a reason. 

Clarke is getting the best or close to it out if what he has. Kenny isn't managing anywhere near that. 

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 12:43pm

Robertson
McGinn
McTominay
Cooper
Adams 
McGregor 

Adams plays up front.

McGregor is a CM

McGinn plays AM and

Cooper plays CB. 

You're kind of proving my point there to be honest. Which is that Clarke is having to play those players out of position because they're so short of natural options. McTominay has been a disaster for them at centre back incidentally but their alternatives are no better. Which is not too surprising as he's a midfielder. Tierney is not a natural centre back, he just plays there to fill a hole, does a better job of it than McTominay but it's still not his proper position. Hickey was played out of position on the right against Ukraine to fill another hole. They have no good goalkeepers under the age of 39 and even the 39 year old is at Hearts for a reason. 

Clarke is getting the best or close to it out if what he has. Kenny isn't managing anywhere near that. 

I think this is disingenuous to say the least. I think to any even semi-neutral observer it is abundantly clear that Clarke has significantly better footballers at his disposal. He also has the advantage of a semi-reasonable domestic league to draw further players from. Kenny has a squad of ageing pros who cant get first team football and young lads starting out on their careers- the ones in between 23-28 are largely simply not good enough. There is a very significant gap between the talent of the two playing pools. 

Likewise Ukraine last night and their so called 2nd team which largely featured players playing regularly at the likes of Shakhtar and Dinamo Kiev.

I have no problem with lads calling out Kenny, but to do so without acknowledging the limitations of the players available to him seems churlish.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 12:59pm
 we all know the cards are hard to play for Kenny but was it any other way Kenny wouldn’t have got the job he knew what he was letting him self in for 

He is not capable of improving us he has shown this already he has his chance and couldn’t find the business.

He refuses to select players on form instead insists they get a few camps under their belt first!!

What a load of thrash fair enough if we are winning all round us but it’s not and the advice is from himself and Andrew’s as Roy says “ do me a favour”

He is shooting him self in the foot 

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:03pm

Travers
           Collins Duffy Lenihan 
Ebosele                               Manning
               Smallbone Cullen 
        Ogbene Obafemi Knight 

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:09pm
You are deluded Clarke has lads playing regularly in the premier
League and for top 6 clubs.  We had one lad who
Was a premier league regular last night. 

Clarke has far more at his disposal including champions league winner and epl league winner and
Lads regularly playing at highest level. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:14pm

You are deluded Clarke has lads playing regularly in the premier
League and for top 6 clubs.  We had one lad who
Was a premier league regular last night. 

Clarke has far more at his disposal including champions league winner and epl league winner and
Lads regularly playing at highest level. 

And thats one lad was a only a semi-regular in a team that got relegated and probably wasnt first choice at all if both of Mee and Tarkowski were available!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:24pm
I want to see a lot of changes for Saturday, and a few callups.

Kelleher
         Lenihan Egan* Collins
Ebosele Molumby Kilkenny Manning
                   Browne
          Parrott        Obafemi

*If Egan is OK start him instead of Duffy. O'Shea was awful when he came on, Duffy still the better choice there.
Cullen can't start 3 games he's knackered, his performance will only dip further.

Robertson is tired after a long season, Eboseles youthful exuberance would hopefully give him a tough time.

Kilkenny & Smallbone callups. Though with Smallbones injury record I wouldn't start him, 15' off the bench.
Get McGrath in the squad, he's not fit to start, but he's surely good for 15'.

Knight put in a big shift last night, don't think he'd be ready to go again for Saturday.

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I think this is disingenuous to say the least. I think to any even semi-neutral observer it is abundantly clear that Clarke has significantly better footballers at his disposal. He also has the advantage of a semi-reasonable domestic league to draw further players from. Kenny has a squad of ageing pros who cant get first team football and young lads starting out on their careers- the ones in between 23-28 are largely simply not good enough. There is a very significant gap between the talent of the two playing pools. 

Likewise Ukraine last night and their so called 2nd team which largely featured players playing regularly at the likes of Shakhtar and Dinamo Kiev.

I have no problem with lads calling out Kenny, but to do so without acknowledging the limitations of the players available to him seems churlish.

That's the major difference between our squad & Scotlands. They have a lot of players in that 24-30  range (physical prime years) where we have missing generations.

In 5 years we could have a similar looking squad to what theirs looks like now. Maybe.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Travers
           Collins Duffy Lenihan 
               Smallbone Cullen 
        Ogbene Obafemi Knight 

Seems a bit unfair to retain Duffy and Ogeben when they both had shockers last night. Why not go the whole hog - O'Shea for Duffy, Molumby for Cullen and CJ Hamilton for Ogbene :)

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Fitz
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:29pm
2 spare tickets in 116, face value

PM if interested 

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:30pm

Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Travers
           Collins Duffy Lenihan 
               Smallbone Cullen 
        Ogbene Obafemi Knight 

Seems a bit unfair to retain Duffy and Ogeben when they both had shockers last night. Why not go the whole hog - O'Shea for Duffy, Molumby for Cullen and CJ Hamilton for Ogbene :)

Oh yeah and call up Jamie McGrath and give Hourihane a spin out also!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: IrishMan234
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:58pm
Travers
O’Shea Lenihan Collins Manning
Molumby Cullen
Hamilton Knight Parrott
Obafemi. Just go with this can’t be any worse than last night.

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:17pm
God, another game to sit through so soon Ouch

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

God, another game to sit through so soon Ouch

Aye, it's sadistic alright. Still, I cant wait!

-------------

Posted By: TooOldForThis
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:24pm
The thought of being beaten by Scotland...makes me want to puke!

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:30pm

I'd like to see us revert to a back 4,

We don't have a squad suited to a back 4. We don't have fullbacks other than Coleman, everyone else is much better as a wingback (Manning, Stevens, McClean, Christie, Festy), we don't really have wingers other than Ogbene, Hamilton & Festy (2 of them untested at this level).

The entire system doesn't need to be changed around, just tweaked & much fresher legs added to the XI.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

We don't have a squad suited to a back 4. We don't have fullbacks other than Coleman, everyone else is much better as a wingback (Manning, Stevens, McClean, Christie, Festy), we don't really have wingers other than Ogbene, Hamilton & Festy (2 of them untested at this level).

The entire system doesn't need to be changed around, just tweaked & much fresher legs added to the XI.

I'd agree - we need to stick with the 3 at the back system for this window at least. The problem we have is that when you start looking for fresh legs, you begin to really see the lack of depth in the squad. Hard to see Hendrick manage a 3rd 90 in 7 days, but the potential replacements really are an uninspiring bunch. Egan is likely out opening the door for Lenihan or O'Shea perhaps. Maybe Mc Clean or Manning start ahead of Stevens etc etc. You can say what you like about Kenny, but I dont think there are many obvious positions where he has been leaving better players on the bench tahn the ones he has put on the pitch. Obafemi deserves a start ahead of one of Ogbene/Robinson, maybe play a 3-4-1-2 with Knight in behind Keane and Obafemi, but otherwise its all a bit meh. Hourihane or Molumby for Hendrick just weakens the first XI imo. Lenihan is grand, Manning is grand but neither are likely to  improve the first XI.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:05pm
My starting XI vs Scotland 3-4-1-2. I'm assuming Coleman and Egan are both out. I'd love to freshen up the midfield, but I really dont think the options i.e. Molumby, Hourihane. Browne are capable against a good Scottish midfield. You could maybe make an argument for Ebosele over Christie, Manning over Mc Clean and Parrott over Keane, but that would be a lot of churn and inexperience to a team already missing 3 or 4 starters.

Kelleher

Christie
Mc Clean
Collins
Duffy
Lenihan

Cullen
Hendrick

Knight

Obafemi 
Keane

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Adobolo
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:21pm
While I agree with your formation I can't see Kenny dropping Ogbena, so play him as the right wing back, Oshea is ahead of Lenihan and personally I'd have parrot as the number 10 as I think he can create more and also I'm not the biggest Will K fan no matter how many he scored this year. 

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:36pm

My starting XI vs Scotland 3-4-1-2. I'm assuming Coleman and Egan are both out. I'd love to freshen up the midfield, but I really dont think the options i.e. Molumby, Hourihane. Browne are capable against a good Scottish midfield. You could maybe make an argument for Ebosele over Christie, Manning over Mc Clean and Parrott over Keane, but that would be a lot of churn and inexperience to a team already missing 3 or 4 starters.

Kelleher

Christie
Mc Clean
Collins
Duffy
Lenihan

Cullen
Hendrick

Knight

Obafemi 
Keane

The only thing that will be achieved by starting Cullen & Hendrick again is further decline in their performances. Keeping in mind there's another game on Tuesday, what do you do then start them for the 4th game in 10 days? No.
Whatever you think of the difference in quality between Molumby/Browne & Cullen/Hendrick, tired legs make the latter the worse option on the day.

McClean shouldn't be anywhere near the starting lineup, he's been brutal, by far the worst of our wingbacks. Manning is a much better option, if for no other reason then he's younger & fitter. He can actually run and pass the ball.

Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

While I agree with your formation I can't see Kenny dropping Ogbena, so play him as the right wing back, Oshea is ahead of Lenihan and personally I'd have parrot as the number 10 as I think he can create more and also I'm not the biggest Will K fan no matter how many he scored this year. 

Ogbene is clearly tired & should be given a break, wearing him down even more won't help.
O'Shea was terrible when he came on, very obviously nowhere near his best & shouldn't be ahead of Lenihan. Lenihan had a great full season & has absolutely earned a shot.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

I could live with any/all of those changes - my rationale was that Ogbene looked shagged - maybe he can provide a spark off the bench. O'Shea looks well short of his best - doesnt seem to have recovered well from his injury. The idea with Keane is that he would hold his position centrally, hold the ball up and allow Obafemi buzz around him and run the channels. If Parrott can do that job and compete in the air with the Scottish cb's then give him a go for sure.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:42pm

Kelleher

Christie
Mc Clean
Collins
Duffy
Lenihan

Cullen
Hendrick

Knight

Obafemi 
Keane

The only thing that will be achieved by starting Cullen & Hendrick again is further decline in their performances. Keeping in mind there's another game on Tuesday, what do you do then start them for the 4th game in 10 days? No.
Whatever you think of the difference in quality between Molumby/Browne & Cullen/Hendrick, tired legs make the latter the worse option on the day.

McClean shouldn't be anywhere near the starting lineup, he's been brutal, by far the worst of our wingbacks. Manning is a much better option, if for no other reason then he's younger & fitter. He can actually run and pass the ball.

This is a must win for Kenny I think, so he has to put his best team (or close to it) out regardless of legs. I really do think the drop off from Cullen/Hendrick to 2 of Molumby/Browne/Hourihane is just too big to countenance. At least one of them has to play imo. I'm not sold on Manning at all, nor it seems are the current management setup and I thought Mc Clean put in a number of decent deliveries after coming on last night - he's also fresh enough having not started either of the previous 2 and Stevens has been abysmal.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Heimatklange
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 5:02pm

Kelleher
         Lenihan Egan* Collins
                   Browne
          Parrott        Obafemi

*If Egan is OK start him instead of Duffy. O'Shea was awful when he came on, Duffy still the better choice there.
Cullen can't start 3 games he's knackered, his performance will only dip further.

Robertson is tired after a long season, Eboseles youthful exuberance would hopefully give him a tough time.

Kilkenny & Smallbone callups. Though with Smallbones injury record I wouldn't start him, 15' off the bench.

Knight put in a big shift last night, don't think he'd be ready to go again for Saturday.

That's the major difference between our squad & Scotlands. They have a lot of players in that 24-30  range (physical prime years) where we have missing generations.

In 5 years we could have a similar looking squad to what theirs looks like now. Maybe.
Good line up and i would have no hesitation in sticking Smallbone in at AM

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Kelleher
         Lenihan Egan* Collins
                   Browne
          Parrott        Obafemi

Good line up and i would have no hesitation in sticking Smallbone in at AM

Seems unlikely that there will be any call ups from the U21s for Saturday. If Italy win tonight and the possibility of a top ranked 2nd place is also off the cards then it might happen for the game on Tuesday - if so, I'd certainly like to see Smallbone given game time and you could make a good argument for any of Bagan, Kilkenny or Coventry also. Asides from freshening things up, all are entitled to be there on merit given the paucity of our options in midfield and at left back plus capping Coventry and/or Smallbone would have the added benefit of tieing them down (not sure re Bagan? is he 21 yet?).

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 5:23pm

This is a must win for Kenny I think, so he has to put his best team (or close to it) out regardless of legs. I really do think the drop off from Cullen/Hendrick to 2 of Molumby/Browne/Hourihane is just too big to countenance. At least one of them has to play imo. I'm not sold on Manning at all, nor it seems are the current management setup and I thought Mc Clean put in a number of decent deliveries after coming on last night - he's also fresh enough having not started either of the previous 2 and Stevens has been abysmal.

I just can't agree with any of that really. Putting an exhausted XI out will not win the game. Mobility is such a huge part of International football.

Browne over the last 3 years has been a better performer for us than Hendrick (when he's played in his best position - AM). Molumby has put in MoTM performances in his early games for us. They are easily the better options to start rather than flogging the sh*t out of Cullen & Hendrick.

We already saw the 3 game window last September, Cullen started all 3 games and was absolutely knackered by the 3rd game, got hooked after 60'. And that was early in the season when he was fresh! He can't start the game on Saturday.

I'm not arguing for Hourihane at all, in fact I don't think he should even be in the squad. Can't run, can't tackle, doesn't want to get on the ball but when he is he's far too slow in moving it. He literally hasn't started a competitive game for us since November 2020.
Kilkenny is very mobile and a quick thinker, he should be in ahead of Hourihane.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 5:30pm

I just can't agree with any of that really. Putting an exhausted XI out will not win the game. Mobility is such a huge part of International football.

Browne over the last 3 years has been a better performer for us than Hendrick (when he's played in his best position - AM). Molumby has put in MoTM performances in his early games for us. They are easily the better options to start rather than flogging the sh*t out of Cullen & Hendrick.

We already saw the 3 game window last September, Cullen started all 3 games and was absolutely knackered by the 3rd game, got hooked after 60'. And that was early in the season when he was fresh! He can't start the game on Saturday.

I'm not arguing for Hourihane at all, in fact I don't think he should even be in the squad. Can't run, can't tackle, doesn't want to get on the ball but when he is he's far too slow in moving it. He literally hasn't started a competitive game for us since November 2020.
Kilkenny is very mobile and a quick thinker, he should be in ahead of Hourihane.

At least we agree on Hourihane Smile 

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 5:35pm
Anyway I dont think it matters a whole lot who we put out, Scotland are a better team than our best XI (which we wont be fielding - I count at least 4 out now, possibly as many as 6). They also rested their first XI last night I believe. It will take a huge performance to get a result on Saturday - I just dont see it coming, but we live in hope!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

We'll surely start the below vs Scotland 

Collins - his passing was sometimes off but probably our best player 
Knight - was really good for 15 - 20 mins then faded.
Cullen  - did ok without being good.

The rest of the team is completely interchangeable as they clearly don't give a sh*t. 

More nonsense from you.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Greener92
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 7:24pm
Have one spare in 109 row X for this game. Looking for €40. PM if interested 

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man.

There’s no stopping what can’t be stopped 

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Well....what now?

Kenny tampers with the floodlights, gets the game abandoned and get awarded a drawLOL

Get it postponed and hastily arrange a friendly with Andorra.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Be thankful we didn’t get England, Holland or f**king Belgium; we’d be in danger of losing by 6 or 8 goals. 

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

We'll surely start the below vs Scotland 

Collins - his passing was sometimes off but probably our best player 
Knight - was really good for 15 - 20 mins then faded.
Cullen  - did ok without being good.

The rest of the team is completely interchangeable as they clearly don't give a sh*t. 

More nonsense from you.

+1

Total bollocks from the look-at-me daddy attention seeker on here.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 7:56pm
There's a serious player in Collins alright. Thought he was excellent yesterday 

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Be thankful we didn’t get England, Holland or f**king Belgium; we’d be in danger of losing by 6 or 8 goals. 

What do you mean be thankful? It was impossible because that's not how the the NL works. LOL

Posted By: delidamo
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 8:25pm
2 spare tickets together section 103, DM if interested. 

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 9:34pm
Mad we're not calling up Smallbone from the U21s for this, when we seem so short of creative midfield talent in the seniors. 

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

What do you mean be thankful? It was impossible because that's not how the the NL works. LOL

Don’t be pedantic, you know what I was saying. *Had we been in a position to be playing teams of that calibre* we would be embarrassed. 

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 9:39pm

Don’t be pedantic, you know what I was saying. *Had we been in a position to be playing teams of that calibre* we would be embarrassed. 
I didn't know what you were saying 

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Mad we're not calling up Smallbone from the U21s for this, when we seem so short of creative midfield talent in the seniors. 

Why is it mad. They've a chance to top their group and qualify automatically if they win on Tuesday against Italy

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:00pm

Like we were against Portugal?

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Like we were against Portugal?
Portugal were appalling on the night, but still a good result.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Why is it mad. They've a chance to top their group and qualify automatically if they win on Tuesday against Italy

Because it's a competitive game for the senior team - obviously.  And the one thing we are clearly short of is creativity.  

Using your logic, if we were to prioritise an underage game, we should send Knight, Parrott, Collins, Ebosele, Obafemi and Bazunu (if recovered) over to Italy with the U21s. 

In fact - maybe we should!  Give up on the senior team and go all out for the U21s!

(Actually, I'd like to see us field our strongest possible "under 21" XI if we qualify for the "U21" Euros).

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:26pm

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Because it's a competitive game for the senior team - obviously.  And the one thing we are clearly short of is creativity.  

Using your logic, if we were to prioritise an underage game, we should send Parrott, Collins, Ebosele and Obafemi over to Italy with the U21s. 

Maybe we should! (Certainly I'd like to see us field our strongest possible "under 21" XI if we qualify).
That wouldn't be very fair on the lads who actually helped us qualify.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:34pm
Lads Christie shouldn't be near the squad imo. He was chronic the other night. Did nothing goin forward whatsoever. No need to be selecting him again. Stevens i think is in the same boat. Hes just do lethargic in possession and generally gives it away. He hasnt the pace to even think about beating a defender either. I still think McClean has some value to the squad so i would keep him around. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Derm
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:35pm
4 premium tickets for BLK 327 for sale. DM for info

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:38pm
Just checked, Smallbone has 16 PL appearances over the years - and is in some form now.  

The cupboard is bare for us in creative midfield positions in this window - surely he should be with the seniors on merit now and actually get some game-time.  If not starting, to come on when the game opens up a bit.  

Can't be any worse creatively than what we've had so far in the last 20 min of games when we needed a goal (and probably be a big improvement).

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Lads Christie shouldn't be near the squad imo. He was chronic the other night. Did nothing goin forward whatsoever. No need to be selecting him again. Stevens i think is in the same boat. Hes just do lethargic in possession and generally gives it away. He hasnt the pace to even think about beating a defender either. I still think McClean has some value to the squad so i would keep him around. 

Stevens was awful. Christie was mediocre. Little threat going forward. But again, what world beaters do we have in reserve?

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:40pm
My starting team would be

Kelleher
Festy  Collins   Duffy   O'Shea    McClean

Browne  Cullen

Ogbene   Knight    Robinson

Obafemi

Hendrick Parrott Manning  Molumby Keane a mix to come on early if things go to pot.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:41pm
Was the "singing section" on strike against Ukraine?

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:44pm

Kelleher

Browne  Cullen

Obafemi

Hendrick Parrott Manning  Molumby Keane a mix to come on early if things go to pot.
Browne shouldn't even be in the squad, the definition of sh*tE.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:00pm

Kelleher

Browne  Cullen

Obafemi

It's a good lineup but we'd probably get booted out of the competition if we started twelve players.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:01pm

Kelleher

Browne  Cullen

Obafemi

It's a good lineup but we'd probably get booted out of the competition if we started twelve players.

Might be a better option

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:05pm
Nothing against Smallbone but there's no point throwing him in to the lion's den with all this needless expectation of him and have him getting criticised too if he doesn't step up with a great performance straight away.

It's a young lad who's started sporadically for Southampton and struggled in his limited appearances this season. I don't think he's the answer right now on short notice.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:14pm

Kelleher

Browne  Cullen

Obafemi

Hahah im getting mixed up!! I miss counted. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:17pm
                      Kelleher

Cullen

Obafemi

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:23pm

Kelleher

Cullen

Obafemi

Two man midfleld when Scotland are gonna have Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn, and probably Christie in midfield.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:44pm
Yep, absolutely no way we can go with a two man midfield here, it's their strongest area. We'll struggle with three in there to be honest. Knight is going to be run ragged again trying to do too many jobs by himself in attack and also off the ball.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

I didn't know what you were saying 

No harm done 👍🏼

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 5:09am

You could also argue that without Doherty, whose absence during this window has been under-emphasised in terms of how we attack through the middle of the pitch, we don't have the squad to play 3-5-2.

I don't see us getting a result against Scotland. I can't remember the last good performance we put in a "derby" game. Even the 1-0 win against Cardiff was a backs to the wall job. 

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 7:21am

Kelleher

Cullen

Obafemi

Jesus Cullen would be fetching water from a Leaky boat there.  Far too much pressure out on Cullen and would be destroyed by Scotland's midfield.  I think he needs an extra midfielder in there with Knight and drop Robinson who looks unfit/wrecked. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Greener92
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 10:14am

Duffy, Collins, Cullen, Ogbene, Robinson, Hendrick all playing the 2 games so far. I wonder if playing three games like this in a week will become too much.

Collins and Ogbene the only two that didn’t look gassed after 60 mins in both games. Can see Duffy starting tomorrow but the others could be replaced 

Posted By: Derm
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 10:42am
4 tickets for tomorrows match. BLK 327 premium level. Unable to attend due to illness. Message for details 

Posted By: Neil Armstrong
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 10:55am
Bump

Ticket in 120 available €30 Thumbs Up, cant make it myself now, can email it on.

-------------
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!

Posted By: djhegzy
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 11:00am
2x tickets 504, 25 each if anyone would want them!

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 11:09am
2 tickets available for 114. €40 for the pair 

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 11:58am
Just hope we hammer the Scots tomorrow , well will take any sort of win as i can't stand their fans anymore . Angry

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:00pm
Egan ruled out for tomorrow and Coleman has left camp.

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:03pm

Kelleher

Cullen

Obafemi

Jesus Cullen would be fetching water from a Leaky boat there.  Far too much pressure out on Cullen and would be destroyed by Scotland's midfield.  I think he needs an extra midfielder in there with Knight and drop Robinson who looks unfit/wrecked. 

I'll have to remember that turn of phrase.

Big smile

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:14pm
C Gordon
S McTominay
G Hanley
L Cooper
A Hickey
B Gilmour
C McGregor
A Robertson (c)
J McGinn
C Adams
L Dykes
SUBS
Hendry
S. Armstrong
Christie

That was Scotland's starting XI vs Ukraine for the WC Qualifier 2 weeks ago, so I'd imagine it will pretty similar to the side they field tomorrow. Anybody want to opine as to how many of the Irish players available for tomorrow would get in to that team? My own view is 2 max and that's a stretch!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Lansdown Roar
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:27pm
Seems to be a lot of Scottish fans around going by the o Connell street area 

-------------
They've only gone and done it

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:34pm
2 tickets for 116 - 80e Thumbs UpThumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:34pm
Four or five probably. A lot of those players are playing out of position to plug gaps so if you just throw up the names without the context of the positions they're being asked to play in it's a bit misleading.

Anyway the Scots have always been our sporting friends in my view, there when we needed them in 1987, and again with their balls up against Georgia opening the door for us in 2015. They've usually been good at rolling over for us in the rugby when needed as well.

Tomorrow they could honestly do us another favour by giving us a good beating, the last thing we need is to scrape a draw that people here start trying to paint as some kind of moral victory. We're a shambles at the moment and it's probably for the best now if they show us up as what we are.

Posted By: E2016
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:37pm

C Gordon
S McTominay
G Hanley
L Cooper
A Hickey
B Gilmour
C McGregor
A Robertson (c)
J McGinn
C Adams
L Dykes
SUBS
Hendry
S. Armstrong
Christie

That was Scotland's starting XI vs Ukraine for the WC Qualifier 2 weeks ago, so I'd imagine it will pretty similar to the side they field tomorrow. Anybody want to opine as to how many of the Irish players available for tomorrow would get in to that team? My own view is 2 max and that's a stretch!

2?? A p*sstake.

Bazunu or Travers over Craig Gordon.
Collins over McTominay.
Duffy over Liam Cooper.
Doherty (not in squad over Aaron Hickey)
Cullen over Gilmour (utterly atrocious at Norwich this season).
Obafemi over Dykes.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:38pm

Four or five probably. A lot of those players are playing out of position to plug gaps so if you just throw up the names without the context of the positions they're being asked to play in it's a bit misleading.

Anyway the Scots have always been our sporting friends in my view, there when we needed them in 1987, and again with their balls up against Georgia opening the door for us in 2015. They've usually been good at rolling over for us in the rugby when needed as well.

Tomorrow they could honestly do us another favour by giving us a good beating, the last thing we need is to scrape a draw that people here start trying to paint as some kind of moral victory. We're a shambles at the moment and it's probably for the best now if they show us up as what we are.
Hoping we lose to Scotland. You’re an embarrassment.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:49pm
I'd rather win and see things improve obviously. But if it's going to be another performance like the last three we'd be better off being beaten than scraping a draw out of the game that people can try to cling to as nonexistent progress to be honest.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 1:16pm

Name the 4 or 5 Irish players that are available for tomorrow that get in to that Scottish team please Bob!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

C Gordon
S McTominay
G Hanley
L Cooper
A Hickey
B Gilmour
C McGregor
A Robertson (c)
J McGinn
C Adams
L Dykes
SUBS
Hendry
S. Armstrong
Christie

2?? A p*sstake.

Collins over McTominay.
Duffy over Liam Cooper.
Obafemi over Dykes.

I asked how many of the Irish players available for tomorrow would get in to that team,so Doherty doesnt count. I'll give you Kelleher over Gordon Smile , Collins has clearly shown heaps of promise and I'm no Man United fan, but I reckon we could do with a United (or any Top 6 team) squad player in our team, Duffy atm ha - Obafemi vs Dykes hmmm close - Obafemi has a lot to prove. I'll also give you Cullen over Gilmour, but Gilmour has a much higher ceiling imo.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 1:28pm

As far as I can see there is one player being played oop in the team I listed and that's Mc Tominay who has over 100 PL appearances for a Top 6 club.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 1:34pm

As far as I can see there is one player being played oop in the team I listed and that's Mc Tominay who has over 100 PL appearances for a Top 6 club.

He might be a midfielder for a top 6 club but that doesn't make him a good centre back. Hickey was out of position on the right side of defence as well and played poorly.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 1:40pm

Name the 4 or 5 Irish players that are available for tomorrow that get in to that Scottish team please Bob!

Basically Kelleher or Travers over Gordon, pretty much any of our centre backs over any of their centre backs (you could argue the toss with Cooper maybe but Hanley is a terrible centre back and McTominay looks lost back there) and Obafemi over Dykes, who is a very limited player. I'd find a spot for Jason Knight too. Normally we'd have a better right back also, but an out of position Hickey v Christie is probably about a draw. A real shame McNamara was left out.

Obviously they're miles ahead of us at left back and in central midfield and, while I'm not a huge fan of Adams, we have nobody better up front at this point in time.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 1:41pm

He might be a midfielder for a top 6 club but that doesn't make him a good centre back. Hickey was out of position on the right side of defence as well and played poorly.

I didnt see the game and my understanding is that Hickey began his career as a RB, but I'll take your word for it. I am awre that hey alos often play Robertson as a LCB to accomodate Tierney at LWB (2 more Top 6 players). I'm not sure of Tierney's current state of health, he seems to be perpetually injured, good player though on his day.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 1:46pm

Basically Kelleher or Travers over Gordon, pretty much any of our centre backs over any of their centre backs (you could argue the toss with Cooper maybe but Hanley is a terrible centre back and McTominay looks lost back there) and Obafemi over Dykes, who is a very limited player. I'd find a spot for Jason Knight too. Normally we'd have a better right back also, but an out of position Hickey v Christie is probably about a draw. A real shame McNamara was left out.

Obviously they're miles ahead of us at left back and in central midfield and, while I'm not a huge fan of Adams, we have nobody better up front at this point in time.

Given the form of our CBs over the last couple of games i.e. Duffy and Egan, I'm not sure on that at all. Any of our keepers over Gordon is a fair shout and Dykes is probably on a par with Obafemi, although as someone else pointed out, he is unlikely to start tomorrow with Ryan Christie getting the nod instead in a 3-4-2-1. Dont see where Knight gets in to be honest (he should do in time). In any case, the 3 or 4 best players on the pitch will be Scottish. We will need to play well above ourselves to get a result of any description.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: TooOldForThis
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 1:49pm

Just hope we hammer the Scots tomorrow , well will take any sort of win as i can't stand their fans anymore . Angry
Absolutely agree with this Angry

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 1:55pm

Given the form of our CBs over the last couple of games i.e. Duffy and Egan, I'm not sure on that at all. Any of our keepers over Gordon is a fair shout and Dykes is probably on a par with Obafemi, although as someone else pointed out, he is unlikely to start tomorrow with Ryan Christie getting the nod instead in a 3-4-2-1. Dont see where Knight gets in to be honest (he should do in time). In any case, the 3 or 4 best players on the pitch will be Scottish. We will need to play well above ourselves to get a result of any description.

Ross Stewart may start tomorrow?

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: ErsatzThistle
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 1:59pm

You won't see Lyndon Dykes tomorrow, he is out injured. Liam Cooper has also been allowed to leave the squad to go and get married !

Aaron Hickey will not be starting at rwb, that will be Tony Ralston. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Hickey come on as a sub for Robertson in the second half.

You've got the Andy Robertson and Kieran Tierney situation the wrong way round. Tierney plays as an (attacking !) central defender, and Robertson stays at his usual position on the left. I'd certainly be more confident if KT was playing tomorrow, as we missed him terribly against Ukraine.

I wouldn't be too sure about seeing Grant Hanley and Scott McTominay at the back tomorrow. John Souttar, Jack Hendry and Scott McKenna played well together in defence against Armenia, and when McTominay was brought off the bench he went to play as an attacking midfielder.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

You won't see Lyndon Dykes tomorrow, he is out injured. Liam Cooper has also been allowed to leave the squad to go and get married !

Aaron Hickey will not be starting at rwb, that will be Tony Ralston. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Hickey come on as a sub for Robertson in the second half.

You've got the Andy Robertson and Kieran Tierney situation the wrong way round. Tierney plays as an (attacking !) central defender, and Robertson stays at his usual position on the left. I'd certainly be more confident if KT was playing tomorrow, as we missed him terribly against Ukraine.

I wouldn't be too sure about seeing Grant Hanley and Scott McTominay at the back tomorrow. John Souttar, Jack Hendry and Scott McKenna played well together in defence against Armenia, and when McTominay was brought off the bench he went to play as an attacking midfielder.

Cheers for the heads up, none of that makes me any more confident, your lads are in a much better place than ours just now. Hopefully home advantage and the "derby" atmosphere will even things up a bit.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 2:10pm

C Gordon
S McTominay
G Hanley
L Cooper
A Hickey
B Gilmour
C McGregor
A Robertson (c)
J McGinn
C Adams
L Dykes
SUBS
Hendry
S. Armstrong
Christie

2?? A p*sstake.

Collins over McTominay.
Duffy over Liam Cooper.
Obafemi over Dykes.

I asked how many of the Irish players available for tomorrow would get in to that team,so Doherty doesnt count. I'll give you Kelleher over Gordon Smile , Collins has clearly shown heaps of promise and I'm no Man United fan, but I reckon we could do with a United (or any Top 6 team) squad player in our team, Duffy atm ha - Obafemi vs Dykes hmmm close - Obafemi has a lot to prove. I'll also give you Cullen over Gilmour, but Gilmour has a much higher ceiling imo.
Obafemi can’t even get a start for us!!!

Posted By: E2016
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

C Gordon
S McTominay
G Hanley
L Cooper
A Hickey
B Gilmour
C McGregor
A Robertson (c)
J McGinn
C Adams
L Dykes
SUBS
Hendry
S. Armstrong
Christie

2?? A p*sstake.

Collins over McTominay.
Duffy over Liam Cooper.
Obafemi over Dykes.

Obafemi can’t even get a start for us!!!

And Dykes often cannot get a start for QPR, who I've gone to see in person multiple times over the season just gone. Obafemi is better, theres no doubt about it.

Posted By: ErsatzThistle
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 2:13pm

Cheers for the heads up, none of that makes me any more confident, your lads are in a much better place than ours just now. Hopefully home advantage and the "derby" atmosphere will even things up a bit.

If it's any consolation, many of us view this game as a potential banana skin (I certainly do) and 1-1 is the most common predicted score over on the TAMB.

I do think this is a better Scotland squad than the one that visited Dublin back in June 2015 but I would not underestimate Ireland for one second.

If Tierney was there and Nathan Patterson was fully fit (he is in the squad and made a sub appearance against Armenia, but he is only 50% fit at best) then I would be more confident.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net