You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 199>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 11:57am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

The Ukrainians seem to be holding out for now and even counter attacking in the Kherson region. If they manage to hold current lines long enough for the next wave of western weapons to arrive I think the Russian offensive will fall apart.

Putin now saying Kyiv is preventing peace talks from happening. That suggests Russia wants out and Kyiv are in this for the long hall. I hope they don't concede and force the Russians out. Warms my heart to see the Ukrainians putting up a fight. Too many soup takers in this world.

Right on

Edited by B6 6HE - 30 May 2022 at 12:36pm
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 1:05pm
The Russians will leave the place in tatters. The money required to build it again will be huge. I am assuming that the yanks will be there with offers and deals which Putin has facilitated with his ego war. 
Surely the inner circle must be looking at ways of taking Putin down. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
More Anne View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote More Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

The Ukrainians seem to be holding out for now and even counter attacking in the Kherson region. If they manage to hold current lines long enough for the next wave of western weapons to arrive I think the Russian offensive will fall apart.

Putin now saying Kyiv is preventing peace talks from happening. That suggests Russia wants out and Kyiv are in this for the long hall. I hope they don't concede and force the Russians out. Warms my heart to see the Ukrainians putting up a fight. Too many soup takers in this world.

Right on

You seem to take a very pro-Russian stance with all your posts. Why so?
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

The Russians will leave the place in tatters. The money required to build it again will be huge. I am assuming that the yanks will be there with offers and deals which Putin has facilitated with his ego war. 
Surely the inner circle must be looking at ways of taking Putin down. 

the EU plans to set up a fund to help with the rebuild which will include reparations from russia. many Irish developers will see this as a business opportunity much in the same way they did when moving into eastern europe in the early to mid noughties - which is no bad thing as the ukrainians will need a lot of international assistance when this is all over. 

as for putin well he's almost 70 now which is passed the life expectancy of the average male russian, he's unlikely to be around for long more.

Edited by colemanY2K - 30 May 2022 at 2:21pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 2:40pm
below is a segment of the pretty impressive plan the EU has proposed to put in place to help with the rebuild.

Reconstruction of Ukraine

A major global financial effort will be required to rebuild the country after the war damage, to create the foundations of a free and prosperous country, anchored in European values, well integrated into the European and global economy, and to support it on its European path. While Russia's aggression continues, the overall needs for the reconstruction of Ukraine are not yet known. Nevertheless, it is important to design the main building blocks of this international effort already now. Support will have to have a medium to long-term horizon.

The reconstruction effort should be led by the Ukrainian authorities in close partnership with the European Union and other key partners, such as G7 and G20 partners, and other third countries, as well as international financial institutions and international organisations. Partnerships between cities and regions in the European Union and those in Ukraine will enrich and accelerate reconstruction.

An international coordination platform, the ‘Ukraine reconstruction platform', co-led by the Commission representing the European Union and by the Ukrainian government, would work as an overarching strategic governance body, responsible for endorsing a reconstruction plan, drawn up and implemented by Ukraine, with administrative capacity support and technical assistance by the EU. It would bring together the supporting partners and organisations, including EU Member States, other bilateral and multilateral partners and international financial institutions. The Ukrainian Parliament and the European Parliament would participate as observers.

The ‘RebuildUkraine' reconstruction plan endorsed by the platform, based on a needs assessment, would become the basis for the European Union and the other partners to determine the priority areas selected for financing and the specific projects. The platform would coordinate the financing sources and their destination to optimise their use, as well as monitor progress in the implementation of the plan.

To support the reconstruction plan, the Commission proposes to set up the ‘RebuildUkraine' Facility as the main legal instrument for the European Union's support, through a mix of grants and loans. It would be embedded in the EU budget, thereby ensuring the transparency, accountability and sound financial management of this initiative, with a clear link to investments and reforms. It would build on the EU's experience under the Recovery and Resilience Facility, but adapted to the unprecedented challenges of reconstructing Ukraine and accompanying it on its European path. The Facility itself would have a specific governance structure ensuring full ownership by Ukraine.

A significant emphasis will be put on the rule of law reforms and fight against corruption, whilst investments, brought in line with climate, environmental and digital EU policies and standards, will help Ukraine emerge stronger and more resilient from the devastation of the Russian invasion.

The unforeseen needs created by war in Europe are well beyond the means available in the current multiannual financial framework. Therefore, new financing sources will have to be identified.

The architecture suggested is sufficiently flexible to accommodate such new financing sources. The additional grants to be made available to Ukraine could be financed either by additional contributions from Member States (and third countries should they wish to do so) to the Facility and existing Union programmes, thus benefitting from the Union's financial mechanisms and safeguards for the proper use of funds, or through a targeted revision of the multiannual financial framework. These sources could also finance the loans to be granted to Ukraine under the Facility. However, given the scale of the loans that are likely to be required, options include raising the funds for the loans on behalf of the EU or with Member States national guarantees.

Edited by colemanY2K - 30 May 2022 at 2:48pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by More Anne More Anne wrote:

Right on

No. Just pragmatic. 

In a few months, Europe will be begging Putin for gas. Begging.

Prepare for the mother of all recessions.

The real economy is grinding to a halt.

Thats where the sanctions have got us.

Ruble continues to get stronger.

More Anne View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote More Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 7:56pm

Right on

No. Just pragmatic. 

What do you think Europe and the west should do about Russia's war on Ukraine?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 11:25pm

Right on

No. Just pragmatic. 

your timing is epic LOL

the eu in the past hour has agreed the following...

#Unity Agreement to ban export of Russian oil to the EU.  This immediately covers more than 2/3 of oil imports from Russia, cutting a huge source of financing for its war machine.  Maximum pressure on Russia to end the war.  #EUCO

This sanctions package includes other hard-hitting measures: de-Swifting the largest Russian bank Sberbank, banning 3 more Russian state-owned broadcasters, and sanctioning individuals responsible for war crimes in #Ukraine #EUCO

UPDATE: it gets better...russian oil imports will be slashed from an immediate reduction of 66% to 90% by the end of the year.

Russia has chosen to continue its war in Ukraine. Tonight, as Europeans, united and in solidarity with the Ukrainian people, we are taking new decisive sanctions. We have decided to stop importing 90% of Russian oil by the end of 2022.

Edited by colemanY2K - 31 May 2022 at 12:04am
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 9:41am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Right on

No. Just pragmatic. 

your timing is epic LOL

#Unity Agreement to ban export of Russian oil to the EU.  This immediately covers more than 2/3 of oil imports from Russia, cutting a huge source of financing for its war machine.  Maximum pressure on Russia to end the war.  #EUCO

This sanctions package includes other hard-hitting measures: de-Swifting the largest Russian bank Sberbank, banning 3 more Russian state-owned broadcasters, and sanctioning individuals responsible for war crimes in #Ukraine #EUCO

UPDATE: it gets better...russian oil imports will be slashed from an immediate reduction of 66% to 90% by the end of the year.

Russia has chosen to continue its war in Ukraine. Tonight, as Europeans, united and in solidarity with the Ukrainian people, we are taking new decisive sanctions. We have decided to stop importing 90% of Russian oil by the end of 2022.

Enjoy the enormous increase in the cost of living, fuel rationing and an inevitable recession. 

Hungary still able to get Russian oil however.

Edited by B6 6HE - 31 May 2022 at 9:55am
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 10:00am

Enjoy the enormous increase in the cost of living, fuel rationing and an inevitable recession. 

what exactly do you think millions of refugees flooding into the EU fleeing a newly conquered Ukraine by Russia will do ? - we will be paying for it one way or the other and i know where i would want the money to go 

if you think its bad now imagine if they had overrun their whole country. Fair fuks to them  - it is in everybodys interest that Russia doesnt succeed 

Edited by Newryrep - 31 May 2022 at 10:01am
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

what exactly do you think millions of refugees flooding into the EU fleeing a newly conquered Ukraine by Russia will do ? - we will be paying for it one way or the other and i know where i would want the money to go 

if you think its bad now imagine if they had overrun their whole country. Fair fuks to them  - it is in everybodys interest that Russia doesnt succeed 

save your breath responding with the obvious, it's best to just respond with facts debunking his commentary. if he believes ukraine should come to some sort of accommodation with serial rapists, murderers and torturers then that's a fairly poor reflection on him. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 10:20am

Right on

No. Just pragmatic. 

your timing is epic LOL

so what should we do then? the effects of the current economic crisis is being compounded by the war - it is not because of the war. you may remember there is still a pandemic ongoing, have you seen shanghai lately? what's happening in china is having a significant impact, the worlds largest producer of goods has millions of people under lockdown. 

p.s. the oil hungary buys is a drop in the ocean. it won't save russia from bankruptcy.

Edited by colemanY2K - 31 May 2022 at 10:27am
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 10:37am

save your breath responding with the obvious, it's best to just respond with facts debunking his commentary. if he believes ukraine should come to some sort of accommodation with serial rapists, murderers and torturers then that's a fairly poor reflection on him. 

My commentary is on the economic effects of these sanctions on Europe. How is that debunked? 

We are walking into a serious economic issue. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 11:00am

My commentary is on the economic effects of these sanctions on Europe. How is that debunked? 

What solutions do you propose?
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 11:11am

What do you think the Russians are walking into economy wise?
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

We are heavily reliant on Russia for energy. There are no immediate alternatives. Therefore,  sanctions are going to be harmful. The cost of living here will explode. Poverty will rise massively. These actions have consequences.

The solution is peace. We sacrificed our own nationalistic ambitions and territorial claims for peace. Ukraine are never getting crimea or east back. Not unless we have WW3. So may as well advocate a settlement. 
More Anne View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote More Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 12:37pm

We are heavily reliant on Russia for energy. There are no immediate alternatives. Therefore,  sanctions are going to be harmful. The cost of living here will explode. Poverty will rise massively. These actions have consequences.

The solution is peace. We sacrificed our own nationalistic ambitions and territorial claims for peace. Ukraine are never getting crimea or east back. Not unless we have WW3. So may as well advocate a settlement. 
It would fairly hard to put into words the delusion and moral bankruptcy of this stance. 

Are you Mick Wallace?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 1:33pm

that is the approach of a coward and besides it was tried before without much success!

to quote the latvian prime minister 

“The only way to get a lasting peace and security is by Russia losing, because anything else that Russia does not perceive as a loss means that it’s just a way-station. So maybe the conflict slows down now … it’s frozen, as many conflicts had been in the past … and then Russia would understand, ‘hey, this worked, land grab worked, nothing really happened,’ continue to rebuild its military and move forward, whether it’s in Ukraine, or Moldova, or Georgia or Kazakhstan or elsewhere. That is what will lead to long-term instability.”

...and he should know!

Edited by colemanY2K - 31 May 2022 at 2:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 199>
  Share Topic