You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Portugal match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:40pm
Anti-Kenny brigade really can't handle progress under him, can they? That wasn't brilliant but we are a team again, lots of young lads progressing against a team worth 100 of millions, Ronaldo, bruno, Felixstowe etc. not a great performance, but we more than matched a top 5 team in Europe, the negativity from some is astounding, we have 2 pl regulars ffs, get a grip, we are steadily improving and the age profile of the squad is very young in intl ft all terms. give kenny 3 years with these lads and we will be among the top ten in europe
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

i though mcclean was very poor in the short time he was on the pitch

Did anyone expect any better?

I stated on here the other day yours truly would be a liability against this outfit if on the field and of course posters lined up to be offended on his behalf "he always gets the blame" yada yada. He wasn't on long but it was more then enough to make said negative impact. 

I'd play him against Luxembourg Tuesday mind. Would offer slightly more attacking endeavour then Stevens. I do hope Furlong Adaramola Bagan etc progress in the coming years we do have aging LWBs.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Probably not going to be the most popular opinion but missed connollys guile, movement and directness in that game. 
Agree 100pc, he's a super little player
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:46pm
I thought that was good. More then matched a top 6/8 team in Europe. They had more ball of course but that's to be expected. I think if Idah started Pepe/Danilo would have been sent off after 60 minutes not 80. Missed his presence and his ability to bully the two boys. Ogbene would be better off the bench. 

It's another clean sheet. We have won a few football matches and 3 clean sheets now. We needed to start keeping clean sheets and that's another one. It's important we back it up now against Luxembourg keep another clean sheet and from there every chance we score a goal or two to get us 3rd place. If our first two games in a Euro qualifier was a top seed at home and a solid 4th seed away and we got a draw and a win then we'd say "great start we have a real look in at qualifying". That's the key now to win these bread and butter games away to solid 4th seed teams.

We also had a disallowed goal as well. Pathetically soft but that's the modern game isn't it. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:51pm
[QUOTE=kevin100]I thought that was good. More then matched a top 6/8 team in Europe. They had more ball of course but that's to be expected. I think if Idah started Pepe/Danilo would have been sent off after 60 minutes not 80. Missed his presence and his ability to bully the two boys. Ogbene would be better off the bench. 

It's another clean sheet. We have won a few football matches and 3 clean sheets now. We needed to start keeping clean sheets and that's another one. It's important we back it up now against Luxembourg keep another clean sheet and from there every chance we score a goal or two to get us 3rd place. If our first two games in a Euro qualifier was a top seed at home and a solid 4th seed away and we got a draw and a win then we'd say "great start we have a real look in at qualifying". That's the key now to win these bread and butter games away to solid 4th seed teams.

We also had a disallowed goal as well. Pathetically soft but that's the modern game isn't it. 
[/QUOTE
Agree with this analysis, my assumption is that Idah was saved for lux, ditto the Hendrick substitution, thought Jeff was excellent again. Ogbene will be a great impact sub, but he was muck for the first half hour, didn't know what he was doing, great potential, but a long way off intl class yet
Idah Dream!
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:55pm
Back on the bus in time thank f**k 

Overall happy with the 0-0, almost killed the person next to me near the end when I thought we scored LOL. Was an odd game not many shots but was a great game to be at. I would love Serbia to catch Portugal and beat them Sunday

All about that win on Sunday and to keep our seeding. 3rd or 4th seeding would be dangerous territory

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:01pm
Solid tonight.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:03pm
Ratings for the craic and judging by comments, there will be a lot of disagreement with this
Baz 6 some ultra dodgy passes to players under serious pressure, it's only a matter of time lads
Matt 7 faded as the game wore on
seamus 6 a few crowd pleases on Ronaldo but will never be a cb
shane 8 excellent, such improvement
Egan 6 short on confidence
enda 7 did well
josh 8 steady
Jeff 8 excellent, him and josh are a great pair, both dealt well with gavs medicine balls
jamie 7 clever player, his off the ball work can go unnoticed
chiedozie 6 terrible 30 mins but improved as game went on
callum, mom ha, better when playing off the left

stephen 7 subs were meh, but I assume he had lux in mind, players all giving their all for him, brave selection which he got away with, I expect Idah, Jimmy and Nat will start vs lux
Idah Dream!
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:03pm
they are being lads from Athletico Madrid of the bench and we threw on a 28 year old league one striker for his debut. And we were still the better team.

The damage Wes would have done in a Stephen Kenny team 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Probably not going to be the most popular opinion but missed connollys guile, movement and directness in that game. 

Bollocks.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

they are being lads from Athletico Madrid of the bench and we threw on a 28 year old league one striker for his debut. And we were still the better team.

Absolutely!! Will Keane did look the part in his very brief cameo. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Absolutely!! Will Keane did look the part in his very brief cameo. 

This. I'd actually start him in one or even both friendlies in March if he keeps doing his stuff at club level get a proper look at him. Almost certainly better then a League 1 player and looks more mobile then Collins. 

Edited by kevin100 - 11 Nov 2021 at 11:29pm
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:29pm
Opportunity lost tonight, great atmosphere but we still lack that killer instinct. Great to get back to the aviva!!!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:09am
We're we that good or were Portugal sh*t ? 

Would not surprise me if Serbia catch them on the hop. Would love to see it 
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

I've a feeling that neither team played to their full capacity.

But a 0-0 draw against them is an excellent result, especially as it was fully earned and didn't flatter us at all.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:15am

Mate mentioned to me the disparity in resources when JoĆ£o Felix and Renato Sanches came on. 

Yeah, well they've hardly hit the ground running and fulfilled their potential at any club they've joined, have they?

38 year old head the ball in defense, partnered by someone playing out of position. Nunes looked clueless. Bruno Fernandes looks a different player at national team level to the one who lights up Old Trafford. Semedo hit and miss. Dalot a squad player at United and then Milan.

And, let's face it, as remarkable as he is - there is the debate that having Ronaldo in that side stifles some of their players.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:21am

One of the pitch invasions ended well with the kid getting the Jersey 

Cant complain much as I was very lucky to have a ticket but nah lower level for soccer is not for me. Upper level for the win 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:28am

Portugal left out half their team tonight to avoid suspensions and played with a view to a draw being a decent result. So I wouldn't judge them too much based on tonight. Having said that, they have looked less than the sum of their parts for a few years now, so it's not impossible that Serbia take them. But they'll probably find a way to get the point they need, with some refereeing assistance thrown in if it comes to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
  Share Topic