FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Portugal match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:46pm
I thought that was good. More then matched a top 6/8 team in Europe. They had more ball of course but that's to be expected. I think if Idah started Pepe/Danilo would have been sent off after 60 minutes not 80. Missed his presence and his ability to bully the two boys. Ogbene would be better off the bench. 

It's another clean sheet. We have won a few football matches and 3 clean sheets now. We needed to start keeping clean sheets and that's another one. It's important we back it up now against Luxembourg keep another clean sheet and from there every chance we score a goal or two to get us 3rd place. If our first two games in a Euro qualifier was a top seed at home and a solid 4th seed away and we got a draw and a win then we'd say "great start we have a real look in at qualifying". That's the key now to win these bread and butter games away to solid 4th seed teams.

We also had a disallowed goal as well. Pathetically soft but that's the modern game isn't it. 
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Probably not going to be the most popular opinion but missed connollys guile, movement and directness in that game. 
Agree 100pc, he's a super little player
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

i though mcclean was very poor in the short time he was on the pitch

Did anyone expect any better?

I stated on here the other day yours truly would be a liability against this outfit if on the field and of course posters lined up to be offended on his behalf "he always gets the blame" yada yada. He wasn't on long but it was more then enough to make said negative impact. 

I'd play him against Luxembourg Tuesday mind. Would offer slightly more attacking endeavour then Stevens. I do hope Furlong Adaramola Bagan etc progress in the coming years we do have aging LWBs.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:40pm
Anti-Kenny brigade really can't handle progress under him, can they? That wasn't brilliant but we are a team again, lots of young lads progressing against a team worth 100 of millions, Ronaldo, bruno, Felixstowe etc. not a great performance, but we more than matched a top 5 team in Europe, the negativity from some is astounding, we have 2 pl regulars ffs, get a grip, we are steadily improving and the age profile of the squad is very young in intl ft all terms. give kenny 3 years with these lads and we will be among the top ten in europe
Idah Dream!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:36pm
Probably not going to be the most popular opinion but missed connollys guile, movement and directness in that game. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:34pm
Duffy would have got MOM for me
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

Thought Brady was right, a damp squib. We never went for it. Henderick back to his old ways of passing back without even a consideration for a forward pass; stevens likewise. If supporters are happy with that then fair enough but I think I we have enough in us to attach & go after a win. Doherty, Coleman, Duffy, ogbene, CR were really good I thought. No one really bad. Just wish we went for it.
laughable!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Good performance. Didnt think CR was MOTM

Seamus Coleman the top man for me.

Totally agree.. Coleman was back to his best. It's very clear that under Kenny players like Coleman, Doherty and Hendrick are actually showing more class and showing why they've played premier league football for so long.
Coleman was in no way mom, he was responsible for 3 of Portugal biggest chances, he isn't a cb and never will be, he did ok playing oop. our best players were Hendrick, Duffy and cullen by a distance
Idah Dream!
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:28pm
Between Coleman and Duffy for MOTM though Robinson always our best threat the other end. Need to beat Luxembourg now, keep the momentum going. I'd like to see Keano get more time on the field for this one.
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:27pm
I enjoyed the way Portugal didn't enjoy playing against us.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Pepe unlucky to see red, disgraceful cheating from the mom, otherwise we got f**k all from the officials. Great point which arguably could have been 3?
Thought Steven Kennys subs were poor, lost a lot of momentum there.
Between Duffy Ogbene Hendrick and Coleman for mom can’t call it.
Lovely to see us try to play football though.Clap
get a grip, Ogbene got a yellow first half for a lesser elbow. peeps first was harsh, but the second was worse than ogbenes
Idah Dream!
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

i though mcclean was very poor in the short time he was on the pitch

Did anyone expect any better?
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Thought Coleman was the clear MOM alright. Robinson was a bizarre call, he didn't really do anything other than get Pepe sent off.
Must have been Robinson’s ma chose that!
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:13pm
Coleman was very good alright, but for me duffy was the best. Good i though mcclean was very poor in the short time he was on the pitch

Edited by aviva8 - 11 Nov 2021 at 10:13pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:10pm
Thought Coleman was the clear MOM alright. Robinson was a bizarre call, he didn't really do anything other than get Pepe sent off.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:10pm
One hugely encouraging sign is how few chances Portugal created - because we wouldn't let them. That Ronaldo header that flashed wide was probably their only genuine opportunity. Bazunu scarcely had a save to make.
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:09pm
Thought Idah did well,, very delicate control. Decion making was only ok but he's still very young.

Don't get why Hourihane was brought on, he covers so little ground and does everything so pedestrian, wanted more legs.

Good performance overall, truly incredible some people are being so negative.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:04pm
You could buy our whole squad and probably get change from the fee paid for Joao Felix who was on the bench. 

Hendrick isn’t playing much at club level, neither is Doherty. Ogbene and Bazunu playing League 1, McGrath in the Scottish league.

To not only match, but probably outplay (slightly) Portugal is a good night. Some excellent performances.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
  Share Topic