You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mark Sykes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mark Sykes
    Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 6:17pm
Reports stating that Sykes was "very close" to being called up after conversations with Stephen Kenny six months ago.

He's scored his fourth of the season today with Oxford in the playoff positions.

Good to see he's finally started adding goals to his game.
Sponsored Links

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 10:04pm
Oxford made the play-offs the last two seasons and could well go up this time. Sykes was outstanding for Glenavon in the Irish League as a teenager starring in men's football but it was his performances for the NI under-21s that attracted cross channel interest and he had trials with higher league clubs before signing for Oxford. Gary Hamilton, his manager at Glenavon and a former NI international, reckoned he would make the PL sooner or later and I wouldn't argue with that.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 4:42pm
Another goal today. 6 in 17 league games. One to watch.
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Another goal today. 6 in 17 league games. One to watch.

I would like to see him in the squad
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 8:24pm
7 in 19 games for Sykes after he opened the scoring tonight for Oxford.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 4:43pm
Scores again.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:37am
According to reports, Huddersfield are one of several teams chasing his signature as his contract winds down.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:46am

According to reports, Huddersfield are one of several teams chasing his signature as his contract winds down.

Dr. Richard Kimble is also chasing him
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Dr. Richard Kimble is also chasing him

ffs LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 12:36pm
8 league goals already this season with only 1 in the previous 2 and a half season at that level with Oxford. I know the lad was keen to come onboard with us and he has expressed that clearly. But it does seem from quotes that Kenny was involved in bringing him on board. Kenny has shown a few times that he can spot players capable of playing at a higher level. Now, he does seem to think that most Irish players can play at higher levels (see quotes re John Egan and Champions League) but McGrath, Ogbene and Bazunu have shown well for him given where their club experience has been earned. Hopefully Sykes can follow suit. I haven't seen enough of him to comment but he's a big lad who can move and score. And I love his quotes about representing us. Fingers crossed. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 1:29pm
I'd love to see him called up. But I accept that I am 100% biased towards the lad since his "1 cap for Ireland would mean more than 50 for NI" comments. Playing well and with a positive attitude like that towards the national team, how could you not want him involved?

There were reports that he had been close to a call up just after he declared for us, but narrowly missed out at the time. He has kicked on since then at club level though.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 1:42pm
A move to the Championship in this wondow, followed up by some promising games at that level could see him there or thereabouts come March.
Looks a decent player at L1 level but hopfully it won't be long before we won't have to dip down that low for our squad.

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'd love to see him called up. But I accept that I am 100% biased towards the lad since his "1 cap for Ireland would mean more than 50 for NI" comments. Playing well and with a positive attitude like that towards the national team, how could you not want him involved?

There were reports that he had been close to a call up just after he declared for us, but narrowly missed out at the time. He has kicked on since then at club level though.

Yeah, he said the thought of playing for Ireland was "breathtaking" as well. Would love to see him get the call. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 8:22pm
Wigan have made a late move for him.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 8:29pm
Out of contract in the summer too.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 8:51pm
A very good assist from Sykes tonight, deserves a place in squad next game ahead of Horgan anyway. Having a fine season and will be at least a Championship player next season.

In fact looking at it again he has turned into Ronaldinho for about 30 seconds, incredible.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 01 Feb 2022 at 9:08pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 9:44pm
Except Ronaldinho wouldn't have been as explosive during the build up. Looks great..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 10:44pm
If there's space for one uncapped midfielder in the squad for March, unless Kilkenny gets another good run of first team football, Sykes is the one I'd like to see come in. Taylor and Coventry have been called up previously but he's ahead of both of those for me at the moment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic