Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58035
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 5:33pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mark Sykes
Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Subject: Mark Sykes
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 6:17pm
Reports stating that Sykes was "very close" to being called up after conversations with Stephen Kenny six months ago.

He's scored his fourth of the season today with Oxford in the playoff positions.

Good to see he's finally started adding goals to his game.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Replies:
Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 10:04pm
Oxford made the play-offs the last two seasons and could well go up this time. Sykes was outstanding for Glenavon in the Irish League as a teenager starring in men's football but it was his performances for the NI under-21s that attracted cross channel interest and he had trials with higher league clubs before signing for Oxford. Gary Hamilton, his manager at Glenavon and a former NI international, reckoned he would make the PL sooner or later and I wouldn't argue with that.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 4:42pm
Another goal today. 6 in 17 league games. One to watch.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Frabhoy
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Another goal today. 6 in 17 league games. One to watch.

I would like to see him in the squad

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 8:24pm
7 in 19 games for Sykes after he opened the scoring tonight for Oxford.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 4:43pm
Scores again.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:37am
According to reports, Huddersfield are one of several teams chasing his signature as his contract winds down.

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:46am

According to reports, Huddersfield are one of several teams chasing his signature as his contract winds down.

Dr. Richard Kimble is also chasing him

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Dr. Richard Kimble is also chasing him

ffs LOL

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 12:36pm
8 league goals already this season with only 1 in the previous 2 and a half season at that level with Oxford. I know the lad was keen to come onboard with us and he has expressed that clearly. But it does seem from quotes that Kenny was involved in bringing him on board. Kenny has shown a few times that he can spot players capable of playing at a higher level. Now, he does seem to think that most Irish players can play at higher levels (see quotes re John Egan and Champions League) but McGrath, Ogbene and Bazunu have shown well for him given where their club experience has been earned. Hopefully Sykes can follow suit. I haven't seen enough of him to comment but he's a big lad who can move and score. And I love his quotes about representing us. Fingers crossed. 

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 1:29pm
I'd love to see him called up. But I accept that I am 100% biased towards the lad since his "1 cap for Ireland would mean more than 50 for NI" comments. Playing well and with a positive attitude like that towards the national team, how could you not want him involved?

There were reports that he had been close to a call up just after he declared for us, but narrowly missed out at the time. He has kicked on since then at club level though.

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 1:42pm
A move to the Championship in this wondow, followed up by some promising games at that level could see him there or thereabouts come March.
Looks a decent player at L1 level but hopfully it won't be long before we won't have to dip down that low for our squad.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'd love to see him called up. But I accept that I am 100% biased towards the lad since his "1 cap for Ireland would mean more than 50 for NI" comments. Playing well and with a positive attitude like that towards the national team, how could you not want him involved?

There were reports that he had been close to a call up just after he declared for us, but narrowly missed out at the time. He has kicked on since then at club level though.

Yeah, he said the thought of playing for Ireland was "breathtaking" as well. Would love to see him get the call. 

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 8:22pm
Wigan have made a late move for him.

-------------

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 8:29pm
Out of contract in the summer too.

Posted By: JoxerDaly
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 8:51pm
A very good assist from Sykes tonight, deserves a place in squad next game ahead of Horgan anyway. Having a fine season and will be at least a Championship player next season.

In fact looking at it again he has turned into Ronaldinho for about 30 seconds, incredible.

https://twitter.com/ConnorGiltrap/status/1488616456208146432?t=KuESxIzXH8px0Rw_GjQcEw&s=19" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/ConnorGiltrap/status/1488616456208146432?t=KuESxIzXH8px0Rw_GjQcEw&s=19

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 9:44pm
Except Ronaldinho wouldn't have been as explosive during the build up. Looks great..

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 10:44pm
If there's space for one uncapped midfielder in the squad for March, unless Kilkenny gets another good run of first team football, Sykes is the one I'd like to see come in. Taylor and Coventry have been called up previously but he's ahead of both of those for me at the moment.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 12:45pm
Reported to be in the squad. Not a surprise, Hendrick has been fine recently but we still need to strengthen that position and Sykes has been going very well for Oxford.

Glad to see after he switched from the North without any guarantees of anything from us, looks like it could work out for him.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 12:49pm

Reported to be in the squad. Not a surprise, Hendrick has been fine recently but we still need to strengthen that position and Sykes has been going very well for Oxford.

Glad to see after he switched from the North without any guarantees of anything from us, looks like it could work out for him.

Explains his reasons here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/punditarena.com/irish-football/robredmond/mark-sykes-republic-of-ireland-northern-ireland-1/%3famp" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.com/amp/s/punditarena.com/irish-football/robredmond/mark-sykes-republic-of-ireland-northern-ireland-1/%3famp

In what other line of work, would an employer or someone in an authoritative position be allowed to interrogate someone about religious beliefs BTW? How on earth would a conversation about football matters go into a tangent about what denomination his girlfriend is? 

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 1:27pm

Explains his reasons here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/punditarena.com/irish-football/robredmond/mark-sykes-republic-of-ireland-northern-ireland-1/%3famp" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.com/amp/s/punditarena.com/irish-football/robredmond/mark-sykes-republic-of-ireland-northern-ireland-1/%3famp

In what other line of work, would an employer or someone in an authoritative position be allowed to interrogate someone about religious beliefs BTW? How on earth would a conversation about football matters go into a tangent about what denomination his girlfriend is? 

There is nothing in that article that remotely suggests Sykes was interrogated as to his partners religion. He is clearly quoted as him saying it.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 1:35pm
The subject came up, it matters little who raised it and Sykes got his share of sectarian abuse from the usual knuckleheads for his decision. A couple of capped players, Liam Boyce and Michael Smith of Hearts, have since left the NI squad though their reasons have not been publicised. I hope Sykes gets and takes his chance, he's a top player.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

The subject came up, it matters little who raised it and Sykes got his share of sectarian abuse from the usual knuckleheads for his decision. A couple of capped players, Liam Boyce and Michael Smith of Hearts, have since left the NI squad though their reasons have not been publicised. I hope Sykes gets and takes his chance, he's a top player.
Of course it matters who raised it when HH lays the blame at Barracloughs door based on that article when there is nothing in the article to suggest anything other than Sykes mentioning religion.

The actions of knuckledraggers is not what HH referenced. Of course religion should not be a factor. Nobody said it should.

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 2:03pm

The subject came up, it matters little who raised it and Sykes got his share of sectarian abuse from the usual knuckleheads for his decision. A couple of capped players, Liam Boyce and Michael Smith of Hearts, have since left the NI squad though their reasons have not been publicised.

"Michael Smith"?

Are you making an assumption there?

Ermm

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Of course it matters who raised it when HH lays the blame at Barracloughs door based on that article when there is nothing in the article to suggest anything other than Sykes mentioning religion.

The actions of knuckledraggers is not what HH referenced. Of course religion should not be a factor. Nobody said it should.

I was expressing my bemusement at how Mark Sykes felt the need to justify declaring for RoI by using his partner's religious denomination as mitigation.

It shouldn't have come into the conversation at all. Yet it's a talking point virtually every single time.

MON and Baraclough have continuously brought players religious faiths into the conversation about this topic.

MON accused IRL of initiating contact with Paddy McNair because he has an Irish sounding name (there's no proof of this whatsoever, much like his assertion that the FAI tapped up the McEneff brothers). 

It's absurd just typing that out. Are Gibson, Wilson and Sykes Irish sounding names as well?

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 2:31pm

I was expressing my bemusement at how Mark Sykes felt the need to justify declaring for RoI by using his wife's religious denomination as mitigation.

It shouldn't have come into the conversation at all. Yet it's a talking point virtually every single time.
This is what you posted…

In what other line of work, would an employer or someone in an authoritative position be allowed to interrogate someone about religious beliefs BTW?

Thats not expressing bemusement at Sykes feeling he had to say anything, its clearly stating that Barraclough interrogated him. 

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 2:37pm

I was expressing my bemusement at how Mark Sykes felt the need to justify declaring for RoI by using his wife's religious denomination as mitigation.

This is what you posted…

In what other line of work, would an employer or someone in an authoritative position be allowed to interrogate someone about religious beliefs BTW?

Thats not expressing bemusement at Sykes feeling he had to say anything, its clearly stating that Barraclough interrogated him. 

So you think Sykes brought his partner's religion up for no reason with no context? If that's what you think, fair enough but I beg to differ.

Especially given Baraclough's predecessor's obsession with discussing footballers religions.

And getting them wrong - Eunan O'Kane is a humanist.

Not that it should matter.

-------------

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 2:43pm

MON accused IRL of initiating contact with Paddy McNair because he has an Irish sounding name (there's no proof of this whatsoever

I know for a fact from a friend who lived in Ballyclare at the time and who knows the family well, that the FAI did enquire about Paddy, before suddenly withdrawing.

He laughed out loud at the very thought of Paddy entertaining the approach.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 2:43pm
I don’t know why Sykes felt the need because I wasn’t there and the article doesn’t say why he felt the need to. I could guess or form a non factual opinion just like you did though but I wouldnt come on here and state it as fact.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 2:46pm

I don’t know why Sykes felt the need because I wasn’t there and the article doesn’t say why he felt the need to. I could guess or form a non factual opinion just like you did though but I wouldnt come on here and state it as fact.

Not quite as bad as Terri's anecdote above then, which is clearly a figment of his imagination.

You'd swear there isn't a pattern of  players defecting to us who feel the need to explain their religious background has nothing to do with them declaring for us or something.

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 3:24pm

This is what you posted…

So you think Sykes brought his partner's religion up for no reason with no context? If that's what you think, fair enough but I beg to differ.

Especially given Baraclough's predecessor's obsession with discussing footballers religions.

And getting them wrong - Eunan O'Kane is a humanist.

Not that it should matter.

I’d say he brought it up in relation to the abuse he got from NI fans after declaring for us.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

MON accused IRL of initiating contact with Paddy McNair because he has an Irish sounding name (there's no proof of this whatsoever

I know for a fact from a friend who lived in Ballyclare at the time and who knows the family well, that the FAI did enquire about Paddy, before suddenly withdrawing.

He laughed out loud at the very thought of Paddy entertaining the approach.

He can laugh all he wants but we all know that Northern Ireland will no longer exist as an international side, maybe not within McNair's football career but probably his lifetime. 

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 5:39am
interested to see if he gets a chance in one of these 2 games. oxford in a playoff spot just now but seems like, one way or another, he'll be playing at a higher level than league one come next season

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 8:09pm
Looks like he will be on the move this summer, possibly to Bristol City in the Championship going by these comments in the local paper in Oxford.

"Sykes is out of contract this summer and was this week linked with Sky Bet Championship club Bristol City.

When asked about the midfielder’s omission, Robinson said: “I think you know why.”

The U’s boss said in the week he would pick a team with next season in mind and Billy Bodin is the only player in the starting XI not currently contracted beyond this summer."

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 8:36pm
Good for him if he's getting a move (and for us if it goes well).

Date Posted: 01 May 2022 at 6:56am
Bristol City was one of the clubs who had him over when he was playing for Glenavon in the Irish League so he has been on their radar for some time.

Date Posted: 16 May 2022 at 8:42am
Sykes is reported to be having a medical at Bristol City today.

Date Posted: 16 May 2022 at 8:05pm
Officially confirmed by Bristol City. Will probably be O'Dowda's replacement.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 16 May 2022 at 8:23pm
How decent is this guy? Haven't really paid too much attention to him or seen much of him. Does he have the look of a guy who can step up a level and come in and do well for us or is he kind of your average joe. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 16 May 2022 at 9:00pm
Good to hear. We need to try and nail down a partner for Cullen as much as possible. Unless another Roy Keane emerges which is not likely id take another Mark Kinsella type player. Someone of that quality.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 16 May 2022 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Good to hear. We need to try and nail down a partner for Cullen as much as possible. Unless another Roy Keane emerges which is not likely id take another Mark Kinsella type player. Someone of that quality.

He’s not really a centre midfielder 

Date Posted: 16 May 2022 at 9:08pm
Kenny said when he picked him that he saw him as competition for the role that Knight and McGrath have been playing. I think he can play centre mid also, but that might not be where we play him if/when he gets capped.

Date Posted: 16 May 2022 at 9:12pm
Is he not. I thought he was a central midfielder. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 16 May 2022 at 10:10pm
He actually played right wing back a good bit for Oxford this season. He can play central midfield as well though and Kenny seems to want to play him further forward. Doesn't seem to have nailed down a single position for whatever reason.

Posted By: Scissors Kick
Date Posted: 16 May 2022 at 10:23pm

id take another Mark Kinsella type player. Someone of that quality.

Write to the FAI there & tell them that.

Date Posted: 16 May 2022 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Why don't you now I've given you the idea. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 16 May 2022 at 10:40pm

Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Why don't you now I've given you the idea. 

He's some midfielder isn't he 

A Roy Keane or more of a Kinsella type  ?

Date Posted: 25 May 2022 at 12:10am
Tipped to play in Premier League.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/glenavon-boss-gary-hamilton-tips-24027286?int_source=mantis_rec&int_medium=web&int_campaign=more_like_this" rel="nofollow - https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/glenavon-boss-gary-hamilton-tips-24027286?int_source=mantis_rec&int_medium=web&int_campaign=more_like_this

-------------

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 30 May 2022 at 4:40pm
Disappointed Sykes is not in the squad.   Seems the kind of technical player that we are missing. 

Hopefully he's on Kenny's stand-by list and is ready whenever someone drops out. 

Posted By: SC92
Date Posted: 30 May 2022 at 5:08pm
He'll probably be back in if he starts off at Bristol City well. I'm looking forward to seeing him play as he'll be on TV more now.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 31 May 2022 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Disappointed Sykes is not in the squad.   Seems the kind of technical player that we are missing. 

Hopefully he's on Kenny's stand-by list and is ready whenever someone drops out. 
he's injured

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 31 May 2022 at 7:33am
Anyone with any sort of technical ability seems to be injured...Sykes, Byrne, Ronan

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 31 May 2022 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

he's injured

Yes, I questioned whether he was injured when the squad came out.  But, unlike Ronan, I didn't see it independently verified.  

If so, no worries, just a shame - I imagine he would have been in there if fit. 

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 31 May 2022 at 9:21pm

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

he's injured

Yes, I questioned whether he was injured when the squad came out.  But, unlike Ronan, I didn't see it independently verified.  

If so, no worries, just a shame - I imagine he would have been in there if fit. 

Not sure on Sykes I read he was but found no definite answers but Ronan is 100% injured. His loan was cut short and he returned to Wolves for treatment to an ankle injury.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 9:40pm
Sent off today.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 9:51pm
Tommy Lee Jones has taken note of his record

-------------

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 9:28pm
Assist for Sykes tonight vs PNE. Inter stingy O'Leary gets his first league start in goal in a long time for Bristol City. Could end up being important yet! 
Brady CM again, Maguire hooked on 56 mins, Browne gets off the bench on 70 mins. Cunningham continues to start as LCB in a 3. 

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Assist for Sykes tonight vs PNE. Inter stingy O'Leary gets his first league start in goal in a long time for Bristol City. Could end up being important yet! 
Brady CM again, Maguire hooked on 56 mins, Browne gets off the bench on 70 mins. Cunningham continues to start as LCB in a 3. 
Brady free kick leads to an equaliser for PNE on 82mins

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 10:02pm

Brady free kick leads to an equaliser for PNE on 82mins
Bristol C win it 2 1. Brady actually started as rwb and switched to LWB when Browne came on in the 77th minute.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 4:25pm
Scores.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 4:28pm
Twice.

And again.

-------------

Posted By: Greenie50
Twice.

Posted By: Bukowski
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 4:30pm
LOL

-------------
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 9:07pm
Scores

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Scores

3 in 2 now Clap

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 9:22pm
Livescore have him as playing RW these last two games where he's scores three goals.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 3:40pm
Scores again.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 5:00pm
He seems to be doing a lot better playing at right midfield/winger than when he played Right wing-back.
That's 4 goals and 1 assist since he changed position.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 3:31pm
He's liking this goal scoring carry on. Another one early in his game today. He won't be right wing back again any time soon surely. 

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 3:39pm
Is that five goals and two assists in six games since moving to RW.

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 3:43pm
some form hes in

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

some form hes in

Type of form that makes you think should a formation with wingers be considered against Latvia.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

some form hes in

Type of form that makes you think should a formation with wingers be considered against Latvia.

Yes, absolutely we should look at a 4-3-3 in such a match to have it as an option if/when the need arises further down the line.

Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 10:35pm

some form hes in

Why? If Kenny plans to play 352 in all competitive games he should also use it in friendlies and get these fringe players used to playing in his system. At least they've some familiarity with it then if they end having to come in

Posted By: 84ccfc84
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

some form hes in

Why? If Kenny plans to play 352 in all competitive games he should also use it in friendlies and get these fringe players used to playing in his system. At least they've some familiarity with it then if they end having to come in

they are pro players, if they cant adjust to a formation change then i give up. plenty of teams change formations/roles based on opponents. what is clear is that our 3 at the back is turgid against any team that sits in deep. lets get more players higher up the pitch and cause them problems, its a friendly for godness sake. if things cant be switched up for them then what hope do we have at all. kenny has to give some good minutes this window to the likes of smallbone and sykes, wasted that malta game showing us what we've already known for years.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 12:00am
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

some form hes in

they are pro players, if they cant adjust to a formation change then i give up. plenty of teams change formations/roles based on opponents. what is clear is that our 3 at the back is turgid against any team that sits in deep. lets get more players higher up the pitch and cause them problems, its a friendly for godness sake. if things cant be switched up for them then what hope do we have at all. kenny has to give some good minutes this window to the likes of smallbone and sykes, wasted that malta game showing us what we've already known for years.
Agree with you completely but it looks like Kenny is married to the 352 and its variations, opting for a 1-2 in midfield against strong sides and a 2-1 against similar/weaker sides. I'd be surprised if he goes with anything but a 3-4-1-2 against Latvia, if he wants to give a Sykes a go in a wider role he might go back to the 3-4-3 instead 

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 8:35am
Sykes is versatile and can play in any system. He’s in terrific form at the moment and should be in the team for the Latvia game.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 9:39am

Sykes is versatile and can play in any system. He’s in terrific form at the moment and should be in the team for the Latvia game.

He's no good at throw ins though because he only has one arm and one mechanical arm

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 6:52pm
Thought he played very well vs Hull today. Got in behind Greaves a good few times and linked up well with Scott and Tanner. Nearly scored in the first minute as well. Could have done with getting his head up a bit earlier on a couple of occasions but all in all he was one of the best players on the pitch, IMO. 

Went to RB for the last 20 mins or so and did well there too including some great covering behind his center halves. 

Now for me to grumble about the £5.40 pints Dead

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 2:49pm
has anyone a subscription to the indo here?
there was a piece done with sykes over the weekend wonder could someone c+p if possible

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 5:11pm
Ireland don't play with a front three so what pecking order has he shot up?

Does he play in CM where can also play or RWB. Won't happen against Latvia but should give four at the back another go to include some wingers in our formation.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 5:35pm

Ireland don't play with a front three so what pecking order has he shot up?

Does he play in CM where can also play or RWB. Won't happen against Latvia but should give four at the back another go to include some wingers in our formation.

I would like to see us go with a 4-3-3 vs Latvia (in preparation for Gibralter in June). Good teams should have at least a couple of "go to" formations. Yes we have a plethora of good cb's but Kenny's struggles for the most part have been against the "weaker" teams where we have struggled to create/score. Generally our performances vs higher ranked sides have been mostly ok and I think the 3 CB's works well vs tougher opposition.

There are quite a few lads imo who suit the wider roles in a 4-3-3, Ogbene/Sykes/Connolly/O'Dowda and the 5-2-3 which was tried didnt work at all. I'd like to see us have a go vs Latvia with an attacking 4-3-3 formation.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 5:44pm
Think we still need two up front. That Ferguson on his own isn't ready to lead the line for us and we don't really have the midfielder to play the ten role.

While we ain't Brighton I think the 442/4231 that they use with Welbeck and Ferguson recently or even Norwich when Pukki and Idah played together could be worth a shout.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 5:55pm

Think we still need two up front. That Ferguson on his own isn't ready to lead the line for us and we don't really have the midfielder to play the ten role.

While we ain't Brighton I think the 442/4231 that they use with Welbeck and Ferguson recently or even Norwich when Pukki and Idah played together could be worth a shout.

I think between Idah, Parrott, Cannon and Ferguson, we have lads who can play as the front man in a 4-3-3, but a 4-2-3-1 is fine by me also. I just think we should be looking at a formation that doesnt involve 3 CBs. We need to be able to go out vs weak opposition and really take the game to them, press high and play with a high tempo. I agree we are short in the #10 position and have been for years but either one of Smallbone/Azaz offers a chink of light in that regard. I think one of the bigger problems with playing a 4 is our lack of genuine full backs as opposed to wing backs.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 5:55pm
yeah SK needs to move to 4 at the back v poorer sides. no excuses to stick with the 5 added to the fact its latvia. 5 at the back is the 'best' way to stifle mbappe though so ive no real issue with it being used v france. time to mix things up tactically and personnel wise SK, show us something. 

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 6:02pm

yeah SK needs to move to 4 at the back v poorer sides. no excuses to stick with the 5 added to the fact its latvia. 5 at the back is the 'best' way to stifle mbappe though so ive no real issue with it being used v france. time to mix things up tactically and personnel wise SK, show us something. 

Absolutely think we should stick with the 5 at the back vs stronger opposition, it's worked reasonably well for the most part and we do have a lot of excellent young CB's coming through (has to be the GAA breeding). 

However SK has to be brave now if he is to have any chance of keeping his job. The Latvia result does not matter, nor should it. It's time to show a bit of balls and mix things up, we need to see what else we have to work with and develop another system of play. He tried mixing it up and going 5-2-3 a few times, but it was a disaster, didnt work at all. Stick with the 5-3-2 vs the better teams and have a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 in the pocket to use vs the weaker teams.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 6:19pm
Gotta admit I'd not be anticipating a switch to a back 4 v Latvia.
Nor a plethora of new faces.

That last window soured me on Kenny's decision-making and even his ambition.
We had Browne, Robinson and Cullen start both games.
Why?  What were we going to learn?
We played three CBs versus Malta.
MALTA FFS!
McLean started v Malta also...to learn what?
Hendrick came on as a sub...unbelievable.

It was a very frustrating time and it looked like a manager desperate to keep his job.  Risk-averse.
What has changed between then and now?
Nothing that tells me he'll behave any different in this window, or treat Latvia as a test-bed for a new (old) formation or new players.

I hate to pick on Hourihane but the lad fooked us bad v Armenia.
No idea why he was introduced, and his performance could have cost Kenny his job.
If he's named then it shows us Kenny has learned nothing.

I like McGrath but not sure he has done anything like enough to warrant a call-up.

I wish we didn't have to dip into L1 for players but if we are, it's to pick one or two who have potential futures at higher levels - Knight and Azaz are the two there.
Cashin also, but we're stacked at CB.

Overall I have the fear growing as we approach these matches.
I can't see past a turgid win over Latvia and then a battling but ultimately conclusive loss to France.

Look, maybe young Evan wil light up Landsdown...of what a night that would be so we live in hope Shocked
What else is there.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

MALTA FFS!

It was a very frustrating time and it looked like a manager desperate to keep his job.  Risk-averse.
Nothing that tells me he'll behave any different in this window, or treat Latvia as a test-bed for a new (old) formation or new players.

No idea why he was introduced, and his performance could have cost Kenny his job.

I like McGrath but not sure he has done anything like enough to warrant a call-up.

I wish we didn't have to dip into L1 for players but if we are, it's to pick one or two who have potential futures at higher levels - Knight and Azaz are the two there.

I can't see past a turgid win over Latvia and then a battling but ultimately conclusive loss to France.

Look, maybe young Evan wil light up Landsdown...of what a night that would be so we live in hope Shocked
What else is there.

I feel and share your pain, the Malta debacle almost did for me and my support for SK. Last chance saloon as far as I'm concerned. I dont need to see loads of new faces introduced, but I do want to see some of the fringe lads getting decent minutes vs Latvia and I'd like to see Coventry and Azaz in the squad, even if it means a 28 man squad, jsut get them in and get them involved.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 6:33pm
agree with you Fozz. Malta turned me off SK completely. the last ounce of faith i had in him went out the window. 

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 6:51pm

Better to look at it as a three at the back against weaker teams. We can't really switch to a four because we don't have the full backs to play that system, they're all wing backs that get found out in a back four. 

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 7:35pm
Jaysus lads, how many times has it to be said? Copying and pasting from sites behind pay walls isn't on. The pay wall is there to pay the staff and support an industry in its knees. If you want to read it, buy the paper or a sub. 

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 8:12pm
Dived there to try and win a penalty 

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 8:14pm
Definitely not a dive. He had cut across Lewis and there was clear contact on his back. Desperately unlucky as he'd done great to get in the position.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

MALTA FFS!

What else is there.

Absolutely agree & if we see a Browne  /  Hendrick  /  Hourihane  led squad  & team ahead of a Sykes  /  Smallbone  /  Molumby  /  Knight   /  Coventry  /  Hodge rollover in midfield, he will use any scrap of goodwill he has left. 

All those players are around the same level, they will deliver broadly the same set of results in the group. One are getting on and have failed repeatedly, one have improvement and maybe higher career ceilings & their careers ahead of them

We will fail in this group either way, we won't qualify, but let's gain valuable experience doing so & constantly learn.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Definitely not a dive. He had cut across Lewis and there was clear contact on his back. Desperately unlucky as he'd done great to get in the position.

Ah come on, played for it and initiated the contact 100%

There was contact but was still a dive 

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Ah come on, played for it and initiated the contact 100%

There was contact but was still a dive 

The commentators didn't agree, "could very easily have been give" was their phrasing. Sykes was ahead of Lewis and Lewis' leg made contact with Sykes (intentional or not), as well as putting his hand into Sykes back. You can argue about whether it was enough for a peno, but a dive it definitely was  not.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 9:02pm
Keane seemed angry with him for being more concerned with waiting for a potential foul than getting a shot away 
It’s a dive, no way that slight contact should make you fall over

Spades a spade 

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 9:15pm
Excellent defending to deny what likely would have been City's second just there.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 10:38pm
Got a fair bit of pace does the lad, deceptively fast because his strides are on the shorter side. 

Thought he got caught ball watching badly for the 3rd, lost Ake completely.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net