You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nations League 2022 Group B1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 54>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 1:16pm
I know there's very little that could be done, but midfield would make you weep a tear or two. 
Sponsored Links

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 1:18pm
Happy enough with that, no real surprises apart from Hamilton I suppose. But that midfield looks as weak as a hens piss on paper. 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 1:21pm
Happy with that overall, but that midfield needs reinforcement. Plenty time to call up more, depending on how the U21s get on.

Very surprised to see Hogan & Ebosele.

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Dissapointed Danny Mcnamara isn't in the squad. Thought he had a fantastic season and would have him ahead of Christie

I would have liked to see McNamara in too, but he's not ahead of Christie. We need a player ready to start probably 2 or maybe 3 games, we know what to expect from Christie, McNamara is an unknown entity.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 1:22pm
midfield is very poor only solution bring Jack back to life and just by pass the whole midfield.

Edited by Fruice - 25 May 2022 at 1:23pm
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Happy with that squad
Will be good to get Ebosele and Obafemi involved 

Likewise.

Obafemi, Ogbene, CJ Hamilton and Ebosele give us genuine pace for the first time in....well, ever basically.

I was thinking the same thing
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 1:30pm
Such a shame we don't have a midfielder who can pass. The pace we have in the attack could do some damage of it were given the service.

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 1:35pm
Happy enough with that. Midfield still looks grim though. Hope we get a few coming through there soon.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Such a shame we don't have a midfielder who can pass. The pace we have in the attack could do some damage of it were given the service.

Josh Cullen is more than able
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

In his own half, he is. Very capable 
Beyond halfway, you rarely even see him & I have no recollection of him putting anyone away with a pass ever. Do you   ?
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Hogan's a bit of a daft one. I'd give Long the nod ahead of him. From everything Hasenhuttl says about him, he'd be a good person to have in a long camp from a leadership and personality perspective. And in a cameo, he'd probably offer more than Hogan, even at 35. 

Seriously, what is your personal gripe with lads like Hogan? It was Collins before him.

Hes our second highest scorer in the Championship this season with 10 goals behind Obafemi's 12. Hes there on merit.

Long is finished. Hes 35 now and barely kicks a ball. Whens the last time he scored a goal for us, 2016? LOL

Collins tries hard and has a good attitude but he's not up to international football. Hogan is abysmal and doesn't look like he wants to be there. If we consider that they're all bit-part players and are only going to be used in case of emergency, then I'd have Long for his experience and presence around the group. He's played more PL football this season than Idah and Connolly so it's a bit much writing him off. Additionally, Idah hasn't scored for us yet and looks like he could equal any goal drought Long's ever had, yet is our main striker when fit.
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

In his own half, he is. Very capable 
Beyond halfway, you rarely even see him & I have no recollection of him putting anyone away with a pass ever. Do you   ?

Check out the highlights away to Portugal. Plays a brilliant ball to Connolly who wins a corner which we score from (if I remember correctly)
Lansdown Roar View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lansdown Roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 1:46pm
That was a once off but Cullen is not the player who’s going to be putting our forwards in on goal with passes in behind the defence.
They've only gone and done it
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 1:54pm
Long story short.. not one of those midfielders possesses the creativity, guile and consistency to see "the pass" never mind actually make it.

I'm not that talking about the through ball from the edge of the box. I'm talking about the pass that's made 1 or 2 passes before the assist that tends to be the real game charger in an attacking move. 

Shame that Ronan's last couple of months went to Mickey. Really need that type of option on the bench

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 1:57pm
Midfield remains the obvious concern. We are seeing plenty of evolution across the team, and particularly in the last year, but there remains a core around midfield that I don’t believe would be selected if we had even a few more options. It also still looks like the newer options are really the same as they were a couple of years back.
BrenC View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 1:58pm

Long story short.. not one of those midfielders possesses the creativity, guile and consistency to see "the pass" never mind actually make it.

I'm not that talking about the through ball from the edge of the box. I'm talking about the pass that's made 1 or 2 passes before the assist that tends to be the real game charger in an attacking move. 

Shame that Ronan's last couple of months went to Mickey. Really need that type of option on the bench

Knight does. It’s a question of where his best position for us is, but he can definitely be that player. 
Team Emmet
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 2:03pm
I came to complain about the midfield selections but will just read others complaints. I don;t really understand not having a look at Coventry. Kenny is a bit blind on some players like Hourihane etc. He is 31 now and has never bee good enough. Hogan? whatever like but surely these are spots that would be better used by a young player with a high ceiling. It is great that we have a defence and 3 super solid goalkeepers,

Not really sure Ebosele deserve a straight jump to seniors. I wonder do players have a hard time with Crawford as well. lots of players don;t seem to want to show up for him. Maybe I am biased and just don't like Crawfordball LOL

Edited by Nialler - 25 May 2022 at 2:05pm
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Lansdown Roar Lansdown Roar wrote:

That was a once off but Cullen is not the player who’s going to be putting our forwards in on goal with passes in behind the defence.

Exactly my point

They can point to exceptions that only prove the rule all they like
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

I came to complain about the midfield selections but will just read others complaints. I don;t really understand not having a look at Coventry. Kenny is a bit blind on some players like Hourihane etc. He is 31 now and has never bee good enough. Hogan? whatever like but surely these are spots that would be better used by a young player with a high ceiling. It is great that we have a defence and 3 super solid goalkeepers,

Not really sure Ebosele deserve a straight jump to seniors. I wonder do players have a hard time with Crawford as well. lots of players don;t seem to want to show up for him. Maybe I am biased and just don't like Crawfordball LOL

I actually don't think he's blind on Hourihane, he hasn't given him a competitive start since Nov 2020 (and that was in the middle of an injury crisis, McCarthy & Arter missing from MF), so clearly Kenny doesn't have a huge level of trust in him. Maybe he just thinks the replacements aren't quite ready (Coventry/Kilkenny).

Hogan I think wouldn't be there if Idah was fit.

Edited by Greenie50 - 25 May 2022 at 2:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 54>
  Share Topic