Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57975
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 1:11pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Nations League 2022 Group B1
Posted By: kevincronin2000
Subject: Nations League 2022 Group B1
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 1:16pm
UEFA has indicated that the 2022/23 UEFA Nations League Draw will take place in Montreux, Switzerland on Thursday 16th December

Plenty of Ryanair vouchers for Christmas please. 

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Replies:
Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:05pm
This is a very important competition for us as it is the only route to the Euro 2024 playoffs. Given that we haven't qualified for a finals without going through a set of playoffs since 1993 (before the modern day version of playoffs were returned to the qualification structure) this is likely to be a more realistic route to qualification than the actual qualifying groups themselves.

Unlike with the Nations League groups that were linked to the Euro 2020 playoffs, there now being 16 teams in League A and 16 teams in League B means that we are no longer guaranteed a route to the playoffs - we will need to earn it by winning games and a top 2 finish in our Nations League group is likely to be what is needed to make the playoffs.

Four of the six group games will be played at the end of the current football season, so if we continue our current poor form in those games we may well have already blown our best chance of getting to Euro 2024 before the current season is out.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:18pm
These are the Pots for League B

Pot 1 : Ukraine, Sweden, Bosnia, Iceland
Pot 2 : Finland, Norway, Scotland, Russia
Pot 3 : Israel, Romania, Serbia, Rep of Ireland
Pot 4 : Slovenia, Montenegro, Albania, Armenia

MAtches to played in June and September

Wouldn't mind a nice trip to Reykjavik and Ljubljana tbh.

Scots guaranteed to draw Israel so we don't need to worry about them, wouldn't mind another crack a Finland think they were fairly lucky against in last NL.

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:21pm
Some good potential trips there to places we've either not been to or not been to for a while. 

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:25pm
Is it true we've never played Ukraine in a competitive match?

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Yes. They've only existed since the 90s and we haven't drawn them since then. There can't be many European teams that we haven't played competitively against at this stage, Slovenia also maybe. We could draw both in this campaign.

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Yes. They've only existed since the 90s and we haven't drawn them since then. There can't be many European teams that we haven't played competitively against at this stage, Slovenia also maybe. We could draw both in this campaign.

That would be great...make a change from playing Georgia, Wales and poxy Denmark every year.

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Scots guaranteed to draw Israel so we don't need to worry about them, wouldn't mind another crack a Finland think they were fairly lucky against in last NL.

Iceland, Finland and Montenegro would do nicely for me. Helsinki is a great spot and I believe Montenegro is pretty nice also. I'd like to avoid Ukraine, Russia and Armenia for both footballing (first two) and travel reasons.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:56pm

Or Slovenia

-------------

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 4:12pm

Ukraine, Slovenia and Kosovo are the only 3 we haven't played in a senior international game at all.

I think as someone said before We have played in Kiev against the USSR but that's as close as we've come. 

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Iceland, Finland and Montenegro would do nicely for me. Helsinki is a great spot and I believe Montenegro is pretty nice also. I'd like to avoid Ukraine, Russia and Armenia for both footballing (first two) and travel reasons.

Was in ukraine with the drogs, a bit dodgy but was a great spot!

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

UEFA has indicated that the 2022/23 UEFA Nations League Draw will take place in Montreux, Switzerland on Thursday 16th December

Thumbs Up will put it in the diary  - ahh bollix was looking to go YBIG London do that night

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Thumbs Up will put it in the diary  - ahh bollix was looking to go YBIG London do that night
Not sure why that would stop you unless you’re going to the draw.

Posted By: E2016
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 4:46pm
Excited for this with the possibility of actually going to these cities to see Ireland for the first time in 2 years.

Iceland the best draw in Pot 1 without their alleged criminal. Would like to go to Sweden too as it has been a long time but they are definitely a level above us so please avoid.

Pot 2 and Finland are definitely the best draw, despite the hard work we made of them last time, they are a poor side. For travel would be happy with anything bar Russia to be honest. I worry about us v anybody but Finland (and even v Finland given our recent record).

Pot 4 and Slovenia ideal draw for travel. Don't think there is much between the 4 teams ability wise.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 5:06pm
I think looking at the probabilities there's every chance if we finish 3rd in our group we get a play off of sorts! 20 places up for grabs in normal qualfiying and I would be amazed if 17/18 of those 20 weren't in League A/B. Take Germany out 3rd place puts us in 27th place at worst. In the event all the Group A teams qualify (likely most of them do) the League B teams slot into those play offs! 

That's not to say we shouldnt be hunting for a top 2 finish in it should be exactly what we are looking for. There's no team in League B to be remotely frightened off. 

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Doh - had it in my head the fixtures were out then 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 5:21pm

Doh - had it in my head the fixtures were out then 
ah yes, sitting with numerous laptops with a different airline on each screen furiously searching the cheapest routes in the flight hunt panicClap

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 5:32pm

Ukraine, Slovenia and Kosovo are the only 3 we haven't played in a senior international game at all.

I think as someone said before We have played in Kiev against the USSR but that's as close as we've come. 

The mad one for me is that we've never played Greece in a competitive fixture. Those lads aren't exactly a newly established state.

Posted By: B6 6HE
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

The mad one for me is that we've never played Greece in a competitive fixture. Those lads aren't exactly a newly established state.

We're normally in the same seeding as them likewise Ukraine

On form, we wouldn't finish top2 in any setting

Goes to show that the nl is actually very important........results do matter

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

I get it with Ukraine as they've only existed as an independent state for 30 years. As for Greece, there are plenty of other countries of a similar standard that we have played at least once in a competitive fixture. I just find it odd that in all the years (well beyond Ukraine's 30) we've never played Greece in a competitive match.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 10:00pm

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

I get it with Ukraine as they've only existed as an independent state for 30 years. As for Greece, there are plenty of other countries of a similar standard that we have played at least once in a competitive fixture. I just find it odd that in all the years (well beyond Ukraine's 30) we've never played Greece in a competitive match.

Yeah the Greece one is very odd considering we'd never even played them in a friendly before 2000 and since have still only played them twice more in friendlies.

Posted By: Roberto_Carlow
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 10:27pm
Final pots

Ireland are Pot 3 in League B and will draw one from each of these. Ukraine Sweden Bosnia and Herzegovina Iceland Finland Norway Scotland Russia Slovenia Montenegro Albania Armenia

Posted By: Pinginí
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 11:06pm
Some new opponents there at least. Happy to not see Denmark or Wales there, seen enough of them now.

The schedule is a bit mad, likely because of the World Cup in December. We'll be playing four matches between 2-14 June 2022 and then the remaining two games in the September window. Something to look forward to at the end of the season!

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Final pots

Ireland are Pot 3 in League B and will draw one from each of these. Ukraine Sweden Bosnia and Herzegovina Iceland Finland Norway Scotland Russia Slovenia Montenegro Albania Armenia
Iceland are in serious decline. Be good to get them.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: VanBosch
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 11:30pm

Final pots

These were final months ago though based on finishing positions in the NL - apart from the winners which only impacts group A?

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 12:14am
[QUOTE=Roberto_Carlow]Final pots

[/QUOTE

A nice situation in that we can get another 6 games to bed down what we are doing further blood new young players standing out. we will be playing decent teams even if we don't top the Group as such it will bring us on with a view to March 2023 which has to be the big target. 
Those teams are decent but are teams we can be competitive against and will be 2nd 3rd and 4th seeds in any potential qualifying Goup so if we can be competitive against them it will bode well for that. 

Even if we finish 3rd it should also give us a play off at least if we don't qualify through the groups. 

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 8:19am
These were final months ago though based on finishing positions in the NL - apart from the winners which only impacts group A?
[/QUOTE]

Had read it wrong on twitter that Scotland and Israel had switched places.

Posted By: greenshoots
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 10:32am
so to qualify for the next Euros, where do we have to finish in our Nations League group?

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 11:17am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

so to qualify for the next Euros, where do we have to finish in our Nations League group?

Took this from Dale Johnson on twitter

Format for Euro 2024 qualifying is not yet confirmed, including any details of how teams might earn playoff spots via the Nations League. It's likely UEFA will want playoff paths via this route, though the same method as 2020 cannot be used as Germany take an auto slot as hosts

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 11:31am
Iceland
Finland
Slovenia 

Would be a couple of nice trips. Would also scratch Slovenia off the list of European team's we've never played

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 11:37am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

[/QUOTE

A nice situation in that we can get another 6 games to bed down what we are doing further blood new young players standing out. we will be playing decent teams even if we don't top the Group as such it will bring us on with a view to March 2023 which has to be the big target. 
Those teams are decent but are teams we can be competitive against and will be 2nd 3rd and 4th seeds in any potential qualifying Goup so if we can be competitive against them it will bode well for that. 

Even if we finish 3rd it should also give us a play off at least if we don't qualify through the groups. 

From a purely footballing perspective - I'd like

A - Bosnia or Iceland
B - Finland or Norway
D- Any except Albania

Would like to avoid Sweden/Ukraine and Russia/Scotland - None of them are worldbeaters but they are probably a step ahead of where we are at currently. Ideal group for me would be Iceland, FInland, Montenegro

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 12:19pm

[/QUOTE

A - Bosnia or Iceland
B - Finland or Norway
D- Any except Albania

Would like to avoid Sweden/Ukraine and Russia/Scotland - None of them are worldbeaters but they are probably a step ahead of where we are at currently. Ideal group for me would be Iceland, FInland, Montenegro

Of course but then again playing a Sweden/Ukraine or our Celtic neighbours will be positive in its own way. Opposition a step ahead of us so to speak allows us to test ourselves. If we can be competitive against that sort of opposition 2nd/3rd seeds it will bode well for us with a view to bring competitive in the qualifying group. 

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 12:31pm

[/QUOTE

A - Bosnia or Iceland
B - Finland or Norway
D- Any except Albania

Of course but then again playing a Sweden/Ukraine or our Celtic neighbours will be positive in its own way. Opposition a step ahead of us so to speak allows us to test ourselves. If we can be competitive against that sort of opposition 2nd/3rd seeds it will bode well for us with a view to bring competitive in the qualifying group. 

Pluses and minuses to both I guess, I just feel with a young team, it would be nice to get a few results and not finish bottom of the group. A group with for example Sweden, Scotland and Albania would be difficult and as we have seen. a lot of Kenny's critics don't seems to care about performances or the quality of opposition.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: greenshoots
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 1:00pm
The draw for this takes place Dec 16th

Posted By: B6 6HE
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Final pots

Worst
Sweden
Norway
Albania

Best
Iceland
Finland
Armenia

There's no scary there

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 4:35pm
Not too many Qatar qualifiers in that list - Sweden, Norway, Russia and Scotland still have a chance but cant see more than 2 qualifying.
Whoever we get they should be good competitive fixtures.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 11:03pm

Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Took this from Dale Johnson on twitter

Format for Euro 2024 qualifying is not yet confirmed, including any details of how teams might earn playoff spots via the Nations League. It's likely UEFA will want playoff paths via this route, though the same method as 2020 cannot be used as Germany take an auto slot as hosts

League D is a much smaller division than last time, just total minnows now, so that place will be removed and given to Germany as hosts. So there will still be three qualification places available through the playoffs, we will need top 2 in our Nations League group to guarantee a playoff place, we might sneak in with a third place finish, fourth unlikely to be any use to us.

Posted By: AonSceal19
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 10:09am

There is 16 teams in League A and 16 teams in League B. 20 teams will qualify directly for Euro 2024 via the traditional qualifying campaign. There is a high probability that these teams will be in League A and B. That leaves 12 unqualified teams in League A and B. League A and B both have 4 playoff berths. Therefore Ireland would likely get a playoff if they finished 3rd in their Nations League B group as only 4 teams from League A and B are guaranteed to miss out on a playoff spot. A 2nd place finish would all but guarantee a playoff spot.

-------------
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 1:10pm
2 wins from the 6 games should be enough. Some very average teams in league B and some of the better ones will be licking their wounds when June games come around after failing to qualify the Qatar. With a change of manage they’ll be regrouping so we should be ahead of the curve in that perspective. Serbia are the stand out team for me and we can’t draw them. We should be looking to win the group. It will be interesting to see how many of league B get to the World Cup.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 9:29am
It's a killer having no available fixtures pencilled in to start to look forward to.
Going to be a long month until this draw comes around

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

It's a killer having no available fixtures pencilled in to start to look forward to.
Going to be a long month until this draw comes around

I hate this time of year! No Internationals for 4+ months, LOI wrapped up next week, Cup final week after.

Back to watching most of lads sit on the bench for their clubs in England.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:37pm
Iceland the team to get from Pot 1. Seem to be on the downturn.  Finland from Pot 2 (Norway, Scotland and Russia are the others from this pot ). Slovenia from Pot 4 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:56pm
Yes Iceland P1 and Finland P2 are the best choices. Albania or Slovenia from P4. 

Travel wise, I can only go to the September away game and wife has given me green light. So crossing fingers we get a draw and the September away falls kindly (e.g. would be a killer if we get Scotland and that is the away match where there is no hope in getting ticket).

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 5:37pm
From a football perspective, Iceland, Finland and probably Albania would be the ideal draw here. Nightmare would probably be Ukraine, Norway and Armenia. Ukraine and Russia can't draw one another so can't get the two of them in the one group thankfully.

From a travel perspective there is no real standout team you'd want. They all either seem a) expensive, b) awkward to get to or c) small stadiums. Then you've got Scotland which would be too accessible and you'd end up bringing thousands of fans over with no chance of a ticket. I'd probably go for Sweden, Finland and Slovenia but I'm only hoping to get to one of the games in June. Would love to see Sarajevo but you could end up playing out in Zenica.

Posted By: flaghunter
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:23pm
Wouldn't Armenia be the weakest from Pot 4? Got thrashed at home by Macedonia a few days ago.

Travel wise for me; Iceland from Pot 1, anyone but Scotland from Pot 2 and no Pot 3 standouts.

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:39pm
It's an awful pity they don't have equivalent semi finals and finals for the lower leagues to be honest. 

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: Yoco Santos
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 11:38am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

It's an awful pity they don't have equivalent semi finals and finals for the lower leagues to be honest. 

Absolutely. Hopefully will be introduced in the future. 

Posted By: Deco79
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:11pm
Looking at Austria and the Czech Republic getting World Cup Playoff spots shows how important The Nations League is going forward 

Posted By: giveittochristie
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

Looking at Austria and the Czech Republic getting World Cup Playoff spots shows how important The Nations League is going forward 

Definitely, although they will be up against it as unseeded teams. For the Euros it gives a great backup to almost everyone in Leagues A and B

Posted By: KING-CON
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 11:23am
Will UEFA be keeping any teams apart so they cant play each other? eg Russia/Ukraine, Serbia/Albania?  

PotTeamPrvRank
1  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Ukraine Fall17
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Sweden Fall18
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnia_and_Herzegovina_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Bosnia and Herzegovina Fall19
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Iceland Fall20
2  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Finland 21
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Norway 22
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Scotland 23
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Russia 24
3  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Israel 25
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romania_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Romania 26
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Serbia 27
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Republic of Ireland 28
4  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovenia_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Slovenia Rise29
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegro_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Montenegro Rise30
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albania_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Albania Rise31
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenia_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Armenia Rise32

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 11:34am
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

Will UEFA be keeping any teams apart so they cant play each other? eg Russia/Ukraine, Serbia/Albania?  

PotTeamPrvRank
1  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Ukraine Fall17
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Sweden Fall18
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnia_and_Herzegovina_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Bosnia and Herzegovina Fall19
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Iceland Fall20
2  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Finland
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Norway
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Scotland
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Russia
3  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Israel
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romania_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Romania
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Serbia
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Republic of Ireland
4  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovenia_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Slovenia Rise29
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegro_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Montenegro Rise30
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albania_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Albania Rise31
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenia_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Armenia Rise32

When is the draw?

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 11:37am
Next Thursday.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 11:53am
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

PotTeamPrvRank
2  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Finland 21
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Norway 22
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Scotland 23
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Russia 24
3  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Israel 25
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romania_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Romania 26
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Serbia 27
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Republic of Ireland 28

Russia and Ukraine can't be drawn together, open draw for us other than that 

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 12:31pm
Worst Case - Sweden/Scotland/Albania

Best Case - Iceland/Finland/Armenia

We shall see whether or not Kenny is a lucky manger, he hasn't had a lot of it so far imo. Two wildly contrasting groups possible.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 1:02pm
Not sure Scotland are the worst case - they were poor at the Euros. A few good players but they're all central midfielders and left backs. GK, centre of defence, right back and forwards are nothing to write home about. Russia are the team I'd be most wanting to avoid from that pot - from the whole division actually.

Regardless of who we draw from pots 1 and 2 the four bottom teams are much of a muchness, so there should be no "group of death" for us there - we should be taking four points minimum from any of those pot 4 teams as a starting point, and then see what we can get from the rest. Aim should be a top 2 finish in the group. 

Also notable that, looking ahead to the next World Cup campaign, there may well be a benefit to not winning this group in terms of a playoff path for 2026 (obviously a benefit to not coming last also).

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 2:19pm

We shall see whether or not Kenny is a lucky manger, he hasn't had a lot of it so far imo. Two wildly contrasting groups possible.
That's not wildly contracting IMO.

By the very nature of the NL, the teams in each pot are very close, 1-2 places in rankings. In the bigger draws, one pot could have a swing of 8-10 spots.

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

That's not wildly contracting IMO.

By the very nature of the NL, the teams in each pot are very close, 1-2 places in rankings. In the bigger draws, one pot could have a swing of 8-10 spots.

Or it's based on how each team has just performed over 10-12 games this year.

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 2:48pm
No doubt we will have to go through all of this again with certain individuals just maintaining Ireland should be beating such and such just cos they should, so they should. A group including Sweden, Scotland, Albania will be difficult to get a Top 2 spot in (not impossible, but difficult). A group containing Iceland, Finland, Armenia would be much easier imo based on thos ecountries recent results.

Looking at the Pot 4 teams for example and I'm not saying that we shouldn't be beating them here. I'm just pointing out that none of these games will be easy, particularly away from home. In the most recent WCQ campaign, so relatively current form, they achieved notable results as follows

ALBANIA - Beat Hungary Home and Away
ARMENIA - Beat Romania and Iceland
MONTENEGRO - Drew with both Netherlands and Turkey
SLOVENIS - Beat Croatia, Drew with Slovakia Home and Away.

As for Scotland - compare their squad to ours - We have 2 regular PL players, one of whom is 33. They have Robertson, Mc Tominay, Tierney, Che Adams, Liam Cooper, Gilmour. Mc Lean, Stuart Armstrong, John McGinn, Ryan Fraser, Grant Hanley leaving aside players like Mc Gregor/Christie/Hendry etc. We are quite a way behind them at present. They are not drawing on players from League One.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: brendy_éire
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Armenia, Iceland and Israel can't be in the same group, so there's a slightly higher chance of us drawing Armenia/Iceland.  No bad thing really.

-------------
City Till I Die

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by brendy_éire brendy_éire wrote:

Armenia, Iceland and Israel can't be in the same group, so there's a slightly higher chance of us drawing Armenia/Iceland.  No bad thing really.
Is that because of the distance thing. If so is that confirmed somewhere as it seems a bit mad of a rule 

-------------

Posted By: Darraghn92
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 3:01pm

Is that because of the distance thing. If so is that confirmed somewhere as it seems a bit mad of a rule 

Yeah it's part of the excessive travel restrictions. There's no winter restrictions though as the games are in June and September

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 3:50pm
Will the order of fixtures be done a few hours after the draw or the next day? 

Hopefully two consecutive aways in June. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Read before that the fixtures would be finalised by the next day

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 4:20pm

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Read before that the fixtures would be finalised by the next day

Thumbs Up

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 7:17pm
Ohhhhhh could do with back to back aways i must say 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: ripbomb
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 7:25pm
According to Philip Quinn today in the Daily mail the draw is been held "behind closed doors"

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

According to Philip Quinn today in the Daily mail the draw is been held "behind closed doors"
being held.... or has been held. 

Posted By: ripbomb
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 8:32pm

being held

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 9:07pm
Can't risk the likes of Germany getting relegated again, there's only so many times they can change the format to get them out of it.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 10:17pm

being held
 Thumbs Up

Posted By: brendy_éire
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 12:37pm

Behind closed doors for the media and the like, but still broadcast surely?

-------------
City Till I Die

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 12:59pm

Yes just like the draws today

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 1:27pm
philip quinn was just reiterating what was announced a couple of weeks ago.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: baresi41
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 1:05am
According to Philip Quinn today in the Daily mail the draw is been held "behind closed doors" - the Hot and Cold balls formula will be in operations again. For those of you too young to remember, I believe Herr Blatter was in charge the day that this fiasco happened. Drumcondra 69 or Galway Tommie will enlighten us more.

It basically stinks of match "fixing" but how teams are drawn out.

-------------
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 6:13am
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

According to Philip Quinn today in the Daily mail the draw is been held "behind closed doors" - the Hot and Cold balls formula will be in operations again. For those of you too young to remember, I believe Herr Blatter was in charge the day that this fiasco happened. Drumcondra 69 or Galway Tommie will enlighten us more.

im really not sure how controversial a nations league draw can be that behind closed doors hot cold balls tactic would be applied. No tv cameras etc. means it’s cheaper to run.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Yes just like the draws today

Yep, link below 

https://www.uefa.tv/video/live/209739/?bucketName=Upcoming%20Live%20events&section=home " rel="nofollow - https://www.uefa.tv/video/live/209739/?bucketName=Upcoming%20Live%20events&section=home  ;

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 8:24am
You can watch the draw tomorrow at 5 live on Uefa.tv.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 8:58am

Build a bridge. Same tin hat stuff before the last draw when people were posting here that Portugal and Italy were guaranteed to be kept apart because the TV stations were worried about ratings.

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 9:24am

I have no doubt tomorrow's draw will be conducted fairly.  There are no delegates at the draw because of COVID protocols.  

The hot and cold balls trick was used in the past most notably to keep the Old Firm apart in Scottish Cup semi finals. 

These days it is much harder to do but less incentive either.  You need legendary wealthy footballers to be complicit.  

Our draw doesn't really matter to the TV companies etc.  League A will throw up some fascinating clashes no matter what happens.  

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 9:37am
Of all the things to rig, Nations League B wouldn’t exactly be top of the list.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: max
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 9:43am
Will the fixtures be announced tomorrow?

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 9:44am
Originally posted by max max wrote:

Friday

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 2:02pm

Friday

Where'd you see that? 

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 2:08pm

Friday
Last nations league draw was done around 5pm too and fixtures were announced about 10 that night. For the Euro 2020 qualifiers they were announced late that evening after the draw on the Sunday morning and for World Cup Qualifiers draw was in the evening time and fixtures next day. Since the groups are only small it might be possible that they would be announced late tomorrow night but the fact the delegates can’t meet it could be slower.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Friday
Last nations league draw was done around 5pm too and fixtures were announced about 10 that night. For the Euro 2020 qualifiers they were announced late that evening after the draw on the Sunday morning and for World Cup Qualifiers draw was in the evening time and fixtures next day. Since the groups are only small it might be possible that they would be announced late tomorrow night but the fact the delegates can’t meet it could be slower.

I think they use computers now rather than the 4 FA’s agreeing?

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 2:14pm

Friday

Yeah the draws are all done on computers now but I think the delegates still meet too incase there is any dates the stadium are unavailable or things like that.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 2:15pm

Friday

It's a mix I think, they'd still need to input variables into the software, which could take a while too. But FA's don't get to lobby or horse trade anymore, you're correct there. 

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 2:16pm
The games will be held in June and September lads, relax! 

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: gmfc90
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

What is the pickpocket situation like

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Treacherous, aren't the Icelanders descended from vikings!?!?!? 

-------------

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 3:27pm

Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Treacherous, aren't the Icelanders descended from vikings!?!?!? 

Yep, Vikings and, errmmm... Us!

Keep hold of your valuables gents. 

Posted By: Robsham1
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 3:52pm

Has anyone been on to the Ticket Office?

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 4:43pm

I've booked hotels with free cancellations in all 12 potential capital cities for all matchdays 

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 5:05pm

I've booked hotels with free cancellations in all 12 potential capital cities for all matchdays 

Are you serious? 

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 5:12pm
LOL

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 5:21pm

Are you serious? 

I've booked in 7 different Russian cities just to be safe 

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 6:10pm

Are you serious? 

I've booked in 7 different Russian cities just to be safe 

The KGB will have tabs on you.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 6:14pm

Are you serious? 

Why not? It only takes a few minutes and doesn't cost anything. Can save yourself upwards of 70% of the cost or get somewhere nicer to stay.

If flights are cheap I do it for them too.

Definitely worth doing it for expensive cities like Oslo, Stockholm and Helsinki anyway.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 8:09pm
surely a windup!! 12 possible opponents over 6 possible match days is 72 bookings, assuming the city is fixed!

Posted By: shakeyshamrock
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 8:27pm

surely a windup!! 12 possible opponents over 6 possible match days is 72 bookings, assuming the city is fixed!

You fat cats must have money to burn - bet you don’t finish your plankton either 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net