Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Portugal vs Éire Sep 1st Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 38>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

The quality of the squad shows why Kenny shouldn't be getting the sh*te he's getting. It's without doubt the weakest we've ever been player wise. Stan had better quality players as did every other manager in my time watching Ireland.

Kenny is not the problem. 

Is the correct answer. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

DublinScouse1916 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DublinScouse1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:06pm
Scully surely over Shane long! Long hasn't scored for us since 2016. He a striker who doesn't score. That midfield is comical too. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Five lads playing in League 1, several lads who are attached to PL teams, in name only. One lad who is on the transfer list in the lower half of the championship, and out of the reckoning as far as selection is concerned. Its bleak.

Defensively, we have decent options and a strong defence can be moulded. The fact that lads like Ciaran Clark can be left out shows that we are not confined by lack of options in the area I also admire Kenny for selecting the two goalkeepers who are playing on a weekly, and the third who is sitting on the bench weekly in the PL. Randolph could have been an easy selection.

The midfield is decimated by injury. Browne, Knight, and possible McCarthy would all be in there if fitness was on their side, and in fact, you might even start all three. Robbie Brady is also absent, but if he were attached and fit, he would be in there. Given the lack of options, there was genuine reason to call up Kilkenny. You might also have given Coventry a call too.

Up front, there are options, just not ones I expect to score goals. Long continues to warm the bench at Southampton, Collins has been replaced by Moore in Cardiff's starting lineup. Parrott has been scoring this term, and hopefully he can bring that form with him.

But, I'm pessimistic about our chances. I think our midfield will be bullied, and I think our forward options will give no headaches. Kenny needs to set up from the back, and establish a robust, and difficult to breach back-line, and expect Cullen to drop deeper. Given what we have got, if we play open football, we'll get stuffed.

I agree with this. Our players, no matter how experienced, shouldn't be rewarded for putting themselves in positions where they have no chance of playing football. Randolph's case is different to just being dropped or being out of form. 

Hopefully it'll serve as an incentive/kick up the hole to our other players who aren't actively seeking out first team opportunities.

Ive a sneaky feeling DR has asked to be dropped down the order and called on if only absolutely necessary. We had those retirement rumours not so long ago. 

Not sure this is entirely SKs call. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:08pm

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

It's amazing how a squad selection can suck the life out of an International window so quickly.

Kenny seems to have shat his pants. Has to be worried about his job and is reverting to "safe" options to get through this window.

Think it will have opposite effect. We could be in for a sh!tshow here. 

To be fair, losing Robinson and Knight is a blow. He's left with selecting players that aren't playing.

Kenny picks the team but it looks to be a burden with the options available.

I genuinely would love to here detailed explanations on player inclusions, especially Hendrick and Hourihane.

They have been detrimental to our team. What's the answer? I don't know. But it's evident that they aren't.

While I agree that the midfield is the weakest aspect of the team, injuries have left us very short in this area.

Hourihane is supposedly our deep lying "playmaker". Yet he goes out of his way not to be in possession. He's afraid of making mistakes. Rarely passes forward. Passes back and sideways in an endless and futile recycling of the ball. Also, his passing in general has.been shocking.

I'm not saying other players should be starting, but why not include Kilkenny in the squad or Scully up front? Give yourself the option at least.

At this stage Kenny should know the players that just aren't working, but his persistence in picking.them defies logic.

Edited by Banjaxed - 26 Aug 2021 at 2:09pm
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:13pm
Handshake
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

[QUOTE=Het-field]Five lads playing in League 1, several lads who are attached to PL teams, in name only. One lad who is on the transfer list in the lower half of the championship, and out of the reckoning as far as selection is concerned. Its bleak.

Defensively, we have decent options and a strong defence can be moulded. The fact that lads like Ciaran Clark can be left out shows that we are not confined by lack of options in the area I also admire Kenny for selecting the two goalkeepers who are playing on a weekly, and the third who is sitting on the bench weekly in the PL. 
I agree with this. Our players, no matter how experienced, shouldn't be rewarded for putting themselves in positions where they have no chance of playing football. Randolph's case is different to just being dropped or being out of form. 

Hopefully it'll serve as an incentive/kick up the hole to our other players who aren't actively seeking out first team opportunities.

Ive a sneaky feeling DR has asked to be dropped down the order and called on if only absolutely necessary. We had those retirement rumours not so long ago. 

Not sure this is entirely SKs call. 

Just on this Randolph was only raving in an interview not that long ago how talented the 3 lads were and it will be a case of when he passes the baton. This was before any of them had even played much senior football certainly not regularly I often think since fairplay to Randolph he was well aware of the talent on offer even back then! 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:15pm
So Kenny echoed a few posters on here re Arter in that its unfortunate that he hasnt played any football but he can play that holding mid role, has a great attitude and done well in the summer training camp. Still not for me though.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

The quality of the squad shows why Kenny shouldn't be getting the sh*te he's getting. It's without doubt the weakest we've ever been player wise. Stan had better quality players as did every other manager in my time watching Ireland.

Kenny is not the problem. 

Is the correct answer. 

Generally this point is correct. However there are some braver calls he could of made. Very string arguments to be made for Kilkenny, Scully and Scales.

Can see us getting pumped in Portugal. Maybe the crowds back in Lansdown might help us nick a result in the other 2 games. This is the most pessimistic I've ever been going into an international window 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:17pm
I imagine the only reason not to select Kilkenny is that Kenny doesn't want to scare the crap of him by being overrun by Portugal in his first international game. Kenny wants options like Molumby and Arter because it we will be playing in our own half for 90% of the game.
Hopefully the game will be 9 behind the ball at all times, at least keep the score to 2 or 3 for them.

I cannot see who we could put in that midfield at this point that isn't selected today.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:18pm
Forget about ability or talent. Trying to even match up with the Portuguese when it comes to match fitness Confused

As a Kenny fan, seriously worried about this window and what horrors could await..
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Generally this point is correct. However there are some braver calls he could of made. Very string arguments to be made for Kilkenny, Scully and Scales.

Can see us getting pumped in Portugal. Maybe the crowds back in Lansdown might help us nick a result in the other 2 games. This is the most pessimistic I've ever been going into an international window 

He referenced Scales in his press conference and said he's next in line at left full - McClean and Manning ahead of him at the minute..  

He wasn't asked about either Kilkenny or Scully so the esteemed members of our 4th estate are obviously not as up to speed as posters on here! 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

I imagine the only reason not to select Kilkenny is that Kenny doesn't want to scare the crap of him by being overrun by Portugal in his first international game. Kenny wants options like Molumby and Arter because it we will be playing in our own half for 90% of the game.
Hopefully the game will be 9 behind the ball at all times, at least keep the score to 2 or 3 for them.

I cannot see who we could put in that midfield at this point that isn't selected today.

Kilkenny doesn't have to play. Put him on the bench. 
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:21pm

Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

Kilkenny doesn't have to play. Put him on the bench. 

or let him play twice for the U21s in their qualifiers.. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

So Kenny echoed a few posters on here re Arter in that its unfortunate that he hasnt played any football but he can play that holding mid role, has a great attitude and done well in the summer training camp. Still not for me though.

Adds up and he's simply a backup for Cullen, who not long ago was a backup for McCarthy.
I understand the inclusion and it goes to prove how few options we have.
Every chance he doesn't see much time unless Cullen needs a rest or gets a knock.

Looking to the future, I'd have Scully in ahead of Long.
And Kilkenny in ahead of Hourihane.

But one is operating at a relatively low level (I'm ignoring Parrott's inclusion here for convenience) and the other has only a handful of games under his belt, so the choices are understandable, even if I disagree with them.

Other than that, we're loudly complaining about the midfield but it's like complaining about the weather - not a lot we can do about it if we have nobody stepping up to take the places off the established lads.

Edited by Fozz - 26 Aug 2021 at 2:26pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:28pm
we must be the most conservative nation in world football. i would rather see kilkenny given a chance than pick players who are sitting on the bench week in/out. at the moment hes good enough to start for bournemouth so why pick a guy who hasn't played since who knows when. its the same old same old with us. 
I love beer gardens
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

or let him play twice for the U21s in their qualifiers.. 

But you could say the same for Collins and Omobamidele who, given our options, may not see much game time. On a rotational basis, Doherty/Coleman would step in on the right, Manning/McClean on the left, with Egan, O'Shea and Duffy rotating in the centre. Like I said, Kenny could also have picked Clark. But this experience will stand to them.

The major difference is that we are short stocked in midfield and the moment a single player, particularly in the middle goes down with injury, we dont have deep options, and will need to resort to calling up players. This is where there is a legitimate case for Kilkenny.

Edited by Het-field - 26 Aug 2021 at 2:47pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:47pm
Kenny probably could have done with having no Irish fans for another international window looking at this squad. Could be entering uncharted waters for Kenny by end of it .
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:48pm
Not surprised to see both Kilkenny and Scully left out - neither were standouts for Kenny at Under 21 level. Seems to underline the theory that, if you weren't a Kenny favourite at under 21 level, you have a long road ahead to get picked under him at senior level, apparently regardless of what you may have done at club level in the last year or 18 months since he left the Under 21s. He seems to have already made his mind up on those lads.

Some other odd picks also - Omobamidele over Clark? Omobamidele is certainly a big prospect for us but surely you'd have Clark closer to the starting team against Portugal at the moment.

Arter and Hourihane - what can you say really, he clearly has his favourites who cannot be dropped regardless of form. Curtis, based on what we've seen of him, is a waste of a pick also. 

I'm surprised he hasn't included a League of Ireland player, when you see the Twitter comments under the squad announcement it's all LoI fans giving out about that. Given that they're the only section of the support base that he still has on his side, it would have seemed pragmatic to call up Scales or someone to keep them on board. You can just see that last bit of support for him dripping away from here.

Realistically the Portugal game is down to him now, if he can't set them up sensibly and pragmatically they'll be destroyed out there and his position will become even less tenable than it already is.

Edited by You Tell Me - 26 Aug 2021 at 2:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 38>
  Share Topic