You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Evan Ferguson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 159>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 10:37am
I'd be happy to see him stay another couple of years at Brighton. He's playing regularly at a high level and seems to be getting a sound footballing education from de Zerbi and the coaching staff there. It's not like he's slumming it down in League 1.

If he moved in two years time he'd still only be 20 then. If he goes to Manchester United or wherever at 18 he'll just be another promising youngster to be hyped up and then shot down again when he doesn't score for three or four games. I doubt he'd get the same level of individual attention from the coaching staff there either, it would be just sink or swim.
Sponsored Links

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 10:38am
Originally posted by PaddyMaddenIsCounty! PaddyMaddenIsCounty! wrote:

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by Tweetering Tweetering wrote:

Yeah, if he moves now, he won't get enough minutes at a top 6 club to develop fully. Better off moving when he is 21/22 imo.

He would be first choice if he moved to United next season. Ten Hag has a great track record of developing young players. It's the best place for him.
He's also not managed a club with same expectations and pressures as United. If, hypothetically, they bought Ferguson in the summer and he only had 5/6 goals by Christmas, there'd be clamour to get a new striker in.

I think in this social media age it'd be a huge risk, the way players at big clubs get memed and abused these days is ridiculous. Look what they did to Harry Maguire! He should wait a couple of years and cut his teeth at a club with less pressure.
No feck that attitude, we need produce players who embrace pressure, thrive under pressure and who back themselves and push themselves. Can’t compare him to Maguire. But look at Haaland, 6 months of form in Austria and backed himself to do it at Dortmund. No waiting around. Robbie Keane same, off to Inter when opportunity arose, didn’t work but he had balls to give it a go. 
He's just turned 18! All well and good citing Robbie Keane, but let's be honest, his club career didn't pan out as it should have - he was finished by the time he was 28/29. So maybe there's something to be said for a slightly more measured approach? I'm not saying he should stay at Brighton for the rest of his career, but another season or two wouldn't harm him.

Comparisons to Haaland are tough to make, as we're talking about a lad who's going to go down as one of the best strikers of all time there. EF is good, but not quite that good (unfortunately)

Edited by SeaSharp - 20 Mar 2023 at 10:39am
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 10:44am
Lads he scored twice against Grimsby yesterday. 

Look I have eyes he’s an exceptional prospect by any country’s standards and he could go to the top but the talk this morning has gone a bit wild. 

Brighton are challenging for Europe if not CL places this season in a Cup semi final. He’s in the perfect spot to develop for a few seasons where he will likely be No.1. 

If you want a comparison to Haaland when he was in his equivalent season in 2018/19 (born in 2000) to Ferguson (2004 in his 22/23 season) he was still at Molde and had scored 12 in 25.

Just context Ferguson has so much time but also tells us it’s fairly frightening where he could be in 3/4 years time with a bit of luck. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 10:44am
Some people are never happy - an 18 year old striker breaks through in the EPL and performs well, but that's not good enough unless he moves to a top 4 team in the summer. Spanners
We're decent enough..
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 10:47am

Originally posted by Tweetering Tweetering wrote:

Yeah, if he moves now, he won't get enough minutes at a top 6 club to develop fully. Better off moving when he is 21/22 imo.

He would be first choice if he moved to United next season. Ten Hag has a great track record of developing young players. It's the best place for him.
He's also not managed a club with same expectations and pressures as United. If, hypothetically, they bought Ferguson in the summer and he only had 5/6 goals by Christmas, there'd be clamour to get a new striker in.

I think in this social media age it'd be a huge risk, the way players at big clubs get memed and abused these days is ridiculous. Look what they did to Harry Maguire! He should wait a couple of years and cut his teeth at a club with less pressure.
No feck that attitude, we need produce players who embrace pressure, thrive under pressure and who back themselves and push themselves. Can’t compare him to Maguire. But look at Haaland, 6 months of form in Austria and backed himself to do it at Dortmund. No waiting around. Robbie Keane same, off to Inter when opportunity arose, didn’t work but he had balls to give it a go. 
He's just turned 18! All well and good citing Robbie Keane, but let's be honest, his club career didn't pan out as it should have - he was finished by the time he was 28/29. So maybe there's something to be said for a slightly more measured approach? I'm not saying he should stay at Brighton for the rest of his career, but another season or two wouldn't harm him.

Comparisons to Haaland are tough to make, as we're talking about a lad who's going to go down as one of the best strikers of all time there. EF is good, but not quite that good (unfortunately)
Haaland was still playing in Norway at Fergusons age….let’s see where Ferguson is in 4/5 years if he backs himself. Then debate about them. 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 10:47am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'd be happy to see him stay another couple of years at Brighton. He's playing regularly at a high level and seems to be getting a sound footballing education from de Zerbi and the coaching staff there. It's not like he's slumming it down in League 1.

If he moved in two years time he'd still only be 20 then. If he goes to Manchester United or wherever at 18 he'll just be another promising youngster to be hyped up and then shot down again when he doesn't score for three or four games. I doubt he'd get the same level of individual attention from the coaching staff there either, it would be just sink or swim.

If Brighton end up following back in the pack next season there might be calls for more experience up front. Maybe he stops scoring and they look to bring in someone else. If De Zerbi gets poached then somebody else might not fancy Ferguson as a player. Maybe he stops scoring at Brighton and people start comparing him to Connolly.

You can do all this what if sh*te with Brighton too. 

The fact is, United need a striker, Ferguson is the exact type of profile Ten Hag likes, and Ten Hag has one of the best track records in Europe of developing players into elite stars. It's an absolute no brainer. 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 10:50am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Some people are never happy - an 18 year old striker breaks through in the EPL and performs well, but that's not good enough unless he moves to a top 4 team in the summer. Spanners

Point out exactly where people have stated what Evan Ferguson has done so far isnt good enough. Spanner.

CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 10:55am
Brighton is the perfect spot for him at the minute. They are brilliantly coached, play great attacking football, good at developing young players and are having a great season competing for Europe and the cup. If he could be playing European football for them next season it would be amazing. I don't think there are many if any better suited clubs across Europe than Brighton right now. 

United are an interesting prospect too in fairness as they need a striker and Ten Hag seems like a great manager. Longer term I can see him ending up somewhere like that hopefully, but for now he should stay where he is. I know he is hyped up now but if he can manage to hit double digit goals in the PL for Brighton next season he will be one of the hottest prospects in the world. 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:03am
If he stays at Brighton next season and keeps up what he is doing, there is nobody that will be unhappy for him. His stock will continue to grow, obviously, as long as he works hard and doesnt completely regress. And Brighton isnt a bad place for him, obviously.

Eerybody is aware that not everybody that shows this level of promise is a guarantee to 'make it'. 

But there is an interesting hypothetical scenario which very easily could become more than just a hypothetical, as United need a striker this summer, they will 100 percent be in the market for one, and he is an extremely obvious candidate for that move.

I would be extremely surprised if there wasnt more on this over the summer, and this is a just a discussion over the positives and negatives of that hypothetical. Not to he confused by certain people wandering in here and having a typical meltdown claiming (without any proof) people arent happy with him.
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:07am

Point out exactly where people have stated what Evan Ferguson has done so far isnt good enough. Spanner.

Only saying he should back himself to succeed and not shy away from opportunity to progress. Spanner 👍
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:09am
My only worry with staying at a club like Brighton is things can change very very quickly in the Prem. It's not too long ago Stoke were absolute mainstays and you felt they'd established themselves as another PL club unlikely to be relegated. Brighton are a well run club and seem to have found a really good replacement for Potter, they always seem to find a few gems to keep them punching above their weight as well, but if they make Europe how well set up are they to handle that extra fixture load? How easily and quickly could they end up in a dogfight for relegation? 

It's all ifs and buts, football is so dependent on the environment these lads find themselves in so anything can happen, I just don't think all the calls for him to stay at Brighton another two or three years is the risk free, playing every week paradise some seem to be putting forward.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:15am

Never seen a fella with a more twisted view of reading posts.

A child. 
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:25am

Haaland was still playing in Norway at Fergusons age….let’s see where Ferguson is in 4/5 years if he backs himself. Then debate about them. 
That's a fair point.. there is every possibility that he could absolutely explode over the next few years. 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:36am

In regards to game time in our matches, I’d like to see him start against Latvia with a view to playing 45-60 mins max. Then start him against France with a minimum of 60 mins and hopefully 90 assuming it’s going ok for him 
El Puto Amo
Luder View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 12:00pm
He'd be mad to go to United at this point in his career. He could make the move in the summer amid fanfare but then a week later United buy some high profile superstar for €100 million and Evan ends up spending most of the season on the bench. Bad idea.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 12:17pm
Fair to say there's a few Man United fans on this thread thinking more about what they would like to happen rather than what's best for the player.

Top class strikers will always be in demand. If he's good enough he'll get a big move in time, hopefully even to a better club than United.

In the meantime he has plenty to learn and Brighton seems to be the ideal place for him to develop his game.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

My only worry with staying at a club like Brighton is things can change very very quickly in the Prem. It's not too long ago Stoke were absolute mainstays and you felt they'd established themselves as another PL club unlikely to be relegated. Brighton are a well run club and seem to have found a really good replacement for Potter, they always seem to find a few gems to keep them punching above their weight as well, but if they make Europe how well set up are they to handle that extra fixture load? How easily and quickly could they end up in a dogfight for relegation? 

It's all ifs and buts, football is so dependent on the environment these lads find themselves in so anything can happen, I just don't think all the calls for him to stay at Brighton another two or three years is the risk free, playing every week paradise some seem to be putting forward.

What's your alternative to Brighton?

If Brighton were relegated, he'd move on like Collins did at Burnley 

VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 12:42pm
6 years younger but played the same amount of club games as Kelleher.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 159>
  Share Topic