Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Evan Ferguson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 159>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 6:48pm
Why are we even discussing this rubbish about him going to England. Seriously like FFS
I love beer gardens
Sponsored Links

dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Out of interest, where were Rice and Grealish in their respective careers in terms of appearances when they defected?
Purely hypothetically, if England wanted to give Ferguson a PowerPoint presentation, where would he sit in their plans? They are stacked. What assurances could they give him at this point?

England actually cap some relative crap when you look at some of the one and two cap players on the list in this link:

Absolutely, again the big teams hold all the cards. England lose nothing by twisting his arm and capping him now. They can then sit back and see how he progresses. It's no skin of their back if his career stalls. 

That's the point I was trying to make above. And in the reverse, there's a reason why England didn't go after the likes of Clinton Morrison or Cyrus Christie, but if they were interested for whatever reason and they put on an English shirt, I wouldn't begrudge them the opportunity as footballers. 

Kilbane would strike me as an obvious exception, but by an large the likes of Townsend, Aldo, Casc David Kelly, Chris Hughton, Chris Morris would have likely played for England if they were called up, Houghton Scotland and Sheedy with Wakes That doesn't make them less committed to the green shirt they wore, just the reality of the situation. 

But let's not kid ourself that a lot of these middling crafters were sitting around listening to the Wolfe Tones and waiting Jack to be appointed so they could fulfil their destiny. Of course they would have played for England if that opportunity would have arisen first. 

Ironically, England went after both of the players you mention. Christie and Morrison were offered places in the England under 21's but opted for Ireland.

There's always been a lot of pontificating on here about "what players would have done", uttered with the kind of certainty which suggests an ability verging on telepathy. If you're going to question people's motives, at least know the facts.

The Almighty has spoken, I'd say your best mates with them wha. Grat servants both but come off it pal if you think they'd have turned down a full cap over a chance to run around Baldonnel on a pissy Tuesday with Ian Evans or Guppy chasing them round
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 8:48pm

Out of interest, where were Rice and Grealish in their respective careers in terms of appearances when they defected?
Purely hypothetically, if England wanted to give Ferguson a PowerPoint presentation, where would he sit in their plans? They are stacked. What assurances could they give him at this point?

England actually cap some relative crap when you look at some of the one and two cap players on the list in this link:

Absolutely, again the big teams hold all the cards. England lose nothing by twisting his arm and capping him now. They can then sit back and see how he progresses. It's no skin of their back if his career stalls. 

That's the point I was trying to make above. And in the reverse, there's a reason why England didn't go after the likes of Clinton Morrison or Cyrus Christie, but if they were interested for whatever reason and they put on an English shirt, I wouldn't begrudge them the opportunity as footballers. 

Kilbane would strike me as an obvious exception, but by an large the likes of Townsend, Aldo, Casc David Kelly, Chris Hughton, Chris Morris would have likely played for England if they were called up, Houghton Scotland and Sheedy with Wakes That doesn't make them less committed to the green shirt they wore, just the reality of the situation. 

But let's not kid ourself that a lot of these middling crafters were sitting around listening to the Wolfe Tones and waiting Jack to be appointed so they could fulfil their destiny. Of course they would have played for England if that opportunity would have arisen first. 

Ironically, England went after both of the players you mention. Christie and Morrison were offered places in the England under 21's but opted for Ireland.

There's always been a lot of pontificating on here about "what players would have done", uttered with the kind of certainty which suggests an ability verging on telepathy. If you're going to question people's motives, at least know the facts.

The Almighty has spoken, I'd say your best mates with them wha. Grat servants both but come off it pal if you think they'd have turned down a full cap over a chance to run around Baldonnel on a pissy Tuesday with Ian Evans or Guppy chasing them round

I don't know whether they'd have turned down a senior England cap, but I do know you're moving the goalposts. You said they'd never turn down England, but both of them did. That is the only thing that isn't conjecture.
We're decent enough..
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 9:29pm

I don't know whether they'd have turned down a senior England cap, but I do know you're moving the goalposts. You said they'd never turn down England, but both of them did. That is the only thing that isn't conjecture.

You have a fair point for once pal but I can only see them choosing a senior England cap if that was ever an option,and the U21 thing as more a confirmation that ship had sailed and Ireland was next best. I suppose reverse examples would be the likes of Tony Adams and Rooney.

Edited by dangere_here - 22 Feb 2023 at 9:30pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 9:50pm

You have a fair point for once pal but I can only see them choosing a senior England cap if that was ever an option,and the U21 thing as more a confirmation that ship had sailed and Ireland was next best. I suppose reverse examples would be the likes of Tony Adams and Rooney.

I don't see how an under 21 call up could be interpreted as "the ship has sailed" though, surely it's the exact opposite? You're 21 or ypunger and you're being asked to join the squad immediately below the seniors, if anything it's a confirmation you have a good chance of winning senior caps in future if that is what you actually want.
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

Not happening, non-story. The lad is Irish to the bone as are his family
Except his English mother and grandparents
RichStrike View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichStrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

However he was raised in Ireland. That's the key difference with the obvious comparisons to Grealish/Rice, even Keane. All three where Irish descent raised in England, surrounded by not only the English culture but also friends going through school and no doubt they all pretended to be Beckham or Owen during PE.  
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 1:24am
He wore Reebok's in school once and doesn't know the lyrics to Give it a Lash Jack..
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 4:12am

He wore Reebok's in school once and doesn't know the lyrics to Give it a Lash Jack..

And didn't tippex out the butchers apron, a clear sign he's going to play for them.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 7:35am

Except she is a proud Irish woman that was born in England. Get the facts right 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Is there not a 3 years wait period from the original Caps to becoming eligible to switch?

"it is now possible for a player to change national team even if they have played competitively at senior level, provided:
  1. the player held the nationality of their new association at the time of their first official appearance for their first national team.
  2. the player played in no more than three competitive senior games before the age of 21.
  3. the player has not played in the final stage of an official tournament such as the World Cup, European Championship, Copa America etc.
  4. at least three years have passed since the player's last senior appearance for their previous national team."

Not that it matters, this whole thing is just the result of a load of sh*t-stirring by a certain poster. Ferguson isn't going anywhere.

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

When is Kenny naming his squad? 
Are there enough days in between for the forum to completely meltdown?

About 3 weeks from now, probably 16th or 17th. Squad meets up on the 19th/20th.

The three years thing is only if we had competitively capped him. We only capped him in friendlies so the three years isn't relevant here.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 8:03am

Is his mother from an Irish background? I had thought she was born there/had English parents etc.

Edited by The O'Shea - 23 Feb 2023 at 8:12am
We're decent enough..
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 8:10am

Is his mother from an Irish background? I had thought she was born there/had Emglish parents etc.

No Irish background AFAIK. Must feel more Irish than English as she is a proud Irish woman 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 11:19am
Maybe that Fabinho tackle got him thinking. I need to get as much money out of this before some other donkey cripples me.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 2:36pm
Dan McDonnell said as much on OTB yday re his mother’s Englishness not exactly as thorough as initially presented. 

Quit the gossip, the lad will play for us. The paranoia is only succumbing to gutter journalism and Brexit tiktokers who sleep with the light on.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

Dan McDonnell said as much on OTB yday re his mother’s Englishness not exactly as thorough as initially presented. 

Quit the gossip, the lad will play for us. The paranoia is only succumbing to gutter journalism and Brexit tiktokers who sleep with the light on.

They weren't actually talking about this on OTB were they? I'm not surprised it's being discussed here but I'd have thought that the media would collectively roll their eyes and move on.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 3:34pm

Lads, I dont want to alarm anyone but I just saw Evan Ferguson and Jacob Rees Moggs throwing plastic patio furniture around the street and singing Vindaloo. 
El Puto Amo
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 3:43pm

Lads, I dont want to alarm anyone but I just saw Evan Ferguson and Jacob Rees Moggs throwing plastic patio furniture around the street and singing Vindaloo. 

LOL
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 159>
  Share Topic