You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland u19s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 47>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Any reason Kevin Zefi hasn't been called up to the under 19's training camp in preparation for next month's matches? 21's maybe?

I don't think he's injured, and there are players from Spain and Germany so it's not like it's a uk-based selection.

Still eligible for 17s but looking at the players selected surely he should have got a nod.

No Tayo Adaramola either
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:47pm
Parrott and Ferguson both made debuts at 17, so maybe not too outlandish. Also given that I don't think there's anybody in the 21s who has even close to his skill set, so it's not like we're just calling up another striker with prodigy status.

Probably is injured LOL
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:52pm
Adaramola is 18 and we're not overstocked with good left backs at underage, so he could easily be lined up for an Under 21 call up.

Zefi must be unavailable for some reason, I'd have said he's at least a year too young for the Under 21s.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 4:11pm
These training camps are often more for coaches to look at other lads who weren't in previous squads with some lads that might not have been in many squads.

Also don't think Zefi will be in with the U19s next month and will be in with the U17s. Did come off the bench for the U19s but Calum Kavanagh is fit and playing games so will hopefully be available next month.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 4:26pm
Clubs also dont have to release players for training camps.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 5:51pm
to me it certainly seems like some of the lads who are definite starters for the U19's aren't involved in this camp.
Abankwah, Curtis, Roughan, Corbally , McJannet; Kenny, Zefi, Emakhu, Moran, Hayes, Caffrey Armstrong.

All involved in the last qualifer and not in this training camp.

So looks to me like a chance to view some of the squad a bit more and also add in a few lads they havent seen in a while

Edited by greenshoots - 07 Feb 2022 at 5:52pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 6:20pm
Doherty, McNulty, Okagbue, Jack Francis, Ed McJannet are the only players I can see which played in the first round of qualifiers. Harry Vaughan would have been called up but his passport hadn't been sorted at the time.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

to me it certainly seems like some of the lads who are definite starters for the U19's aren't involved in this camp.
Abankwah, Curtis, Roughan, Corbally , McJannet; Kenny, Zefi, Emakhu, Moran, Hayes, Caffrey Armstrong.

All involved in the last qualifer and not in this training camp.

So looks to me like a chance to view some of the squad a bit more and also add in a few lads they havent seen in a while

Still some interesting names in the camp and when you add back in that list above, we have a very strong contingent in this age-group.
The matches next month should be well worth seeing, so I hope there's not the usual flutering about to view them live.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 6:26pm

Any reason Kevin Zefi hasn't been called up to the under 19's training camp in preparation for next month's matches? 21's maybe?

I don't think he's injured, and there are players from Spain and Germany so it's not like it's a uk-based selection.

Still eligible for 17s but looking at the players selected surely he should have got a nod.

He has Albanian parents and already has Albanian family members living in Italy, which has a huge Albanian population and proud culture.

There's nothing to suggest he'll switch but he'll definitely be getting encouragement in that regard.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

He has Albanian parents and already has Albanian family members living in Italy, which has a huge Albanian population and proud culture.

There's nothing to suggest he'll switch but he'll definitely be getting encouragement in that regard.

Yeah, it could be one of many reasons such as the other age groups he is eligible for, the fact that he is based in Italy and the fact that this doesn't look like a first pick squad and it's just a training camp. But you take the opportunity to cast doubt over whether he will stick with us. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 8:09pm

Such an unnecessary and underhanded comment.

greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 8:41pm
His cousins are the Ferizaj and the dad of the Ferizaj is on Twitter and very proud his son plays for Ireland. Sees it as his ultimate goal in life to pull on the green jersey. So no reason to think Kevin Zefi would be any different
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Such an unnecessary and underhanded comment.

Read the bolded part. I said there is nothing to suggest he'll switch. I merely said his entire lineage is Albanian. If I said an English-born footballer of Irish parentage was apt to consider representing Ireland because his parents and cousins and extended family was Irish it wouldn't be the slightest bit controversial. No need to get so defensive and myopic. We have lads from multicultural backgrounds representing us and we have to accept that we'll inevitably lose some. Again, I reiterate, nothing to suggest he'll switch.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 9:04pm
I can't see Zefi ever going near the Albanian setup unless his career ends up being a lot less successful than it's expected to be.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 9:13pm
I hate this nonsense talk of committed dual nationality players possibly jumping ship at any opportunity.

All because we had a grand total of TWO English born lads do it in our 100 year history.

Every second post on Facebook is "ah wont be long switching to XYZ" in relation to any young lad whos progressing well.

Its especially annoying with players who were born and raised here like Zefi and Ferizaj. I dont recall their being that much talk of Idah, Bazunu Omobamidele etc.. running off to link up with Nigeria.

I seen earlier Rocco Vata's Ma actually commenting on a post that questioning her Sons commitment.

She shouldnt need to be doing that.

These are grown men having a pop at a 16 year old kid over notions in their own head.

If the young lads are reading that themselves it can only have a detrimental effect on them and their opinion of the Irish team and fans.

It needs to stop.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 9:29pm
Bazunu, Idah and Omobamidele have an Irish parent so the link is diluted a bit. Chiedozie Ogbene has two Nigerian parents and said he'd be equally happy to represent either country, though of course I'm delighted he ultimately chose us.

Okoflex and Mipo Odubeko are another couple of lads who took time out to consider who they wanted to represent (Okoflex played for England; Odubeko's agent said his Intl future wasn't set in stone).

I'm sure more lads than Rice and Grealish have defected over the course of time (Michael Keane off the top of my head and I'm sure I could come up with plenty of others) but it's a bit obtuse to ignore the fact that a lot of dual-eligible players who represented us didn't have a decision to make. England were never going to select Richard Keogh, Sean St Ledger or Paul Green for instance.

It's awful if Vata is getting guff on Facebook (I wasn't aware of that as I don't use Facebook). Not sure what relevance it has in polite discussion on this thread, granted.

Calum Kavanagh is proudly representing us despite being born in England with an English mum. His own dad has said he strongly encouraged him to play for Ireland. According to the popular narrative, Rice was swayed towards Ireland by his father (no idea if it's remotely true).

It goes both ways. And ultimately it's up to the player. And Zefi has given no indication he will play for anyone but Ireland. So no need for the hysterics. 

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 07 Feb 2022 at 9:32pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 10:30pm

Bazunu, Idah and Omobamidele have an Irish parent so the link is diluted a bit. Chiedozie Ogbene has two Nigerian parents and said he'd be equally happy to represent either country, though of course I'm delighted he ultimately chose us.

Okoflex and Mipo Odubeko are another couple of lads who took time out to consider who they wanted to represent (Okoflex played for England; Odubeko's agent said his Intl future wasn't set in stone).

I'm sure more lads than Rice and Grealish have defected over the course of time (Michael Keane off the top of my head and I'm sure I could come up with plenty of others) but it's a bit obtuse to ignore the fact that a lot of dual-eligible players who represented us didn't have a decision to make. England were never going to select Richard Keogh, Sean St Ledger or Paul Green for instance.

It's awful if Vata is getting guff on Facebook (I wasn't aware of that as I don't use Facebook). Not sure what relevance it has in polite discussion on this thread, granted.

Calum Kavanagh is proudly representing us despite being born in England with an English mum. His own dad has said he strongly encouraged him to play for Ireland. According to the popular narrative, Rice was swayed towards Ireland by his father (no idea if it's remotely true).

It goes both ways. And ultimately it's up to the player. And Zefi has given no indication he will play for anyone but Ireland. So no need for the hysterics. 

Callum Kavanaghs mother is Irish. Liam O'Brien's sister. He's not goin anywhere.

There's a better football pedigree on his mother's side than his dad's side.

Edited by Banjaxed - 07 Feb 2022 at 10:32pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 10:36pm

Callum Kavanaghs mother is Irish. Liam O'Brien's sister. He's not goin anywhere.

There's a better football pedigree on his mother's side than his dad's side.

Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 47>
  Share Topic