Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 4:04pm
Thanks!

Any surprises in that lot? Apart from Ireland and Gilsenan I suppose

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 4:09pm
Bosun Lawal and Calum Kavanagh the two most exciting out of that list from what I’m familiar with. Kavanagh a striker who’s making fierce progress and scoring for fun no matter the level U18s Youth Cup U23s and the more we have of that the better and Lawal looks a monster almost Doucoure like has played centr back and CM. Plenty other names there I’m not familiar enough with many to make a concrete judgement call on them. 

Any lads in that list more exciting then those two? 

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 4:18pm
No sign of Zefi or Ferguson?

Edit - I suppose Zefi is still based in Ireland, which would explain his absence.

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Edit - I suppose Zefi is still based in Ireland, which would explain his absence.
zefi born 2005. Ferguson 2004. 

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 5:30pm

Ferguson's absence is probably because he'll be starting for the U19s, or at least in the squad anyway if fit. Was starting for the U17s at 15 and scored three goals.

This training camp is probably more for coaches to look at other players, and get a look a few dual national players too.

Posted By: Frabhoy
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 5:35pm
Ferguson, Andrew Moran (brighton) and Ben Quinn (Celtic) are ones i'm thinking are missing.

The first two maybe in contention for u21. Quinn probably staying with celtic, whose u18 season started late. 

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 5:48pm
Ben Andreucci was with Scotland.

Looks like a scorched-earth policy in terms of recruitment/player selection.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Frabhoy Frabhoy wrote:

Ferguson, Andrew Moran (brighton) and Ben Quinn (Celtic) are ones i'm thinking are missing.

The first two maybe in contention for u21. Quinn probably staying with celtic, whose u18 season started late. 
Quinn is born 2004 so maybe too young? 

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

No harm I suppose it’s seems like we have only missed out on dual nationality players the last few years instead of picking them up. Going there will be plenty lost but might gain a few too

Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 8:13pm

It’s for England based players I’m finding on the whole hence Ferguson Moran Zefi Roughan Adaramola even all these players I’m thinking are at home at the moment as there season has finished? 

Seems a mixture of players with dual nationalities and players who basically are English born. 

It’s almost like a grooming job. 😂 It’s a great idea we should do it once or twice a year for U19s in particular as you can bring in lads of multiple ages from 15-18 at ages where they may only be thinking about their international situation. Your getting in early it sets the seed. 

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 8:15pm
Roughan is on trial at Chelsea, which may explain him, he must be due to sit the leaving soon too.

But yes, it's definitely a good exercise to get into the heads of these lads. 

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 8:23pm
Roughan did the leaving last year via predicted grades. Would have to assume he's a cert for the qualifiers so no need to interrupt his Chelsea trial really.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Roughan did the leaving last year via predicted grades. Would have to assume he's a cert for the qualifiers so no need to interrupt his Chelsea trial really.

That must have been a fun one for the department of education to figure out LOL

Fair play to the lad and his family, have the head screwed on correctly. 

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 9:59pm
Great to see Jonny Walters involved in the set up 

Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:46pm
Noah Jauny, who plays for Stade Brestois, is the son of Frenchman, Stephane Jauny, who played in the LOI.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 12:48pm
Would have been a massive boost if Liam Delap was on that list. 

Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

History dictates that >95% of these lads won't play for us if they end up at teams like Arsenal/Tottenham/Everton/Leeds. Or pretty much any team in the PL that isn't a yoyo club.

Christie, Walters, St Ledger, Arter, McGoldrick, Green, Westwood, Robinson, O'Dowda, Keogh

I thought of 10 granny rule players off the top of my head and those are probably the highest profile granny rule players who've played for us since the Staunton era.

Not one of those would have got within an arse's roar of the English setup.

O'Dowda and Robinson were young and playing at a reasonable level when they were tied down, but we're talking about someone who has made half of his career appearances at club level off the bench (O'Dowda), and someone who's failed to make the grade at two PL clubs (Robinson).

I don't think any of that group were savants for us, or anyone else, at underage level. If an eligible player comes along and makes an impact for us, I think it's going to continue to be a grafter like Walters or McGoldrick and not a playmaker in the mold of Hoolahan or a goalscorer in the mold of Robbie.

It's a nice diversion looking at this list of players, even for me, and it's nice to wonder about what-ifs, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 1:29pm

I would have thought that would be a snowballs chance in hell of ever happening? Do you think it possible? 

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 1:33pm

History dictates that >95% of these lads won't play for us if they end up at teams like Arsenal/Tottenham/Everton/Leeds. Or pretty much any team in the PL that isn't a yoyo club.

Christie, Walters, St Ledger, Arter, McGoldrick, Green, Westwood, Robinson, O'Dowda, Keogh

I thought of 10 granny rule players off the top of my head and those are probably the highest profile granny rule players who've played for us since the Staunton era.

Not one of those would have got within an arse's roar of the English setup.

O'Dowda and Robinson were young and playing at a reasonable level when they were tied down, but we're talking about someone who has made half of his career appearances at club level off the bench (O'Dowda), and someone who's failed to make the grade at two PL clubs (Robinson).

I don't think any of that group were savants for us, or anyone else, at underage level. If an eligible player comes along and makes an impact for us, I think it's going to continue to be a grafter like Walters or McGoldrick and not a playmaker in the mold of Hoolahan or a goalscorer in the mold of Robbie.

It's a nice diversion looking at this list of players, even for me, and it's nice to wonder about what-ifs, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

History probably dictates 95% probably won't go on to be senior internationals...for anyone. 

Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I would have thought that would be a snowballs chance in hell of ever happening? Do you think it possible? 

Based on no evidence or information that isn't already easily available (so purely opinion) I think he'll play for ireland. 

His Irish heritage and family are as green as you can get. His dad played in green for the u21 and senior team and would have had a lot more caps if injury didn't get in the way, and he has close ties to family in ireland. Strong enough to have a name like Liam.

Wheras Harry Kane didn't really value his irish heritage, I get the feeling that  the delap family celebrate it.

Again, only opinion.

Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 1:53pm

Based on no evidence or information that isn't already easily available (so purely opinion) I think he'll play for ireland. 

His Irish heritage and family are as green as you can get. His dad played in green for the u21 and senior team and would have had a lot more caps if injury didn't get in the way, and he has close ties to family in ireland. Strong enough to have a name like Liam.

Wheras Harry Kane didn't really value his irish heritage, I get the feeling that  the delap family celebrate it.

Again, only opinion.

Does someone have to declare for Ireland to show appreciation for their heritage? Jamie O'Hara is perfectly aware of his Irish heritage but didn't want to take caps off an Irishman. Dave Kitson refused to play for Ireland out of principle. Harry Kane's father maintains links to Ireland and I'm sure he passed that down to Harry. But he was born and raised in England and feels English, and most importantly, is good enough to play for England.

There are loads of players playing for Ireland, or who played for Ireland, who don't care a jot about their Irish heritage. And there are likely several in that U19 list.

Sentiment rarely comes into it. And I suppose I should get with the program along with everyone else in that regard, even if I take a more cynical approach to the scorched-earth policy of recruiting anyone with an Irish surname, often to the neglect of, you know, actual Irish players at similar age groups.

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 2:03pm

Again, only opinion.

Think it's fairly clear he wants to play for England. He played for England Under 18s at the end of March. 

Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 2:10pm
I think its more complicated than that hotlips, the international football eligibility framework is based on feelings and ambition.

Odubeko is of irish berth to parents of Nigerian heritage but may opt to play for England due to football ambition.

Bazunu has stronger ties as he was born in ireland and has an Irish parent. So far less likely want to play anywhere else bit still eligible.

You've got Ryan johansson who has taken the legal route to play for ireland.

There are ireland supporters on here that were born outside of ireland, given the chance would chose one of two international options had they played professionally. First option would be ireland, second option would be not playing international football at all.

As I said, Liam Dalap playing for ireland is just my opinion so should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Again, only opinion.

Think it's fairly clear he wants to play for England. He played for England Under 18s at the end of March. 

Grealish played for the ireland youth setup with no ambition to play for the senior setup. Grealishs brother was on this forum saying "he's happy playing for ireland for now"

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 2:16pm

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Again, only opinion.

Grealish played for the ireland youth setup with no ambition to play for the senior setup. Grealishs brother was on this forum saying "he's happy playing for ireland for now"

Where is there any indication that Delap wants to play for Ireland?
Kenny mentioned they already talked to him and he has subsequently then played for England. 

Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 3:20pm

Again, only opinion.

Does someone have to declare for Ireland to show appreciation for their heritage? Jamie O'Hara is perfectly aware of his Irish heritage but didn't want to take caps off an Irishman. Dave Kitson refused to play for Ireland out of principle. Harry Kane's father maintains links to Ireland and I'm sure he passed that down to Harry. But he was born and raised in England and feels English, and most importantly, is good enough to play for England.

There are loads of players playing for Ireland, or who played for Ireland, who don't care a jot about their Irish heritage. And there are likely several in that U19 list.

Sentiment rarely comes into it. And I suppose I should get with the program along with everyone else in that regard, even if I take a more cynical approach to the scorched-earth policy of recruiting anyone with an Irish surname, often to the neglect of, you know, actual Irish players at similar age groups.

I have no issue with a scorched earth policy actually I’d regard this U19 camp in England full of lads of dual nationalities coming into our underage setup planting the seed showing your interest in them as shrewd a move as I have seen in a while. We will be having a separate homegrown/FAI camp too so it’s not that their expense.  

However it can’t continue to be at the expense of our homegrown players it needs to be in conjunction to complement a conveyor belt of homegrown talent you are spot on there. We have homegrown talent coming through now again. 

As regards Delap I’d make it shorter you would see Odubeko play for us and I don’t give that a hope not in the short term. Odubeko seems to have his eyes set on England. 

Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 3:44pm

Again, only opinion.

Entitled to it. The one thing I would definitely agree with is there’s more of a chance of the likes of Hodge Smallbone or even a Delap or an Odubeko to turn around and commit/stick with us in 3/4 years time due to the sheer amount of raw talent England are producing again. 

Look at the forwards, the attacking midfielders and the full backs England possess. It’s frightening the depth they are developing in those positions particularly.

Joel Bagan who’s is more than rumoured to be committing to us is an example of this. I’m not sure a young lad showing promise like he has on the cusp of playing for Cardiff only for injury at 19 would have done that 7/8 years ago. England 7/8 years ago had Baines Bertrand an ancient Ashley Cole out of favour and Luke Shaw being brought to the World Cup at 17. 

Che Adam’s for Scotland another example 7/8 years ago he wouldnt have been as far away from playing for England. Welbeck Rooney Sturridge and Lambert were the World Cup 2014 options. 

No comparison

Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 5:02pm
It really doesn't sit well that there will be (and currently are) players playing for ireland that would prefer to be playing for another team. 

They'll choose ireland as the next best option to push forward their football career (I guess its always been like that really when you hear jokes that we are the England B team)

If Bamford doesn't get chosen for the ngland squad in the euros and then declares for ireland, I wonder what the response would be?

Posted By: JoxerDaly
Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 5:32pm
Josh Ireland scored 2 and assisted 2 in todays game for what its worth.

Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 5:57pm

It really doesn't sit well that there will be (and currently are) players playing for ireland that would prefer to be playing for another team. 

They'll choose ireland as the next best option to push forward their football career (I guess its always been like that really when you hear jokes that we are the England B team)

If Bamford doesn't get chosen for the ngland squad in the euros and then declares for ireland, I wonder what the response would be?

Can he still technically declare for us? I thought he has been capped no? 

Some of our cult hero’s only declared for Ireland late in the day and openly admit they would have declared for England if approached strongly. 

It wouldn’t bother me at all similar to Che Adam’s with Scotland although it’s got to be a complement to the homegrown quality like Scotland not at the expense of producing it. 

Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Josh Ireland scored 2 and assisted 2 in todays game for what its worth.

U18s? Dortmund were trying to sign him apparently so he must be good. Don’t confess to knowing much about him beyond that. 

Good to see they have got him on board for the training camp. 

Posted By: Howdo
Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 6:17pm

Again, only opinion.

Entitled to it. The one thing I would definitely agree with is there’s more of a chance of the likes of Hodge Smallbone or even a Delap or an Odubeko to turn around and commit/stick with us in 3/4 years time due to the sheer amount of raw talent England are producing again. 

Look at the forwards, the attacking midfielders and the full backs England possess. It’s frightening the depth they are developing in those positions particularly.

Joel Bagan who’s is more than rumoured to be committing to us is an example of this. I’m not sure a young lad showing promise like he has on the cusp of playing for Cardiff only for injury at 19 would have done that 7/8 years ago. England 7/8 years ago had Baines Bertrand an ancient Ashley Cole out of favour and Luke Shaw being brought to the World Cup at 17. 

Che Adam’s for Scotland another example 7/8 years ago he wouldnt have been as far away from playing for England. Welbeck Rooney Sturridge and Lambert were the World Cup 2014 options. 

No comparison

Speaking of Joe Hodge, is he still injured?

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 7:58pm
I thought Gilsenan declared for Australia 

Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 8:00pm
Gilsenan hasn't played competitively for either country as far as I know. So no need for him to declare for either as of yet. Even if he goes with Ireland for now on the back of this training camp, he can still switch back to Australia in future if he wants to.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 8:13pm
I wonder is Irelands son someone who would flip again?? Im not sure if Stephen would like to see him play for us or would he care that much. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: delgado
Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 10:36pm
who else stood out in the match apart from josh ireland 

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I wonder is Irelands son someone who would flip again?? Im not sure if Stephen would like to see him play for us or would he care that much. 

Stephen came out a few years ago and said it was a regret not playing more for Ireland and he would like to play again for us . At that stage he was past it 

Posted By: AbuAbu
Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 10:53pm
In the past I can see how lads played internationally as a career decision. They were on sh*t money and they needed to cash in. But now even kids in reserves are on mega bucks and if you are good enough to even be thought of as a future England International the contact you are on is huge. So logically you would think the decision would be made with the heart rather than the pocket. However some of these young lads are so removed from real life I think the agents are brain washing them.

-------------
It's not me it's you:-)

Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Stephen came out a few years ago and said it was a regret not playing more for Ireland and he would like to play again for us . At that stage he was past it 

Didn't Stephen Hunt go on Ryan Tubridy's show and laugh about how he was bullied when he went on national duty?

The lad is clearly eccentric but they could've showed more compassion to someone who was barely out of his teens.

-------------

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 12:08am
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

In the past I can see how lads played internationally as a career decision. They were on sh*t money and they needed to cash in. But now even kids in reserves are on mega bucks and if you are good enough to even be thought of as a future England International the contact you are on is huge. So logically you would think the decision would be made with the heart rather than the pocket. However some of these young lads are so removed from real life I think the agents are brain washing them.
God knows Declan Rice had his head turned. Disapprove

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 12:12am
This thread is f**king depressing LOL

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 1:02am
Should be a strict first meeting to this camp 

Gaffer- 'Anyone who's here for a jolly and to get attention for themselves from other nations can f**k off out that door now'

We should of learnt from the Rice/Grealish sagas and not waste money on guys who aren't committed

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 1:25am
Just a note on Stephen Ireland, he’s been training with same off-season personal trainer as Zak Gilsenan. They have sessions up on YouTube. Might be nothing but it’s notable how involved Stephen Ireland has been with kids like Cathal Heffernan. He likes having an influence 

-------------

Posted By: Scissors Kick
Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 1:42am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Should be a strict first meeting to this camp 

Gaffer- 'Anyone who's here for a jolly and to get attention for themselves from other nations can f**k off out that door now'

We should of learnt from the Rice/Grealish sagas and not waste money on guys who aren't committed

Yeah. Brilliant. 

We know half of you aren't Irish, but we called you up anyway, but f**k off now if you aren't Irish  .....    that's what you think should happen is it  ? 

And its  : should have learnt.

Clown  

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 2:41pm
Mohan has announced a 31 man squad for a home based training camp next week. A lot of UK based players so I’m assuming home based means “going to be in Ireland for the summer”.

Armstrong Okoflex is here but most excited about Kevin Zefi, Ryan O’Kane, and Johnny Kenny. Attacking midfielder Ethan Fitzhugh is a first time call up
I think. Has made a match day squad here and there for Leicester City. Fiona Mooney is another - has played for us and England at underage level.
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/u19-players-named-for-mohans-ireland-training-camp" rel="nofollow - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/u19-players-named-for-mohans-ireland-training-camp

-------------

Posted By: gally
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 2:47pm
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/u19-players-named-for-mohans-ireland-training-camp%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/u19-players-named-for-mohans-ireland-training-camp

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Mohan has announced a 31 man squad for a home based training camp next week. A lot of UK based players so I’m assuming home based means “going to be in Ireland for the summer”.

Armstrong Okoflex is here but most excited about Kevin Zefi, Ryan O’Kane, and Johnny Kenny. Attacking midfielder Ethan Fitzhugh is a first time call up
I think. Has made a match day squad here and there for Leicester City. Fiona Mooney is another - has played for us and England at underage level.
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/u19-players-named-for-mohans-ireland-training-camp" rel="nofollow - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/u19-players-named-for-mohans-ireland-training-camp

Fionn Mooney is a surprise alright given he was fairly set on England a while back.

Few notable absentees, Joshua Ireland, Zak Gilsenan, Evan Ferguson, Sinclair Armstrong, Cian Coleman' Leo Gaxha, Rio McEvoy (gone to NI for training camp also) etc

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Fionn Mooney is a surprise alright given he was fairly set on England a while back.

Few notable absentees, Joshua Ireland, Zak Gilsenan, Evan Ferguson, Sinclair Armstrong, Cian Coleman' Leo Gaxha, Rio McEvoy (gone to NI for training camp also) etc

I think some of those were involved in the training camp
at Loughborough University in May. This is the second part of that big camp to evaluate different player. Not sure about Evan Ferguson though. Can’t remember Mohan mentioning him last time out. Still, this is a strong group up front

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 3:06pm

A few of those lads are only 16/were involved in the British based camp so I wouldn’t read anything into that a while. Gilsenan reading between the lines I’d be confident he will pick us yet. 

Seeing this squad on top of the British based camp it’s exciting particularly the fact a lot of our better talent from 02-05 born groups seem to be attacking talent. 

Fitzhugh is another attacking midfielder for context the more the merrier. 

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 3:31pm
There is some amount of talent and potential in them two training squads that he has picked! Not all will make it but would be hoping to get a few of them through!

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 3:34pm
Some conveyer belt of talent coming through, has to pay off. Going back beforehand we were lucky if we got one real promising player from underage set up a la Robbie Brady now there it is stacked with talent every age group.

Posted By: Bukowski
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 6:34pm

Didn't Stephen Hunt go on Ryan Tubridy's show and laugh about how he was bullied when he went on national duty?

The lad is clearly eccentric but they could've showed more compassion to someone who was barely out of his teens.
[/QUOTE]

I'd be happy to see Stephen Ireland to continue his involvement in football into coaching and the like.
He was a single dad, still a teenager, talented but with the typical level of insecurities of most young people when he was ridiculed publicly by Hunt (and others?) in a way we would not tolerate now if someone did it on social media.
We missed out on him playing for us, and he had a very staccato playing career. Who of us wouldn't want another chance in life?

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 9:47pm

I think some of those were involved in the training camp
at Loughborough University in May. This is the second part of that big camp to evaluate different player. Not sure about Evan Ferguson though. Can’t remember Mohan mentioning him last time out. Still, this is a strong group up front

Who else could Evan Ferguson go to that we are not sure about him? Is he not Irish born and bred?

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 10:03pm
Ferguson is injured. May well have been pushed up to the Under 21s only for that. He qualifies for England also and moved to Brighton after Brexit on his British passport but no real flight risk with him.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 10:16pm
Evan Ferguson isn’t a flight risk. Perhaps they want him in a younger age group or he has a knock. Wouldn’t be worried honestly 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 10:23pm

Evan Ferguson isn’t a flight risk. Perhaps they want him in a younger age group or he has a knock. Wouldn’t be worried honestly 

Yes once he’s homegrown we should be fine. 

Adaramola another good name to see on that list. Very highly rated at Palace and a left back. Stevens and McClean are in their 30s and unless Joel Bagan goes and declare for us like it’s been indicated Manning is the only other real option we have now in his 20s/late teens remotely playing men’s football at a decent level light in that position. A position we need players in going forward.

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 3:50am
Delighted for Johnny Kenny. Ive seen him play a good bit for Sligo Rovers and he is doing really well. Starting games on merit and keeping other good pros out of the team. Scored a huge amount of goals when he just 16 for the u17 and u19s. Arrives to training in his school uniform. 

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 4:00am

Yes once he’s homegrown we should be fine. 

Adaramola another good name to see on that list. Very highly rated at Palace and a left back. Stevens and McClean are in their 30s and unless Joel Bagan goes and declare for us like it’s been indicated Manning is the only other real option we have now in his 20s/late teens remotely playing men’s football at a decent level light in that position. A position we need players in going forward.

Should?

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 10:18am
Surprised Lee Harkin didnt make any of the squads another good forward coming through at Wolves maybe injured ?

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 9:38pm
I see Tom Cannon was named but has been ruled out according to the FAI page, injury?

Posted By: smart man
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 1:53pm
Great to see so many young lads playing in England. To be honest I've only ever heard of Aaron O Reilly and Callum Kavanagh. 
Maybe good idea to play that squad against the home based lads. 

-------------
alive and kicking

Posted By: Frabhoy
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 11:23pm
I seen on twitter that the u19s got beat by a ucd team.

Andrew Moran scored two goals. Does anyone have any idea of who played? Wondering if oxoflex got any minutes. 

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 2:09am
https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/648579/limerick-teenager-called-up-to-rep-of-ireland-u18-squad.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/648579/limerick-teenager-called-up-to-rep-of-ireland-u18-squad.html

Can't find a dedicated thread for the U18s.

Sam Curtis and Justin Ferizaj the standout names called up for a home-based training camp.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 2:07pm
Another training camp.

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/u19-mohan-hosts-u19-training-camp-in-uk" rel="nofollow - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/u19-mohan-hosts-u19-training-camp-in-uk

I think Cristiano Fitzgerald may be my new favourite ever Irish football player name. Even better than Anselmo Garcia McNulty

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 2:40pm
Cristiano Fitzgerald will never live up to that name.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 2:47pm

Another training camp.

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/u19-mohan-hosts-u19-training-camp-in-uk" rel="nofollow - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/u19-mohan-hosts-u19-training-camp-in-uk

I think Cristiano Fitzgerald may be my new favourite ever Irish football player name. Even better than Anselmo Garcia McNulty

Nice to see lawal in the squad, won't be too long before he's in the u21s I would think.

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 2:54pm
Cristiano Fitzgerald was born in Ireland and has French nationality according to this: http://www.playmakerstats.com/player.php?id=630336" rel="nofollow - http://www.playmakerstats.com/player.php?id=630336 .

-------------

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 2:56pm

Cristiano Fitzgerald will never live up to that name.

When you reach season 20 on football manager. 

Posted By: eddiebro
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 3:01pm
People said the same about Ronaldo 

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 3:04pm
Also has 2 younger brothers at Boavista one called Dean, so I fully expect to have a Deano and a Cristiano Fitzgerald up front for us at the 2026 world cup. Great.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 3:40pm

Another training camp.

Nice to see lawal in the squad, won't be too long before he's in the u21s I would think.

Surprised hes not with them now having been with them for the summer friendlies.

Suppose hes better off with the u19s playing than with the u21s and not.

Posted By: pateen
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 8:14pm
Squad announced

Apart from Finn & Emakhu who else has some first team experience?

https://www.the42.ie/la-liga-youngster-included-in-ireland-u19s-squad-5564847-Oct2021/" rel="nofollow - https://www.the42.ie/la-liga-youngster-included-in-ireland-u19s-squad-5564847-Oct2021/

-------------
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Squad announced

https://www.the42.ie/la-liga-youngster-included-in-ireland-u19s-squad-5564847-Oct2021/" rel="nofollow - https://www.the42.ie/la-liga-youngster-included-in-ireland-u19s-squad-5564847-Oct2021/

Abankwah at St. Pats.
Adedokun got games at Dundalk.
Kenny at Sligo Rovers.
Mullins at Bohs.

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 10:46pm

Squad announced

Harry Vaughan has played a good bit of first team football for Oldham and is an interesting selection. Cian Hayes has played in a cup game for Fleetwood. Finn Benoa the only other overseas based player with first team experience I think.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 4:00pm
Did anyone hear how those friendly games against Sweden went?

Didnt see a result anywhere

-------------

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 4:10pm

Did anyone hear how those friendly games against Sweden went?

Didnt see a result anywhere

2 draws I believe 2-2 and 1-1

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:23am
First match of the 2022 Euro qualifiers is next Wednesday (v Montenegro) so should get a squad announcement very shortly.
Seems a bit late as it is so I expect it today or tomorrow.

Andy Moran absent from the 21's suggests he'll be here to strengthen the attacking options.
Zak Gilsenan is out, likely until next season with a bad injury.

Other than that I'd expect a similar squad to what we saw last month for the two draws v Sweden.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:31am
Ben McCormack also got injured in the last window and don't think he'll be back for them. Would assume they were waiting on the U21s squad to be named first and that's why it was named earlier this time. Pretty sure it has been named the day after the senior squad the last couple of times.

Ferguson with the U21s I'd assume we'll see Johnny Kenny start up front. Fair play to Sligo getting him tied to a 3yr contract yesterday. Talented player who would have had interest in the UK.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:34am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Ben McCormack also got injured in the last window and don't think he'll be back for them. Would assume they were waiting on the U21s squad to be named first and that's why it was named earlier this time. Pretty sure it has been named the day after the senior squad the last couple of times.

Ferguson with the U21s I'd assume we'll see Johnny Kenny start up front. Fair play to Sligo getting him tied to a 3yr contract yesterday. Talented player who would have had interest in the UK.

A great bit of business and we need to see more of this, so the LoI clubs get proper payments for players instead of them walking on free-xfers.

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:38am

Didn't see that re Kenny. Interesting. Just turned 18 in the summer and has 9 goals which is great. Signing a deal like is good on a few fronts. If someone really wants him, they will pay. I saw Celtic linked before which screams "punt". Furthermore, another season with Sligo getting games for them and Ireland (is he underage for the 19s for another while) is a great thing for a lad his age. And, finally, it might earn Sligo a few bob in the future which is a fantastic show of loyalty by the Kenny family accounting for the fact that his father played for them for years. 

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:41am

First match of the 2022 Euro qualifiers is next Wednesday (v Montenegro) so should get a squad announcement very shortly.
Seems a bit late as it is so I expect it today or tomorrow.

Andy Moran absent from the 21's suggests he'll be here to strengthen the attacking options.
Zak Gilsenan is out, likely until next season with a bad injury.

Other than that I'd expect a similar squad to what we saw last month for the two draws v Sweden.

I think Crawford already confirmed yesterday that Moran will be dropping down to the 19s

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Didn't see that re Kenny. Interesting. Just turned 18 in the summer and has 9 goals which is great. Signing a deal like is good on a few fronts. If someone really wants him, they will pay. I saw Celtic linked before which screams "punt". Furthermore, another season with Sligo getting games for them and Ireland (is he underage for the 19s for another while) is a great thing for a lad his age. And, finally, it might earn Sligo a few bob in the future which is a fantastic show of loyalty by the Kenny family accounting for the fact that his father played for them for years. 

Fully agree that the Celtic rumour screams punt, especially if compensation would only have needed to been paid. If a young lad is gonna move to Scotland should look towards a smaller club like Ross Tierney whose supposed to be signing with Motherwell. More chance of going straight into the first team.

Unfortunately this is his last year at U19s, and will be in with the U21s next year. You'd imagine Ferguson has that spot nailed down for the next two campaigns after already getting fast tracked into the U21s when he has two years at U19s still.

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 11:24am

He actually has 10 goal in all comps, he was our only player to score in Europe this season.
He is in good form of late too with 3 goals and 1 assist in the last 6 matches. He has scored more goals this season than most of our big named experienced forward players combined. His goals has been dragging us into a Europe spot which is mad for somebody his age.
He is a very hard working, tough and determined player, cap that off with his natural ability, he won't be at Sligo Rovers for long. I think we will be luck to keep him for another season if he keeps going the way he is going.
Unfortunately his U-19 call up means he will be out of our away match with Derry (which is a big third place/european spot decider) he is going to be a massive loss.
I think there has to start being more thought given in the LOI during the International breaks. We are losing Kenny but look at Bohs and UCD, they have 2 players from each club in the current U-21s and they are both in the business end of their league fixtures with out important players.
It is great we are seeing more and more local talent emerging from LOI clubs and being including in the ROI under ages, it is going to be happening a lot more I think. But more planning with the fixtures and international windows, fixture congestion within the LOI needs to be done  from next season on.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 11:41am
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

He actually has 10 goal in all comps, he was our only player to score in Europe this season.
He is in good form of late too with 3 goals and 1 assist in the last 6 matches. He has scored more goals this season than most of our big named experienced forward players combined. His goals has been dragging us into a Europe spot which is mad for somebody his age.
He is a very hard working, tough and determined player, cap that off with his natural ability, he won't be at Sligo Rovers for long. I think we will be luck to keep him for another season if he keeps going the way he is going.
Unfortunately his U-19 call up means he will be out of our away match with Derry (which is a big third place/european spot decider) he is going to be a massive loss.
I think there has to start being more thought given in the LOI during the International breaks. We are losing Kenny but look at Bohs and UCD, they have 2 players from each club in the current U-21s and they are both in the business end of their league fixtures with out important players.
It is great we are seeing more and more local talent emerging from LOI clubs and being including in the ROI under ages, it is going to be happening a lot more I think. But more planning with the fixtures and international windows, fixture congestion within the LOI needs to be done  from next season on.

It's a joke really.
Bohs play Rovers right after the 21's match ends next Friday and U'd think Tierney and Devoy would have started that league match if not with the 21's.
How hard is it to give the clubs a gap-week if they have players involved at International level?

Basic stuff.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 11:48am

Fully agree that the Celtic rumour screams punt, especially if compensation would only have needed to been paid. If a young lad is gonna move to Scotland should look towards a smaller club like Ross Tierney whose supposed to be signing with Motherwell. More chance of going straight into the first team.

Unfortunately this is his last year at U19s, and will be in with the U21s next year. You'd imagine Ferguson has that spot nailed down for the next two campaigns after already getting fast tracked into the U21s when he has two years at U19s still.

You wouldn't know, as we have seen before our best players tend to leave the Under 21 squad ahead of time, not beyond possibility that Ferguson might be with the seniors by the time the next campaign comes around in a couple of years time.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 12:04pm

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

It's a joke really.
Bohs play Rovers right after the 21's match ends next Friday and U'd think Tierney and Devoy would have started that league match if not with the 21's.
How hard is it to give the clubs a gap-week if they have players involved at International level?

Basic stuff.
Devoy Tierney & Lyons all missing the Rovers game. 
This is the last season it’s happening thankfully 

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 2:49pm
So any squad announced?

-------------

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 3:11pm
I see Sean Roughan was back in the Lincoln City first team yesterday, though it seems to have been a second string selection they picked for an easy FA Cup tie. He has been injured for quite some time. Still only 18 and linked with both Chelsea and Southampton in recent times.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 3:11pm

So any squad announced?

Nada and they play on Wednesday!

Posted By: greenshoots
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

I see Sean Roughan was back in the Lincoln City first team yesterday, though it seems to have been a second string selection they picked for an easy FA Cup tie. He has been injured for quite some time. Still only 18 and linked with both Chelsea and Southampton in recent times.

Yeah ok, I was wondering what had happened to this lad. I believe he was injured but has been out of the limelight since early May. Good to see him back again. Another well thought of young lad who hopefully can push on !

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 10:29am
Squad now finally named. Nice promotion for Zefi up to Under 19s. Roughan back in as well. I wouldn't have said it was our strongest bunch in recent years but that's actually a very decent squad.

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mu19-mohan-names-squad-for-euro-qualifiers" rel="nofollow - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mu19-mohan-names-squad-for-euro-qualifiers

No sign of Finn Benoa though. I think he's fit - these are competitive games so maybe he's still non-committal. Cristiano Fitzgerald not there as well, or the lad from Leeds that was highly rated (Coleman?).

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 10:37am

Squad now finally named. Nice promotion for Zefi up to Under 19s. Roughan back in as well. I wouldn't have said it was our strongest bunch in recent years but that's actually a very decent squad.

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mu19-mohan-names-squad-for-euro-qualifiers" rel="nofollow - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mu19-mohan-names-squad-for-euro-qualifiers

No sign of Finn Benoa though. I think he's fit - these are competitive games so maybe he's still non-committal. Cristiano Fitzgerald not there as well, or the lad from Leeds that was highly rated (Coleman?).

Isn't Coleman with the 18s?

Good to see Jack Henry-Francis in there.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 10:44am

Isn't Coleman with the 18s?

Good to see Jack Henry-Francis in there.

He could be, I didn't see a squad announcement for them.

Edit - actually I see Leeds tweeted that he's with the 18s. That's good to see.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 11:00am
Good to see Bosun Lawal down as a midfielder and hopefully that's where we play him long term.

Interesting that Sam Curtis was called up from the U17s. Thought Heffernan might have gotten the nod over him if we were calling up from the U17s. Also wonder if Sean Roughan will be playing CB rather than LB.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 11:05am

With so many U21 eligible players with the senior squad that we can still tell lads like Lawal Mcnulty Moran to drop back down is promising. It's a strong enough squad actually stronger then I thought it would be. Good to see Roughan back too!

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 11:06am

Strong squad and John Finn a strange absense, unless he's with the 18's closer to home in Spain (is he underage for the 18's?).  Imagine Fitzgerald is with the 18's as he's certainly underage.
We'll find out soon enough I spose.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 11:12am

Strong squad and John Finn a strange absense, unless he's with the 18's closer to home in Spain (is he underage for the 18's?).  Imagine Fitzgerald is with the 18's as he's certainly underage.

Both lads are overage and would be strange to have left Finn Benoa with the 18s when Lawal is probably only in midfield because Benoa isn't there.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 11:16am

Both Finn Benoa and Fitzgerald were born in 2003 so should be overage for the under 18s who are the 2004 born group.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net