FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland u19s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 47>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

Yes watched him loads also, live & on tv. He has great energy & is fairly relentless which means he’s always a danger, always on a defenders shoulder. But technically & in terms of composure I think he’s lacking. The latter will improve as he continues to play games & hopefully the former also...
Needs to improve physically imo if he wants to make a decent career for himself
I'd imagine that will happen soon if he keeps playing first team football with Sligo
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

Yes watched him loads also, live & on tv. He has great energy & is fairly relentless which means he’s always a danger, always on a defenders shoulder. But technically & in terms of composure I think he’s lacking. The latter will improve as he continues to play games & hopefully the former also...
Needs to improve physically imo if he wants to make a decent career for himself
Idah Dream!
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 7:51pm
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 7:22pm
Johnny Kenny scored again today against Bulgaria. So in this 3 league tournament Ireland have scored 6 goals in total ... Kenny has scored four of them (in three different games) and has an assist on another goal. I see him playing for Sligo Rovers regularly and sometimes I just keep an eye on him rather than follow the game and the positions he takes up are fantastic, he has the step on defenders and his own players so often, his work rate is brilliant and his movement is relentless. Every level he has played at he has shone, he really is a great wee prospect. 

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 16 Nov 2021 at 7:49pm
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 3:24pm
So what happens now, when is the elite tournament?
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 3:09pm
Ollie O'Niell still u-19
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:47pm

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I forget who it was that said it about us not being good favourites and changing the culture in Irish soccer also includes changing this attitude. 

A Bosnia side we were more then a match for and are equal to can go and run the two teams making up the numbers over yet we struggle to go and put them away. 

Similar to the 21s against Luxembourg. It's why us going and putting Luxembourg to the sword with an attack attack and attack again attitude the other night was so refreshing as it goes against what we have ever done. It's in our DNA to just go okay let's protect this after going 1-0 up against the plucky 4th seed away.

Important to remember though that this isn't our strongest underage group in recent years. It's a decent bunch and there are prospects there, but the squad depth doesn't look too great. The 03s don't look as strong as the 99s (Molumby/O'Shea/Travers), 00s (Connolly/Smallbone/Kilkenny), 01s (Knight/Collins/Idah) or 02s (Bazunu/Omobamidele/Parrott). I don't know how realistic it is to expect us to produce three players as good as that year on year.

Having said all that I don't really get how Moran didn't get the start in this game.

Poor pitch didnt help and Moran had some nice touches, but he also looked a bit lightweight at times, losing or pulling out of nearly every 50 50 challenge. He will have to develop further physically, same goes for Kenny also. Moran was certainly better than the lad he replaced though and he looks to have a bit about him. 

Armstrong held the ball up well, but is very one footed. Mc Jannet (motm for me) and Henry Francis did well in midfield. The 2 full backs Abankwah and Roughan did well also. CBs looked solid enough, GK looked nervy. 

I guess that there are a few lads playing up with the U21s also? Ferguson certainly.

Ferguson and Ollie O'Neill I think.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Now that Roughan is back fit again, it will be interesting to see if he can get back into the first team at Lincoln. He played 50 mins in a recent FA cup tie and was then taken off. I havent been overly impressed with Manning when I've seen him, and didnt think Bagan was great against Italy in the U21's last Friday. So we'd be hoping the likes of Roughan and Adaramola from this U19 setup can progress and give us option in the LB area where we are likely need replacements in the senior setup in a few years.

Scales, if Celtic ever start an Irishman again, Tom O'Connor at Burton and young Furlong at Brighton are others who might provide a solution in that position. I'm not mad keen on what I've seen of Manning either, but I've been impressed enough with Bagan and he is only 19 and getting starts in the Championship, albeit with a poor Cardiff side!
Idah Dream!
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:29pm
Now that Roughan is back fit again, it will be interesting to see if he can get back into the first team at Lincoln. He played 50 mins in a recent FA cup tie and was then taken off. I havent been overly impressed with Manning when I've seen him, and didnt think Bagan was great against Italy in the U21's last Friday. So we'd be hoping the likes of Roughan and Adaramola from this U19 setup can progress and give us option in the LB area where we are likely need replacements in the senior setup in a few years.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I forget who it was that said it about us not being good favourites and changing the culture in Irish soccer also includes changing this attitude. 

A Bosnia side we were more then a match for and are equal to can go and run the two teams making up the numbers over yet we struggle to go and put them away. 

Similar to the 21s against Luxembourg. It's why us going and putting Luxembourg to the sword with an attack attack and attack again attitude the other night was so refreshing as it goes against what we have ever done. It's in our DNA to just go okay let's protect this after going 1-0 up against the plucky 4th seed away.

Important to remember though that this isn't our strongest underage group in recent years. It's a decent bunch and there are prospects there, but the squad depth doesn't look too great. The 03s don't look as strong as the 99s (Molumby/O'Shea/Travers), 00s (Connolly/Smallbone/Kilkenny), 01s (Knight/Collins/Idah) or 02s (Bazunu/Omobamidele/Parrott). I don't know how realistic it is to expect us to produce three players as good as that year on year.

Having said all that I don't really get how Moran didn't get the start in this game.

Poor pitch didnt help and Moran had some nice touches, but he also looked a bit lightweight at times, losing or pulling out of nearly every 50 50 challenge. He will have to develop further physically, same goes for Kenny also. Moran was certainly better than the lad he replaced though and he looks to have a bit about him. 

Armstrong held the ball up well, but is very one footed. Mc Jannet (motm for me) and Henry Francis did well in midfield. The 2 full backs Abankwah and Roughan did well also. CBs looked solid enough, GK looked nervy. 

I guess that there are a few lads playing up with the U21s also? Ferguson certainly.
Idah Dream!
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:23pm
Armstrong has a lot of potential. Showing some great feet and very inventive in his lay off and hold up play and his movement. It makes sense to move Ferguson up to the 21s and blood this lad. A nice line of centre forwards coming in behind Idah who has plenty to do. 

Moran is so good. What a talent.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:22pm

2-0, nice finish from LB Roughan who has played 1st team football at Lincoln. Not sure he's a left back, but he's done ok in this game. Good run and finish. Teed up nicely by Armstrong. That should be that.

Daire Doyle who coached him at underage was talking about him playing as a left sided centre back. Originally played as a left winger at schoolboy so probably made it easier for Lincoln to play him LB when they were stuck that time.
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:22pm
Great stuff lads, onwards and upwards
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:19pm

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:11pm
2-0, nice finish from LB Roughan who has played 1st team football at Lincoln. Not sure he's a left back, but he's done ok in this game. Good run and finish. Teed up nicely by Armstrong. That should be that.
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:11pm

greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:10pm
Bosnia are winning their game 4 nil, so we are now guaranteed to finish 2nd in this group. Puts us through to the next phase.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:08pm
Moran our best player out there by a stretch.

Pitch is woeful, it has to be said.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 47>
  Share Topic