You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

European Super League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 41>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

I don’t believe for a second the esl was ever a runner, this was just a cynical political move by the big multinationals to get more power over uefa , they will now be modifying the cl and making it the top earners closed shop they want.a esl if you like. Don’t believe we’ll ever see another forest, steua, villa, red star type outside bet get near a final let alone win it.
Ajax and Spurs came close in recent years but I take your point. The only way an 'outsider' could win if they are heavily bank rolled, someone like Zenit or Spartak. But as soon as they are successful they become part of the cartel. Anyway the FF rulesvhave been constructed to keep it a closed shop.

Look what happened to Ajax and Monaco who came close recently, their best players were quickly bought up by the big clubs.

The top clubs have a monopoly now.
The only way to enter the top is having billionaires owners (Man City / Chelsea) who have no problem dumping 1bn into the club for success. 

Pretty much how the Bundesliga works isn't it. 19 teams that are a feeder to Bayern
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 12:22pm
Gaffer and Baldie you are going around in circles really as i really think it's up to the person where and how he or she wants to spend their money . And If wheelo wants to leave it all behind that's fine also .

I myself will always have a passion for my clubs just love if they won something LOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Gaffer and Baldie you are going around in circles really as i really think it's up to the person where and how he or she wants to spend their money . And If wheelo wants to leave it all behind that's fine also .

I myself will always have a passion for my clubs just love if they won something LOL

Murph I don’t give a sh*t where he spends his money that’s his business.   It’s the hypocrisy of lads like him giving out about the ESL when it’s on the back of supporters from around the world neglecting the clubs in their country and supporting these super powers run by billionaires that the ESL has come about.  

If fans supported the club closest to them this would not come about.  It comes about because billionaires know they can make money from consumers around the world who abandon the clubs closest to them.  There is a huge hypocrisy in everything Gaffer says and he has no understanding of nuance.  PM called him out on this also. 

You are from Burnley and you live in Galway so you support Burnley and Galway Utd.  I think that makes sense and it is a sustainable model for fans to follow. 

Edited by Baldrick - 22 Apr 2021 at 1:03pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Originally posted by Im The Gaffer Im The Gaffer wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

The idea that your favorite multi national company in the northwest of England give two sh*ts about some lad in Ireland calling them We is laughable.  They don’t care about you.  Irish fans of premier league clubs are like WB Yeats to their Maud Gonne.  Get over it they are just not that into you.  Think there is a book you can buy with that title that may help.  Then again I am sure you can’t wait for the pubs to open to go down and sl*g your Manc/Scouse mates who are actually from Ballyboden and Springfield.  
You certainly aren't anything like W.B. Yeats, that's for sure, my cat comes up with better arguments than that. And all from somebody who is complaining about people being more interested in Liverpool, Manchester United and Celtic than in League of Ireland teams. Get over it, we're just not that into you and your league.
Think I read somewhere that he supports Spurs and he's going on about Irish Manc and Scouse fans watching games in pubs and multinational companies I.e. English football clubs when he himself supports one. LOL

I see you haven’t piped up since.  Maybe do your research in future if you are going to have a pop 😀

Edited by Baldrick - 22 Apr 2021 at 1:30pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 1:16pm

i really think it's up to the person where and how he or she wants to spend their money

100 per cent it is.

However, by financially supporting these clubs, you are lining the owners pockets who are in it to make money.

So no point in giving them your money on the one hand, then giving out about the price of your season ticket, matches been switched to silly times and days for tv, etc.

No point giving your money to the club, whose sole purpose for the owners is to make money for themselves - and be surprised that they look at other ways to make more money. By financially supporting these clubs, you’re encouraging it.

Any premier league club would’ve jumped at chance to join the super league if invited, all the same.

I have little sympathy for Man Utd supporters especially. Protests gained great momentum in 2004/2005. Singing not one penny, etc. But then all renewed STs in August. A few thousand didn’t , stuck to their word about not giving the glazers their money, and are having a great time getting their united kicks at fc, and some also at man Utd away matches!

United supporters calling for the glazers to go now? Tongue. 16 years too late, but they’ll still give the glazers their money come August and nothing will change.
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 1:38pm

The idea that your favorite multi national company in the northwest of England give two sh*ts about some lad in Ireland calling them We is laughable.  They don’t care about you.

"I'm confused here, Ted."

I thought the argument was that these rapacious owners don't care about "legacy" fans who live locally and want to watch the team their Dad and Grandad first took them to as a small boy, whether it be OT, Anfield or WHL etc.

Instead they're only interested in "customers" who "support" their team by satellite in their freshly bought replica jersey, maybe from the bar stool of their local pub?

Can that pub not be in Dublin or Cork? Can the customer not be Irish? Or does it have to be in Shanghai, Sydney, San Francisco or somewhere equally exotic?

Irish fans of premier league clubs are like WB Yeats to their Maud Gonne.  Get over it they are just not that into you.  Think there is a book you can buy with that title that may help.  
Ah now, leave poor Willie out of it, he was a Brentford fan. Came from having spent much of his formative years and education in West London (wrote 'Inishfree' in a big house in W4). Couldn't stand Fulham - full of tourists getting the train in from Surrey.

As for that Hampshire lassie Gonne, she was always more into the rugger, preferred the muscular type to the thinker.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

The sheep fell for a well run campaign by billionaire tv companies against billionaire club owners. Simple as that 

"Ah, Mr Conspiracy Theorist, have you met my good friend Football? I think you'll get on splendidly"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 1:44pm

So you should support your local team, but if your local team is Liverpool, Manchester United or Arsenal, you shouldn't support them. Got it.
"I blame the feckin' Greeks myself"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

(Was the ESL a smokescreen created by UEFA and the big clubs in cahoots?)

Woodward and Agnelli are ‘snakes’ and ‘liars’ — UEFA president Ceferin

"This goes deep, I tell you, very deep. Deeper than you or I can ever imagine. Someone has to blow that shill Ceferin's cover before 'they' take over."

Meanwhile in an alternative universe...
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

I don’t believe for a second the esl was ever a runner, this was just a cynical political move by the big multinationals to get more power over uefa
Yeah, cos let's face it, if there's one thing megalomaniac billionaires like more than money, it's getting humiliated worldwide by being forced to make a grovelling apology for a total clusterf**k of a plan which blew up in their face.

Yeah, that'll be it.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 2:33pm

They will regroup and be ready for the next battle but they are winning the way. 
No one seriously believes that these guys will repent or sell-up and walk away etc.

But they/their intentions are no longer the only power.

Two things have emerged from this: 1. Their greed and selfishness has been exposed to all; and 2. Their headlong rush towards a SL of their own design need not be unstoppable.

That is, the rest of football has seen that if they work together, they can wield considerable power too.

Until the ownership model in England changes things will only get worse.
There is no doubt that there are many structural weaknesses in the English model which need reform.

But those people who are blithely looking eg to the Bundesliga's widely praised 51% ownership model, might consider this.

Bayern are about to clinch their 9th consecutive title, while the PL has had 5 different winners in the last 10 seasons, with only one club retaining the title, and then only once.

What got this stopped was the counter bid from UEFA simple as that. 
"Simple" or simplistic?

There were a whole number of factors which caused the plan to fail, of which UEFA's counterplan was only one element.

I mean, it's not as if all the opponents of the SL were also proponents of the UEFA plan, were they?

Im The Gaffer View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Im The Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 4:00pm

you did say earlier that of course you were going to support a league where the majority of the Irish internationals play.   So I
am guessing you will be supporting Sheff Utd in the Championship next season.  The premier league certainly doesn’t have many of our team in it anymore.  LOL Maybe Preston or Portsmouth might do either. 
So your argument is that people should shop around and switch allegiance to football teams like a "rational consumer". Deary me. The ultra-capitalist ethos in a nutshell.

No I am saying your reasons for why you support Liverpool do not hold up as you said how could you support a team or a league where Irish internationals don’t play.  Extending that logic out, Liverpool haven’t had many Irish players of late.  Ireland is irrelevant to Liverpool Football Club. 
Are all your posts satire?
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Im The Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I thought the argument was that these rapacious owners don't care about "legacy" fans who live locally and want to watch the team their Dad and Grandad first took them to as a small boy, whether it be OT, Anfield or WHL etc.

Instead they're only interested in "customers" who "support" their team by satellite in their freshly bought replica jersey, maybe from the bar stool of their local pub?

Can that pub not be in Dublin or Cork? Can the customer not be Irish? Or does it have to be in Shanghai, Sydney, San Francisco or somewhere equally exotic?

What this has shown is that it's the local supporters who hold the most power, but they have to act collectively. They contribute the most economically to a club, and without them, the club effectively ceases to function. If local fans object to the owners and withdraw support from the club, the owners are going to have a bloody hard time hanging onto the club. Those Chelsea supporters were all locals. 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 5:54pm

you did say earlier that of course you were going to support a league where the majority of the Irish internationals play.   So I
am guessing you will be supporting Sheff Utd in the Championship next season.  The premier league certainly doesn’t have many of our team in it anymore.  LOL Maybe Preston or Portsmouth might do either. 
So your argument is that people should shop around and switch allegiance to football teams like a "rational consumer". Deary me. The ultra-capitalist ethos in a nutshell.

No I am saying your reasons for why you support Liverpool do not hold up as you said how could you support a team or a league where Irish internationals don’t play.  Extending that logic out, Liverpool haven’t had many Irish players of late.  Ireland is irrelevant to Liverpool Football Club. 

If you believe I am using humour irony and ridicule to expose your  stupidity I am guilty as charged your honour. 

Edited by Baldrick - 22 Apr 2021 at 8:04pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

i really think it's up to the person where and how he or she wants to spend their money

100 per cent it is.

However, by financially supporting these clubs, you are lining the owners pockets who are in it to make money.

So no point in giving them your money on the one hand, then giving out about the price of your season ticket, matches been switched to silly times and days for tv, etc.

No point giving your money to the club, whose sole purpose for the owners is to make money for themselves - and be surprised that they look at other ways to make more money. By financially supporting these clubs, you’re encouraging it.

Any premier league club would’ve jumped at chance to join the super league if invited, all the same.

I have little sympathy for Man Utd supporters especially. Protests gained great momentum in 2004/2005. Singing not one penny, etc. But then all renewed STs in August. A few thousand didn’t , stuck to their word about not giving the glazers their money, and are having a great time getting their united kicks at fc, and some also at man Utd away matches!

United supporters calling for the glazers to go now? Tongue. 16 years too late, but they’ll still give the glazers their money come August and nothing will change.
Wheelo i really get the United of Manchester just love the underdogs anyway but it's really hard for the long in the tooth fan say who has been a Newcastle fan for 50 years , now you have seen good and bad times and still surport the team still buy a season ticket .
Then things start to change Ashley takes over you don't like the look of him and a few years down the line you were right as he is nothing but a cheap crook .
What do you do not go anymore because you will be giving your money to him sort of or now take up as a Gateshead fan ? 
It's the club that has you hooked not those who run it and one thing is for sure you will out live those in power and you will still be a Newcastle fan .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Im The Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 7:58pm

If you believe I am using humour irony and ridicule to expose your  stupidity I guilty as charged your honour. 
There's only one person's stupidity you're exposing, and it sure isn't mine.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 8:02pm
Gundogan speaking out against the new CL format saying it’s the lesser of two evils with the super league 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 8:05pm

If you believe I am using humour irony and ridicule to expose your  stupidity I guilty as charged your honour. 
There's only one person's stupidity you're exposing, and it sure isn't mine.

This coming from a man who tried to defend his support for a foreign company because they had more Irish internationals than actual Irish teams 😀😀😀😀😀😀 

Edited by Baldrick - 22 Apr 2021 at 8:05pm
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 41>
  Share Topic