Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57787
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 7:17am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: European Super League
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: European Super League
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 4:28pm
Rumours that a new European Super League is set to be announced tonight with 6 English clubs joining.  Load of sh*te.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: eboue16
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 4:30pm
Fans backlash and common sense will hopefully prevail.

-------------
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 4:36pm

Robbed from Twitter

Sad to see the Premier League, which was formed to satisfy the greed of a cartel led by Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs, is under threat from the European Super League, formed to satisfy the greed of a cartel led by Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs

https://mobile.twitter.com/YeSecondPost/status/1383803514900471808" rel="nofollow - https://mobile.twitter.com/YeSecondPost/status/1383803514900471808

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 4:40pm
I doubt it as they have UEFA where they want them, I  hope I'm wrong as I think  it would be for the best now.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 4:49pm
Normal working class people don't follow these clubs anymore. They are for tourists and dopes that like salads at half time. The lower leagues are the place to be.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 4:50pm
Sky will be sh*tting themselves.  The Premier League is their golden child and having the big 6 leave will spell the end of that.

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 4:52pm
Football as a community sport in England has for a while now been confined to L1 L2 and NL. Thankfully we have the LOI here, much derided as it is. Its affordable, enjoyable and a lot of teams have a chance of glory at some stage. I think there have been at least 8 different league winners in the last 20 years.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Normal working class people don't follow these clubs anymore. They are for tourists and dopes that like salads at half time. The lower leagues are the place to be.

Correct.  The Premier League is a global league with global players and global managers and owners. Certainly not English Football.

The Championship is ok.

-------------

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 4:55pm

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

The irony of that

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:00pm
I imagine that it will not go ahead and UEFA will appease them somehow.  Sport has been ruined by money.  FIFA and UEFA can hardly take the high moral ground either.  Giving world cup bids to those with the biggest bribe.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:04pm
I expect they will end up getting automatic qualifying for the CL for those with most power and money and that will appease them until they think of something else they want.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:12pm
The golden era for most sports was probably in the 1980s-early 1990s.  TV coverage was probably at the right amount on terrestrial tv, money hadn't taken hold and sportspeople were one of the people generally with a modest amount of money, professionalism hadn't kicked in whereby you still had characters in every sport who drank or smoked or were natural in front of cameras not like now with sport psychologists drilling out any sort of emotion that might portray competitive weakness or humility.

We have robots playing sport now for obscene money who are so far removed from the people who watch them it is scary.

-------------

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:12pm
Absolute joke of a competition hope it never happens. Football isn't perfect in its current form but at least the top competitions are open to anyone that can reach the standard needed to qualify 

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Posted By: TigerRoll
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:13pm
It’s a great idea. Hopefully goes ahead, from a fans perspective being able to travel across Europe for weekends in Europe to watch the best in Europe. 

It’s already been financed by JP Morgan. Curious to see further details on how it would work and in what format.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:16pm
Like most of top level franchise football it would be for consumers, not fans.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The golden era for most sports was probably in the 1980s-early 1990s.  TV coverage was probably at the right amount on terrestrial tv, money hadn't taken hold and sportspeople were one of the people generally with a modest amount of money, professionalism hadn't kicked in whereby you still had characters in every sport who drank or smoked or were natural in front of cameras not like now with sport psychologists drilling out any sort of emotion that might portray competitive weakness or humility.

We have robots playing sport now for obscene money who are so far removed from the people who watch them it is scary.
Seen a photo today of a cyclist smoking during the Tour De France.....not sure it was performance enhancing 

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by TigerRoll TigerRoll wrote:

It’s a great idea. Hopefully goes ahead, from a fans perspective being able to travel across Europe for weekends in Europe to watch the best in Europe. 

It’s already been financed by JP Morgan. Curious to see further details on how it would work and in what format.

Wise up Byrne
It’s an awful idea and would end football 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Aren’t all fans costumers in some capacity? Buying sky/BT to watch games, tickets, training gear/jerseys etc etc We’re very much both. What would fans want? To watch Man Utd v the best weekly or v WBA/Fulham. 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:26pm
It is absolutely hilarious seeing clips from Sky Sports giving out about greed in football! I really hope this is true, the court cases and fallout from all these money-grabbing bastards will be far, far more entertaining than any Super Sunday!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:29pm

Aren’t all fans costumers in some capacity? Buying sky/BT to watch games, tickets, training gear/jerseys etc etc We’re very much both. What would fans want? To watch Man Utd v the best weekly or v WBA/Fulham. 
I would argue that there aren't too many Fans at any of the big franchises, hence why they are franchises. Anyone giving money to Sky or BT are also part of the problem.
We can agree on the fact we both want it to happen, Tops! You for rampant libertarian globalisation and me for the hilarity that will ensue.

-------------

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:31pm

Not all fans subsist on a diet of Champions League fixtures as a neutral.

I’d rather just keep football as it is tbh, it isn’t perfect but is better than watching 10 or 12 teams from across Europe, some of whom wont finish in their top 6 this season, play each other all season 

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Wise up Byrne
It’s an awful idea and would end football 
It was already destroyed, people are just clinging on to an illusion. This will put it out of its memory.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:32pm
UEFA is meeting tomorrow to discuss revamping the CL, so this story sounds like a scare tactic from these clubs 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:34pm

UEFA is meeting tomorrow to discuss revamping the CL, so this story sounds like a scare tactic from these clubs 
It's the same old thing on repeat. They push a Super League breakaway and UEFA then bend over backwards to keep them and we get a Champions League that is even more in thrall to the main clubs and franchises and repeat, until the CL is officially a European Super League in all but name. It more or less is now.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:35pm
A European super league has been talked about every couple of years for the last 15-20 years 
Can’t see this one happening either 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:35pm
PM has it correct. 

And I cant help but feel that the motivations of individual clubs are pretty transparent. I suspect this "Six" that is being mentioned will curiously not include Leicester City.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:36pm

It's the same old thing on repeat. They push a Super League breakaway and UEFA then bend over backwards to keep them and we get a Champions League that is even more in thrall to the main clubs and franchises and repeat, until the CL is officially a European Super League in all but name. It more or less is now.

Well when teams who don’t finish in their top 4 start qualifying for it then I’d agree 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:39pm

Well when teams who don’t finish in their top 4 start qualifying for it then I’d agree 

And that is the inevitable next step. There has already been murmurings of 'heritage teams' and the like. I wouldn't be surprised if the outcome of this will be the 12 or 14 richest teams, the only ones that can win the bloody thing in most cases, will qualify automatically and even less entries from teams outside the so-called big 5 leagues.

-------------

Its staring Arsenal, Spurs and (to an extent) Liverpool in the face right now. There is almost something comical about Arsenal who have been in decline for over 15 years, and Spurs who have won one cup of substance in the past 20 years being involved.

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

PM has it correct. 

And I cant help but feel that the motivations of individual clubs are pretty transparent. I suspect this "Six" that is being mentioned will curiously not include Leicester City.
Utd, City, LFC, Arsenal, Spurs and probably Chelsea. 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:40pm
They should be meeting tomorrow to reduce the size of the competition not increase it 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:41pm

I would argue that there aren't too many Fans at any of the big franchises, hence why they are franchises. Anyone giving money to Sky or BT are also part of the problem.
We can agree on the fact we both want it to happen, Tops! You for rampant libertarian globalisation and me for the hilarity that will ensue.

Why aren’t they fans? I am curious. What makes an individual a fan or customer. Someone living in Stretford who goes to Old Trafford weekly, buys a shirt and has sky isn’t a fan as he takes part in these activities. 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:42pm

A lot are clowns alright

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:43pm

They should be meeting tomorrow to reduce the size of the competition not increase it 
There will, I suspect, also be pressure from the bigger franchises in the EPL to cut the league to allow for more CL match days. I expect similar pressure to be applied to international football, but FIFA will be a tougher nut to crack on that.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:47pm

Why aren’t they fans? I am curious. What makes an individual a fan or customer. Someone living in Stretford who goes to Old Trafford weekly, buys a shirt and has sky isn’t a fan as he takes part in these activities. 
He is also a f**king rarity. What percentage of Manchester United season tickets are anywhere near Manchester? 
Manchester United don't want fans and don't care about them. Every fan from Stretford is replaceable by a customer who is worth more to them financially, even if they never go to Old Trafford. This pandemic has emboldened franchises because it has shown they don't need ticket sales at all. It is bonus money, a few bob on the side.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:53pm
Football in England was shown up for what it is when a small club like West Ham sold their fans out for tourists. 

I could never see the Italian ultras allowing this to happen. They have the power to bankrupt clubs.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 6:15pm

This

Will English clubs get another champions league spot? Ideally they want 6 places. 

With 3 European competitions they will be pushing the lower leagues out of the most lucrative competition.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

This

Will English clubs get another champions league spot? Ideally they want 6 places. 

With 3 European competitions they will be pushing the lower leagues out of the most lucrative competition.

What does it matter f they get 6 spots?  Arsenal won't be in the top 6 regardless.  Maybe Spurs could potentially miss out also?

Basically what it is is these ''big 6'' want a god given right to earn mega bucks by signing up to a cartel that they are guaranteed to be part of.  Arsenal wont make the Champions Laague and these clubs dont want to have any risk involved in missing out.

Its an absolute joke.  Football has been dying and this is going to be the penultimate nail in the coffin.  The final nail will be the mickey mouse world cup they are pushign ahead with.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Its staring Arsenal, Spurs and (to an extent) Liverpool in the face right now. There is almost something comical about Arsenal who have been in decline for over 15 years, and Spurs who have won one cup of substance in the past 20 years being involved.

Man U need this the most IMO. 
They have one of the highest wage bills in word football but have only finished top 4 50% of the time post fergie. 

They need the regular champions league money every season. 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

This

I think the debate will be heritage teams automatically in and then those countries with such teams, which I predict will be the richest leagues with a sop or two to Ajax and Porto and then a number of places still being awarded for league places to the 'big 5'. 
Juventus being in  a precarious position will be a factor in this debate.

The biggest surprise is Qatar  being against it. I wonder what their reason is. Bayern maybe altruistic, but I can't see PSG being so.

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 6:33pm
Greed simple as that , we now enter the Kerry Packer kind of sport again . 

If they go don't let them back  in simple .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 6:34pm
Spurs a European powerhouse? is it April 1st ...

and Arsenal just as laughable

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 6:41pm
Let them at it. Top level football lost its soul years ago.

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:01pm
my only concern is it’s impact on Irish football.  

It’s also laughable that Spurs consider themselves as part of the elite when they haven’t won a proper trophy since 1991 and a league since 1961. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Based on geographical location and turnover they are. That's all that matters.
It's hard not to like Neville and his rant has gone viral, but he is happy to take money from Sky, who have stole English football's soul, while simultaneously helping to pump money into a hobby club that themselves would fall foul of any proper regulation in English football.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

It’s also laughable that Spurs consider themselves as part of the elite when they haven’t won a proper trophy since 1991 and a league since 1961. 

How do you see it impacting Irish football Balders? 

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

How do you see it impacting Irish football Balders? 

I haven’t a f**kin clue LOL but my instinct is it probably wouldn’t be good but I am not basing that on anything concrete. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:13pm

Shhhh

They have won more European competitions than the Oil tycoons PSG and Man City and they MUST be included.

The metric is purely based on annual revenues. 

Forest won’t be getting an invite. 

-------------

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:41pm
Celtic, Rangers (even the zombie incarnation) and Ajax are all much bigger clubs than Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea. It's not even a Super League with the biggest clubs in Europe they want, just the richest owners.

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:44pm
This is OUR league. They can’t take it away from us!

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:46pm
Galway Utd have said they will have no part of this.

Taking a stand.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:50pm
Inaugural European Super League Winners: Bayern Munich
Runners Up: PSG

-------------
Roy Keane

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:53pm

Correct.  The Premier League is a global league with global players and global managers and owners. Certainly not English Football.

The Championship is ok.
The Championship is f**ked as well. It is only a matter of time before you end up with about 16 or so teams who swap between the two divisions. The unpredictable nature of the division has been coming more and more untrue as time passes. Many of the owners are as dodgy and worrisome as the league above, most clubs are run at massive debt chasing the dream of getting to the promise land. About half the league are owned by owners with no interest, love or connection to the places the teams are based and that is only going to get worse, unless this ESL actually were to take off and that would lead to a return to a more natural level of competition in the English leagues.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Celtic, Rangers (even the zombie incarnation) and Ajax are all much bigger clubs than Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea. It's not even a Super League with the biggest clubs in Europe they want, just the richest owners.

And have all been in talks over the years and probably would leave their own domestic leagues if a more lucrative alternative was possible

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:56pm

Irish fans complaining about the potential damage done to the English league by this proposal Big smile

The Super League is aimed at barstoolers, you should be delighted. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Irish fans complaining about the potential damage done to the English league by this proposal Big smile

The Super League is aimed at barstoolers, you should be delighted. 

Do find it funny people giving out about it who wouldn't step foot in their local ground.

Game at the top level is long gone, hopefully more people realise that and do start coming to the league on their doorstep. 

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:05pm
 Once Americans get involved in sport its like injecting cancer cells into your bloodstream

They destroy everything they touch.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:07pm

The Premier League bosses were too busy stuffing cash into their pockets to care about who they were letting run their big clubs/ products. Now it turns out that the oligarchs/ hedge funds/ petro states don’t have the best interests of English football at heart Shocked

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:12pm

It's hard not to like Neville and his rant has gone viral, but he is happy to take money from Sky, who have stole English football's soul, while simultaneously helping to pump money into a hobby club that themselves would fall foul of any proper regulation in English football.

I think it's hard to like the cxxt tbh. 

Every football fan agrees with his point on the super league but he has to give a hollywood performance in comparison to Keane who summed it up in a few words (i.e. the greed) and left it at that. It was a safe subject to have a rant about when you know you'll have overwhelming support. 
I think Keane was cringing in his seat while Gary's you tube clip  was playing out in real time. 

He's an absolute cuck when he's appearing with Keane whether it was their appearance on off the ball a couple of years back or during United games on sky. He's too conciliatory when Keane was rubbishing Ferguson or if Keane is challenging his opinion when they're on the sky panel. He clearly disagrees with Keane at times but he just goes back into his shell. 

I find him an absolute bore of a pundit but one thing I will say for Jamie Redknapp, he might have a bit of bias towards Spurs (and Keane's overall point is correct about them) but at least he takes Keane on a bit more when he disagrees with him.   

Anyway back on topic. Boooouuuuurrnnns to the Super League proposal.  

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:22pm
I don't watch Sky apart from dodgy streaming Celtic games, so have know idea about what he is like and with who, but I read his autobiography and it was surprisingly enjoyable and he comes across on Twitter as someone who has some semblance of a moral perspective, even if he undermines it by being a property developer type pumping money into a hobby club and having that rant on Sky Sports is tinged with irony as they are the f**king problem!
I'm not overly bothered what he says on there though. Punditry died in football years ago anyway!

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Every football fan agrees with his point on the super league but he has to give a hollywood performance in comparison to Keane who summed it up in a few words (i.e. the greed) and left it at that. It was a safe subject to have a rant about when you know you'll have overwhelming support. 
I think Keane was cringing in his seat while Gary's you tube clip  was playing out in real time. 

He's an absolute cuck when he's appearing with Keane whether it was their appearance on off the ball a couple of years back or during United games on sky. He's too conciliatory when Keane was rubbishing Ferguson or if Keane is challenging his opinion when they're on the sky panel. He clearly disagrees with Keane at times but he just goes back into his shell. 

I find him an absolute bore of a pundit but one thing I will say for Jamie Redknapp, he might have a bit of bias towards Spurs (and Keane's overall point is correct about them) but at least he takes Keane on a bit more when he disagrees with him.   

What a weird take.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:27pm

You on the sauce? Are we actually complementing Jamie Redknapp on his punditry, is this where this forum has gone to!? 

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

You on the sauce? Are we actually complementing Jamie Redknapp on his punditry, is this where this forum has gone to!? 

Did you actually read my post? 

I called him a bore of a pundit.

At least he seems to stand up for himself a bit when he disagrees with Keane unlike Neville. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Nax
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:44pm
I hate this  but this is the future of sport . Boxing promoters sat on their hands and destroyed the sport for their own personal gain only to be overtaken by celebrity fights. UEFA have done something similar. The Champions League and Top tier football have been ruined by financial doping and the favoring of the clubs with money. The average consumer is changing too kids with short attention spans want to watch Man United against Barcelona they don't want to see United and Burnley. They haven't the patience to stick with a team or support them through thick and thin. I do enjoy the irony of pundits on SKY Sports being against it when SKY have contributed to this and did something similar with the rebranding of the Premier League.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:56pm
I dont see it happening.  Its just a power play, happens every now and again when the big teams want more money. 

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:14pm
The "leak" came out the day before UEFA are due to announce the revamp - clearly a scare tactic.

And the way that it was a "leak" rather than a press release, makes me think teams will distance themselves from it eventually.

That said, it's the route it'll go eventually, these americans that bought these clubs are used to no relegation with their US teams and want the same setup.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:18pm
Call their bluff, let them f**k off. Nobody is interested in this sh*te. UEFA shouldn’t make any changes to the Champions League either.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:19pm

Sky will be sh*tting themselves.  The Premier League is their golden child and having the big 6 leave will spell the end of that.

This explains why they're happy to have their pundits slate this idea.

Do the breakaway clubs want it sanctioned under UEFA or run by their owners? 

Posted By: Im The Gaffer
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:25pm

Yes they do.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

The "leak" came out the day before UEFA are due to announce the revamp - clearly a scare tactic.

And the way that it was a "leak" rather than a press release, makes me think teams will distance themselves from it eventually.

That said, it's the route it'll go eventually, these americans that bought these clubs are used to no relegation with their US teams and want the same setup.

What does strike me is that there is at least some degree of coordination about it. I have yet to read a single team whose name has been mentioned do a cut and run, and flatly deny that there is any substance in this. If at 9:30 there is some sort of unified response, I feel that will suggest that clubs are undoubtedly discussing this, and that while it may be used as leverage now, it may become a reality down the line if finances deteriorate, or competition jeopardises the cartel that has sprung up in European football. also, if UEFA factor it in, in finalising the new CL plans, this will embolden these teams to try this again in the future.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 10:00pm
The big clubs are trying to kill the lower leagues too with having their B teams.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 10:06pm
Supposed to have been a statement out at 9.30pm by the clubs involved.  Hasn't happened. 

-------------

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 10:16pm

Supposed to have been a statement out at 9.30pm by the clubs involved.  Hasn't happened. 

They've definitely seen the backlash in the media and online and reconsidered (if they were ever serious about doing this at all)

UEFA will inevitably fold to many of their demands off the back of this

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 10:18pm

They're watching Line of Duty, its a cracker tonight

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 10:29pm

They've definitely seen the backlash in the media and online and reconsidered (if they were ever serious about doing this at all)

Absolute bottle merchants

-------------

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 10:48pm

Absolute bottle merchants
😂😂heard neville bang that out. I was quite surprised when I stuck it into Google! Hope that’s not what he meant!

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:26pm
Confirmed the top 6 and 12 others. A new era in football, it should be embraced and let’s see how it goes. 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:29pm
Absolutely scandalous if it goes ahead 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:30pm
I’m done with football at the elite level. f**k the lot of them.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:37pm
Good f**king riddance. The local football people in Manchester and Liverpool in particular surely won't back this. Start from scratch. There's already a version in Manchester. Disband the premier league. Reinstate the Championship and the football league trophy as the main goal Clap

Football is such a joke at this level. Every club mentioned is in serious financial bother. By no means can they be classed as the most elite in Europe. Some, yes. All, no. It's honestly going to be the most boring competition LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I’m done with football at the elite level. f**k the lot of them.

this is going to be the overriding sentiment I imagine

-------------
Roy Keane

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:40pm
Hopefully uefa bans the lot of them. 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:41pm
f**k the lot of them have more money than any person could ever need yet they want more. I can't remember the last time I seen Joe glazer talk about man united yet the **** sits on the board of this as vice chairman and talking about improving world class facilities whilst the stadium he owns has been in need of repairs for years Angry

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

The money bags league where no poor teams are allowed enter.  What a snobby sh*t load of crap.

Maybe it will be a euthenasia of all the superclubs and bring football back to the people to some degree

-------------

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Hopefully uefa bans the lot of them. 

UEFA needs the top 15 teams in Europe. Or they’ll have a hard time selling their TV licensing at the same price they currently get. 

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:42pm
Can understand german clubs turning this down but why psg?

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:42pm
They've actually created a European cup that they can never fail to qualify for. What a farce LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Probably weren’t invited or could be a UAE (Man City) Qatar dispute.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

They've actually created a European cup that they can never fail to qualify for. What a farce LOL

Everyone's a winner!  No relegation.

f**k them all out of domestic football and it will actually be more enjoyable to watch where its a much more level playing field.  Anyone could win it like the old days.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:46pm

They haven’t turned it down, yet. They’ve probably sat on the fence for another few weeks, before ultimately joining. 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Probably weren’t invited or could be a UAE (Man City) Qatar dispute.

It's based on revenue though?

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:47pm
If you play in this super league you could be banned from playing for your country

Ireland are the big winners therefore
We lose Matt Doherty just 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:47pm

Their chief executive is on the uefa board so would explain why they not part of it YET

-------------

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:48pm

Not the right time for them to rock the boat with the world cup in Qatar next year, they're probably worried it would be taken off them.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:48pm

They haven’t turned it down, yet. They’ve probably sat on the fence for another few weeks, before ultimately joining. 

No, no, they have. I fly the PSG team jet for away games and have heard this from the big wigs. 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:49pm

If you play in this super league you could be banned from playing for your country

‘Could be’ that’s not going to happen. FIFA would lose a few billion in sponsors. There’s a lot more to this behind the scenes than football. There’s billions in advertising to name just one aspect. No one wants to lose out. And the 15 largest clubs in Europe have a huge say.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:49pm

He wont be around at Spurs to be bannedLOL

-------------

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:50pm

Once Tottenham get their share of the 3.5 billion or whatever I don't think we'll need to worry too much about losing Doherty to this super league.

Probably just as well that Troy Parrott turned out to be sh*te in the end.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net