Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Bazunu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 107>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 12:22pm
We're in no different a position now than what any sensible person would have realised we were in a year or two ago - we have two young keepers with very little between them.

The constant belittling of Kelleher for committing the crime of learning his trade behind the best goalkeeper in the world at one of the best clubs in the world was always just stupid, and he proved it thus by catching the eye in pretty much every game he was given the opportunity.

Bazunu took a different route and he has been both over-praised and over-criticised in equal measure. When he was going well in L1 some of the praise was just going miles overboard, and now that he's having a tougher spell in the EPL (in a terrible team) the scrutiny over every little thing he does is verging on lunacy.

They're both massively talented and already very good, you could flip a coin between who should be first choice. Neither is obviously clear of the other.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 12:39pm
Gav going through a difficult time at the moment, believe he is mentally strong enough to come through it and have a good career. Whether he is EPL quality is another matter. Despite Bazunu and Travers connections to Rovers I have for a while now think CK is the best of the 3 and should be our No. 1.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 12:39pm
19 senior games isn’t a body of work consistent with providing a definitive measure of one’s quality at the age of 24.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

19 senior games isn’t a body of work consistent with providing a definitive measure of one’s quality at the age of 24.

If you'd never watched Lionel Messi before, and you only got to watch the 7 games he played at the world cup, would you need more evidence to conclude that he was an outstanding footballer?

Kelleher has played 19 games for Liverpool's first team, 9 games for Ireland seniors, and 10 games for the Under-21's - and he has impressed in most of them. If you still can't tell whether he's a good goalkeeper or not, it's only because you are a bad judge of player.
We're decent enough..
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

If you'd never watched Lionel Messi before, and you only got to watch the 7 games he played at the world cup, would you need more evidence to conclude that he was an outstanding footballer?

Kelleher has played 19 games for Liverpool's first team, 9 games for Ireland seniors, and 10 games for the Under-21's - and he has impressed in most of them. If you still can't tell whether he's a good goalkeeper or not, it's only because you are a bad judge of player.

Ya but put him in that Southampton side and see how he gets on. Bitnof a difference playing behind a Liverpool defence on a handful of occasions.
I love beer gardens
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 1:23pm
I've called it from the start that Bazunu has mistakes in him that need to be ironed out 
He has dropped a few playing for us in all but got away with it. 
I've also said he is still young and plenty of top class keepers were making mistakes when the first broke through. 

I'd fear for him now that he gets dropped for Southampton. 

For ireland, I would nearly say he hadn't let us down badly yet so he is still number one but honestly speaking I would trust Kelleher more.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I've called it from the start that Bazunu has mistakes in him that need to be ironed out 
He has dropped a few playing for us in all but got away with it. 
I've also said he is still young and plenty of top class keepers were making mistakes when the first broke through. 

I'd fear for him now that he gets dropped for Southampton. 

For ireland, I would nearly say he hadn't let us down badly yet so he is still number one but honestly speaking I would trust Kelleher more.
He made plenty of mistakes for Rochdale and some of it was blamed on Brian Barry-Murphy having them playing expansive football. Now it's Southampton's defense being blamed. Never mind the fact it's a goalkeeper's remit to organise his defense. You see this with Parrott (teammates not being up to scratch), Connolly, Idah (playing too deep), Knight (shuffled around) and our other young players when they're underperforming. One of the rare times Kelleher had something to do in goal for us he was unconvincing for the UKR goal in Dublin and didn't look commanding enough at other points. 

Alex McCarthy was injured, as Nathan Jones pointedly said after the Brighton game, so I suspect Bazunu will be taken out of the firing line when he's back. 

Massively concerning that all three goalkeepers could be on the bench come March. If that's the case, I suspect Kelleher will be given the nod. It would be great if he discovered some ambition over the next month.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 27 Dec 2022 at 1:36pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 2:09pm
Bazunu is a great shot stopper. He needs to cut out these mistakes at times but that's something he and his coaches can and will work on. He may get dropped for a while but even if he does i think he will get back in soon enough. Hes made plenty of good saves this season so far. He is playing in a poor side lets not forget. Granted the 1st goal yesterday he made a mess of. 
I love beer gardens
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Bazunu is a great shot stopper. He needs to cut out these mistakes at times but that's something he and his coaches can and will work on. He may get dropped for a while but even if he does i think he will get back in soon enough. Hes made plenty of good saves this season so far. He is playing in a poor side lets not forget. Granted the 1st goal yesterday he made a mess of. 
I think this one's really up for debate, at least on current form. He seems to have a common theme of not moving his feet before diving and letting savable shots past him. I've said before that I actually think he's partial to the odd camera save and got a bit of stick, but I do think he makes straight forward saves look better than they are.

That being said I still think he's going to be a brilliant keeper. He's very young, just needs time and confidence.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Ya but put him in that Southampton side and see how he gets on. Bitnof a difference playing behind a Liverpool defence on a handful of occasions.

Exactly 
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 6:09pm
Bazunu has so much natural talent (there's a reason why someone so young in goal in the PL is a rarity) that he should be fine in time. But I do agree that his propensity for a mistake has been overlooked by some on here. If you take his home performance against Serbia where he was (rightly) lauded for a couple of worldies, in the same game he lost the flight of a free that landed on the crossbar from 45 metres and he ran out to intercept a though ball, missed it, and was only saved by McClean on the cover. Needs to cut this propensity way down and hopefully he will in time.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 6:26pm

LOL

Trying to equate Messi and Kelleher now. Bloody brilliant. LOL

But funnily enough, if you remove Messi from your atrocious argument, there have been numerous examples of players getting moves based on a handful of games at international tournaments and flopping afterword. Clearly demonstrating that a greater body of work should be taken into account before making judgements.

The only bad judge of player is the person over hyping a sub keeper based off essentially f*ck all games when playing for a team that has been winning with ease for years. 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Bazunu has so much natural talent (there's a reason why someone so young in goal in the PL is a rarity) that he should be fine in time. But I do agree that his propensity for a mistake has been overlooked by some on here. If you take his home performance against Serbia where he was (rightly) lauded for a couple of worldies, in the same game he lost the flight of a free that landed on the crossbar from 45 metres and he ran out to intercept a though ball, missed it, and was only saved by McClean on the cover. Needs to cut this propensity way down and hopefully he will in time.

The issue for Bazunu is that once you lose your place as a keeper, in all likelihood, it will be quite a while before you get another opportunity.

Sitting on the bench for Southampton for months isnt going to do him much good. I know other keepers somehow develop into Lev Yashin by sitting on the bench all season but most players need to play actual games to improve.

It's the consequences of making these mistakes that could hinder his chances to improve - even if he is good enough to get over these blunders with more experience.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

LOL

But funnily enough, if you remove Messi from your atrocious argument, there have been numerous examples of players getting moves based on a handful of games at international tournaments and flopping afterword. Clearly demonstrating that a greater body of work should be taken into account before making judgements.

The only bad judge of player is the person over hyping a sub keeper based off essentially f*ck all games when playing for a team that has been winning with ease for years. 

Congratulations on failing to understand what metaphorical reasoning is Embarrassed
We're decent enough..
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 9:34pm

LOL

Congratulations on failing to understand what metaphorical reasoning is Embarrassed

Thanks, post me out my award when you're done talking clueless, embarrassing waffle. LOL

Edited by E2016 - 27 Dec 2022 at 9:34pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 10:01pm

LOL

Thanks, post me out my award when you're done talking clueless, embarrassing waffle. LOL

If you honestly think the point of the post is to compare Kelleher (a goalkeeper) to Messi (the greatest outfield player of all time), then I'm unsurprised your level of intelligence doesn't allow you to make a call on a players quality from a 38 game sample.
We're decent enough..
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 10:03pm
2nd greatest 
I love beer gardens
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 4:27pm

LOL

If you honestly think the point of the post is to compare Kelleher (a goalkeeper) to Messi (the greatest outfield player of all time), then I'm unsurprised your level of intelligence doesn't allow you to make a call on a players quality from a 38 game sample.

I'm well aware that the point of the post was that you can make snap judgements on players off an extremely small sample size of games, which as I've already said is just an abysmal take. Especially given that you used the World Cup as an example for this sample size of games, which has famously led to a truckload of players being bought off their performances there and flopping afterward.

Thereby clearly indicating the need for more games to judge a player off.
Especially in the case of Carabao Caoimh who has played barely any games in goal for one of the most dominant teams in Europe. Plenty of top teams have been able to rotate in a number two over the years in damp squib fixtures who hasnt made a show of themselves. That doesnt mean that they have great ability. It's very obviously impossible to judge when the sample size is so low and the majority of the games are unimportant.

The cherry on top of your sh*t sundae was you utilising Messi as an example, regardless of your intentions with 'metaphorical reasoning' - you've still used Messi as a direct comparison to Kelleher. Now run along.

Edited by E2016 - 28 Dec 2022 at 4:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 107>
  Share Topic