You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 148>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

There was a case of a wrong document handed in which caused a problem, there’s been family holidays, there was another issue, among others

Looks like a lot of the blame is being thrown back at the player, wrong document,holiday - the other issue is an interesting one, wonder is there another interested party?

Between this & the one grandparent line you'd wonder. 
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 2:08pm
Racists!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 2:14pm

There was a case of a wrong document handed in which caused a problem, there’s been family holidays, there was another issue, among others

Looks like a lot of the blame is being thrown back at the player, wrong document,holiday - the other issue is an interesting one, wonder is there another interested party?

Highly doubt he's holding out. Document issues probably happens a lot, more when the FAI are involved I'd say and most of the championship players are on holidays at the moment. Kilkenny is over in Cambrils with his family before the internationals.

Edited by J89 - 26 May 2022 at 2:28pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Wonder what?
The lad has put in his papers and is showing up for the camp.

Sometimes when it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Wonder what?
The lad has put in his papers and is showing up for the camp.

Sometimes when it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

Still wouldn't put it past the FAI to make a balls of it and lose the documents he's bringing with him tomorrow to finalise his switch.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 4:07pm
Despite the strong squad I've a feeling we're going to make a balls of the next 3 games. We've managed to get some decent results but have also lost to Montenegro and drawn with Luxembourg. We haven't looked great in any of the games we've played yet IMO. We might still get results or suddenly click hopefully, but I can see us slipping up in one of the home games and losing to Italy. 
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Yeah, I have no gripe with Crawford but I'm not 100% sure he has the ability to successfully manage the u21s. 

Performances have been luke warm and I'm probably being generous... the team never look very organised and players often look a bit lost on what is required.

I generally like his team and squad selections and the players look motivated. But I often just see a disorganised group of players on the pitch who don't know if the should be lumping it up front or building from the back.

This is spot-on, unfortunately.  

Kenny over-performed with the U-21s, putting the frighteners on Italy, Mexico, Sweden etc.  The team always looked very confident and aggressive, no one ever afraid of the ball. 

Despite good individual players, our U-21 lads now look quite unorganised to me.  

I don't believe Crawford is getting the most out of them.  Losing to Montenegro away was down to pathetic defensive organisation.  Italy at home we were outplayed.  Mostly outplayed by Sweden at home (despite a great last minute goal from Ollie O'Neill).

In the last campaign, under Kenny with the u21s, we dominated Sweden twice, humiliated them really.

And got the better of Italy in a scoreless draw in Tallaght.  The return game, under Crawford, saw a far less confident and unorganised Ireland, get well beat. 

I loved the confidence Kenny gave the U 21s.  They were great to watch.  Crawford's team is often disjointed. 
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 5:06pm
Re the squad - 

Okoflex is still eligible for U19 - hopefully he is in there for the trip to Spain for the double-header against Iceland. 

For me the biggest omission, Cashin aside (discussed above), is Springett.  If you've just played in 3 PL games and you're eligible, you should be in the Irish U21 squad as a minimum.  Not necessarily starting, but involved at least. 

Maybe it's a paperwork thing, given his only caps were at a non-competitive age level (so eligibility not vigorously examined).

Also, Springett still eligible for U-19, so maybe he'll be in there. 

Edit: according to Tom Mohan, the U-19s going to Spain for the Iceland friendlies is for players who will be eligible for the 2023 competition.  So that would not include Okoflex or Springett.  If so, they would not be involved at any level!

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 26 May 2022 at 5:22pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Re the squad - 

Okoflex is still eligible for U19 - hopefully he is in there for the trip to Spain for the double-header against Iceland. 

For me the biggest omission, Cashin aside (discussed above), is Springett.  If you've just played in 3 PL games and you're eligible, you should be in the Irish U21 squad as a minimum.  Not necessarily starting, but involved at least. 

Maybe it's a paperwork thing, given his only caps were at a non-competitive age level (so eligibility not vigorously examined).

Also, Springett still eligible for U-19, so maybe he'll be in there. 

Edit: according to Tom Mohan, the U-19s going to Spain for the Iceland friendlies is for players who will be eligible for the 2023 competition.  So that would not include Okoflex or Springett.  If so, they would not be involved at any level!

Both of them are overage for the 19s, and even if they were underage for the group just gone the games in Spain will be for the lads that are born in 2004.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 5:27pm
Springett got game time for an absolutely rancid Norwich side.

People place too much stock in these things, especially when there's a flight risk involved. 

A good few players have got PL game time when nowhere near international standard; Jay O'Shea, Reece Grego-Cox, Michael Harriman, Kevin Toner etc.

Have a bit of patience and see if he can get sustained game time at a decent level next season.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 5:35pm
Springett getting game time recently was Smith judging where the player was at senior level for next season. Wouldn't be surprised if he was loaned out unless Norwich end up selling a few wingers.

Dara Costelloe probably would have gotten minutes at Burnley from Mike Jackson if the relegation battle didn't come down to the last day.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 6:18pm
The U21 competitions is vastly spread out.
So this window coming up is the last before any play-offs, and the finals are a whole year later!

If we make the play-offs (I'd say we are odds-against), then the draw is June 21st.
The matches are then on in September.
Then in October we have the draw for the groups in the finals, which is June '23.

So bringing it back to our players, that next comp will be for lads born from Jan 1, 2002, which includes the likes of Okoflex and Springett.

So for those lads, next season is where they will look to make a mark on senior football and feature for us come the 2025 (I know!) competition, which may start qualifiers next March, or certainly by Autumn, 2023.
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 6:20pm
I wouldn't bet on Oko-Flex ever making an appearance under Crawford. His commitment to us has been flakey at times and when he showed up last time, Crawford left him out for both games. Doesn't seem to get on with him at all.

He's still eligible for the next campaign and I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Pinginí - 26 May 2022 at 6:20pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 6:25pm
Yeah teams that don't make the finals can move a qualifier to March, Kenny's U21s played Luxembourg was it in March before going to the Toulon tournament that summer.

If we didn't have Euro '24 qualifiers next June and qualified for the U21s we could have potentially sent a very good team over if Crawford decided to pick lads that have moved to the seniors.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 6:27pm
Just to add to what I said above, out of the squad announced today, the folllowing are eligible for that next campaign:

Tayo Adamarola
Joe Hodge
Darragh Burns
Evan Ferguson
Ollie O'Neill
Mipo Odubeko
Sinclair Armstrong

So, not many, but we'll have a great strike-force for our 2025 campaign Cool

As an aside, if we wrap up with a poor window here, I'd be of the strong opinion that Crawford be moved on.

Edited by Fozz - 26 May 2022 at 6:30pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 12:05pm
Just wasting a bit of time and here's who I think JC will put out (am not saying this would be my 11, but I'm just some sap on a forum!):

He tends to stick with players, especially the back seven.

I don't think Smallbone is fit to start, hence Tierney to keep that spot, and he's a good fit there anyway.

I'd have Noss starting ahead of O'Neill and that's probably the least solid pick above.

I'm torn between Odubeko and Ferguson but would give the former the nod as he's had a season of men's football into the legs, and was looking better towards the end there.

As for Wright, I can't decide if he's a better option than Burns, but feel he'll get the nod due to experience.

Edited by Fozz - 27 May 2022 at 12:06pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 12:42pm
Why would you start Noss over O'Neill? 
gally View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Just wasting a bit of time and here's who I think JC will put out (am not saying this would be my 11, but I'm just some sap on a forum!):

He tends to stick with players, especially the back seven.

I don't think Smallbone is fit to start, hence Tierney to keep that spot, and he's a good fit there anyway.

I'd have Noss starting ahead of O'Neill and that's probably the least solid pick above.

I'm torn between Odubeko and Ferguson but would give the former the nod as he's had a season of men's football into the legs, and was looking better towards the end there.

As for Wright, I can't decide if he's a better option than Burns, but feel he'll get the nod due to experience.

I agree it might be the team that will be chosen, my team would be:

Ferguson
      Tierney        Smallbone
  Hodge
Coventry   Kilkenny
        Bagan  O'Brien  McGuinness O'Connor
   Maher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 148>
  Share Topic