You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6263646566 148>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 7:03pm
lovely assist from the Carlisle man for the goal as well. His club will be thrilled
Sponsored Links

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 7:04pm
Stephen Kenny in a bit of a rock and hard place now 

Under 21 management will get preference for the June window for players 
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Why would it?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 7:08pm
The Under 21s can't even get lads that don't make the senior squad to play for them, I don't think we need to worry about losing any senior squad players here.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Why would it?

What if by coincidence some of the under 21 players show amazing club form in the next few weeks. Would Kenny call them up to the seniors firstly making the under 21 management missing out on selecting them ?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 7:13pm

Why would it?

What if by coincidence some of the under 21 players show amazing club form in the next few weeks. Would Kenny call them up to the seniors firstly making the under 21 management missing out on selecting them ?

I don't think anyone that played in that Under 21 game is close to the senior squad. McGuinness, Bagan, Kilkenny and Coventry are four that might make the step up in a year or two, but none of them are close at the moment.
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

If anyone wants a summary 9f the game. Ireland scores on 12th minute and defended for 80 mins. Stole the game completely on the 88th minute with s thump up field.

The only football played were the players wearing yellow who were robbed of a stone cold penalty.

Great to win 2-0 but it was a 90minute suicide note in football terms.

Stole? Were you watching the same game as me? They had all the ball, they could do feck all with it due to the defensive solidity we showed

We offered absolutely nothing going forward past the 12th minute goal. They should have been awarded a stone cold penalty and then we scored on the long thump up field with a keeper mistake... yes, we stole it 

We had one less shot on target than they did. They didn’t offer a whole lot in the final third either so definitely don’t think we stole it

Ffs another pro lump it up field merchant... are we counting the odubeko half way effort as one of the shots on target? 

I’m far from a ‘pro lump it up field merchant’. We are away from home, we have a 1-0 lead against a far superior opposition if seedings are to go by, why not try sit in and bring home the 3 points? Would you be more in favour of playing a great style of football in the second half and drawing the game 1-1?
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Why would it?

I don't think anyone that played in that Under 21 game is close to the senior squad. McGuinness, Bagan, Kilkenny and Coventry are four that might make the step up in a year or two, but none of them are close at the moment.

I think he means players in the senior squad that are still elegible for u21s?
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 7:17pm

If anyone wants a summary 9f the game. Ireland scores on 12th minute and defended for 80 mins. Stole the game completely on the 88th minute with s thump up field.

The only football played were the players wearing yellow who were robbed of a stone cold penalty.

Great to win 2-0 but it was a 90minute suicide note in football terms.

Stole? Were you watching the same game as me? They had all the ball, they could do feck all with it due to the defensive solidity we showed

We offered absolutely nothing going forward past the 12th minute goal. They should have been awarded a stone cold penalty and then we scored on the long thump up field with a keeper mistake... yes, we stole it 

We had one less shot on target than they did. They didn’t offer a whole lot in the final third either so definitely don’t think we stole it

Ffs another pro lump it up field merchant... are we counting the odubeko half way effort as one of the shots on target? 

I’m far from a ‘pro lump it up field merchant’. We are away from home, we have a 1-0 lead against a far superior opposition if seedings are to go by, why not try sit in and bring home the 3 points? Would you be more in favour of playing a great style of football in the second half and drawing the game 1-1?

Even with missing players we are better than that Sweden team on paper and have had their number for a few years.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 7:20pm

Why would it?

No chance. Kenny has more than enough to work with for the time being. Hes has a very settled squad with a number of fringe players barely able to get game time never-mind those who miss out on making match day squads or call ups altogether.

He has stressed the importance and desire to top the NL. Hes not going to be using to promote u21 players.

Plenty of time for that in the end of year friendlies before the WC takes place. NL will be finished by then as will u21 qualifying / possible playoffs.
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 7:22pm
While it was a very hard watch it was a very good disciplined defensive display. At half time I thought there was no way Ireland could win . Got away with the penalty big time . Good to a great result though
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 7:29pm

Nonsense.
1. Sweden are no great shakes, there was no need to be so fearful & negative in the way we played here.
2. Sweden were literally denied a stonewall penalty to make it 1-1, and that came about because we were so utterly negative.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 7:37pm
Sweden didn't look that great. Why all the talk that we needed to be defensive and sit back. Seems to be the conclusion esp listening to RTE
I love beer gardens
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

No chance. Kenny has more than enough to work with for the time being. Hes has a very settled squad with a number of fringe players barely able to get game time never-mind those who miss out on making match day squads or call ups altogether.

He has stressed the importance and desire to top the NL. Hes not going to be using to promote u21 players.

Plenty of time for that in the end of year friendlies before the WC takes place. NL will be finished by then as will u21 qualifying / possible playoffs.

I don't really agree that there's no chance of call ups for the Nations League. There won't be loads, but I could definitely see 1 or 2.

Coventry in particular is playing very well, both for the U21s & MKDons, in a position the senior team are in dire need of proper back up for. And he has been called up to train with the senior team before (last March).
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Crawford leans way to heavily on the "he plays senior football" criteria for selecting his squad, with very few exceptions (Ferguson, O'Neill). Kenny seemed to just pick the most talented regardless, and did better with them because of it.

Yeah it drives me mad. When you are a 'smaller' nation part of it should be helping to develop the best prospects. Qualifying for international tournaments and showcasing talent is a great way for our young players to get noticed. Playing those that don't standout at L1/L2 like O'connor, Wright, Kayode and poor leagues like Tierney in the SPL is poor future planning

Not too long ago, we were capping non league players with tenuous links fo rather sake of it. The jury is still out with Crawford, but I'd agree with his policy of primarily picking lads who are playing regular senior football. Under 23 football in the UK isn't a good standard. 

Unless I'm wrong, and Mods can edit this if I am, but IIRC were we not capping as many granny rule players as we can, even non-league ones, because it was financially beneficial for Noel King to do so?

Delighted for Tierney, especially after being written off by some on here. It's almost as if full-time football won't improve a 21 year old the way some were going on here.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Crawford leans way to heavily on the "he plays senior football" criteria for selecting his squad, with very few exceptions (Ferguson, O'Neill). Kenny seemed to just pick the most talented regardless, and did better with them because of it.

Yeah it drives me mad. When you are a 'smaller' nation part of it should be helping to develop the best prospects. Qualifying for international tournaments and showcasing talent is a great way for our young players to get noticed. Playing those that don't standout at L1/L2 like O'connor, Wright, Kayode and poor leagues like Tierney in the SPL is poor future planning

Not too long ago, we were capping non league players with tenuous links fo rather sake of it. The jury is still out with Crawford, but I'd agree with his policy of primarily picking lads who are playing regular senior football. Under 23 football in the UK isn't a good standard. 

Unless I'm wrong, and Mods can edit this if I am, but IIRC were we not capping as many granny rule players as we can, even non-league ones, because it was financially beneficial for Noel King to do so?

Delighted for Tierney, especially after being written off by some on here. It's almost as if full-time football won't improve a 21 year old the way some were going on here.

I recall him calling up a player with the surname Hamilton, who I believe played for Wigan at the time, who would go on to make a grand total of 0 appearances as a professional footballer.

There were loads like that who plateaued at National League level. Your Jack Connors and Lanre Oyebanjos.

It was obvious what was going on.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 10:54pm
I know he's not flavour of the month but I thought Odubeko played well this evening for the 21s. Definitely a promising player and still a kid. Hasn't scored for Doncaster but the regular football matches will bring him on hugely long term as we saw with Parrott last year at Ipswich a character building excercise.

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 9:38am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I know he's not flavour of the month but I thought Odubeko played well this evening for the 21s. Definitely a promising player and still a kid. Hasn't scored for Doncaster but the regular football matches will bring him on hugely long term as we saw with Parrott last year at Ipswich a character building excercise.

I was watching him and he played that thankless role quite well.
Showed a few good touches and his history is water under the bridge.

While the Doncaster loan is a slog, he will be learning a lot there and will stand to him.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6263646566 148>
  Share Topic