You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 148>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

On paper it looks like a fairly strong squad anyway. Certainly the quality in terms of level players are playing at for their clubs is remaining decent, compared to what squads looked like in the Noel King era 

Yep, at this stage you nearly need to be playing men's football to get into our U21's.

O'Neill the obvious outlier here (but the hero v Sweden and a likeable lad!), aswell as Ferguson (but he's in based on huge potential and being ahead of his age-group the last few years).
Then you have Kilkenny who's not played in a while but has good senior experience under his belt, at a decent level too and well proven at this level.

Otherwise they all play regular men's football, which is great to see and is the big difference to the U20's named last week.

We also see big names like Noss, Johansson and Connell all being dropped for various reasons, mostly due to a lack of senior football, albeit Connell has been playing of late.

Sponsored Links

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Squad for Sweden away:

What's with the "33" in Kayode's name?
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Squad for Sweden away:

Think that is "JJ"
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 12:56pm

Squad for Sweden away:

That's two Js, he goes by JJ Kayode mostly.

Edited by J89 - 15 Mar 2022 at 12:56pm
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 2:45pm
would there be much between O'Neill, Whelan and Wright? I'd imagine that Ferguson will get the lead role upfront and hopefully Festy coming down the right side and one of the three above coming off the left....
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

would there be much between O'Neill, Whelan and Wright? I'd imagine that Ferguson will get the lead role upfront and hopefully Festy coming down the right side and one of the three above coming off the left....

Good chance it might be the same line up as the home fixture. Midfield trio of Coventry, Kilkenny, and Tierney, with Wright on the LW, Smallbone on the RW, and Kayode up front.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 3:23pm
The most encouraging thing about the squad, is the amount of players playing first team football at a decent level. With a small squad, there's a chance for a few of the U20's to break in if they impress in their friendly. 
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 3:24pm
Oisin McEntee dropped, though he's playing regularly. Kerrigan also dropped.

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Tight squad, certainly not calling lads up just for the sake of it anyway. Disappointing to see only three centre backs though - tells its own story regarding how we'll set up. Festy named as a forward suggests it will still be Lee O'Connor at right back, even though he doesn't play there for his club any more.

Probably looking at something like 

Maher
O'Connor McGuinness Cashin Bagan
                 Coventry Kilkenny
                       Smallbone
Ebosele                                       O'Neill
                         Ferguson 

Yeah, that's probably how they'll line up.

I know Crawford very briefly tried the 3421 for a game or 2, but he clearly picked the XI with the intention of reverting to a back 4 (playing Bagan as a LCB instead of LWB, and LOC at RWB), and he did revert after only 10 or 15 minutes. Crawford doesn't seem to know what to do with 3421, though I think it's clearly a better fit for our players.

Whelan is a CF, no?
So it'll probably be between Wright & O'Neill at LW. Would think O'Neill earned a start after his winner (and generally bright cameo) in the last game. Whereas Wright fluffed a golden opportunity to win that same game.

pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 3:27pm
I think Wright ahead of O Niel as well 
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 3:50pm
Is John Joe Patrick Finn picked for us at any level in this window or is he injured?  Only 18.

Anyone know why Noss wasn't picked?  Has looked one of our better performers in the last few games. 

On the topic of Bundesliga prospects, I note that Mainz's Paul Nebel isn't involved at any level, so seems to be sticking with Germany.  

Am delighted to see Festy in there - love his attitude.  McClean-esque in his enthusiasm.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 15 Mar 2022 at 3:58pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Squad for Sweden away:

Think that is "JJ"
That makes far more sense
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Is John Joe Patrick Finn picked for us at any level in this window or is he injured?  Only 18.

Anyone know why Noss wasn't picked?  Has looked one of our better performers in the last few games. 

On the topic of Bundesliga prospects, I note that Mainz's Paul Nebel isn't involved at any level, so seems to be sticking with Germany.  

Am delighted to see Festy in there - love his attitude.  McClean-esque in his enthusiasm.

Finn has been back with our u19s. Will probably be in the squad for the elite round next week.

Noss just isnt playing enough compared to others like Coventry, Killkenny, Devoy, Tierney etc.. they're all playing seniors mens football. Where as Noss is stuck on the bench week in/out at Gladbach and because hes regularly with the senior team hes not even getting underage / reserve team games. His only appearance this season was an injury time debut.
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 4:24pm
I thought Noss went on loan somewhere, no?
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Finn has been back with our u19s. Will probably be in the squad for the elite round next week.

Noss just isnt playing enough compared to others like Coventry, Killkenny, Devoy, Tierney etc.. they're all playing seniors mens football. Where as Noss is stuck on the bench week in/out at Gladbach and because hes regularly with the senior team hes not even getting underage / reserve team games. His only appearance this season was an injury time debut.
noss looked quality for us yet hes dropped? strange decision as i would be starting him.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 5:11pm
Don't know where Noß has shown this quality. Has started one game this campaign and played an average of 20mins a game this campaign.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Don't know where Noß has shown this quality. Has started one game this campaign and played an average of 20mins a game this campaign.

Noss played well for the U21s in previous qualifiers.  Looked a cut above some of his colleagues with his touch.

However, I would agree with the idea that you want guys in the squad who are actually playing relatively regularly - are match-fit and match-sharp.  These are competitive qualifiers and there won't be much time for players to get up to speed. 

Notwithstanding the personnel, Crawford's U21s are not a patch on Kenny's U21s in how they play or in their results.  Kenny's team was brave, organised and skillful, played on the front foot and had a gritty, never-say-die attitude.  They went in to games against Italy and Sweden believing and expecting to win. I don't see that in the current set-up. 

Part of that may have been the Toulon tournament which set them up and got them playing like club team, used to playing each other etc., whereas Crawford's had to deal with the usual sporadic short international windows.  
KingKenny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingKenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Good chance it might be the same line up as the home fixture. Midfield trio of Coventry, Kilkenny, and Tierney, with Wright on the LW, Smallbone on the RW, and Kayode up front.

Surely ferguson is ahead of kayode now? 

Kayode should still be ahead of Ferguson. He's getting a decent amount of senior football
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 12:23pm
Darragh Burns and Killian Phillips added to Under-21 squad.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 148>
  Share Topic