You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 148>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 12:49pm
With kilkenny playing a deeper midfield role, Coventry and Molumby also deeper midfielders. Not to mention players like highly rated Joe Hodge and Luca Connell. I've also seen johansson play deeper in midfield .

It may well turn out that we have an abundance of talent in that area of the pitch soon.. fingers crossed.
Sponsored Links

shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Actually is obafemi over age for under21

He turned 21 in July so in still eligible for u21s.

I believe the cut off is if the player turned 21 before 1st January 2000 anybody after that date is fine.

I think that's the u42s tournament you're talking about
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 1:17pm
That’s a better squad than the senior side LOL
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Obafemi not in, Festy not in - is he injured, Okaflex, Lawal, Connell & Afolabi not in either

Others Tom Cannon, Bowden,

Strong squad for those that made it, Finn in for training

Festy is injured, hasn’t been in last 2/3 Derby squads. As for the rest do any of them get in the squad on merit? Probably not! 

I'd say of any of them that would have had a shout would be Okoflex & definitely Lawal, who is already captain of the Celtic B, he hasn't been named in any of the underage squads, given he was in the last U21 squad.

Yes Celtic B, he’s playing in the bloody lowlands league or whatever it’s called. He wouldn’t want to be spending too much time in that least! Connell is in limbo between both team and barely playing at all. As for Okoflex there could be any of a number of reasons why he’s not in the team.

Point i'm making is he's only moved there, and he's already been made captain, plus positive reports coming out about him, also he was in the last squad, so just wondering why he didn't make this one
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 2:04pm
Lawal is primarily a central midfielder and it's one of the most competitive positions in the squad. Connell would likely be ahead of him in that position and he didn't get in either. Given he's still under 19 eligible I think he has just not been picked this time around.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 2:32pm
Kenny doesn’t get credit for this but in his Director of football role (or whatever the job is he has been doing alongside the senior job) he has been better at targeted pipeline building. He’s done a great job of bringing through midfielders (our weakest spot for the last 20 years) and also been involved in recruiting Johansson, Finn, etc. who fit our profile.

That will make a huge difference in our future
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 3:06pm
Okoflex still eligible for 19s I think. When have they got a game ?
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Kenny doesn’t get credit for this but in his Director of football role (or whatever the job is he has been doing alongside the senior job) he has been better at targeted pipeline building. He’s done a great job of bringing through midfielders (our weakest spot for the last 20 years) and also been involved in recruiting Johansson, Finn, etc. who fit our profile.

How exactly did he bring them through he didn’t just find them or in fact develop them the clubs did
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 3:10pm
The next Under 19s group is for players born 1/1/03 or later so Okoflex is overage for them.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

How exactly did he bring them through he didn’t just find them or in fact develop them the clubs did

Nobody's saying that he discovered these players. He's giving younger Talent a chance. he's brought them through by bringing them through....early.

The reason why Moran and Ferguson at 17 and 16 are in the under-21 is because of Kenny's youth development policy.

Check out our under-21 team from 5 years ago. Those two lads would have been lucky to make the under 19s under the last regime.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 7:46pm
Did Crawford give any press conference today lads?
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Did Crawford give any press conference today lads?

Didnt see or hear any. He usually doesn't until they meet up.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 8:34pm
👍
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:07pm
Think it is a bit unfair to all the promising young lads in the League of Ireland to see this Joel Bagan in the U/21 squad. He was never mentioned until McCarthy had a word with him. I am not against using the Granny rule but this just seems to quick.
Also Evan Ferguson has the making of a Super player saw him play several times at underage with the DDSL and his club. But at 16 I just think he is been rushed play him at 17 and 19. Ok I suppose if he continues to progress he will be fast-tracked to the Senior side so wont play much for the U21s. I just think its to soon. 
That's by rant finished  
alive and kicking
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by smart man smart man wrote:

Think it is a bit unfair to all the promising young lads in the League of Ireland to see this Joel Bagan in the U/21 squad. He was never mentioned until McCarthy had a word with him. I am not against using the Granny rule but this just seems to quick.
Also Evan Ferguson has the making of a Super player saw him play several times at underage with the DDSL and his club. But at 16 I just think he is been rushed play him at 17 and 19. Ok I suppose if he continues to progress he will be fast-tracked to the Senior side so wont play much for the U21s. I just think its to soon. 
That's by rant finished  

Who at u21 in the league is there at left back thats good enough? We've had Leahy, Clarke and Scales all play there until recently but are all now too old for the new campaign.

As for Ferguson, hes playing u23s / PL2 for Brighton and flying. Sure he made his senior debut for the club in the cup during the week there. Why would you hold back your players progress by not fast tracking players who are obviously ready for it? He'd have nothing to gain playing with the 17s or 19s.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:58pm
Definitely no problem with Bagan being called up, we have nobody else anywhere near his standard at left back at that age group. Ferry played out of position there during the summer and never looked comfortable.

If Ferguson is good enough, he's old enough as far as I'm concerned.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 11:05pm

Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Ferguson and Moran in. Good call to fast track them. Okoflex’s hat trick for West Ham reserves must have rekindled his England ambitions.

Oxoflex, as has been stated on here probably 20 times, doesn’t qualify for England.

Just on this comment - the rules say that a person needs to have lived in a country for five years after their 13th birthday to be eligible for that country. Okoflex likely fell just short of this in terms of his time in England when he moved to Scotland to join Celtic.

However, as far as I am aware, the rules don't say that the five years have to be consecutive or in a single stint. Okoflex now lives in England again. I don't think there's any reason why his earlier time with Arsenal couldn't be added to his current time with West Ham to make up the five years.

So, while he will probably never play for them, I think he is now eligible to.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

That’s a better squad than the senior side LOL

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 148>
  Share Topic