You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mipo Odubeko

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 32>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 4:10pm
Yeah, he's not going to be banging in goals for Doncaster, they're bottom of the league for a reason - they don't create a lot of chances let alone score many goals. He's going to have a tough run.

But as long as he's playing regularly then he's probably better off there then at West Ham playing U23s.

Very similar to Parrott last season - Championship for the first half of the season, struggled (though Parrott got a lot more gametime at Millwall than Mipo got at Huddersfield, even having missed 2 months through injury).
Then sent to lower end League 1 sides that don't create or score much for the second half of the season.
Sponsored Links

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 4:43pm
It's a good loan for him - he's only 19.  Loads of time to develop.  

Important thing is to be playing senior football - and League 1 is not such a bad level that we're not willing to pick players from that league for our senior squad, so a good opportunity for him.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

ah the poor lad is gonna struggle there too! Can we seriously expect him to go there and score loads of goals?

Probably not, but he should be able to hold down a regular starting place at that level. Would be looking for him to work hard in terms of his all round game as scoring chances probably won't be easy to come by.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 6:45pm
I wouldn't be worried about him scoring at a rate of knots. Looking at their squad it's pretty thin so he should go and get regular gametime potentially 15-20 matches at senior level hopefully plenty starts but decent gametime off the bench if nothing else.
He's only turned 19 so still young this will stand him in good stead. Also they managed to pull off a shock against Mk Dons in their last game so who knows that might spark a mini revival and they might find a semblance of form. 2 home games coming up albeit against tough opposition so an opportunity to maybe pick up another result.

Edited by kevin100 - 27 Jan 2022 at 6:48pm
BossmanSteo View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BossmanSteo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 7:48pm
Paul Rowan reported for The Times yesterday that Odubeko has reached out to the FAI and is expected to be available for the next U21 camp.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by BossmanSteo BossmanSteo wrote:

Paul Rowan reported for The Times yesterday that Odubeko has reached out to the FAI and is expected to be available for the next U21 camp.
funny what difference a few months can make
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 12:04pm
All good and well, but he's a ways down the pecking order now, with Ferguson and JJ well ahead of him.
Does he even deserve a squad-place, based on form?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 12:25pm
Probably behind Ferguson and Kayode anyway, but if we take three centre forwards he'd probably get in. Competition would be Colm Whelan, Jonathan Afolabi and Johnny Kenny. Then there's Ollie o'neill as well, but not sure if he's a centre forward or more a general attacking player like Okoflex and Moran.

Odubeko is underage for the next campaign as well though. By then Kayode would be overage and Ferguson will probably have moved on to the senior squad.

He has done nothing at club level to suggest he has much to offer the Under 21s in the short term though. Kayode looks better, but he does play in a stronger club team, which helps.

Edited by You Tell Me - 22 Feb 2022 at 12:31pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

funny what difference a few months can make

Funny how looking out of your depth at one of the worst teams in League One changes your perspective on things.

I await his inevitable hissy fit when he's left out of a squad for the first time.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 12:46pm

Lucky us!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 1:33pm
I would say just let the young fella declare for whoever he want's to. 
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Ffs why are we giving this guy the time of day, he's not irish. I dont care where he was born. An Irish footballer wants to play for ireland. 

Dual nationality players of course need to make a decision of which country they want to represent and I can understand that.

This opportunist just realises he's not as good as he thinks he is and decided to settle for ireland... for now.

This pretty much sums it up
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 2:10pm
In a few years I feel we will look back and laugh at our worry of losing this lad to England, along with Luca Connell and Armstrong Okoflex

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

In a few years I feel we will look back and laugh at our worry of losing this lad to England, along with Luca Connell and Armstrong Okoflex

You must be short of something to laugh about. Or else you're easily amused. 

Edited by Eoink21 - 22 Feb 2022 at 3:29pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

In fairness, has Odubeko or anyone close to him, ever mentioned holding out for an England call-up?
Or was that just speculation from some of us after he dropped from that 21's camp that he was named in?

The optics of the whole thing look bad - refusing an International call-up when he was on the up for WH and now saying he will accept a call when struggling for as lowly L1 basement dweller.

Time will tell if the lad ever features in an Ireland jersey again but on current form, he's a ways off.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 4:22pm
Not speculation, Fozzy. It's been posted several times if you go back through the thread. Both the U21 manager's thoughts and that of Odubeko's agent. We can't get a read on Odubeko because, as Crawford alluded to, he simply refused to answer the phone when Crawford tried to contact him.

When someone refuses call-ups several times when he's "hot" property, and finally accepts one once his profile has plummeted, it's pretty easy to see what's going on.

I wouldn't read that much into it anyways even if he's back with the U21's. Situation could be entirely different next year if he has an (unlikely) renaissance with West Ham or lights up the Championship if he somehow manages to get another loan spell there. Connor Ronan and Daniel Crowley both fluctuated between intl sides depending on several factors. I'd imagine Odubeko's change of heart isn't altruistic.

Here's a link with a few quotes from his agent (again).

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 4:26pm
Football fans are fickle, if he starts scoring a few goals you’ll all change your mind. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Football fans are fickle, if he starts scoring a few goals you’ll all change your mind

He probably will too. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 32>
  Share Topic