FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mipo Odubeko

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Remember this lad. People on here pissing their pants that England might steal him, and that other fella Okoflex

Okoflex is doing fairly well tbf. Playing for Zurich who are 4th in Swiss Premier League, albeit on the bench more than starting. 

Thought it was odd that he scored both goals for the u21s against Latvia and then in next window didnt get off the bench in either game. 
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 4:10pm
Remember this lad. People on here pissing their pants that England might steal him, and that other fella Okoflex
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 4:09pm
Safe to say he’s had a nightmare time of it of late - yet to make an appearance for the first team and has faked injury to avoid playing for the second team. Neither of Maritimo’s coaches this season have taken to him. 

His good mate Deji Sotona is now playing in the English 6th tier with Boston United. 

Shows how perilous football is 
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2023 at 9:21am
David Connolly was a huge success at Excelsior in The Eerste Divisie, albeit on loan from Feyenoord.

Playing in Portugal kickstarted Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink's career after he initially struggled in Dutch football.

It's not an ideal move, but hopefully he plays 28+ league games and scores 12+ goals.

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 11:51am
Currently training with CS Marítimo who were recently relegated to the Portuguese second tier after 38 years in the top flight. Some talk that he'll be announced as a new signing for them soon.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

some French clubs taking a look at him. Nantes and Bastia.

Nantes would be a good move. No guarantee that he doesn't end up paying for their B team, but it's worth the risk.

Balogun had a bad loan at Middlesbrough last year, then hit 21 Ligue 1 goals for Reims last season. He's. now a USA international and one of the most valuable U23 strikers on the market.

Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 9:55am
some French clubs taking a look at him. Nantes and Bastia.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 9:35am
I'd say his being bombed out of the first team squad at Port Vale half way through the season is evidence enough to be honest.

Of course it's possible that he can come back - I would say the odds are against him from here, but it is possible - but again, he'll be trying a weak Dutch team not because of some deeper strategy based around continental European football, but because his current position is that he needs to find a professional club first and foremost and then try to work his way back from there after that if he's good enough.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 9:15am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The problem for Mipo is that he has already had two cracks at that level - with Doncaster and Port Vale - and neither was a success. While it's true that he's still only 20, having two failed League 1 loans still doesn't look good on his CV. He's not trying the Netherlands because they play beautiful technical football that's more suited to him or anything like that, he's trying it because he has exhausted his options in England.

There are heaps of examples of young players who have had a number of unsuccessful loans before going on to better things. Anyway, I'm not making a particular case for Odubeko here as I havent really seen enough of him to give a fair opinion, but I'd guess you have no evidence to support the last line of your comment. Maybe he doesnt fancy playing in L2 and/or maybe he/his agent felt he might benefit from a spell abroad in a more technical league. I think it's just idle speculation to suggest he has run out of options in England tbh.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 8:34am
The problem for Mipo is that he has already had two cracks at that level - with Doncaster and Port Vale - and neither was a success. While it's true that he's still only 20, having two failed League 1 loans still doesn't look good on his CV. He's not trying the Netherlands because they play beautiful technical football that's more suited to him or anything like that, he's trying it because he has exhausted his options in England.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 4:40am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

He may be one of those lads who benefitted from being bigger and more athletic than his peers at a younger age group.

If he does go abroad then hopefully being big and athletic stands to him. Somewhere like Holland wouldn't be as physical.

It's the one downside of some players dropping down to the lower leagues in England. You'll come across some hardy bastards that have been battling in the lower leagues for a few years and know a thing or two about pocketing inexperienced players.

Kilkenny could be another lad who'd benefit this season of getting a year outside England. Not everyone is gonna replicate the success of Cullen but don't think he'd be where he is now had he dropped down the leagues in England rather than go to Anderlecht.
No hardy bastards in Dutch second-tier, of course, only gentlemen playing the beautiful game while gentile fans kick de stront out of each other. Hard to see Mipo rising like a phoenix to become the next Josh Cullen who, realistically, has won an EPL shot thanks to Kompany getting the Burnley gig. Mipo is only 20 and would be better off learning the hard facts of football life at such as Lincoln, Portsmouth and Oxford where his ceiling lies. He's a big lad himself and should be up to it. 

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

He may be one of those lads who benefitted from being bigger and more athletic than his peers at a younger age group.

If he does go abroad then hopefully being big and athletic stands to him. Somewhere like Holland wouldn't be as physical.

It's the one downside of some players dropping down to the lower leagues in England. You'll come across some hardy bastards that have been battling in the lower leagues for a few years and know a thing or two about pocketing inexperienced players.

Kilkenny could be another lad who'd benefit this season of getting a year outside England. Not everyone is gonna replicate the success of Cullen but don't think he'd be where he is now had he dropped down the leagues in England rather than go to Anderlecht.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Exactly, way to early to be bringing in a verdict here, both Manchester clubs saw something, West Ham gave him first team minutes and yes the odds have lengthened since then but he does have something and it can still come, Afolabi tormenting Rovers recently in a MOTM performance sure to have scouts attention again comes to mind & he was completely scrap heaped by many.

Wouldn't back against Afolabi. He's 23 and he has 4 goals in 20 games this season. But I wouldn't back against him if he can keep struggling and round his skillset off then he definitely will be a proposition in an improving LOI or side overseas/cross channel. He played the 9 role well underage and was effective but didn't adapt to the senior game in the same manner that, even, Adam Idah did managed to do (to an extent - a lot left to do). He has a style and set of attributes that will make him interesting I believe.  
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 4:06pm
Exactly, way to early to be bringing in a verdict here, both Manchester clubs saw something, West Ham gave him first team minutes and yes the odds have lengthened since then but he does have something and it can still come, Afolabi tormenting Rovers recently in a MOTM performance sure to have scouts attention again comes to mind & he was completely scrap heaped by many.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Ah guys I think this is one lad who isn't gonna work out. Great underage talent but there is no evidence at all he'll make it at the senior level. With the strikers we have, he's a million miles away

If he gets games at VVV Venlo (Dutch 2nd Division, they were close to promotion to the Eredevisie this season losing out in the play off semi on penos), he'll be straight back in to our U21 squad and possibly starting XI if Cannon doesnt return, so it's miles too early to be writing him off. He wont hit 21 until October.
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 2:15pm
Age doesn't matter, his legs are gone!
We're decent enough..
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Ah guys I think this is one lad who isn't gonna work out. Great underage talent but there is no evidence at all he'll make it at the senior level. With the strikers we have, he's a million miles away

How old is he again ??
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 7:57pm

When the others catch up physically, he's not as good any more in relative terms. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
  Share Topic