Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Summer Friendlies/Training Camp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 44>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

none of Browne, Stevens, Hendrick or Clark are injured. 

Kenny saying Stevens and Browne need rest.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Easily the weakest Ireland squad since the infamous Staunton US tour in 2007. 

Some of the surprise call ups can't have been picked on form, Kenny clearly has his favourites.

While there were obviously going to be a lot of changes with this squad, a lot of the replacements have not merited their callups.

Just another pointer to the fact that the manager is way out of his depth unfortunately.

Who has he left out that available that you think he should have picked?

Mcnamara, Obafemi and Scully are three that instantly come to mind who, as far as I know, are fit and available. It's also unclear which O'Connor he has selected, but if it's Lee then he has picked the wrong one.

Call ups picked on form? are you joking?

How is his situation any different to Idah or Ogbene's really?

He has been out injured for months, got himself back to full fitness, played a couple of Premier League games as a sub and looked sharp. Like many of our young players, we don't know for sure what his level will be in three or four years time but, in the context of the number of absentees this time around, he should absolutely be in there.

I get that Scully is still involved in the playoffs, but that's shouldn't stop him joining for the Ireland games which aren't until June. 

Mcnamara though is the worst of the lot. Unless there's something we don't know in terms of his availability, he has been playing really well at Championship level but has been omitted for a player who has been average at best in League 2. It makes no sense at all.

For me Kenny seems to favour certain players from his under 21 squad but senior football is different and other players who he didn't give much of a chance to at Under 21, such as these three, seem to have adapted better to the senior game. It's worrying that he can't seem to see that.

Edited by You Tell Me - 24 May 2021 at 2:31pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:27pm
What's Jamie McGrath like? 17 goals for a #8 or a #10 seems to be a good return regardless of what league it's played in. 

Is this someone to be excited about?
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Scully involved in playoff so understandable

So is Hourihane though.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Scully involved in playoff so understandable

So is Hourihane though.
And Manning
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:35pm
Seemingly no efforts made to recruit anyone new. Then again who would want to play for us under the current setup. Andorra will fancy their chances.
The only way is up
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

What's Jamie McGrath like? 17 goals for a #8 or a #10 seems to be a good return regardless of what league it's played in. 

Is this someone to be excited about?

He's decent but I wouldn't get too excited. A lot of those goals were penalties. He is excellent from dead balls but goes missing at times in open play. 

Well worth a look in this squad though given the absentees - I certainly don't object to him being in there.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:42pm
LOL
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Seemingly no efforts made to recruit anyone new. Then again who would want to play for us under the current setup. Andorra will fancy their chances.

Going on nothing but a hunch, I’d say we got knocked back by a couple of players who may not fancy a camp like this at the end of a season.

Also, with the Under 21 squad in Spain at the same time there is a lot of potential for players to move between the two groups, at least before the squad goes to Hungary for the second game.

I don’t know if the two squads will be in camp together but we are essentially going to be evaluating a ton of players at one time across two camps. Waiting for the U21 squad with interest.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:49pm
Shodipo and Sykes are two others that might have merited a call up here. Both finished the season strongly with Oxford. Maybe Harness at Portsmouth also.

I wouldn't have said any of those three would be certs to get in, but if we were ever going to have a look at them, now would be the time.

I'm not sure there's much to gain from continuing to call up Arter and Horgan, who have been picked in their positions.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:49pm
Does seem strange McGrath wasn't called up to this. had a great season and Kenny knows him well from managing him at Dundalk.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

MacNamara and Scully should be in for me.

Obafemi too as if Idah can be in after a few mins on the pitch post a long injury, why can't Obafemi unless he's with the 21's, which we'll find out tomorrow.

I agree with Obafemi. I’d actually say he warrants a place ahead of Parrott as opposed to Idah. I’d have left Parrott with the 21s a while. 

Nothing against Parrott still have faith in him but he just has looked like a boy in a mans game this last year and doesn’t quite have the psychicality. 

I’d be happy to see him with the 21s and playing at a lower level such as League 1 for the next 2/3 years even just to develop and get up to speed. If he can get a few games for Tottenham in Cups even better.

Edited by kevin100 - 24 May 2021 at 2:52pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:54pm
Aaron McEneff could have been in with a shout too.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Does seem strange McGrath wasn't called up to this. had a great season and Kenny knows him well from managing him at Dundalk.

Confused

He's in the squad
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Confused

He's in the squad

haha oh sh1t sorry, i missed his name. duely noted LOL
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

MacNamara and Scully should be in for me.

Obafemi too as if Idah can be in after a few mins on the pitch post a long injury, why can't Obafemi unless he's with the 21's, which we'll find out tomorrow.

I agree with Obafemi. I’d actually say he warrants a place ahead of Parrott as opposed to Idah. I’d have left Parrott with the 21s a while. 

Nothing against Parrott still have faith in him but he just has looked like a boy in a mans game this last year and doesn’t quite have the psychicality. 

I’d be happy to see him with the 21s and playing at a lower level such as League 1 for the next 2/3 years even just to develop and get up to speed. If he can get a few games for Tottenham in Cups even better.

Yeah, being objective, how can Parrott get a call up over all the other L1 lads?
Seems like favouritism to me.
And not like we're stuck for out and out strikers in that we have Collins and Idah for that same position.
I'm not sure any of the lads in L1 will amount to senior internationals beyond a few caps but seems this is a missed chance to have a look.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 4:25pm
Did kenny give any reason as to why obafemi, McCarty or McNamara are not involved?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 4:28pm
McCarthy not included because he's managing his games and is out of contract. Didn't hear the other two mentioned but I didn't see the whole press conference.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 44>
  Share Topic