Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57687
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 12:09pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Summer Friendlies/Training Camp
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Subject: Summer Friendlies/Training Camp
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 9:44pm
Confirmed in this article about the planning for various scenarios regarding the Euros that we'll have two friendlies in End of May/Beginning of June although they won't be in Lansdowne due to the Euros. Would presume then it'll be friendlies in either the RDS, Thomand or a summer camp somewhere. 

Also says the FAI are hopeful of having some fans in for the Luxembourg and Qatar games

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-euro-2020-5310926-Dec2020/" rel="nofollow - https://www.the42.ie/dublin-euro-2020-5310926-Dec2020/

Replies:
Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 10:00pm
I liked the novelty of games in Thomond in the past. Why don't they try and do one or two in Pairc Ui Chaoimh?

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Confirmed in this article about the planning for various scenarios regarding the Euros that we'll have two friendlies in End of May/Beginning of June although they won't be in Lansdowne due to the Euros. Would presume then it'll be friendlies in either the RDS, Thomand or a summer camp somewhere. 

Also says the FAI are hopeful of having some fans in for the Luxembourg and Qatar games

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-euro-2020-5310926-Dec2020/" rel="nofollow - https://www.the42.ie/dublin-euro-2020-5310926-Dec2020/
Hopefully they are two away fixtures. They were planning a week long camp in Austria last Summer with two friendlies as part of it so something similar would be nice

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 10:46pm
If the 4th stand is open in tallaght there would be no reason why it couldn't be played there.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

If the 4th stand is open in tallaght there would be no reason why it couldn't be played there.

Can’t see it being opened 

Posted By: AbuAbu
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 12:43pm

I think I might wait until after these games to get a vaccine!!

-------------
It's not me it's you:-)

Posted By: Daragho
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 12:50pm
Still can't see Euro 2021 taking place in 12 cities in June, from Dublin to Baku. It would be very irresponsible, just when the virus will hopefully be coming under control by then.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 7:22pm
Seems like a tour of America is in the cards in the summer depending on COVID according to John Fallon in the examiner

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 8:12pm
[QUOTE=Donegalman]Seems like a tour of America is in the cards in the summer depending on COVID according to John Fallon in the examiner[/QUOTE

Oh gawd... 

I wonder who 2021's Lapira and O'Cearuill are going to be?

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Seems like a tour of America is in the cards in the summer depending on COVID according to John Fallon in the examiner

That guy tends to make it up as he goes along. If he says we're touring America then we'll probably end up touring South Africa.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 9:36pm
Please let it be... serious craic the last time, so covid dependent of course, Ill be all over this.

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 9:48pm
Indeed. Brilliant trip last time. We did the dog on it by spending a week in Chicago first before going on to Philadelphia for the first match. Chicago is some spot.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Indeed. Brilliant trip last time. We did the dog on it by spending a week in Chicago first before going on to Philadelphia for the first match. Chicago is some spot.
I’ll clarify that im referring to the Mexico game in 2017 in NJ and not the previous tour. Embarrassed 

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Please let it be... serious craic the last time, so covid dependent of course, Ill be all over this.
Yeah it would certainly be a savage trip but very unlikely although I’m hoping there could be a slim chance of being able to go in June is there? Are America even letting anyone in at the minute?

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:03pm
theres always hope.. in reality though, I think any plans for these type of tours are based on best case scenarios. Im due to go to NYC in August as it is and im dreading that not happening.

Even told the_walls recently that id go back again with him for the next Mayo trip out there.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:14pm

theres always hope.. in reality though, I think any plans for these type of tours are based on best case scenarios. Im due to go to NYC in August as it is and im dreading that not happening.

Even told the_walls recently that id go back again with him for the next Mayo trip out there.
The sh*t show that’s going on in America at the minute god knows what it will be like in June. Was supposed to go over last May at the time Galway were playing but COVID put a halt to that. Was expecting us to play Bosnia away as part of the summer friendlies as I think we have to at some stage would have been probably better chance of a trip than America.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:20pm
was out in 2019 with wallsy for the Mayo game and in 2017 for the mexico game, Cracking trips. Love NYC. I wouldn’t let whats happening stateside influence my travel plans unless its a complete sh*t show.

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:27pm
Sounds like rubbish. The players can’t even go to Wembley without there being an outbreak in camp; don’t mind the States on a commercial jet. There’s no value to a promoter having us go over there unless there is a crowd and last couple of trips has attracted very small Irish attendees from over there when crowds were permitted

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Sounds like rubbish. The players can’t even go to Wembley without there being an outbreak in camp; don’t mind the States on a commercial jet. There’s no value to a promoter having us go over there unless there is a crowd and last couple of trips has attracted very small Irish attendees from over there when crowds were permitted
they want bums on seats. Last time the place was filled with Mexican bums, some of them very fine. Money made. 

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:53pm

was out in 2019 with wallsy for the Mayo game and in 2017 for the mexico game, Cracking trips. Love NYC. I wouldn’t let whats happening stateside influence my travel plans unless its a complete sh*t show.

Manhattan is a different world to what's happening at the moment.   Sham is right.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 12:23am

Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

I’ll clarify that im referring to the Mexico game in 2017 in NJ and not the previous tour. Embarrassed 

Ah, right. I forgot about that. Anyway, I'd say June is very doubtful but you might be OK for August

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 1:53pm
Can't see this happening unless things drastically improve. If it did, it like to see Kenny leave the majority of senior players at home and bring a load of the young lads...Kelleher, Collins, Parrot, Knight, etc 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 2:22pm
and maybe have a video showing the history between Mexico and Ireland 😀😀

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: TheNumber6
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

and maybe have a video showing the history between Mexico and Ireland 😀😀

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Posted By: TheMightyQuinn
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 2:59pm
lol only so many times I can watch Aldo blowing a gasket!

If they’re going to NA, might as well come to Toronto and see Alphonso Davies in the flesh!! 

-------------
You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 12:48pm
We were due to play Austria and someone else in a Friendly last year.

England were also supposed to play Austria in Vienna but that's now going to be played at Wembely.
Wonder if we'd play them in England in a neutral venue.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:24am
Any further update on this or given the current situation around Covid waves are the FAI leaving it until as late as possible before confirming ? 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:37am
With the u21s going to Spain in June for a tournament maybe the seniors will go with them for the training camp also.

Posted By: wanderer
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 1:57pm
9 day training camp in Spain.

Playing Andorra & Hungary 

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

9 day training camp in Spain.

Playing Andorra & Hungary 

What's this then??

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 2:19pm
That would have been a lovely trip!

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

A trip to Dublin would be lovely at this stage.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 2:39pm
The first week of September we have three massive games. 

The EFL doesn't start till the 3rd week of September I think. I would suspect match fitness is going to be a massive concern for these games.

We need as many friendlies as possible.

Posted By: Fanny MaGee
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 3:06pm
The 2021/22 EFL season starts 7 August.

-------------
Ask MaGee

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Fanny MaGee Fanny MaGee wrote:

The 2021/22 EFL season starts 7 August.

Ahh.. defeated by facts again... yes, of course you are right

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 3:20pm
Not that I believe he will get sacked, nor should he, but if he does, it would surely have to be before these games.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

LOLLOL

Must've taken some will to type that sentence. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 10:11pm
It's a ridiculous question but assuming everything was fine covid/travel wise in June, would there be attendances at these games or played behind closed doors anyway? 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

LOLLOL

Desperate the things a year of lockdowns will do to you. LOL

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 7:28am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

LOLLOL

It was an extreme joke. I would take fifty years of lockdowns as long as I don't have to go back.LOL

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Fanny MaGee
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 11:24am
Playing Andorra 3rd June in Andorra. Hungary 8 June venue TBC. Camp will probably be in Salou, couple of trips to Portaventura should sort morale out.

-------------
Ask MaGee

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Fanny MaGee Fanny MaGee wrote:

Playing Andorra 3rd June in Andorra. Hungary 8 June venue TBC. Camp will probably be in Salou, couple of trips to Portaventura should sort morale out.
Would have been a lovely tripCry

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 12:07pm
Sickened

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 12:08pm
To be fair I think if we hadn't got all these restrictions they'd have probably been off to the US instead.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 12:19pm
don’t think the purse strings would stretch that far 

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 12:27pm

Jonathan Hill/Jonathan Hall Mr. Ketchup/Catsup has been spotted fundraising in Dublin today.
Mr Hill-Hall was on O'Connell Bridge and O'Connell Street asking for 2 euro for a hostel.

All proceeds to the June trip

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Jonathan Hill/Jonathan Hall Mr. Ketchup/Catsup has been spotted fundraising in Dublin today.
Mr Hill-Hall was on O'Connell Bridge and O'Connell Street asking for 2 euro for a hostel.

All proceeds to the June trip

LOLLOL

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 2:52pm
Presuming the squad for these games will be named next week 

-------------

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 3:18pm
Some names id like to see in there:

Odubeko
Kelleher
Bazunu
Jack Byrne if he’s fit
Ryan Manning
Omabamidele 
Idah 
Ogbene
Anthony Scully

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 3:36pm
Jamie McGrath is the inform Irish player at the moment . He deserves a Camm 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Jamie McGrath is the inform Irish player at the moment . He deserves a Camm 
Yeah him and Scully should be involved.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Some names id like to see in there:

Odubeko
Kelleher
Bazunu
Jack Byrne if he’s fit
Ryan Manning
Omabamidele 
Idah 
Ogbene
Anthony Scully

The players we haven’t seen play for Ireland/in any squads recently  that I’d like to see. 

Scully
Shodipo
Obafemi 
Odubeko
Smallbone
McGrath 
Omobamidele 
Collins
McNamara 
Bagan
Kelleher

Kelleher perhaps the standout of players I want to see I am one of his biggest fans he’s just fun to watch with his passing ability. He has a huge ceiling. 

Do we think Jamie McGrath ends up at another club and where does he end up if the case? He’s another interesting one. 

Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 4:38pm
Bagan and Smallbone are injured. Odubeko is clearly not happening, for whatever reason people want to prescribe.

Can't disagree much about the rest.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Bagan and Smallbone are injured. Odubeko is clearly not happening, for whatever reason people want to prescribe.

Can't disagree much about the rest.

Will the first two be fit by next month is the question? 

Odubeko I agree don’t think he’s declaring for us have resigned myself to thinking he’s bonus territory but doesn’t stop me from wanting to see it be it the senior team or the 21s. 

It’s an odd situation if it was Nigeria I’d genuinely wish him every success native country he’s home produced by us still a positive but England it’s odd not to mention the fact that his chances of playing for England are remote.

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 8:27pm
Odubeko will be back when he's older unless he turns out to be absolutely outstanding. Moyes reluctance to play him all year despite a shortage of strikers suggests that he's not.

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Presuming the squad for these games will be named next week 

Next Monday, I would have thought, though that would only give them a week before camp starts.

Posted By: ProudAndLoud
Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 12:15am
My bet is Randolph won't be in it

Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 9:03am
Matches confirmed for Barcelona and Budapest

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/andorra-hungary-friendly-matches-confirmed" rel="nofollow - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/andorra-hungary-friendly-matches-confirmed

Andorra game is a 5pm Irish time KO ffs

-------------

Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 10:56am
I see the mass calloffs have started already, and the squad isn't even due to be named until next week. Browne, Stevens, O'Dowda, Hendrick, Clark, Brady and Kevin Long not expected to be there. 

Plenty of space opening up for the likes of Scully, Manning, McGrath and others to be brought in hopefully.

Posted By: GaretFarellysNutSack
Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 11:40am
Does Hendrick even play football any more?

Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 11:54am
Hendrick in the squad lastnight and didn't get a game, if he does pull out Kenny can f**k him off anyway. Not sure where these rumours are coming from though.

Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 12:44pm
He can pull out all he likes, he won't be missed. Give other lads a chance. 

-------------

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 1:20pm
Where are the rumours of players not being involved coming from?

Also to answer the question above Hendrick came on against Leicester last week but has mostly been warming the bench.

I agree it would be nice to see some of the younger players given a go too

Posted By: Heimatklange
Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I see the mass calloffs have started already, and the squad isn't even due to be named until next week. Browne, Stevens, O'Dowda, Hendrick, Clark, Brady and Kevin Long not expected to be there. 

Plenty of space opening up for the likes of Scully, Manning, McGrath and others to be brought in hopefully.
Are any of the above players really a big miss? Browne and Stevens probably, the rest are likely bench players (at best) going forward.

There is a real opportunity here for Kenny to draw a line in the sand with the older guard here. The perma-crocked Brady and the "what does he even do?" Hendrick are two players in particular that we need to move on from. I hope Kenny doesn't blow this opportunity by relying on the older players who been found so wanting.

Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Surely we couldn't lose to Andorra, whatever team we put out. 

LOL

Have you blanked Luxembourg from your memory. After that result It'll be a long time before I make presumptions about an Ireland result ahead of the game

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 1:35pm
Hendrick I think has been our best midfielder in the Premier League in terms of goals scored and minutes on the pitch. 10 years ago those stats would put him as one of the worst Irish midfielders. 20 years ago he would be a squad player. 30 years ago he would be a 1-2 capped player at best. 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 2:03pm

Bet you were saying that about the home match v Luxembourg before it started. LOL

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 2:04pm
Andorra surely won't have a player who played Champions League football this season.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Andorra surely won't have a player who played Champions League football this season.
Maybe but even so, I'm not going to take anything for granted. 

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Bet you were saying that about the home match v Luxembourg before it started. LOL
I think Brick said something on the lines that we could drop points before the Lux game Lamp

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 2:32pm

I won’t begrudge Kevin long a breather.

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Hendrick I think has been our best midfielder in the Premier League in terms of goals scored and minutes on the pitch. 10 years ago those stats would put him as one of the worst Irish midfielders. 20 years ago he would be a squad player. 30 years ago he would be a 1-2 capped player at best. 

This is all very true. But what purpose are you serving making the point? I don't get this type of comment sometimes. Do we have a divine right to better or something? 

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 21 May 2021 at 8:16am

Players have endured a tough, troublesome season with relegation, first-team football worries, injuries, covid, international embarrassment and the rest. So what better way to whet motivation than a nine-day training camp in Spain for two meaningless friendlies - under the guidance of a hitherto clueless manager and his revolving-door backroom staff. Why not throw in a long weekend in Gaza. 

We should just give up instead. Will save money in the short term..

Date Posted: 21 May 2021 at 10:55am
Will be a great time to get a first win under his belt.

For the Andorra manager

-------------

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:20am
The following have been named as unlikely for this camp so am just proposing replacements...no real science to it.

Browne - Johannson, sure lets go mad!
Stevens - Macnamara (he play on the same side?)
O'Dowda - Scully
Hendrick - Taylor
Clark - Omabamidele
Brady - Connell/Noss/Watson
Kevin Long - McGuinness

Now I appreciate there's some mad names here but I am seeing this camp as a way to just bring a few lads in, have em train with the seniors, get a feel for the camp and for Kenny.
The 21's have a huge pool to pick from and no harm bringing up a few lads to the seniors for the experience and the 2a's can still be stacked with talent.

Having said that, the 21's have three tough games so maybe better to leave those lads there for now.

Anyway, as I said, just pontificating!

Date Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

The following have been named as unlikely for this camp so am just proposing replacements...no real science to it.

O'Dowda - Scully
Hendrick - Taylor
Clark - Omabamidele
Kevin Long - McGuinness

Now I appreciate there's some mad names here but I am seeing this camp as a way to just bring a few lads in, have em train with the seniors, get a feel for the camp and for Kenny.
The 21's have a huge pool to pick from and no harm bringing up a few lads to the seniors for the experience and the 2a's can still be stacked with talent.

Having said that, the 21's have three tough games so maybe better to leave those lads there for now.

So basically anyone who's dual-eligible?

We should call up Paddy McGuinness, Steve Coogan and Morrissey as well.

It wouldn't make any less sense than calling up lads like Louie Watson.

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:58am

Players have endured a tough, troublesome season with relegation, first-team football worries, injuries, covid, international embarrassment and the rest. So what better way to whet motivation than a nine-day training camp in Spain for two meaningless friendlies - under the guidance of a hitherto clueless manager and his revolving-door backroom staff. Why not throw in a long weekend in Gaza. 
LOL Very good Brick

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:59am

O'Dowda - Scully
Hendrick - Taylor
Clark - Omabamidele
Kevin Long - McGuinness

We should call up Paddy McGuinness, Steve Coogan and Morrissey as well.

It wouldn't make any less sense than calling up lads like Louie Watson.

He looked at the squad and said surely 'deres more to oireland dan dis?'

Morrissey would be a bad influence in the dressing room.  All he would be doing is moaning and talking about wanting to die.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 May 2021 at 12:07pm
Mcnamara is a right sided player, I've not seen him out on the left at all. Not saying he can't play there but his natural position seems to be right back/right wing back.

Date Posted: 21 May 2021 at 12:35pm

No, I never even considered that.
Sure there's multiple lads on the seniors who are dual-eligible so it's a non-issue.
We have Cullen, McCarthy, McClean, O'Dowda, Clark, Bazunu, Doherty, Collins, Robinson....could go on, so your point is irrelevant.

I picked the names based on either their possible talents or proven abilities.

Date Posted: 21 May 2021 at 12:40pm

O'Dowda - Scully
Hendrick - Taylor
Clark - Omabamidele
Kevin Long - McGuinness

Browne I’d be keeping in the squad. Hard not to. 

McNamara I would be looking at one of Millwalls best players only 22 on the way up. Should be 3rd choice RB at Christie’s expense if we are using foresight.

Scully for sure if he isn’t too busy getting promoted in the meantime. The play offs go into 31st May/June. 

Taylor I’d be looking at too. Omobamidele it depends I’d definitely be keeping at least 2 of Omobamidele McGuinness and Collins with the 21s. Don’t forget John Egan is back too and while Duffy has been hideous football didn’t start last season he’s a seasoned member of the squad and deserves a squad place. 

Connell/Noss/Watson Knight and Smallbone I’d have ahead of those 3 as it stands. 

Date Posted: 21 May 2021 at 12:47pm

No, I never even considered that.
Sure there's multiple lads on the seniors who are dual-eligible so it's a non-issue.
We have Cullen, McCarthy, McClean, O'Dowda, Clark, Bazunu, Doherty, Collins, Robinson....could go on, so your point is irrelevant.

I picked the names based on either their possible talents or proven abilities.

Connell is playing in the fourth tier of Scottish football!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 May 2021 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

McNamara I would be looking at one of Millwalls best players only 22 on the way up. Should be 3rd choice RB at Christie’s expense if we are using foresight.

Scully for sure if he isn’t too busy getting promoted in the meantime. The play offs go into 31st May/June. 

Taylor I’d be looking at too. Omobamidele it depends I’d definitely be keeping at least 2 of Omobamidele McGuinness and Collins with the 21s. Don’t forget John Egan is back too and while Duffy has been hideous football didn’t start last season he’s a seasoned member of the squad and deserves a squad place. 

Connell/Noss/Watson Knight and Smallbone I’d have ahead of those 3 as it stands. 

Browne is injured....I'm not advocating anyone be removed from the squad.
Smallbone is also injured and not in contention while Knight is now an established senior, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm also not suggesting any of the lads I named should be in any competitive squad.  But this is an end-of-season friendly camp and there will be a slew of absentees so why not bring some new lads in for the experience.

Date Posted: 21 May 2021 at 1:45pm

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Browne is injured....I'm not advocating anyone be removed from the squad.
Smallbone is also injured and not in contention while Knight is now an established senior, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm also not suggesting any of the lads I named should be in any competitive squad.  But this is an end-of-season friendly camp and there will be a slew of absentees so why not bring some new lads in for the experience.

Is he? Didn’t realise that apologies. 

Yeah fair enough it’s an experimental squad/camp. Should be trying to introduce as many faces as possible. The level of depth at 21s is pretty strong so we can afford to bring in one of Collins Omobamidele and McGuinness for example and still have the other two playing 21s not to mention the likes of Garcia McNulty or even Lawal at Watford coming on too. Could even be other candidates I can’t think of. 

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 21 May 2021 at 1:53pm
Anyone know if spectators are being permitted to the game in Barcelona?
 As The Government of Spain has announced that visitors from the United Kingdom will be able to enter the country from this coming Monday 24th May 2021. The UK has been added to the list of safe countries for leisure and travel purposes. Handy for those that fly from UK airports.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 21 May 2021 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Anyone know if spectators are being permitted to the game in Barcelona?
 As The Government of Spain has announced that visitors from the United Kingdom will be able to enter the country from this coming Monday 24th May 2021. The UK has been added to the list of safe countries for leisure and travel purposes. Handy for those that fly from UK airports.
I was wondering this myself. With the u21s games it said behind closed doors in the announcement but there was nothing about that for the senior games.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:34pm

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:38pm
Delighted to see McGrath and Obamemdele get a call, very much there on merit. Danny Mandriou is an interesting call. He's had a very good start to the season. Can't say I know too much about Ogbene, vaguely remember him playing in the LOI.

-------------

Posted By: djhegzy
where did all our players go Unhappy

Posted By: horsebox
https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1396805107828805632/photo/1" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1396805107828805632/photo/1

Pic won't upload.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:44pm
Why bring McClean, Coleman,Arter and Randolph

Should of have gave some of the younger players a chance

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:44pm
As weak a squad as I've ever seen us put out. 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:47pm
Great to see some of the lads in the squad but that is absolutely grim, by far the weakest squad I’ve ever seen announced. 

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Why bring McClean, Coleman,Arter and Randolph

Should of have gave some of the younger players a chance

There needs to be some form of a spine. As much of a no-mark as these games are, Kenny is in the unfortunate position of getting nothing by winning both, but suffering from a heap of extra pressure if he was to lose both, or draw with Andorra or something like that. Even if he wins these game the pressure remains the same. Anything less and its more negative comment, its more lost faith, and its more trouble facing into the WCQs in the autumn.

Date Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:50pm
Easily the weakest Ireland squad since the infamous Staunton US tour in 2007. 

Some of the surprise call ups can't have been picked on form, Kenny clearly has his favourites.

While there were obviously going to be a lot of changes with this squad, a lot of the replacements have not merited their callups.

Just another pointer to the fact that the manager is way out of his depth unfortunately. Honestly it reads like some clickbait journo at balls.ie or Pundit Arena picked the squad.

And there will probably be more calloffs to come so who knows who else he might have his eye on.

Date Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:54pm

Some of the surprise call ups can't have been picked on form, Kenny clearly has his favourites.

While there were obviously going to be a lot of changes with this squad, a lot of the replacements have not merited their callups.

Just another pointer to the fact that the manager is way out of his depth unfortunately.

Who has he left out that available that you think he should have picked?

Date Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:54pm

Just another pointer to the fact that the manager is way out of his depth unfortunately.

Like who? These are exactly the type of games to look at 4 new caps 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Mcnamara, Obafemi and Scully are three that instantly come to mind who, as far as I know, are fit and available. It's also unclear which O'Connor he has selected, but if it's Lee then he has picked the wrong one.

Date Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:04pm

Mcnamara, Obafemi and Scully are three that instantly come to mind who, as far as I know, are fit and available. It's also unclear which O'Connor he has selected, but if it's Lee then he has picked the wrong one.

Call ups picked on form? are you joking?

Date Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:05pm

Yeah, agree with that. They might want all three with the u21s first though. (Edit - actually scully and mcnamara no longer qualify)

I think Scully if definitely a better shout than Horgan who has been frozen out of a terrible wycombe team.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net