You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Summer Friendlies/Training Camp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 44>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Players have endured a tough, troublesome season with relegation, first-team football worries, injuries, covid, international embarrassment and the rest. So what better way to whet motivation than a nine-day training camp in Spain for two meaningless friendlies - under the guidance of a hitherto clueless manager and his revolving-door backroom staff. Why not throw in a long weekend in Gaza. 

We should just give up instead. Will save money in the short term..
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 10:55am
Will be a great time to get a first win under his belt.

For the Andorra manager
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:20am
The following have been named as unlikely for this camp so am just proposing replacements...no real science to it.

Browne - Johannson, sure lets go mad!
Stevens - Macnamara (he play on the same side?)
O'Dowda - Scully
Hendrick - Taylor
Clark - Omabamidele
Brady - Connell/Noss/Watson
Kevin Long - McGuinness

Now I appreciate there's some mad names here but I am seeing this camp as a way to just bring a few lads in, have em train with the seniors, get a feel for the camp and for Kenny.
The 21's have a huge pool to pick from and no harm bringing up a few lads to the seniors for the experience and the 2a's can still be stacked with talent.

Having said that, the 21's have three tough games so maybe better to leave those lads there for now.

Anyway, as I said, just pontificating!

Edited by Fozz - 21 May 2021 at 11:23am
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

The following have been named as unlikely for this camp so am just proposing replacements...no real science to it.

O'Dowda - Scully
Hendrick - Taylor
Clark - Omabamidele
Kevin Long - McGuinness

Now I appreciate there's some mad names here but I am seeing this camp as a way to just bring a few lads in, have em train with the seniors, get a feel for the camp and for Kenny.
The 21's have a huge pool to pick from and no harm bringing up a few lads to the seniors for the experience and the 2a's can still be stacked with talent.

Having said that, the 21's have three tough games so maybe better to leave those lads there for now.

So basically anyone who's dual-eligible?

We should call up Paddy McGuinness, Steve Coogan and Morrissey as well.

It wouldn't make any less sense than calling up lads like Louie Watson.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 21 May 2021 at 11:57am
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Players have endured a tough, troublesome season with relegation, first-team football worries, injuries, covid, international embarrassment and the rest. So what better way to whet motivation than a nine-day training camp in Spain for two meaningless friendlies - under the guidance of a hitherto clueless manager and his revolving-door backroom staff. Why not throw in a long weekend in Gaza. 
LOL Very good Brick
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

O'Dowda - Scully
Hendrick - Taylor
Clark - Omabamidele
Kevin Long - McGuinness

We should call up Paddy McGuinness, Steve Coogan and Morrissey as well.

It wouldn't make any less sense than calling up lads like Louie Watson.

He looked at the squad and said surely 'deres more to oireland dan dis?'

Morrissey would be a bad influence in the dressing room.  All he would be doing is moaning and talking about wanting to die.

Edited by Trap junior - 21 May 2021 at 12:00pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 12:07pm
Mcnamara is a right sided player, I've not seen him out on the left at all. Not saying he can't play there but his natural position seems to be right back/right wing back.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 12:35pm

No, I never even considered that.
Sure there's multiple lads on the seniors who are dual-eligible so it's a non-issue.
We have Cullen, McCarthy, McClean, O'Dowda, Clark, Bazunu, Doherty, Collins, Robinson....could go on, so your point is irrelevant.

I picked the names based on either their possible talents or proven abilities.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 12:40pm

O'Dowda - Scully
Hendrick - Taylor
Clark - Omabamidele
Kevin Long - McGuinness

Browne I’d be keeping in the squad. Hard not to. 

McNamara I would be looking at one of Millwalls best players only 22 on the way up. Should be 3rd choice RB at Christie’s expense if we are using foresight.

Scully for sure if he isn’t too busy getting promoted in the meantime. The play offs go into 31st May/June. 

Taylor I’d be looking at too. Omobamidele it depends I’d definitely be keeping at least 2 of Omobamidele McGuinness and Collins with the 21s. Don’t forget John Egan is back too and while Duffy has been hideous football didn’t start last season he’s a seasoned member of the squad and deserves a squad place. 

Connell/Noss/Watson Knight and Smallbone I’d have ahead of those 3 as it stands. 

Edited by kevin100 - 21 May 2021 at 12:42pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 12:47pm

No, I never even considered that.
Sure there's multiple lads on the seniors who are dual-eligible so it's a non-issue.
We have Cullen, McCarthy, McClean, O'Dowda, Clark, Bazunu, Doherty, Collins, Robinson....could go on, so your point is irrelevant.

I picked the names based on either their possible talents or proven abilities.

Connell is playing in the fourth tier of Scottish football!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

McNamara I would be looking at one of Millwalls best players only 22 on the way up. Should be 3rd choice RB at Christie’s expense if we are using foresight.

Scully for sure if he isn’t too busy getting promoted in the meantime. The play offs go into 31st May/June. 

Taylor I’d be looking at too. Omobamidele it depends I’d definitely be keeping at least 2 of Omobamidele McGuinness and Collins with the 21s. Don’t forget John Egan is back too and while Duffy has been hideous football didn’t start last season he’s a seasoned member of the squad and deserves a squad place. 

Connell/Noss/Watson Knight and Smallbone I’d have ahead of those 3 as it stands. 

Browne is injured....I'm not advocating anyone be removed from the squad.
Smallbone is also injured and not in contention while Knight is now an established senior, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm also not suggesting any of the lads I named should be in any competitive squad.  But this is an end-of-season friendly camp and there will be a slew of absentees so why not bring some new lads in for the experience.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 1:45pm

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Browne is injured....I'm not advocating anyone be removed from the squad.
Smallbone is also injured and not in contention while Knight is now an established senior, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm also not suggesting any of the lads I named should be in any competitive squad.  But this is an end-of-season friendly camp and there will be a slew of absentees so why not bring some new lads in for the experience.

Is he? Didn’t realise that apologies. 

Yeah fair enough it’s an experimental squad/camp. Should be trying to introduce as many faces as possible. The level of depth at 21s is pretty strong so we can afford to bring in one of Collins Omobamidele and McGuinness for example and still have the other two playing 21s not to mention the likes of Garcia McNulty or even Lawal at Watford coming on too. Could even be other candidates I can’t think of. 

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 1:53pm
Anyone know if spectators are being permitted to the game in Barcelona?
 As The Government of Spain has announced that visitors from the United Kingdom will be able to enter the country from this coming Monday 24th May 2021. The UK has been added to the list of safe countries for leisure and travel purposes. Handy for those that fly from UK airports.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Anyone know if spectators are being permitted to the game in Barcelona?
 As The Government of Spain has announced that visitors from the United Kingdom will be able to enter the country from this coming Monday 24th May 2021. The UK has been added to the list of safe countries for leisure and travel purposes. Handy for those that fly from UK airports.
I was wondering this myself. With the u21s games it said behind closed doors in the announcement but there was nothing about that for the senior games.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:34pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:38pm
Delighted to see McGrath and Obamemdele get a call, very much there on merit. Danny Mandriou is an interesting call. He's had a very good start to the season. Can't say I know too much about Ogbene, vaguely remember him playing in the LOI.

Edited by zizu Kilbane - 24 May 2021 at 1:38pm
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:38pm
where did all our players go Unhappy
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:38pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 44>
  Share Topic