You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 115>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 11:02am
Also, I recall people used call Dublin the 'Manchester United of the GAA'. Tyrone had a whiff of that wing of Celtic fans that cast themselves as victims of institutional and perceived bias, and as the institutional underdog even though they were hugely decorated. That mentality bugs me a lot.

The narrowing of the pitch in Omagh in 2018 was a good case in point.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 11:04am
That Tyrone team with Mugsy, Canavan, Stevie O'Neill and the McGuigans, McMahons were great to watch. Those games against Armagh were epic. WOuldn't have liked the more recent Tyrone teams but no hate against them.
Maybe it's the supporters? I always thought Donegal disliked Derry the most anyhow.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Also, I recall people used call Dublin the 'Manchester United of the GAA'. Tyrone had a whiff of that wing of Celtic fans that cast themselves as victims of institutional and perceived bias, and as the institutional underdog even though they were hugely decorated. That mentality bugs me a lot.

Hardly the worst crime in the world, maximising your chances of winning when your opponent is playing a very rare away game
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Hardly the worst crime in the world, maximising your chances of winning when your opponent is playing a very rare away game

No, but there was fingers pointed elsewhere, including causing Sky Sports to issue more than one statement indicating that they didnt request the narrowing. My point is that it was somebody else's issue.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 11:33am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

That Tyrone team with Mugsy, Canavan, Stevie O'Neill and the McGuigans, McMahons were great to watch. Those games against Armagh were epic. WOuldn't have liked the more recent Tyrone teams but no hate against them.
Maybe it's the supporters? I always thought Donegal disliked Derry the most anyhow.
Their support definitely don't help themselves especially for big matches when they often seem to attract an unsavoury e
crowd of scrotebags looking for the excuse for a day out on the drink and think it's ok to behave like England fans on an away trip and who would struggle to name a single player on the team.

I was in Dublin a few years ago for a Liverpool pre-season match at Lansdowne on the same day that Tyrone were playing Armagh at Croke Park. When I arrived at Connolly Station after the match for the train home, I could sense an ugly atmosphere (which had a feel of that angry 'everyone' s against us' mentality that another poster has referred to) and sure enough, a fight broke out between Tyrone and Armagh 'fans' onboard the train as it approached Drogheda. Thumbs Down

I also remember being in Clones for the 1994 Ulster Final between Tyrone and Down. Again, Tyrone 'fans' were getting on people's nerves, even singing in the grounds of the church while there was a mass in progress inside. Several older Tyrone fans were apologising to us for it saying how disgusted and embarrassed they were. On the way home that evening, my parents remarked that that was the most uncomfortable they had ever felt and we've been to loads of GAA matches against other counties. 

Edited by ConorMac77 - 10 Aug 2021 at 11:38am
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Micky harte’s style of football and management is the main reason.

Jim McGuinness' style was worse, but he and Donegal were lauded
McGuinness was a lot more likeable in my opinion. Harte is a bellend. Religious nutjob that was vocal in the No vote to Abortion, won't speak to RTE because of some reporting around the time of his daughter's murder. 

Wouldn't say I hate Tyrone much, as a Cork person we never really crossed much in sporting terms. Actually I don't think I've ever known someone from Tyrone, whereas I'd have mates from Mayo, Donegal, Kerry and any other football county.

Apart from Canavan in their underdog days, they don't have any players I ever wanted to watch, in the same way as a Conor McManus, Michal Murphy etc.

And finally, Sean Kavanagh's foul on McManus all those years ago when he was beaten, that's not a type of football I can ever get behind. It was the adult equivalent of "it's my ball, I'm going home"

No, It was a segment on the John Murray show where he took the piss out of Harte supposedly asking for anything on the Dalai Lama. 

Harte visited the Dalai Lama previously while he was trying to cope with his daughters death. 

It was completely out of order trivializing the man's grief like that. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

That’s a seriously lazy statement. In 2011 the style of play was poor at times especially against Dublin but in 2012 onwards it was completely different and much more attacking. Just look at the big scores put up in 2012 and that performance in 2014 against Dublin in particular. 
Poor at times in 2011? Donegal had 14 men behind the ball the final score was 8-6 to Dublin. Donegal actually managed to get the whole country shouting for Dublin that day because of that tactic it was usually Dublin against the 31 other counties but not that day.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

That’s a seriously lazy statement. In 2011 the style of play was poor at times especially against Dublin but in 2012 onwards it was completely different and much more attacking. Just look at the big scores put up in 2012 and that performance in 2014 against Dublin in particular. 
Poor at times in 2011? Donegal had 14 men behind the ball the final score was 8-6 to Dublin. Donegal actually managed to get the whole country shouting for Dublin that day because of that tactic it was usually Dublin against the 31 other counties but not that day.
And that wasn't a new development either - it had been going on several years earlier with other counties such as Armagh and Tyrone (yep, them again! LOL) when Pat Spillane famously referred to it as 'puke football'. 

Edited by ConorMac77 - 10 Aug 2021 at 11:42am
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 11:46am

Yes poor at times with most people basing it one one game. But if you cast your memory back to the game before that against Kildare I’m sure a lot of people will admit it was one of the most exciting games they have seen. Again using the narrative of terrible football is just pure lazy under McGuinness when it was much more attacking than a lot of team’s.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:16pm
'Give a man a reputation....' and all that. On the basis of that 70 minutes it would have been a travesty had Donegal made the final in 2011. But in truth that was once off, and was clearly game specific. Donegal under-sold themselves that day, and resulted them in being second best throughout, even against 14 men.

However, it would be unfair to focus on that, and they really upped their game, and were a far more open team, having learned a lesson, and the first 10 minutes of the 2012 AI Final was some of the most breathtaking and effective football seen in the last decade. And they out-foxed Dublin well in 2014 hitting from distance, and taking a leaf out of the 2012 Mayo Book.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Why does everyone hate Tyrone?

Years of working in the pub in Donegal and their supporters would come in after matches and cause trouble and generally be pig ignorant. My auld man hates them from the 70s when their supporters were throwing glass bottles at Donegal fans. Anyone I know from a fellow Ulster county would support any of the Ulster counties against a county from the rest of the country unless it's Tyrone! Aprat from Cavan/Monaghan and Armagh/Down that is
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:29pm

Were Donegal good to watch in 2011, No. Did they play to their strengths at the time and develop a plan which won them an All Ireland in the same period, Yes. Do they care what others thought of their style of play, I highly doubt it as every team tries to play to their strengths to win.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Nah there isn't that big a rivalry with Derry anymore. Maybe more so in the 90s. I still despise Joe Brolly for braking my heart with his last minute goal in the 98 final on my birthday...CryLOL
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Why does everyone hate Tyrone?

Been up in Omagh plenty of times for Mayo matches and in general I've never had any issue with them.  
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

McGuinness was a lot more likeable in my opinion. Harte is a bellend. Religious nutjob that was vocal in the No vote to Abortion, won't speak to RTE because of some reporting around the time of his daughter's murder. 

Wouldn't say I hate Tyrone much, as a Cork person we never really crossed much in sporting terms. Actually I don't think I've ever known someone from Tyrone, whereas I'd have mates from Mayo, Donegal, Kerry and any other football county.

Apart from Canavan in their underdog days, they don't have any players I ever wanted to watch, in the same way as a Conor McManus, Michal Murphy etc.

And finally, Sean Kavanagh's foul on McManus all those years ago when he was beaten, that's not a type of football I can ever get behind. It was the adult equivalent of "it's my ball, I'm going home"

No, It was a segment on the John Murray show where he took the piss out of Harte supposedly asking for anything on the Dalai Lama. 

Harte visited the Dalai Lama previously while he was trying to cope with his daughters death. 

It was completely out of order trivializing the man's grief like that. 

Does anyone think that John Murray was taking the piss out of someone for losing their daughter through murder.  Murray was out of work after that with mental health issues as a result. I find it impossible to believe there was any nasty intention on behalf of the show.  

The intent of the joke was Harte interfering in the appointment of gaa roles in Rte. 

Edited by Baldrick - 10 Aug 2021 at 12:53pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 1:15pm
Plenty of grumbling amongst Tyrone heads about the one week postponement. I think they are fortunate to be facilitated that way, to be honest. 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 1:40pm

'Give a man a reputation....' and all that. On the basis of that 70 minutes it would have been a travesty had Donegal made the final in 2011. But in truth that was once off, and was clearly game specific. Donegal under-sold themselves that day, and resulted them in being second best throughout, even against 14 men.

However, it would be unfair to focus on that, and they really upped their game, and were a far more open team, having learned a lesson, and the first 10 minutes of the 2012 AI Final was some of the most breathtaking and effective football seen in the last decade. And they out-foxed Dublin well in 2014 hitting from distance, and taking a leaf out of the 2012 Mayo Book.
Yep agree with some of that for sure! Like at one point in the second half Donegal actually led and had they pushed on they might have won it as it was a day when a point was as good as a goal. Donegal deserved to win in 2014 but they rode their luck in the first half as Dublin missed some goal chances that could have had the game over before half time.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 4:00pm
Tickets went on general sale there. Virtually no no notice given, just pot luck if you happened to be online at the time and come across it. Absolutely ridiculous from the GAA. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 115>
  Share Topic