You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2022 World Cup Qualifiers Group A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 52>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:30pm
The YBIG fans team has better options in Midfield.
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:31pm
Some good but mostly bad here.

Randolf and Brady out adds up and sends a signal that if you are not playing, you can get dropped.

But then we get mixed signals with Arter in.
Makes no sense...is he still a professional footballer?  What does he need to do to get excluded?
Molumby too...himself and Hourihane & Hendrick all with next to no games bar some 2nd tier cup.

I accept we need some people to make up the squad but Gavin Kilkenny can feel hard done-by.
But then I guess he doesn't have that much-vaunted experience and he won't be getting any either just yet.

Cullen/Hendrick/Hourihane has to be our starting 3 in the middle next week.
Progression and a mind on the 2024 campaign indeed.

Thankfully the defenders list is very stong as they will all need to be on their game as whenever they give the ball to the midfield, it's coming right back to them.

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:32pm
what will Portugal do to us!!!!
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

The Arter pick is absolutely f*cking mind boggling!

you said that on the last page too - he was in the camp in the summer and they used that time to prep for these games.. it makes sense to have continuity in that way.. 

it's understandable that people would like to see someone like Kilkenny get a call up because he's had a few good games and because we haven't been good in midfield for ages, but he wasn't in the training camp for these 3 games and may be better off playing the 2 games for the U21s and maybe coming in to the senior squad next month when we know for sure a play-off is out of reach (i.e it has become mathematically impossible)

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:33pm
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:34pm
What about the Peterborough player..Smozidcs? Arter and Hourhaine in the squad makes me want to vomit
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:35pm
4 out of 6 of that midfield not playing a minute for their clubs, the other 2 play for St. Mirren and Anderlecht. Harry Arter played 6 minutes of football in 2021. 

I’ve backed Kenny since the start and will continue to but he has to pick Kilkenny. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

you said that on the last page too - he was in the camp in the summer and they used that time to prep for these games.. it makes sense to have continuity in that way.. 

it's understandable that people would like to see someone like Kilkenny get a call up because he's had a few good games and because we haven't been good in midfield for ages, but he wasn't in the training camp for these 3 games and may be better off playing the 2 games for the U21s and maybe coming in to the senior squad next month when we know for sure a play-off is out of reach (i.e it has become mathematically impossible)

Playoff we won’t be in the same sentence as one of those for at least 4 years
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:36pm
When you look at who is actually playing football at the moment it just looks worse the further up the pitch you go

Kelleher - not playing 
Bazunu - Playing 
Travers - Playing 

Coleman  - Playing 
Doherty - not playing 
Egan - Playing
Mcclean  - hmm I'll say Playing but needed to drop down a league
Oshea - Playing 
Manning - Playing 
Duffy - Playing 
Collins - not playing 
Omobamidele - not playing 

Molumby - not playing 
Arter - not playing 
Hourihane  - not playing 
Hendrick - not playing 
Cullen - Playing 
Mcgrath  - Playing 

Collins - playing 
Parrott - playing 
Idah - not playing 
Horgan - playing (just back from injury)
Connolly - not playing 
Long - not playing 
Curtis - playing 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Watched Kilkenny mid week v Norwich and he was absolutely hopeless, badly at fault for their third goal! Has a couple of decent games at the start of the season and the usual suspects who haven’t seen him play are angry he’s not in the squad. 

He was hopeless in tandem with most the team that was a team problem not a Kilkenny one! The Birmingham game I watched and the biggest compliment I can pay Kilkenny is Birmingham put most their efforts into stopping him play he was so influential in the first few games for them! 

I'd like to have seen him in the squad or anyone over Arter tbh who isn't playing! I wonder will you see one of O'Shea or Coleman step into midfield for any game? 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

Ah come off it. So because you had a 2 week summer training camp with Kenny your excused for playing no club football and horsed straight into the team? What if you had been scoring flat out preseason and begging of season and no summer training camp? Computer says no? From the outside it's a weird decision but obviously Kenny has his own plans..
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:40pm
Holy God looking at the squad on paper makes me want to cry Cry our midfield players, the lack of any real goalscorer...well proven goalscorer. You can't really justify picking Long right now. What about Hogan or Scully who at least is scoring. Were completely fooked for the foreseeable.
I love beer gardens
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:41pm
Presser for the squad annoucement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFK12U9qYII
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:53pm
I seem to be thinking this a lot over the last few years but that is surely one of our weakest ever squads for competitive games. The midfield is woeful.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I seem to be thinking this a lot over the last few years but that is surely one of our weakest ever squads for competitive games. The midfield is woeful.

I know exactly what you mean, and each squad announcement is worse than the last...

I'm still waiting for squad in which we say... hmm, that's not terrible.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:08pm
Has McCarthy finished or is he injured?

I'M assuming that's the squad for all three games? Would Robinson be available for Serbia maybe?

Edited by reddladd - 26 Aug 2021 at 2:09pm
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Has McCarthy finished or is he injured?

Injured. Kenny said the October games more than likely for him. Also said he had a discussion with him so still in the plans obviously 
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:52pm
That's an extremely poor squad but hard to think of who else was worthy of a call up. Kilkenny and Scully are probably the two who've been mentioned most on here but in all likelihood neither of them would have got near the pitch in either game.

We are crying out for a midfielder. The likes of Coventry, Johannson, Kilkenny, even some LOI players should be thinking if we can have a good year there is a position up for grabs in this team. No disrespect to Harry Arter but it's embarrassing having him in the squad, 6 mins of football in 2021 and career is sinking like a stone. We just literally have nobody else.

It's hard to be optimistic about any of these games with a midfield like that. Didn't realise Browne was injured. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 52>
  Share Topic