Posted By: gmfc90
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:44pm
Presume no fans for most of the qualifiers

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:46pm
Nice bar Serbia who could top it.
We look nailed on for 3rd and I'd take that if it comes with better football, players getting caps and experience and, of course, goals.

Obviously prefer to nick 2nd by beating one of the top 2 and other results going our way.

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:47pm
Not a bad group....I'm guessing Lux and Aze were two of the lowest ranked 4th and 5th seeds

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:47pm
Reasonably happy with that.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:48pm
do we have to top group to qualify or are we in line for a playoff spot from nations league 

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:48pm
couldn’t have asked for much better there at all. Hopefully we’ll get to the games now some great trips there. 

Posted By: wanderer
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

For March yeah probably.

You'd imagine come September that might have a good change of changing 

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

October or November I'd say before we might see away fans. Might be reduced capacity for the first few rounds depending on how things are going 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

do we have to top group to qualify or are we in line for a playoff spot from nations league 

2nd puts us into the playoffs. We won't be benefitting from other teams this time around to get into the playoffs

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: Four-Four-Two
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:51pm
not a bad group, certainly give us a fighting chance

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:53pm
Could do with Lux and Aze as out first two games

-------------

Posted By: Tyronebhoy
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:55pm
Happy enough with that. Hopefully we will be able to travel to all or some. Lisbon great city. Don't mind going back to Belgrade, though can do without the four visits by police in 3 days to check up on me LOL. Luxembourg a decent trip too. And Azerbaijan should be a real experience. Thank feck we didn't draw Georgia. Four trips to Tbilisi would have been bit much.

-------------
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All

Posted By: jimjims
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:56pm
Lovely stuff. Very positive group. Serbia still have a lot of talent but seen most of the Scotland game and that results give me confidence. 

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:57pm
not terrible, reasonably happy

Posted By: Bucks2020
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Nice bar Serbia who could top it.
We look nailed on for 3rd and I'd take that if it comes with better football, players getting caps and experience and, of course, goals.

Obviously prefer to nick 2nd by beating one of the top 2 and other results going our way.

Do we get a prize for coming 3rd?

If we were to finish any lower than third it would be an atrocity.

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by jimjims jimjims wrote:

Lovely stuff. Very positive group. Serbia still have a lot of talent but seen most of the Scotland game and that results give me confidence. 

Serbia are a bit better than us, but not by a vast amount.

Having said that, we are going to have to improve rapidly ourselves.....our current form is terrible.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Having said that, we are going to have to improve rapidly ourselves.....our current form is terrible.

This. In a nutshell.

Having said that, this is a nice group for a number of reasons. Over 30 years since we last met Lux, over twenty since we last met Portugal (in a competitive game), and never met Azerbaijan. I also think that Serbia are not the worst second seed we could have got.

Having said that, in our current form, particularly goalscoring, Serbia and Portugal will like the draw.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:07pm
I think another positive is it being a 5 team group we have space for 2 friendlies during the campaign.

I wonder what Oman are up to

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:10pm
Portugal and Serbia are delighted with this draw no doubt but it could have been a lot worse for us. 

Portugal don’t run teams over in qualifying and Serbia are well capable of getting a result or two off them. Are we who knows but we were not as bad as the results in the Nations League suggested for all the points return and lack of goals were brutal. 

Sets up very similar to the Euro 2020 qualifying group and if we got that win against Georgia we put ourselves in a spot where we would have been odds on to qualify. 

The Azerbaijan/Lux games are huge in that we must win them and if we do then we give ourselves a big chance after that who knows but you do your bread and butter first. 

Looking forward to the fixtures being announced now.

Posted By: GaretFarellysNutSack
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:13pm
Will Big Ron be playing for Portugal in this campaign I wonder? He might retire after the Euros. Bruno F seems to be able to come up with goals all the time too .

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:15pm
Listening to Ray Houghton on radio at the moment, sounds optimistic about the group though wary of Portugal for obvious reasons.

Posted By: avfc
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:16pm
Portugal and Serbia have a track record of being patchy and inconsistent in groups. The key for us will be to get 12 points from the 4 games against Aze and Lux. If we do that, we will have a real chance though obviously our lack of scoring power makes any win difficult right now. It's a near impossible ask for any Irish team to top a group but it's not beyond the bounds of possibility with this particular draw though the likelihood is we will be 3rd.
Not a popular opinion, but my choice would be to have Portugal and Serbia away in the first two games. Worst case scenario is we get one of the easier teams and draw a blank. Serbia are always a wildcard, they could have a stinker or top the group. Portugal are never as scary as the other big boys but are the obvious favourites. Will be CR7s last opportunity to play in a WC.

Very possible Serbia and Portugal draw with each other and drop points against the weak two (not impossible).

We have a real chance of top 2 with this group. A 5 team is an added bonus.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

Will Big Ron be playing for Portugal in this campaign I wonder? He might retire after the Euros. Bruno F seems to be able to come up with goals all the time too .

Ronaldo will never retire id say. Not that bad of a group. Serbia are not that great. Portugal rightly favourite to top the group. No reason if we getvsome sort of form going we cannot aim for 2nd. 

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

They've also got Joao Felix finding form after a slow start to life at Atletico Madrid. They're certainly no longer the 1-man team they were a few years ago. 

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:20pm
when are fixtures out? Portugal won’t play in October window due to NL so is it 2 games per window for us?

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:20pm
Baku is pain in the bollocks to get to. Stayed there 2 nights before Georgia away and the city is cool enough. We stayed in the old town beside a few of the embassies. Not a peep at night and cops/private security guards everywhere. It's a Muslim country but secular and very safe. People were very nice but a lot had no English. 

Did the overnight train from Baku to Tbilisi. Never again. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

when are fixtures out? Portugal won’t play in October window due to NL so is it 2 games per window for us?

sh*te yeah. Unless we have them in the November window not a guarantee it'll be a runner for away fans.  

-------------

Posted By: VanBosch
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Baku is pain in the bollocks to get to. Stayed there 2 nights before Georgia away and the city is cool enough. We stayed in the old town beside a few of the embassies. Not a peep at night and cops/private security guards everywhere. It's a Muslim country but secular and very safe. People were very nice but a lot had no English. 

Muslim with beer though right?

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:24pm

Didn't notice that the police or security at all! Didn't have any issue finding any bars either, albeit they were quiet 

Didn't mind the train either 😂

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Didn't notice that the police or security at all! Didn't have any issue finding any bars either, albeit they were quiet 

We had a cramped 4 bed sleeper and the toilets were third world stuff. Yah there was a security post right below my hotel room but I assume it's there because of the embassies. 

When were you there Vidic? 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:29pm
Looking at venues if fans are allowed in terms of tickets

Portugal do mix it up from time but mostly play the games against higher seeds in the Estadio Da Luz which 65,000 so doubt there would be much trouble there. If not there Estadio Joze Alvalade which is 50,000 so again shouldn't be much of an issue. They have played a few times in Faro (which would be a nice summer trip) which is 30,000 which while not the worst given the numbers who might travel given the location perhaps a tricky one. There is also the possibility of it being in the Estadio Nacional in Lisbon which is 37,000 so again maybe a tricky one. 

Serbia - Belgrade in Red Star Stadium 53,000 doubt there be much issue just like back in 2016

Luxembourg at 8000 will be struggle.

Azerbaijan- Baku Olympic Stadium is 68,700 should be no issue at all

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:30pm
Hopefully Azerbaijan can take points of Serbia or Portugal, Serbia more likely and we can get 6 of them. Wishful thinking atvthis stage I suppose 

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

sh*te yeah. Unless we have them in the November window not a guarantee it'll be a runner for away fans.  

Portugal aren't in the NL games in October so we could play them in October

Posted By: ripbomb
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:31pm

Taught Portugal missed out on nations league.. finished 2nd in their group

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

indeed they did miss out - my error - just assumed as a 5 team group.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Muslim with beer though right?

Yep. 

-------------

Posted By: uibhfaillian
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:38pm
2nd is a play off I take it?

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:39pm

We had a cramped 4 bed sleeper and the toilets were third world stuff. Yah there was a security post right below my hotel room but I assume it's there because of the embassies. 

Same time as you, I was talking to you a about it LOL

We had a two bed sleeper, was grand! Toilets weren't too bad I thought, seen worse! 

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:39pm

Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

indeed they did miss out - my error - just assumed as a 5 team group.

Ah. They're the odd one out with 5 team groups. 5 x 5 Teams and 5 x 6 teams. Excellent stuff then

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:41pm
FAI will be praying one of the matchdays not involving us will be later in the campaign along with Portugal at home 

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:46pm
Confidence levels on the forum will be back to the usual "Ah sure they're not great/they're on the decline".

I'd say we're underestimating Portugal and discounting who else, apart from Ronaldo, plays for them.

Not a bad draw at all though. 

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Kev87
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:48pm
Any idea when the fixtures will be out? Been to majority of the home games for about the last 6years but planning an away or 2 if fixtures suit. My aul lads 60th next August me and the you ger brother been planning to surprise him with an Ireland away all being well.

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:50pm
Could of been worse, the fixture list will be important and think we need to start against one of Lux or Azb

Let's hope Ronaldo retires from international football but that's very unlikely 

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:50pm

Same time as you, I was talking to you a about it LOL

We had a two bed sleeper, was grand! Toilets weren't too bad I thought, seen worse! 

Before the Swiss game in Geneva? I don't remember you mentioning Baku but you probably did LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Could of been worse, the fixture list will be important and think we need to start against one of Lux or Azb

Let's hope Ronaldo retires from international football but that's very unlikely 

Hard to know he'd be nearly 38 by the time the WC itself rolls around if they qualify yet at the same time he may want another crack at it

-------------

Posted By: Americanisms
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:52pm
Relatively kind draw all in all. We should at least challenge Serbia for that playoff spot till the last game or two, their not nearly as good as they were in the 2018 WC group and hopefully Portugal can take 6 points off them too cos they'll definitely get 6 of us

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Confidence levels on the forum will be back to the usual "Ah sure they're not great/they're on the decline".

I'd say we're underestimating Portugal and discounting who else, apart from Ronaldo, plays for them.

Not a bad draw at all though. 

Portugal is a non-runner and will top the group. Crazy for any of us to underestimate them.  I don't see us taking any points off them. maybe one if we're lucky. It's a tough but doable group and we have a chance against Serbia. 

-------------

Posted By: EdisonCavani
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:55pm
Ronaldo is only 35. I would say there is next to no chance of him retiring before Qatar WC.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by EdisonCavani EdisonCavani wrote:

Ronaldo is only 35. I would say there is next to no chance of him retiring before Qatar WC.

He's 36 in Feb. He'll be nearly 38 by the time the WC comes around. Wouldn't be shocked if he went after the Euros but he may want one final crack at the WC

-------------

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by uibhfaillian uibhfaillian wrote:

2nd is a play off I take it?

Yeah, 10 2nd places plus 2 Nations league spots in play offs for last three places. One leg semi final plus final as with euros. 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:01pm
We will find Azerbaijan and Luxembourg hard to beat, never mind Serbia or Portugal.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:02pm
Luxembourg away in the first game, followed by Azerbijan at home would be the best opening fixtures for us.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:03pm
Would've loved Scotland's group even though Israel was a tough enough 4th seed to get. 

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I think another positive is it being a 5 team group we have space for 2 friendlies during the campaign.

I wonder what Oman are up to

We really needed to get one of the bottom seeds for confidence...
England are going to batter San Marino and Andorra.
I wish we got them as we would score a decent amount of goals and get the confidence up.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:17pm

Originally posted by EdisonCavani EdisonCavani wrote:

He's 36 in Feb. He'll be nearly 38 by the time the WC comes around. Wouldn't be shocked if he went after the Euros but he may want one final crack at the WC

He has stated he would retire after Qatar but if he keeps playing he might want another crack at the Euro’s!  Sure he is fitter than 90% of footballers 10 years younger than him. 

-------------

Posted By: Jack City
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:17pm
Steven Kenny just said fixtures out tomorrow evening, press conference live on the RTE news channel.

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Jack City Jack City wrote:

Steven Kenny just said fixtures out tomorrow evening, press conference live on the RTE news channel.

He is painful in interviews 

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: Terzino
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:54pm
Our chances of qualifying were remote, but with that draw there is now no chance. 

Portugal and Serbia will take maximum points off of Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. We needed lower seeded teams capable of getting draws off the bigger teams. 

What we are likely to get is 3 or 4 wins, but also 3 or 4 defeats.

Group H would have been much better for us. That's the kind of group you'd expect most teams to take points off one another, and 2 or 3 defeats might still allow you to take a play-off spot.

Posted By: SeanyL
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:01pm
Fingers crossed we don’t play Portugal until after the Euros in the faint hope Ronaldo retires. We want the two teams seeded below us in the first couple of games I think. 

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:03pm
It's unlikely we'll qualify anyway but getting a playoff spot would be a very good return. 

With teams like Switzerland & Sweden & Poland probably in the playoffs, we wouldn't get past any of them. 

-------------

Posted By: SeanyL
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:18pm

Do the countries still agree the fixtures between them or does UEFA do them now ?

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Our chances of qualifying were remote, but with that draw there is now no chance. 

Portugal and Serbia will take maximum points off of Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. We needed lower seeded teams capable of getting draws off the bigger teams. 

Group H would have been much better for us. That's the kind of group you'd expect most teams to take points off one another, and 2 or 3 defeats might still allow you to take a play-off spot.

Portugal will run away with the group. Serbia are not great.

Funnily enough, Portugal, Serbia and Luxembourg were in the Euro 2020 qualifying group together.

They've a had a mixed bag of results.

1-1 with Portugal and a 5-0 defeat to the Ukraine, they make hard work of Luxembourg too.

Then again, Mitrovic scored 10 goals in qualifying and we scored 7!

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Roberto_Carlow
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:34pm
Said earlier,  Luxembourg aren't as bad as they used to be and won't be an easy game. 

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by SeanyL SeanyL wrote:

Do the countries still agree the fixtures between them or does UEFA do them now ?

Apparently all done by UEFA /  probably saves them a headache of teams complaining.

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:42pm
It will come down to our games against serbia I feel.   

If Serbia get points against Portugal we are in bother. If we take 12 points from Luxembourg and Azerbaijan, a draw away T to serbia and take them at home.  That's best case scenario.  

If we play like we did in autumn we will finish 4th or 5th 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: avfc
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

If Serbia get points against Portugal we are in bother. If we take 12 points from Luxembourg and Azerbaijan, a draw away T to serbia and take them at home.  That's best case scenario.  

Lux are one of the most improved teams in Europe. Aze away will be tricky. It will be a really impressive achievement to get 12 points from them games. I think we will pick up points in some form from the big 2.

16 points is achievable with this group.

Posted By: DR.HUGO
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 9:14pm
This is far from being a bad group it’s between ourselves and Serbia for second and as painful as the start to SKs reign has been we can see what he’s trying to do is positive....I’m hopeful.

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 9:29pm
Happy from a travel point of view. And in all honesty, the football side of things doesn't look likely to be exciting us for a while. At least not this campaign. And who knows; we might get lucky. Surely it can't be as bad as 2020....

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

Lux are one of the most improved teams in Europe. Aze away will be tricky. It will be a really impressive achievement to get 12 points from them games. I think we will pick up points in some form from the big 2.

16 points is achievable with this group.

Did you read my post 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

He is painful in interviews 

He’s awful doing the mundane rent a quote sh*te the journos love to regurgitate ad nauseum, that’s true. But get him talking football systems and tactics and how he wants to play it’s a different kenny altogether, passionate and driven. But all the press want is quick quote nonsense unfortunately.

Posted By: xRedmanLFCx
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 9:42pm

It's unlikely we'll qualify anyway but getting a playoff spot would be a very good return. 

With teams like Switzerland & Sweden & Poland probably in the playoffs, we wouldn't get past any of them. 

LOL

-------------
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON

Posted By: Joe Stalin
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 10:11pm

I get the whole being realistic about our chances but you're writing off the group where we're competing with Serbia for 2nd who recently got turned over by the Scots...

Life is dull enough these days without writing us off before a ball is kicked. 

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 10:15pm
Of course I want Ireland at the 2022 World Cup finals.  But I wouldn't be too upset if we didn't make it to a Christmas World Cup in the desert.  Let these qualifyers be Stephen Kenny's chance to properly bed in his way of playing, and then a proper push for qualifying for Euro 2024 in Germany.  Now THAT one I'll be raging if we missed out on...

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 11:01pm
I didnt see the draw and wasn't following it so when I heard it first on the radio I was thinking "f**k that's a tough draw".
But looking at the other groups, I think there are only another 2 where I think we would have a similar or better chance. 

Portugal are very tough, id have them currently in the top 4 of europe. 
Serbia are a good technical side but no superstars. 
Luxembourg and Azerbaijan will be tricky but we should have the beating of them.

I predict second place. 

That said, we have been poor in the last number of years so basing it off Kenny has all the players available to him and we finally start putting in good performances and getting results

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 11:06pm
I'm very happy with that draw. Serbia are not what they were. Portugal will be tough but we did take 4 points of the World Champions 5 years ago. Its not impossible.

Fixtures will be key 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 11:12pm
Were still fcked for a goal scorer tho. I cant see Parrott been ready to lead our line in March no way. I rate Connolly but will he score us the goals to progress. Unless we find someone before then how will we score.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 11:17pm

Don't get this...Sure if they would take points off Portugal they are nailed on to take points off us!! Azerbaijan and a much improved Luxembourg away are far from gimmes 

Posted By: belgradeboy
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:21am
Hi again dear friends.
Draw put us together again in the same group.

Honestly i don't know what to expect from our team. We were not expected win against Norway, and again complete nation were convinced that we will win comfortably against Scotland,but our team proved us wrong.
So, the situation is the same as it was for a decades, player agemts, mafia, coaches without experience and nepotism.

After the match against Scotland, couple of our former star players raised their voice against the complete system and FA management. Nemanja Vidic wrote a letter regarding situation in our FA which you can find on the web.

Slavoljub Muslin was sacked just before the start of WC2018, without any explanation (but we know that he was under pressure because he avoided to put Milinkovic Savic in the team). On his place they put Krstajic who was his assistant before.

Now, to save their asses, to court (i don't know the proper word) to the nation they're trying to bring Arsene Wenger (ahahhahaha) or Raymond Domenec (also ahahha) on our bench.

However, if they put someone without authority, i can expect that we will play very bad without plan and constancy. Just to mention that in last 10 matches we always started with different four defenders.

Someone mentioned that we are not the same quality as we used to be, i can't agree with that. By names probably we are better now, but the situation is the same in our FA.
Last time when we faced each other, we had a luck to have Slavoljub Muslin on the bench.

So, everything depends on manager, if we would have someone without balls, authority and vision, you can easily beat us (if Scotland could, than any team can).

I think no one believes in our national team anymore.

Wish you all the best, and may the better win.

Cheers from Belgrade

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:29am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Don't get this...Sure if they would take points off Portugal they are nailed on to take points off us!! Azerbaijan and a much improved Luxembourg away are far from gimmes 

Totally agree it’s a nonsense argument.  Our best bet was always going to be get one of the weakest 4th seeds and get a 2nd seed we had a fighting chance against with a 1st seed who is likely to run away with the group.  

Basically it will probably come down to the two games against Serbia to see if we make
the playoff and I will take that.  Would still predict we come 3rd in the group but Serbia are not much better than us and went out in the playoffs on penos. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Jimmy Raggatip
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 1:16am
I think we're really underestimating Serbia just because they couldn't get past Scotland

they have some genuine match winners in their side and its not the most pleasant away if there's a full house in by that time

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 5:01am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

I think we're really underestimating Serbia just because they couldn't get past Scotland

they have some genuine match winners in their side and its not the most pleasant away if there's a full house in by that time

They are better side than us there is no doubt.  

The place was half empty when we played them in 2016. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Tyronebhoy
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 7:14am

They are better side than us there is no doubt.  

The place was half empty when we played them in 2016. 

Drinking in Partizan bar after game that night with few of their mad fans. They refuse point blank to cross threshold of Red Star stadium LOL

-------------
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 8:05am

a team that didn’t qualify for the euros and conceded 17 goals in the 8 group games - I don’t think we’re underestimating them. Us and them are at the same level based on recent results - a playoff spot is within reach.

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 8:09am

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Totally agree it’s a nonsense argument.  Our best bet was always going to be get one of the weakest 4th seeds and get a 2nd seed we had a fighting chance against with a 1st seed who is likely to run away with the group.  

Basically it will probably come down to the two games against Serbia to see if we make
the playoff and I will take that.  Would still predict we come 3rd in the group but Serbia are not much better than us and went out in the playoffs on penos. 

This is how it will play out i believe.  I also think it is unlikely that both ourselves and Serbia will take 12 points from the games V Azerbaijan and Luxembourg.  One of us will slip up somewhere.  

We have gotten what we wanted i believe, a really good team from pot 1 who are likely and well capable of running away with the group (as you have said) and one of the lesser ranker or weaker (in comparison to say Poland, Switzerland, etc) sides from pot 2.  Can't have asked for much more than that.

Posted By: Ecumenical Matter
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 8:24am
Portugal are miles ahead of any of the rest and might win all games.   Lux and Azeris are poor. A two leg contest against Serbia is not bad.  The timing of the fixtures is key.  You want home games with your fans as late as possible. 

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 8:38am
Originally posted by belgradeboy belgradeboy wrote:

Hi again dear friends.
Draw put us together again in the same group.

Honestly i don't know what to expect from our team. We were not expected win against Norway, and again complete nation were convinced that we will win comfortably against Scotland,but our team proved us wrong.
So, the situation is the same as it was for a decades, player agemts, mafia, coaches without experience and nepotism.

After the match against Scotland, couple of our former star players raised their voice against the complete system and FA management. Nemanja Vidic wrote a letter regarding situation in our FA which you can find on the web.

Slavoljub Muslin was sacked just before the start of WC2018, without any explanation (but we know that he was under pressure because he avoided to put Milinkovic Savic in the team). On his place they put Krstajic who was his assistant before.

Now, to save their asses, to court (i don't know the proper word) to the nation they're trying to bring Arsene Wenger (ahahhahaha) or Raymond Domenec (also ahahha) on our bench.

However, if they put someone without authority, i can expect that we will play very bad without plan and constancy. Just to mention that in last 10 matches we always started with different four defenders.

Someone mentioned that we are not the same quality as we used to be, i can't agree with that. By names probably we are better now, but the situation is the same in our FA.
Last time when we faced each other, we had a luck to have Slavoljub Muslin on the bench.

So, everything depends on manager, if we would have someone without balls, authority and vision, you can easily beat us (if Scotland could, than any team can).

I think no one believes in our national team anymore.

Wish you all the best, and may the better win.

Cheers from Belgrade

Thanks appreciate the update.  Serbia would still be favourites for 2nd at this point.  

I'm delighted with Luxembourg and Azerbaijan.  I wanted weaker 4th and 5th seeds as we are in transition.  I'm not saying we will definitely beat them but we need wins and confidence boosters.  Luxembourg are the weakest team in pot 4 despite recent improvements.  Our best chance is to bring it down to a battle with Serbia for 2nd.  

Agree the fixture list is crucial.  We started the last campaign with 5th seeds away and 4th seeds at home.  I know pretty much all the travelling fans are hoping for Baku later in 2021 but I am sure Stephen would take that.  I'd rather play Portugal early than Serbia.  Ideally a friendly in March and a couple of the less crucial games. 

Posted By: Missy
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Luxembourg away in the first game, followed by Azerbijan at home would be the best opening fixtures for us.
More than capable of losing both those games.
We are in a  very bad place can’t keep clean sheets compared to previous managers when we concede against either  I can’t see us scoring and fighting for 4th spot on the other hand somehow beat either of top 2 confidence returns and we could top the group.
Portugal far from a one man show and have to be favourites to top group.
Where fixtures fall could have a big say Azerbaijan away I 2 game is key  

-------------
All opinions are my own and have f**k all to do with Mullingar RISSC CRISC Ticket Office or the FAI

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:05am
Apologies if this has been covered before, but can someone clarify how qualification works in a 5 team group Vs a 6 team group. 

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:06am
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Apologies if this has been covered before, but can someone clarify how qualification works in a 5 team group Vs a 6 team group. 

No difference other than you play less games 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:09am
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

1st goes to WC.
2nd goes to Playoffs where they're joined by a few Nations League team.
No difference between 5 and 6 team group

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:10am
Cheers lads. 

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:10am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Were still fcked for a goal scorer tho. I cant see Parrott been ready to lead our line in March no way. I rate Connolly but will he score us the goals to progress. Unless we find someone before then how will we score.
Correct. Until we find a goalscorer we're not qualifying for anything

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:12am
Lot more straightforward than previous campaigns where you had the worst runner or runners up missing out

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:20am

Lot more straightforward than previous campaigns where you had the worst runner or runners up missing out

I believe there was one campaign where the best RU qualified?
And as you say, the worst RU didn’t even get a play off. 

Seems unfair - all RU should get the same result ie a play off spot.
With the Nations league they have room to give everybody a play off spot.

-------------

Posted By: djhegzy
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 10:08am
The way its worked in the past if a team was going to miss out, your points accrued against the 6th seeds were removed from your total so all groups were totalled evenly 

Posted By: Given's zimmerframe
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 10:10am
are the play offs the same as the euros? Semi final and final? Both matches one leg each?

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

are the play offs the same as the euros? Semi final and final? Both matches one leg each?

Yep

-------------

Posted By: Given's zimmerframe
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 10:13am
so its luck of the draw if you are at home for the semi/final?

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

so its luck of the draw if you are at home for the semi/final?

I'd say FIFA will find a way to seed them  (akin 2010 playoffs) 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net