You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2022 World Cup Qualifiers Group A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 52>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I'm surprised Clark hasn't been put forth by anybody as an option to play DM against Serbia. He played in midfield when he broke through for Villa and looked good. It would be out of left field but we've been chopping and changing for every game under Kenny so far and will have to continue doing so with the absences of Egan and McCarthy. And Clark's played all across the defense and in midfield for club and country anyway.

With McCarthy injured, Molumby patently unready, Arter MIA, Browne playing RB for Preston, Cullen untrusted, and Hourihane an injury doubt, and like Hendrick, better served playing a bit further forward, surely it's something to consider as bodies keep dropping.

He has the athleticism, physicality, passing range and composure so it wouldn't be the worst thing. It would give Hendrick and/or Hourihane a bit more of a license to roam also.
It’s an option I would not dismiss. I mentioned this a few years ago and got laughed at. Alternatively as he’s very comfortable on the ball Dara o Shea might be an option as a holding midfielder with Clark and Kevin Long at centre back. 
Sponsored Links

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 12:44am
Is there anything to be said for giving Cyrus another go?...

wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 9:10am

The Right Back Situation a Statistical View

Premier League Stats only via WhoScored

Seamus Coleman Everton Age 32 (15 Apps) Average Rating 6.53

Matt Doherty Spurs Age 29 (14 Apps) Average Rating 6.72

Tackles Per 90

Name

Doherty 

Coleman

Tackles won

Player gets dribbled past

Tackle attempts

It is clear here that Coleman is the better one on one defender winning 90% of his tackles compared to Doherty’s 58%. Doherty has one of the league’s worst records for being dribbled past. Being dribbled past 1.5 times every 90 minutes ranking 10th in the league in this metric amongst 51 players who have played right back. Interestingly Aurier Doherty’s teammate gets dribbled past 1.3 times which would suggest maybe something to do with Spurs’ tactics. Coleman has the best record of all right back in the league at 0.3, second is Aaron Was Bissaka with 0.4, this shows Coleman to be one of the best one on one defenders in the league. He was also the lowest last season

General Defence Per 90 

Name

Doherty

Coleman

Interceptions

Fouls committed

Clearances

Shots Blocked

Crosses Blocked

All the stats here are even enough. Doherty does have more interceptions but often players a bit higher up which would lead to more interceptions and also more fouls committed. Coleman does not have a high crosses blocked per 90 at 0.2 and actually has been a weakness of his game. We saw this against Manchester United where Manchester United score 2 goals from crosses down his side. The first one especially should have been blocked

Offensive Per 90

Name

Doherty

Coleman

Unsuccessful dribbles

Successful dribbles

Total Dribbles

Disposed

Aerial duels won 

Aerial duels lost

Here Doherty has a high unsuccessful dribble rate but we must remember again he does go forward more but interestingly averages fewer dribbles per game. Of players who have played over 5 games Coleman ranks second for times disposed only behind Kyle Walker. At 6ft 1 Doherty dominates aerial duels won at right back and has won the greatest number of aerial duels per 90 of all premier league right backs

Passing Per 90

Name

Doherty

Coleman

Total passes

Accurate long balls

Inaccurate long balls

Accurate short passes

Inaccurate short passes

Accurate cross passes

Inaccurate cross passes

Key Long Passes

Key Short Passes

Assists (Total) 

Expected Assists (Total)

Again, here stats are even enough bar Key Short Passes, Doherty 9th in the league to Colemans 24th. One reason for this is Coleman and Rodriguez have played as a pair 8 times this season and when Rodriguez plays on the right, he is given license to roam, Coleman plays a far more defensive role thus and does not go forward as often for example against Spurs Coleman recorded 5 clearances, a tackle, an interception and a block but had no successful dribbles. Crosses are both even

Edited by wexfordman1 - 11 Mar 2021 at 9:12am
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 8:22pm
Kenny during the Q&A says Randolph is out of the March games.

Says Kelleher due back in training next week, they'll see how he comes through that 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 10:29am
A player I think that should start is Kevin Long. He is a player who adapts well to popping in and out of a PL team, and in this case, where are normal CB pairing has lost form and is injured, somebody like him makes a lot of sense to me, especially as this is the type of situation he handles on a regular basis.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

A player I think that should start is Kevin Long. He is a player who adapts well to popping in and out of a PL team, and in this case, where are normal CB pairing has lost form and is injured, somebody like him makes a lot of sense to me, especially as this is the type of situation he handles on a regular basis.

He hasnt really been popping in and out though. Played consistently up until October on has only played approx 90mins since end of October. I do rate him though and would like to see him getting more game time.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 2:21pm
             Kelleher
Coleman Duffy O’Shea Stevens

Hendrick Cullen Hourihane

Doherty            Brady

Long

By the time I post this, we’ll have five more injuries 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 2:38pm
Clark over Duffy, surely?

Don't see long starting but I'd say you're close enough, Egan for O'Shea maybe 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 2:47pm
Egan is out.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Clark over Duffy, surely?

Don't see long starting but I'd say you're close enough, Egan for O'Shea maybe 

I would hope so, but I think Duffy will get the nod. This is really what I think the team will be, not what I want it to be
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 5:37pm
The way the injuries are going it looks like young Troy’s first goal of the season could be in the green of Ireland
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 5:45pm
Independent reporting McClean will be in the squad having recovered quicker than expected from a foot injury 
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Independent reporting McClean will be in the squad having recovered quicker than expected from a foot injury 
It just keeps getting worse for Kenny
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

LOLLOL
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 5:53pm

LOL

In fairness, this is the very game I'd want someone like McClean in who will need to provide cover for the left back as we're probably going to be pinned in our own half for a lot of the match. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

LOL

In fairness, this is the very game I'd want someone like McClean in who will need to provide cover for the left back as we're probably going to be pinned in our own half for a lot of the match. 

Mostly because of him having hoofed the ball straight to the Serbians any time it's come near him.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 6:26pm

LOL
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 6:39pm

Your only saying what plenty will be thinking.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 52>
  Share Topic