Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2022 World Cup Qualifiers Group A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 52>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I think another positive is it being a 5 team group we have space for 2 friendlies during the campaign.

I wonder what Oman are up to

We really needed to get one of the bottom seeds for confidence...
England are going to batter San Marino and Andorra.
I wish we got them as we would score a decent amount of goals and get the confidence up.

Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by EdisonCavani EdisonCavani wrote:

Ronaldo is only 35. I would say there is next to no chance of him retiring before Qatar WC.

He's 36 in Feb. He'll be nearly 38 by the time the WC comes around. Wouldn't be shocked if he went after the Euros but he may want one final crack at the WC

He has stated he would retire after Qatar but if he keeps playing he might want another crack at the Euro’s!  Sure he is fitter than 90% of footballers 10 years younger than him. 

Jack City View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:17pm
Steven Kenny just said fixtures out tomorrow evening, press conference live on the RTE news channel.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Jack City Jack City wrote:

Steven Kenny just said fixtures out tomorrow evening, press conference live on the RTE news channel.

He is painful in interviews 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:54pm
Our chances of qualifying were remote, but with that draw there is now no chance. 

Portugal and Serbia will take maximum points off of Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. We needed lower seeded teams capable of getting draws off the bigger teams. 

What we are likely to get is 3 or 4 wins, but also 3 or 4 defeats.

Group H would have been much better for us. That's the kind of group you'd expect most teams to take points off one another, and 2 or 3 defeats might still allow you to take a play-off spot.

Edited by Terzino - 07 Dec 2020 at 7:55pm
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:01pm
Fingers crossed we don’t play Portugal until after the Euros in the faint hope Ronaldo retires. We want the two teams seeded below us in the first couple of games I think. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:03pm
It's unlikely we'll qualify anyway but getting a playoff spot would be a very good return. 

With teams like Switzerland & Sweden & Poland probably in the playoffs, we wouldn't get past any of them. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:18pm

Do the countries still agree the fixtures between them or does UEFA do them now ?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Our chances of qualifying were remote, but with that draw there is now no chance. 

Portugal and Serbia will take maximum points off of Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. We needed lower seeded teams capable of getting draws off the bigger teams. 

What we are likely to get is 3 or 4 wins, but also 3 or 4 defeats.

Group H would have been much better for us. That's the kind of group you'd expect most teams to take points off one another, and 2 or 3 defeats might still allow you to take a play-off spot.

Portugal will run away with the group. Serbia are not great.

Funnily enough, Portugal, Serbia and Luxembourg were in the Euro 2020 qualifying group together.

They've a had a mixed bag of results.

1-1 with Portugal and a 5-0 defeat to the Ukraine, they make hard work of Luxembourg too.

Then again, Mitrovic scored 10 goals in qualifying and we scored 7!

Edited by horsebox - 07 Dec 2020 at 8:34pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:34pm
Said earlier,  Luxembourg aren't as bad as they used to be and won't be an easy game. 

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by SeanyL SeanyL wrote:

Do the countries still agree the fixtures between them or does UEFA do them now ?

Apparently all done by UEFA /  probably saves them a headache of teams complaining.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:42pm
It will come down to our games against serbia I feel.   

If Serbia get points against Portugal we are in bother. If we take 12 points from Luxembourg and Azerbaijan, a draw away T to serbia and take them at home.  That's best case scenario.  

If we play like we did in autumn we will finish 4th or 5th 
AKA pedantic kunt
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

If Serbia get points against Portugal we are in bother. If we take 12 points from Luxembourg and Azerbaijan, a draw away T to serbia and take them at home.  That's best case scenario.  

Lux are one of the most improved teams in Europe. Aze away will be tricky. It will be a really impressive achievement to get 12 points from them games. I think we will pick up points in some form from the big 2.

16 points is achievable with this group.

DR.HUGO View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DR.HUGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 9:14pm
This is far from being a bad group it’s between ourselves and Serbia for second and as painful as the start to SKs reign has been we can see what he’s trying to do is positive....I’m hopeful.
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 9:29pm
Happy from a travel point of view. And in all honesty, the football side of things doesn't look likely to be exciting us for a while. At least not this campaign. And who knows; we might get lucky. Surely it can't be as bad as 2020....
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Lux are one of the most improved teams in Europe. Aze away will be tricky. It will be a really impressive achievement to get 12 points from them games. I think we will pick up points in some form from the big 2.

16 points is achievable with this group.

Did you read my post 
AKA pedantic kunt
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

He is painful in interviews 

He’s awful doing the mundane rent a quote sh*te the journos love to regurgitate ad nauseum, that’s true. But get him talking football systems and tactics and how he wants to play it’s a different kenny altogether, passionate and driven. But all the press want is quick quote nonsense unfortunately.
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

It's unlikely we'll qualify anyway but getting a playoff spot would be a very good return. 

With teams like Switzerland & Sweden & Poland probably in the playoffs, we wouldn't get past any of them. 

LOL

Edited by xRedmanLFCx - 07 Dec 2020 at 9:43pm
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 52>
  Share Topic