You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IRELAND VS WALES - October 11th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 38>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:34pm
Couldn't bring myself to comment on Thursday or come on, bitterly disappointed it didn't go our way.

Molumby was very impressive today, everything was forward thinking. If anymore of the emerging U21 come with that mentality ready made for a Kenny set up for Snrs, I am encouraged. Being a Villa fan I am guilty of being a Hourihane bias, even the usual 'leave him on for his set pieces' as a last argument but he was no where to be seen today. Hopefully Cullen can get some winning mentality at Anderlecht, are they playing in Europe this season. Christie the CM did a decent enough job at RB as well.

Like Thursday thought Hendrick had an alright first half, but onwards proved to be a poor attacking choice, what was the harm in throwing Byrninho on, can only think he will start Wednesday with such a make shift side now.

Really do think Clark has a place to play in this squad at least, probably the best ball playing option we had, and played very well for us and Newcastle last year when called upon (and fit).

League B or C,  back door job for us down the line so just use next month again to experiment, no doubt hit by COVID again - even use it as a chance to 'tie down' anyone... 

Mick was such a smug f**ker today on comm

Up the armchair!

I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
Sponsored Links

orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by orourkeda orourkeda wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Don’t see how that be classed as a poor performance 

I can.

Poor performance?! LOL

You have ridiculous standards mate. 

What standards do I have?

That game was garbage. Plain and simple. What is this "having standards"? What is that supposed to mean?

You have ridiculously high standards if you think Ireland despite having a decimated squad on the back of a 120 minute playoff 3 days previously, performed poorly today. 

Have you watched Ireland play under Trap/O'Neill and Mick in the last 12 or so years? 

Firstly, I have never made excuses for any other manager of this team. I'm talking about todays performance. We're not discussing Giovanni Trapattoni or Martin O'Neill so please stop trying to change the subject.

Secondly, I will acknowledge that the preparation for today's fixture was not ideal. I think we can all agree on that and this point has already been made.

And finally I made my assertion that this game was garbage on the basis of the 90 minutes of "football" that we were served up.

I've already stated that we had players making foul throws, Enda Stevens let the ball go under his foot and out of play in that game. No matter who the manager there are errors that are inexcusable at this level. Mistakes will happen and it is unreasonable to expect error free play from anyone but there are certain mistakes that professionals just shouldn't be allowed to make.

Our finishing was pathetic. Robbie Brady, Shane Long and Sean Maguire all had opportunities that they should have put on target (at the very least) but hit them wide or over. The goalkepper should have been forced into a save.

Our crossing was poor. There were more misplaced passes then there should have been.

We defended adequately but Wales didnt exactly overrun us in defence.
https://www.orourkeda.blog

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Defensively we don't look anymore vulnerable trying to play the ball out from the back. 

We're creating more chances it's just our finishing isn't good enough. I'm not sure if we can improve that with the current lot.

Its a major difference between wanting to play and coming up short, and playing hyper-conservative and almost guaranteeing to come up short.

I'd pick a number of that Welsh team over their Irish counterpart. But Wales never even came close to outplaying us, and over the past three years, far too often we were riding our luck, which notoriously came undone against the Danes. More of than not, we were outplayed, but plucked a result. The exception being in Switzerland, when we actually played somewhat progressively after half time, and made inroads.

Trusting your footballers who may not be good enough is better than failing to trust your footballers, who may well be good enough. Kenny's philosophy isn't giving over chances, and its stifling teams, without stifling ourselves.
orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I can.
Do explain so. Do take in to consideration that 4 of the Covid players were due to start. This should be good...

A very simple illustration.

When was the last time you saw a foul throw at international level?
Every game, it's just they are rarely punished.

OK. So we have a generation of international footballers that can't be bothered to to take a throw in properly and a generation of referees that don't enforce the rules concerning this? Is that what you're telling me?
https://www.orourkeda.blog

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:38pm
Kenny very upbeat and positive in his post match interview with Virgin. Didnt use the disruptions as a excuse 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:40pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I can.
Do explain so. Do take in to consideration that 4 of the Covid players were due to start. This should be good...

A very simple illustration.

When was the last time you saw a foul throw at international level?
Every game, it's just they are rarely punished.

OK. So we have a generation of international footballers that can't be bothered to to take a throw in properly and a generation of referees that don't enforce the rules concerning this? Is that what you're telling me?
Players try and bend the rules and normally the referees aren't too strict about throw-ins. Have a proper look at them, there are loads of foul throws in every game at high levels.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:50pm

I can.

Poor performance?! LOL

You have ridiculous standards mate. 

What standards do I have?

That game was garbage. Plain and simple. What is this "having standards"? What is that supposed to mean?

You have ridiculously high standards if you think Ireland despite having a decimated squad on the back of a 120 minute playoff 3 days previously, performed poorly today. 

Have you watched Ireland play under Trap/O'Neill and Mick in the last 12 or so years? 

Firstly, I have never made excuses for any other manager of this team. I'm talking about todays performance. We're not discussing Giovanni Trapattoni or Martin O'Neill so please stop trying to change the subject.

Secondly, I will acknowledge that the preparation for today's fixture was not ideal. I think we can all agree on that and this point has already been made.

And finally I made my assertion that this game was garbage on the basis of the 90 minutes of "football" that we were served up.

I've already stated that we had players making foul throws, Enda Stevens let the ball go under his foot and out of play in that game. No matter who the manager there are errors that are inexcusable at this level. Mistakes will happen and it is unreasonable to expect error free play from anyone but there are certain mistakes that professionals just shouldn't be allowed to make.

Our finishing was pathetic. Robbie Brady, Shane Long and Sean Maguire all had opportunities that they should have put on target (at the very least) but hit them wide or over. The goalkepper should have been forced into a save.

Our crossing was poor. There were more misplaced passes then there should have been.

We defended adequately but Wales didnt exactly overrun us in defence.

I wasn't changing the subject, I was contrasting that footballing performance with the typical hoofball performance that we seen under the previous Irish managers. 

Oh no, there was a foul throw from a player late in the game. Whatever ever will we do?! Big fooking deal. Build a bridge and get over it ffs. 

Finishing and final ball was poor but the team's overall performance was very good. If you don't think it was then you're a hard man to please. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

I thought that was another poor game. Again we played some decent stuff at times but 1 shot on target and another goaless game is a real worry. Keeping the ball is well and good but actually doing something with it is entirely different. We can bemoan the lack of a goalscorer but that is where we are so the solution is to find other ways to win matches rather than rely on a goalscorer. At the minute we are playing a style that needs a goalscorer and we hope one appears because otherwise I fear we might struggle big time. 1 goal in 4 games which was an injury time set piece header from our centre back. Not encouraging.
What style of football doesn’t need a goalscorer?

The type that might have inverted wingers like Liverpool or who have midfielders driving from deep into the box or offering a genuine threat from set pieces both aerially and shooting wise. At the minute we are playing some decent stuff at times but needing a poacher to put them away. Our wingers are not inverted and don't offer much goal threat, our set pieces have been poor and apart from Browne on Thursday we don't seem to have a midfielder keen to break the lines and get into the 6 yard box. Sure there have been positive signs and the goals shouldn't be far away but I would like to see more. I think the fans might make a difference when this whole covid business settles down. Either way Kenny deserves the next campaign to try and implement and make a success of this. I hope he can.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 6:13pm

I can.

43 going on 5.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Defensively we don't look anymore vulnerable trying to play the ball out from the back. 

We're creating more chances it's just our finishing isn't good enough. I'm not sure if we can improve that with the current lot.

Exactly we have missed 5 sitters in our last 2 games and Im not including Duffy not getting on the end of Brady’s ball or Brady’s poor finish today  or Mccleans missed chance against Slovakia.

Il go a step further and say that lot should be f**king ashamed of themselves for not rattling the net at least 2/3 times in those 2 games the last few days. 

The best way I can sum up that current senior squad bar maybe 5/6 is they are complete and utter sh*thouses how will just constantly leave you down bar Coleman Randolph Duffy maybe Egan and one or two others (Hourihane and Mcgoldrick winning me over as well) . 

The one criticism I’d have of Kenny is there hasn’t been more effort to get the likes of Obafemi Knight Smallbone Cullen O’Shea Manning etc into the squad at the likes of Christie McClean Hendrick (giving the ball way so much) Brady (atrocious again today) McClean etc lower level Championship quality is what they are (Hendrick and Brady play for PL clubs but continue to look like part time footballers for us hence get rid of them and wake them up)
Not saying the young lads mentioned above will all be world class or bonafide PL quality but they all have a high ceiling they are on the up and I’d use Wales as an outstanding example in how they bring in lads like Rodon Cabango Morrell Williams James Ampadu Wilson etc and these lads were brought into their set up before they ever signed or played for PL clubs. 

Edited by kevin100 - 11 Oct 2020 at 6:15pm
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 6:16pm
Some Mind numbing negativity on this forum. Guys saying SK should get the next campaign at least !!! Ffs . What an absolute load of bollocks statement that is. As someone that would be much more qualified to comment than some of dross comments on here Dave Edwards the former Wales player was really really impressed with the difference and quality of how Ireland looked to him today compared to what we’ve served up in the last few years . I normally like Mick McCarthy but him and Danny Gabbidon were chronic summarisers today 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 6:17pm
Good few positives from today.

Molumby - looked good today, made a few good runs and held the midfield line very well. Needs to go on loan from Brighton to really lock down his role 
Hendrick was good today, thought he was better against Slovakia but he seen a lot of the ball today and seems to be getting back to 2016 standards

Stevens had a really good game and created some chances today 

Brady hasn't played football for a long time, really hope he gets a run inhis club team to get fitness back 

Some disappointments too 

Horgan in my opinion is not up to the required standard.

Mcclean doesn't look like he can beat his man without opting to physically attack him with clumsy challenges.

Shane Long has never been a great finisher and that's when he was getting a lot of time at club level. I hope im wrong but I think he's one of the players that that lose out going forward
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 6:25pm
Fully convinced the naysayers didn't watch any of the games in the latter part of MO'N's and all of Mick's reign. If they had, there is no way they could forgot how poor performances were and how unprepared the teams were.

It's very much a work in progress but there are signs of encouragement. Our midfield, while far from perfect, now seems to know what is required of them in terms of being involved in building the play. Molumby was good today. Wouldn't like to see him in the holding role though, his energy is needed higher up the pitch.

Our biggest worry is where the goals will come from. But again, that was an existing problem before Kenny took over. We've created better chances than we have in years but we're badly lacking players who can score goals.

PM has said it previously and he's spot on. Mick's 2nd reign was a complete waste of time and money, and we would definitely be in a more positive position now if Kenny had the opportunity to work with the players for the last 18 months.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 6:29pm
Yeah, but how many foul throws did we have under Mick?
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 6:30pm
Someone mentioned Clark a few posts back, is he back fit ?

Could be an option to call up for Wednesday 
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

Some Mind numbing negativity on this forum. Guys saying SK should get the next campaign at least !!! Ffs . What an absolute load of bollocks statement that is. As someone that would be much more qualified to comment than some of dross comments on here Dave Edwards the former Wales player was really really impressed with the difference and quality of how Ireland looked to him today compared to what we’ve served up in the last few years . I normally like Mick McCarthy but him and Danny Gabbidon were chronic summarisers today 

Well we should pack up the forum as the pundits are the ones who really matter. Why comment on here at all when there are so many more qualified people out there to keep us right. The jury is out on Kenny for me but willing to give it time- he will have had the Nations League and World Cup.qualifying to implement what we all hope is a successful style but I would be prioritising success over passes and results over possession to be quite honest. Can we get both? Well if Kenny can make that happen he will be a legend and in the job for many years. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 6:36pm

Agreed I would give Kenny certainly until the 2024 Euros campaign myself and the best compliment I can pay him is you don’t here anyone saying “We don’t have the players to pass the ball” the last few days and the convo has moved from we can’t pass it 2 yards to we can’t score now.

I’m fully in agreement he’s done well a lot better then the results are indicating I’m just gutted for him he hasn’t had a bit of luck you need it in management. 

No good to the fickle idiots especially Irish people who I’m convinced have the attention span/memory of a baboon and I was just being realistic above when I said the reality is if that shower of sh*thouses  had scored one of the 5 sitters they missed in those last 2 games the naysayers would be a lot quieter. 

I hope for his sake a good portion of Brady Hendrick McClean Christie McCarthy and Stevens who was better this time then the September games but still poor and giving the ball away too much are binned and the likes of O’Shea Knight Obafemi Smallbone Cullen Connolly Idah are all brought in over the next 12 months. All fresh Young lads showing promise and playing at least as high a level and in better form as a collective.

If he doesn’t bin them I don’t think hel last 2 years as they will leave him down.

Edited by kevin100 - 11 Oct 2020 at 6:37pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Agreed I would give Kenny certainly until the 2024 Euros campaign myself and the best compliment I can pay him is you don’t here anyone saying “We don’t have the players to pass the ball” the last few days and the convo has moved from we can’t pass it 2 yards to we can’t score now.

I’m fully in agreement he’s done well a lot better then the results are indicating I’m just gutted for him he hasn’t had a bit of luck you need it in management. 

No good to the fickle idiots especially Irish people who I’m convinced have the attention span/memory of a baboon and I was just being realistic above when I said the reality is if that shower of sh*thouses  had scored one of the 5 sitters they missed in those last 2 games the naysayers would be a lot quieter. 

I hope for his sake a good portion of Brady Hendrick McClean Christie McCarthy and Stevens who was better this time then the September games but still poor and giving the ball away too much are binned and the likes of O’Shea Knight Obafemi Smallbone Cullen Connolly Idah are all brought in over the next 12 months. All fresh Young lads showing promise and playing at least as high a level and in better form as a collective.

If he doesn’t bin them I don’t think hel last 2 years as they will leave him down.
A great synopsis of the situation. Hendrick has done more this week than in four years. McCarthy has shown that he still has a role for us too. Molumby was very good today. Our biggest problems over the past 5-6 years were the lack of a decent midfielder, or two, and the lack of a goalscorer and Kenny seems to have solved the first one.
The goalscorer might be more difficult. I think a part of it is a lack of belief in the squad as a whole. Long, Horgan and Hourihane all had chances that they should be scoring this week. If we continue to create them we will eventually take one or two and then the belief will follow from that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 38>
  Share Topic