You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most over rated player in world football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 21>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 2:54pm
The Firmino one is laughable. Would agree on Pogba and Maguire, especially Maguire. He's shocking
Some people just deserve a slap
Sponsored Links

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 3:23pm
Maguire is a victim of his price tag, I wouldn't bother including him in this thread as I don't think there are too many pundits or regular fans that think he is anything more than a good centre back and at the moment he isn't even that. 

Dybala and Griezmann, anytime I have seen them play they haven't done anything of note.
It would damage this forums' reputation
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Maguire is a victim of his price tag, I wouldn't bother including him in this thread as I don't think there are too many pundits or regular fans that think he is anything more than a good centre back and at the moment he isn't even that. 

Dybala and Griezmann, anytime I have seen them play they haven't done anything of note.

I agree with Dybala granted I don't watch much Serie A football anymore but anytime I've seen him i've wondered what the hype is about.

Griezmann was brilliant from 2016-2018 but winning the WC seems to have gone to his head and made him believe he is better then he is.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by DublinScouse1916 DublinScouse1916 wrote:

Coutinho. Even when he was at Liverpool he was great for scoring a worldie but that's it. No shock that he'shardly played since leaving Liverpool. Even before joining them he was nothing special. Lauren Robert was great at scoring worldies too. 

HE was fairly ever present for Bayern last year when fit, ankle injury fecked him since Feb and he was only coming back into it during Champions League.

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Harry Kane would be up there too but in fairness he has looked good this season.
Kane "overrated"?

In fairness that comment is complete bollox.

LOL

Why’s he still at a small club? 

Lack of ambition or overrated?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

[QUOTE=BrendanD88]Harry Kane would be up there too but in fairness he has looked good this season.
Kane "overrated"?

In fairness that comment is complete bollox.

LOL
[/QUOTE

I assume he is fishing.

He will end up Englands all time top goal scorer and will get close to Shearers premier league record.

Shearer was another footballer who was extremely overrated.
DublinScouse1916 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DublinScouse1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Coutinho. Even when he was at Liverpool he was great for scoring a worldie but that's it. No shock that he'shardly played since leaving Liverpool. Even before joining them he was nothing special. Lauren Robert was great at scoring worldies too. 

HE was fairly ever present for Bayern last year when fit, ankle injury fecked him since Feb and he was only coming back into it during Champions League.

I could post a picture of Djimi Traore with that trophy. Means nothing. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 4:32pm

Coutinho. Even when he was at Liverpool he was great for scoring a worldie but that's it. No shock that he'shardly played since leaving Liverpool. Even before joining them he was nothing special. Lauren Robert was great at scoring worldies too

A poor man's Morten Gamst Pedersen.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

I remember some years back when Martin O'Neill was a studio pundit at some Finals tournament and he went off on one on Zlatan and how overrated he was.

I think he may have called him "the most overrated player I've ever seen"? LOL
The fact remains that Zlatan never did it in the Champions League and that's a serious mark against his worth as a player

And Messi has never done it for Argentina....
Messi has done it for Argentina though

But even if he hadn't, the comparisons would be apples and oranges

Zlatan has always been a massive under performer at the top level of club football

- If you look at eg Pele/Brazil, Maradona/Argentina, Ronaldo/Portugal, you'll see all 3 achieved far more in World Cups/Copa America/Euro Champs. Messi even retired from Argentina (twice?) because he was getting nowhere with them.

And I'm not comparing him with Zlatan as a player (he's superior), merely saying that if you consider ZI "overrated" from his CL record, then you could apply the same to LM on his international record. I don't do either.

As for ZI's club career generally, if he's such a "massive underperformer", why have so many top clubs in top leagues paid so much for him over two decades?

Something to do with hundreds of goals and hundreds of games?

Edited by Territorial - 05 Oct 2020 at 5:52pm
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 6:07pm
James McCarthy if you go by this forum alone. You'd swear he was world class....until you actually see him play.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 6:20pm

I remember some years back when Martin O'Neill was a studio pundit at some Finals tournament and he went off on one on Zlatan and how overrated he was.

I think he may have called him "the most overrated player I've ever seen"? LOL
The fact remains that Zlatan never did it in the Champions League and that's a serious mark against his worth as a player

And Messi has never done it for Argentina....
Messi has done it for Argentina though

But even if he hadn't, the comparisons would be apples and oranges

Zlatan has always been a massive under performer at the top level of club football

- If you look at eg Pele/Brazil, Maradona/Argentina, Ronaldo/Portugal, you'll see all 3 achieved far more in World Cups/Copa America/Euro Champs. Messi even retired from Argentina (twice?) because he was getting nowhere with them.

And I'm not comparing him with Zlatan as a player (he's superior), merely saying that if you consider ZI "overrated" from his CL record, then you could apply the same to LM on his international record. I don't do either.

As for ZI's club career generally, if he's such a "massive underperformer", why have so many top clubs in top leagues paid so much for him over two decades?

Something to do with hundreds of goals and hundreds of games?
Messi has got the Golden Ball award for best player at a World Cup and has consistently delivered for Argentina in the face of some appalling management and tactics

Anyway that's irrelevant to Zlatan

The point is that Zlatan has always played for teams who aspired to challenge at the business end of the Champions League and in circa 15 seasons of knockout Champions League football, he's never produced the goods in the knockout rounds

For a player that is so lauded you'd think he'd have produced the goods once in that time but it never happened

And that's the level at which you have to produce the goods to be considered one of the real greats

Zlatan was an individualist and a stylist and capable of some sublime moments, but he was not a team player at the highest level 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

James McCarthy if you go by this forum alone. You'd swear he was world class....until you actually see him play.

You like an exaggeration Conan? 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:48pm
Jack Wilshere.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Jack Wilshere.
Provided the ammunition for Theo Walcott to pull the trigger when England won the 2014 and 2108 World Cups.
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Bang average. But he did play well against Sweden in 2013 in Stockholm. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 9:13pm

Messi has got the Golden Ball award for best player at a World Cup...
One of Blatter's better jokes, drawing guffaws all round the world for days afterwards.

... and has consistently delivered for Argentina in the face of some appalling management and tactics
Ah right, blame others for the fact that Messi's Argentina has never won a Copa America (4 or 5 decent teams, played every two years), never mind a World Cup.

Of course, his 70 goals in 138 internationals is very impressive. I mean, on a goals-per-game basis, it's nearly up with Zlatan's 62 in 116. Of course Sweden doubtless have vastly superior management and tactics, as well as vastly better teammates than Messi has to carry for Argentina.

The point is that Zlatan has always played for teams who aspired to challenge at the business end of the Champions League and in circa 15 seasons of knockout Champions League football, he's never produced the goods in the knockout rounds

For a player that is so lauded you'd think he'd have produced the goods once in that time but it never happened

And that's the level at which you have to produce the goods to be considered one of the real greats
Zlatan has played for top teams in all five of Europe's top leagues and scored goals in all of them - still is, in fact, at 39 years of age.

He's hasn't had the luxury of (virtually) picking the team at arguably the best club in the world for a period, where outstanding teammates are provided to build the team around him.

Which is not to detract fromn Messi, but Zlatan's stats make a solid case for saying that he was "Best of the Rest" behind Messi and Ronaldo for the best part of a decade.

Zlatan was an individualist and a stylist and capable of some sublime moments, but he was not a team player at the highest level.
I think you are being distracted by Zlatan's arrogance.

Supreme ego is not incompatible with also being a fine team player - see eg Eric Cantona.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 9:21pm
Zlatan played at Ajax, Juventus, Inter Milan, Barcelona, AC Milan, PSG, Manchester United

These are all clubs for which a really top player should be able to impose himself on the knockout stages of the Champions League

The question was: What did he do in the knockout stages of the Champions League?

That's why you responded - you objected to me pointing out that he had done fook all in all his years where he had the chance to be real force at that level

So what has he ever done in the knockout stages of the Champions League? 

What are his great moments in the knockout stages of the Champions League?

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 10:23pm
100% agree about Zlatan, always have.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 21>
  Share Topic