Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2022 World Cup - Permutations - see page 17

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 43>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 11:57am
Ok the draw for me would be Holland or Italy , Ukraine or Romania  , Israel or Monty , Azerbaijan or Kosovo and Malta .

If i got two out of that lot i would be happy .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Ok the draw for me would be Holland or Italy , Ukraine or Romania  , Israel or Monty , Azerbaijan or Kosovo and Malta .

And I think we would all be even happier if those away trips are scheduled in the autumn (seeing as we're unlikely to be still unable to travel in March). LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 2:00pm
The FAI would be hoping for a six team group with 2 of the 3 March game's away from home from a financial point of view. If that works out a lower seeded team at home if fixtures plan out that way. Does anybody know if the fixtures will be released tomorrow?
hulkhogan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hulkhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 3:01pm
When is the draw lads?
Whacha gonna do
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by hulkhogan hulkhogan wrote:

When is the draw lads?

Tomorrow at 5pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 4:13pm
Probably 6pm by the time they finish all the sh*te talk. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Hopefully with it being a video draw, they bin off the usual hour build up of showing us goals from San Marino v Andorra and interviews with unused subs from previous tournaments.

Personally hoping for a trip to Kiev, Minsk or Tel Aviv

Well it will be quick if they show our goals as part of the build up.

Would say there will be pent up demand for these games if we can attend later in 2021. Personal preference would be Croatia, Romania, anyone from pot 4 except Belarus, Latvia/Lithuania/Estonia & Moldova.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

The FAI would be hoping for a six team group with 2 of the 3 March game's away from home from a financial point of view. If that works out a lower seeded team at home if fixtures plan out that way. Does anybody know if the fixtures will be released tomorrow?

Not sure what the time frame is -

Is it still the top seeds get to decide on their games and then 2nd seed etc   If there is no agreement then it’s done by the computer.

xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I would like Malta as well. And maybe Azerbaijan. Other than that though, I'd prefer different locations to you. 

Croatia, Slovakia, Georgia and Cyprus for me. From a traveling perspective of course LOL
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Not sure what the time frame is -

Is it still the top seeds get to decide on their games and then 2nd seed etc   If there is no agreement then it’s done by the computer.
Not any more - fixtures have been set by computer since the start of the Euro 2016 qualifiers. With the draw at 5pm tomorrow, I'd say it will be the following day before the fixtures are announced. 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 5:02pm
I’d nearly expect them to delay announcing the fixtures until after Christmas. I’d imagine they’d want to see what the Covid situation is across the continent and make a priority of avoiding empty stadiums
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 5:50pm
An unkind draw with a 5 team group and it could be a very difficult March.

So a 6 team group without long travel would I think would be what Kenny would be hoping for. March fixtures playing the pot5/6 teams would be helpful to building belief around the squad.

Pot 1 Denmark and Croatia are the only 2 that look like they could struggle to qualify directly

Pot 2 order of preference: Slovakia, Romania,
Wales, Austria, Serbia.

There will be 2-3 groups that will be very hard for the pot 3 teams - heres hoping it’s not us.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 5:55pm
Draw will be shown live on BBC iPlayer as well. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

So a 6 team group without long travel would I think would be what Kenny would be hoping for. March fixtures playing the pot5/6 teams would be helpful to building belief around the squad.

Pot 1 Denmark and Croatia are the only 2 that look like they could struggle to qualify directly

Wales, Austria, Serbia.

There will be 2-3 groups that will be very hard for the pot 3 teams - heres hoping it’s not us.

Denmark Croatia and I’d add in Holland as well would be the 3 that like you say give a pot 3 or even a decent pot 4 team a semblance of a chance of qualifying directly. 

I’d take a strong pot 2 team like a Poland or Switzerland if it meant getting a softer Pot 1 team as crazy as that sounds. Just think it could suit us in that they will be liable to take points off each other and similar to the Euro 2020 qualifying group would give us a chance.

We have often been suited to playing teams in that scenario that cancel each other out and gives us the opportunity to put ourselves in the mix by nicking results. 
The World Cup 2002 qualifying group and the Euro 2016 qualifying group had similar looks to it and suited us.
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Wales, Austria, Serbia.

Denmark Croatia and I’d add in Holland as well would be the 3 that like you say give a pot 3 or even a decent pot 4 team a semblance of a chance of qualifying directly. 

I’d take a strong pot 2 team like a Poland or Switzerland if it meant getting a softer Pot 1 team as crazy as that sounds. Just think it could suit us in that they will be liable to take points off each other and similar to the Euro 2020 qualifying group would give us a chance.

We have often been suited to playing teams in that scenario that cancel each other out and gives us the opportunity to put ourselves in the mix by nicking results. 
The World Cup 2002 qualifying group and the Euro 2016 qualifying group had similar looks to it and suited us.

You are speaking with more experience than me from previous qualifications. However LOL

Imo you are underestimating Nederlands. I think they are the top 4 or 5 teams in Europe. 

Also, I don't think we should be hoping to top the group. It's possible, but very unlikely. We would all be over the moon if we came second and got a playoff - so a weak 2nd seed has to be the aim. 

"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 10:53pm
Would have been far too young to remember the 2002 World Cup qualifying but have a look at the group format it set up that way Portugal Netherlands and ourselves 3 teams really.

The other 2 cancelled each other out combined with us knicking a result away to the Dutch early on put us bang in contention from the getgo and made it a 3 horse race instead of a two horse race.

Euro 2020 similar the sneaked draw in in Denmark blew it wide open made it a 3 horse race and in turn piled the pressure on the 2 fancied teams as such.

Difference was we messed up against Georgia away if we won that we were nearly odds on to qualify and the Swiss would have been under all merciful pressure to beat us.

I do get what your saying but my worry is we draw a Spain England or Belgium that run teams over in qualifying and we play them early and they do similar we could setback. Piles pressure on Kenny then. 

The Dutch or the Portuguese are quality you ask me at major tournament at the moment who I’d rather draw the Dutch/Portugal or England/Spain I’d take England/Spain all day long.

In qualifying for whatever reason the Dutch and Portugal  in recent years have the tendency to be bone idle as opposed to England and Spain who aren’t and steamroll opposition.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 11:56pm
We always have to hope for a kind draw when we are third seeds.
Hopefully, we'll get first or second seeds on the downward slide.

It's likely this campaign will be a rebuild, waiting for youngsters to progress.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 3:02am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Would have been far too young to remember the 2002 World Cup qualifying but have a look at the group format it set up that way Portugal Netherlands and ourselves 3 teams really.

The other 2 cancelled each other out combined with us knicking a result away to the Dutch early on put us bang in contention from the getgo and made it a 3 horse race instead of a two horse race.

We didn't knick that result. We threw away a two goal lead in a game we should have seen out. Was very disappointing.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 43>
  Share Topic