You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgaria Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 62>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

This is the Bulgaria that lost 0-6 to England minus their best player who retired and their second best, in quarantine. Scraping a draw is a poor result. Big plus though is we tried playing some football at least, despite not really having the players to do it. The results for MON and Mick were decent enough with what they had but the style of play was what dragged you down. At least we should be a bit more watchable now.
Already the excuses for the preordained great one James McCarthy. He had a thorough enough fitness test so can't use that as an excuse and its exactly the same non-performance he's contributed 95% of the matches he has appeared for us. for those who can remember that far back to when he last turned up for us.
Connolly looked dangerous and hopefully there to stay. Hendrick at least showed himself and got on the ball, finally being up against players he couldn't be too embarrassed by. Still can't do anything useful with it when it is at his feet though. Good to see Brady back and playing where he is comfortable. May as well make Duffy our centre forward now, he's a bigger goal threat than any other options we have, and has been a while now.

The big difference betweent he long ball under Jack v Mick/MON is that under Jack it was an entertaining long ball game. We would really throw the cat amongst the pigeons in Lansdowne especially and there would be chance after chance created and mayhem in the opposition 1/3.  It was crude but exciting.  The long ball under Mick/MON was sterile and boring.  A hoof up to no particular area to a lone striker who was outnumbered 4 to 1 and it was just like handing the opposition the ball. There was no excitement.  With Jack the ball was played behind the full back and the whole team ran in on top of them and suffocated them and we created a glut of chances.   That did not happen under the last few managers. 

Kenny's system is fine.  He needs better personnel.  One thing I would worry about is that we were not pressed at all tonight.  If the opposition press us I wonder how comfortable Duffy et al. will be on the ball.Ermm

I think we caught Bulgaria on the hop. They'd have been watching tapes of us under Mick LOL

They wouldn't have been expecting us to play out from the back so didnt press. When it was clear we were intent on playing out, they didnt/couldn't adapt their game plan.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Sponsored Links

rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Olaf Olaf wrote:

The LOI fans are out in force. Sorry fellas, the games up here. This can’t continue, if we don’t win our next 3 games he should go. I’ll also point out the obvious, we’ve a very important game in the near future. And starting Idah who can’t get many minutes at Norwich, yet we left Obafemi In the u21s who plays regularly for a Southampton side in the PL is nothing sort of ridiculous. It wasn’t a Denmark or hell even Germany. It was Bulgaria. Could anyone even name a Bulgaria player on the street, I doubt it.

When did Mick win 3 games in a row in his second term in charge?
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:12am

The LOI fans are out in force. Sorry fellas, the games up here. This can’t continue, if we don’t win our next 3 games he should go. I’ll also point out the obvious, we’ve a very important game in the near future. And starting Idah who can’t get many minutes at Norwich, yet we left Obafemi In the u21s who plays regularly for a Southampton side in the PL is nothing sort of ridiculous. It wasn’t a Denmark or hell even Germany. It was Bulgaria. Could anyone even name a Bulgaria player on the street, I doubt it.
Depends what street they were on. I reckon they are more likely to be recognised in Varna than Barna.
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:12am

Your right. Let's get a manager in at U 21 a few years ago to get the Young pl layers playing a system to take over the senior team 2 years later but after a 1-1 draw in a game played before any players played a competitive game, he needs to win the next 3 games or sacked 

Are you on the weed tonight? 

Edited by Twoinarow - 04 Sep 2020 at 1:12am
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
MisterX View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:12am
And once again, Monk's played it to Trojan, who's again switched to the left Bob.
- He must be ambidextrous, Bob.
I don't know about that, Bob. But he certainly can use both feet.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:16am
England had Gazza 19 at Italia 90.

We'll have Covid 19 at Euro 2020
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:23am

starting Idah who can’t get many minutes at Norwich, yet we left Obafemi In the u21s who plays regularly for a Southampton side in the PL is nothing sort of ridiculous.

Some truth to this for sure; no disrespect to Idah. 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:57am
Apart from the Simpsons meme, this thread is a load of sh*t.

If we’re serious about rebuilding the senior team, and all of Irish international football, there’s going to be some bumps in the road. I’d take two years of sh*tty results if it means we start actually playing football — which I don’t think we have done for over a decade.

Have some backbone for f**ks sake 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 2:09am
On James McCarthy, I think we all had big hopes for him but he’s just not good enough, it has gone on too long with him now. Simply doesn’t have the ability to control the tempo and has zero creativity, Hendrick is even worse, both of them hiding from the ball for the majority of the match and then struggle when they get on it. 

The midfield will be Kennys biggest problem , there’s no way the likes of Cullen, Molumby, Byrne, Browne & even some of the u21 lads could do any worse than what started last night, all they need to do is show for the ball and they’ll have already surpassed them
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
Dunne23 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunne23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 5:16am

Agree re McCarthy. If we're going to play that sort of football I think Cullen, Byrne and another, possibly Browne or Brady would be the best midfield. Cullen to me looks like the closest thing to someone who can dictate the tempo. He can make tackles and is comfortable enough on the ball. Byrne from.the little that I admittedly have seen of him is probably our most technical player and I think Browne is quick, tenacious and can get goals. I have no doubt that the movement of those three at the very least would be better than the three who played last night. I realise that it's easy to throw names of people who aren't in the team/squad and say they're the answer but I think all three did well in the previous games for us
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 5:53am
Unpopular opinion incoming; I don’t think McCarthy was the problem, the overall shape of the midfield was the problem.

When you play 2 Box to Box Midfielders in a 3 man midfield it’s immediately an upset in balance. McCarthy was doing his role as a deep lying playmaker, it’s irrelevant how well he did it, Hendrick was decent in his get forward role which left Hourihane to do what exactly? It’s no coincidence he had a poor game, he was left without a role which he’s effective in as it already had Jeff doing it.

Another example of it elsewhere would be Sven at England, he stubbornly persisted with a midfield 3 of Gerrard and Lampard and it never worked one bit because it doesn’t matter how good you are, once you have 2 of the same type of player in a 3 man midfield the whole shape falls apart

The midfield needed someone who can retain possession and build up the next phase of attack - Arter was probably the most suitable.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

think molomby for hour babe would be a good change. Coleman probably to play on Sunday and McGoldrick in for Idah.  McCarthy is not fit yet either so Arter May start 

you talking to murph?

SmileTongue
Looks like our secret is out Baldie Confused
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 6:58am
That is a team we should be beating, lucky to get a draw in the end. One thing we always do well is go right to the end when chasing a goal. 

Positives for me
- We barely hoofed the ball at all
- Can see SK is trying to implement a system, this will take time but good to see an actual system being put in place 
- O’Dowda done well first half, dropped off a bit second but think he has a lot to offer to Ireland 

Negatives for me
-Duffy isn’t suited to playing out from the back. Looks nervous and can tell he wants to go long - but IMO he can’t be dropped 
- Really crying out for a creative midfielder
- don’t think Stevens and Doherty can be as effective for us as they are for club. Think we would need to go as a back 5
- don’t think the gamble on Idah worked out, should have went with Long I think. 

3 points on Sunday and we can’t be too down about this international window. This will take time for Kenny to know his best squad never mind team. On Sunday, Arter for McCarthy, Long or McGoldrick if fit for Idah. Coleman for Doherty if we play a back 4. Roll on Sunday! 
“I managed to stay alive for 63 and a half years, baby”
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 7:13am
After the dust has settled last night and the light of day has shone it was his first game in charge and goodness they did look like it was their first training session .
I think there will be changes on Sunday for sure really like to see us get hold of midfield .
But the bottom line it's the Slovakia game which is the important one for sure .

Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 7:27am
so much OTT comment here and I never knew Ian Harte was also
A pilot.   

Jacks first game was a defeat to wales at home in a poor game. 

Micks first game was against Russia and we lost 2 nil at home

Brian Kerr was a 2 nil away win to Scotland with a decent performance. 

Stan won his first game 3Nil against Sweden 

Trap had a dull 1 all draw against Serbia 

O Neill’s first game was a 3 nil win at home against Latvia. 

Mick had a poor performance in a win against
Gilbraltar 

So the first game gives no indication of how successful the manager is going to be in fact there may be a slight inverse relationship between first game and likely success in the job.  

It was clear there was a change of style but the hardest thing
To do in football is get a team to cut open the opposition esp when they drop deep.  This is not going to be done in two training sessions.  McCarthy and Duffy were not fit imo.  Duffy admitted as much and I thought Doherty was sluggish.  Lads writing players off at this stage is crazy.  I do think our midfield needs more pace and guile in it though.   Connolly will have a long future for Ireland I think Idah will too.  O Dowda is a strange one and I hope he can kick on as he shows glimpses of real talent.  

Overall the intent is there the sharpness and execution is not and we are more open due to being at the early stages of trying to play a more expansive game. 

Edited by Baldrick - 04 Sep 2020 at 7:36am
AKA pedantic kunt
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 7:31am

so much OTT comment here and I never knew Ian Harte was also
A pilot.   

Jacks first game was a defeat to wales at home in a poor game. 

Micks first game was against Russia and we lost 2 nil at home

Brian Kerr was a 2 nil away win to Scotland with a decent performance. 

Stan won his first game 3Nil against Sweden 

Trap had a dull 1 all draw against Serbia 

O Neill’s first game was a 3 nil win at home against Latvia. 

Mick had a poor performance in a win against
Gilbraltar 

So the first game gives no indication of how successful the manager is going to be in fancy there may be a slight inverse relationship between first game and likely success in the job.  

It was clear there was a change of style but the hardest thing
To do in football is get a team to cut open the opposition esp when they drop deep.  This is going to be done in two training sessions.  McCarthy and Duffy were not fit imo.  Duffy admitted as much and I thought Doherty was sluggish.  Lads writing players off at this stage is crazy.  I do think our midfield needs more pace and guile in it though.   Connolly will have a long future for Ireland I think Idah will too.  O Dowda is a strange one and I hope he can kick on as she shows glimpses of real talent.  

Overall the intent is there the sharpness and execution is not and we are more open due to being at the early stages of trying to play a more expansive game. 

Agree with all of this.

I'd also add that it took Chris Coleman and Michael O'Neill a long period of time before their teams settled.

There was clear progress for all to see last night.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 7:47am
the modern football fan, some amount of clowns on here 😂.

A couple of training sessions to try change the hoofball and negative mindset among the squad, gives a bit of youth a chance - let in a very sloppy goal and came back to rescue a point (only for sloppy goal, they’d have won it in). Positive in going for winner too.

Early days, but I’m very positive after last night. Enjoyed it, could see what was being tried. Connolly a major plus. I’d bring Coleman and long in for Sunday (would like to have option to bring Byrne in too but too late for that).

It’s not going to change overnight - but first half especially was better than I expected under the circumstances.
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 7:57am
Good result away from home. Bring on Finland Sunday.

Can see a Robinson Mcgoldrick Connolly front line 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 62>
  Share Topic