Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57536
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 7:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bulgaria Match Thread
Posted By: nvidic
Subject: Bulgaria Match Thread
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:04pm
Couldn't see a thread for the actual match, game confirmed for Sofia, squad out Monday, be very interesting to see who gets in

Replies:
Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Couldn't see a thread for the actual match, game confirmed for Sofia, squad out Monday, be very interesting to see who gets in

Gonna be fascinating isn’t it. Hard to know what sort of a squad hel pick initially id imagine he won’t be picking a 35-40 man squad. Will have 28-30 at most (initial 23 and a few stand by lads).

The midfield is the most intriguing area a spot we were very weak in and McCarthy Arter Brady back on the scene combined with the likes of Cullen Molumby Smallbone Knight Ronan getting very handy on the scene it could be a very new look midfield roster to the batch picked for the Denmark squad let’s say.

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:27pm
I see that.  assume the government have given the FAI an exception from the quarantine rules then.  

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:57pm
You expect so considering their continually breaking the rules themselves.

Good news all the same.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:07pm
Think he'll change much lads starting line up wise? 

I don't think he will tbh. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:27pm
the biggest change will be the intention to play football and try to dominate the ball.  whether that it done with a
Change in personnel early on is doubtful.  I suspect no change to back four or 1 change max.   

McCarthy will replace Whelan and I think
McClean won’t start as much. 

We are likely to play a 4 3 3 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

the biggest change will be the intention to play football and try to dominate the ball.  whether that it done with a
Change in personnel early on is doubtful.  I suspect no change to back four or 1 change max.   

Would agree with most of that but it'd be a big call for him not to start McClean. I would say he's probably more likely to start based on nothing other than it's Kenny's first game (a competitive one) in charge and I suspect Kenny might be a bit more conservative than we think he would be. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:37pm

We'll see.  He'll probably come up with some excuse to pull out.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Would agree with most of that but it'd be a big call for him not to start McClean. I would say he's probably more likely to start based on nothing other than it's Kenny's first game (a competitive one) in charge and I suspect Kenny might be a bit more conservative than we think he would be. 

Maybe but in the medium term if you are trying to keep the ball you won’t have a player like McClean in your team.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:48pm
Hopefully McCarthy is back, Whelan didn't do much wrong but too old now I think

Agree with Baldrick on his point about not much personnel change but a change is approach 

The Doherty situation and how he approaches the front players will be interesting, McGoldrick and/or Long I'll guess, would love to see Obafemi and/or Connolly mind 

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:54pm
Mcclean is definitely a player that has earned his place in the squad on merit, but I don't think he's a definite starting player anymore.

If, as we kinda suspect, kenny goes the 433 route, i can't see where mcclean would would fit. The midfield may very well start with three of mccarthy, hendrick, molumby, cullen, Hourihane. All of which play more central than out wide. 

Up front will be McGoldrick, long, connolly and maybe Robinson and obafemi as next in line.

Additionally - we know that mcclean is a work horse but historically we know that he's not a player to keep possession well. 

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:56pm
i dont see a front three where Long and McGoldrick play working. Long isnt a winger and he hasnt any real technical ability on the ball so is that really a goer? I thinknit may have to be one or the other.

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

i dont see a front three where Long and McGoldrick play working. Long isnt a winger and he hasnt any real technical ability on the ball so is that really a goer? I thinknit may have to be one or the other.

I agree but that’s where he played against Italy at euro 2016.  

That night we went with McClean long and Murphy up front and McCarthy Hendrick and Brady in midfield. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 9:05pm
I'd love to see McGoldrick and long given the chance to play up front together. 

Id be the first to admit that the goals will be hard come by but we have seen mccgoldrick play up front in a very isolated role and yet still hold up the ball, bring players into the game and cause defenders real problems.

We have seen long do the same on many occasions. I feel having both up front causing problems for defenders might work very well.

Worth a 45 minute try anyway 

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 9:16pm

Randolph 
Doherty Egan Duffy Stevens 
      McCarthy Molumby
         Hendrick?? 
Connolly Mcgoldrick. McClean 

Is this a fair shout? Personally I’d have Robinson or Obafemi over McClean and Hourihane I think is seriously worth a shot in the No.10 role. Against teams that we will dominate the ball against (you would hope against Bulgaria and Finland that would be the intention) Hourihane in that pocket and with his set piece ability would be interesting. He’s well capable of finding the back of the net too does it consistently for a midfielder another thing worth considering in a team that may not initially have a huge amount of goals in it. 

Posted By: Liam Green
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 9:23pm
Shane Longs overall game and touch has improved a lot over the last couple of years so that shouldn’t be a problem and he still has good pace. Almost Everyone is mentioning James McCarthy coming straight back into the team and I’d agree with that. Who do we go with  if he’s not fit which is always a big possibility with him. 

Posted By: galwayman
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 9:26pm
The most interesting aspect of this game for me is what our style of play is on the night.
Kenny obviously won’t have much time with the players but you’d hope we’d start to see how he likes his teams to play in terms of keeping the ball etc.
I assume this game will be on tv?

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 10:55pm
Imagining a front of Obafemi, Long, Connolly...

Dear god, the pace! 

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Dear god, the pace! 

It would be dynamite altogether wouldn’t it would real fun to watch if nothing else. Think Mcgoldrick dropping deep allowing the 2 boys Connolly and Obafemi to cut inside let’s say and allowing the full backs to overlap like the U21s could be a fun watch. 
The big one for me is Doherty. Talks of accomadating both I can’t buy it we have 2 attacking full backs Stevens and Doherty that most teams in Europe bar the few top sides don’t possess. You have them you need utilise them and I think you must have the balls to put Coleman on the bench from the get go. 

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 10:47am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Dear god, the pace! 

It would be dynamite altogether wouldn’t it would real fun to watch if nothing else. Think Mcgoldrick dropping deep allowing the 2 boys Connolly and Obafemi to cut inside let’s say and allowing the full backs to overlap like the U21s could be a fun watch. 
The big one for me is Doherty. Talks of accomadating both I can’t buy it we have 2 attacking full backs Stevens and Doherty that most teams in Europe bar the few top sides don’t possess. You have them you need utilise them and I think you must have the balls to put Coleman on the bench from the get go. 
What kind of dream are you living in? Kenny has already come out and said he’s going to try to play both in the team. Anyone that things Doherty is as good a defender as Coleman needs to get their head checked. 

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 10:53am
Yeah the Denmark game really encapsulated that with his goal and his error 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 11:35am
it’s a great match to get started with. Chance to travel together under the new manager against a team who have been very poor of late.

I agree, I don’t think there will be so much change in the squad. Given that he has said he doesn’t like naming those massive squads like the previous managers. 

Will be interesting to see what happens with Glen Whelan, will he keep him or will James McCarthy or Arter come back in. If the one or the other come back in, is there even space for Jack Byrne? Can’t see him not having Browne, Hendrick and hourihane in the squad and there is only so much room. He has also mentioned Molumby so it’s quite competitive for a spot there.

Rest of the squad picks itself really. Think it’s come too soon for Parrott

Posted By: RobsYourUncle
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 12:18pm

Best guess at the full squad:

Randolph/Travers/Kelleher

Doherty, Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Stevens, O'Shea, K Long

Hendrick, Hourihane, McCarthy, Browne, McClean, Molumby, Brady, Cullen

Long, McGoldrick, Connolly, Obafemi, Robinson.

Agree it comes a bit soon for Parrott/Idah. Close call between Robinson and Maguire for me as well. Could opt for O'Hara rather than Kelleher but I've a feeling he'll want Kelleher involved with the seniors. Byrne misses out as well.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 12:19pm
Biggest indication of change will have to be Whelan out and Molomby in. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 12:22pm
Will be strange not being able to travel for this.
Will people be staying at home, going to the local, watch with Friends?

Beat them 3-1 only last year so would be hoping for more of the same. 

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 12:23pm
My guess.... 

Based on 25 man squad, of which 23 available for match day squad. 

Goalkeepers:

Randolph
Travers
O'Hara

Defenders:

Duffy
Egan
Long
Stevens
Coleman
O'Shea
Manning
Doherty

Midfielders:

McClean
Hendrick
Cullen
Molumby
McCarthy
Byrne
Hourihane
Browne

Attackers:

Robinson
Long
Connolly
Idah
McGoldrick
Maguire

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

I can't see Phoebe or Monica being interested. 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Ross doesn't strike me as a football fan either. 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

My guess.... 

Based on 25 man squad, of which 23 available for match day squad. 

Goalkeepers:

Randolph
Travers
O'Hara

Defenders:

Duffy
Egan
Long
Stevens
Coleman
O'Shea
Manning
Doherty

Midfielders:

McClean
Hendrick
Cullen
Molumby
McCarthy
Byrne
Hourihane
Browne

Attackers:

Robinson
Long
Connolly
Idah
McGoldrick
Maguire

Would think now that clark is back from injury he could find a place, but maybe too early. But your defence is sound.

Midfield I would think that Byrne and Browne would be the most under threat. If like to see smallbone and knight ahead of them.

Attack I'd have obafemi ahead of maguire 

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Monica's going out with an Irish lad so you never know.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Monica's going out with an Irish lad so you never know.
I came across this the other day. Some lad from Snow Patrol or Kodaline or one of those bands. Very odd!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 2:54pm
The goalkeeping situation is a definite concern. None of the goalkeepers mentioned above, bar perhaps Travers, are likely to be playing first team football at the start of next season. Seán McDermott is injured as well.

There must be strong grounds for calling up Jack Bonham at Gillingham. 26 and expected to start next season as number one for his club. He's been playing well the past couple of seasons in League One by all accounts.

Posted By: Dots1982
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 3:32pm
is jack Byrne a take it off the back 4 midfielder or a Bruno Fernandes/Wes type midfielder! I’ve seen him as both for rovers but there’s a question of whether he would be good enough do the former for Ireland. Maybe he should really concentrate on being a wes type midfielder for Ireland’s sake as apparently Kenny plays with a no. 10.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 4:00pm
I feel thar if byrne was at Southampton he would be behind smallbone, 

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 4:14pm
They aren't the same type of players. Smallbone is more of an orthodox midfielder, Byrne is an out and out attacking midfielder.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 5:17pm
Are there 5 subs in the NL games ?

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Dear god, the pace! 

What kind of dream are you living in? Kenny has already come out and said he’s going to try to play both in the team. Anyone that things Doherty is as good a defender as Coleman needs to get their head checked. 

Of course he is a better defender. That would be fine in 1996 modern football a full back is as useful for his attacking abilities as he is for his defensive abilities. Doherty is an exhibit A example of this. I presume you think their is absolutely no chance of Doherty starting right back whatsoever by that comment? 

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 7:53pm
Wolves had the 5th best defensive record in the league last season. They were remarkably solid at the back, and any problems they did have, usually came down their left hand side.

Coleman's looked far from perfect at the back for Everton, though their defense has looked as resilient as pudding in general at the best of times.

From a defense perspective, I'd have no problems with Doherty at the back. To quote Bryan Hamilton: he is big and strong, and he's good in the air and wins challenges. It goes without saying he offers more than Coleman going forward, and if Coleman is better defensively, the difference is negligible.

We've been too loyal to players in the past. Whelan's the biggest example, and you could argue McClean is another one right now. To the detriment of the team, Given has played when he clearly wasn't fit and so has Walters.

We should pick the the eleven best players and if someone isn't match fit, the manager has to be bold enough and strong enough to make that call before the match rather than trying to fight fires while it's in the balance.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:15pm
If Doherty had done his job against the Danes, we would have finished second.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Thats bollix

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:27pm

Thats bollix

Plus 1,

While casually ignoring the fact that Denmark should of easily beaten us in the first game, only for some woeful finishing on their part. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:31pm

Dear god, the pace! 

Of course he is a better defender. That would be fine in 1996 modern football a full back is as useful for his attacking abilities as he is for his defensive abilities. Doherty is an exhibit A example of this. I presume you think their is absolutely no chance of Doherty starting right back whatsoever by that comment? 
Doherty is nowhere near as effective at right back as he is playing as a wing back which gives him more freedom going forward. I would like us to try playing three at the back Coleman- Duffy- Egan and then Doherty and Stevens as wing backs but I don’t think Kenny will try that formation. Flat back four with Coleman right back and Doherty right midfield is most likely going by his previous comments.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:33pm
Why would anyone put Coleman into CB in a back three when we have Clark, Duffy, Egan available?

Zero logic.......

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:34pm
Yep, this Coleman at CB makes no sense whatsoever.

Can someone clarify the 5 subs?

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:46pm
We will never play like Sheffield United where our centre backs are expected to overlap, so with that there is absolutely zero need to start shoehorning full backs into centre back in search of added dynamism. 

Ask any manager in world football and they would relish the prospect of having genuine competition allover the park, where it may lead to having 2 players fighting for 1 position. 

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:57pm

Ah come on, it was still nil-nil, duffy played an equal part in the goal giveaway too in my opinion. 
He was otherwise our best player.  

Its a very tough call though with Coleman or Doherty. I'd give Doherty a go on the wing again

Posted By: DR.HUGO
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:07pm
with regard to the goal keeper situation Kieron Westwood should absolutely be in the squad ...I know he’s not been playing but of the names listed so far who has except O Hara and he’s currently clubless....perhaps Max OLeary has a shout?

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Thats bollix

Plus 1,

While casually ignoring the fact that Denmark should of easily beaten us in the first game, only for some woeful finishing on their part. 

That's completely irrelevant. The point is that Doherty let the man get in behind him and score.
Defensively he was was poor.

Small margins etc..

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:27pm

Thats bollix

Plus 1,

That's completely irrelevant. The point is that Doherty let the man get in behind him and score.

Small margins etc..

You said we would have finished second only for Doherty's mistake, so basically that was the sole factor over 8 games in your eyes as to why we finished third.

Aye.......

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:29pm

Thats bollix

Plus 1,

Small margins etc..

You said we would have finished second only for Doherty's mistake, so basically that was the sole factor over 8 games in your eyes as to why we finished third.

Aye.......

This was the last game whereby we knew if we win, we finish second.

Doherty's lackluster defending cost us the game.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:32pm
You're clutching at straws Horsey, I'd hope even the most blinkered Ireland fan could admit we simply didn't deserve to finish second and it didn't boil down to just one mistake or one moment.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:38pm
Doherty is our best player... forget about positions, number of games or whatever. He is the best player ireland have available and should be the first name on the team sheet.

Coleman has been better for Everton recently which is important but he's been average for ireland for a long time. If coleman gets picked ahead of Doherty, it won't be because he played himself into contention 

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:39pm

Why would anyone put Coleman into CB in a back three when we have Clark, Duffy, Egan available?

Zero logic.......
He’s played there before for Everton and done well. Clarke has barely kicked a ball since Christmas or played for us in a long time either. Is that enough logic for you?

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:42pm

Zero logic.......
He’s played there before for Everton and done well. Clarke has barely kicked a ball since Christmas or played for us in a long time either. Is that enough logic for you?

No not really tbh,

Coleman has played at centre back a mere handful of times in his whole career, but yeah let's take him out of right back at the expense of a Premiership centre back.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:45pm
Stephen Kenny -

"We will be playing 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3"

That seems to be going over lads heads on here.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:55pm

Zero logic.......

No not really tbh,

Coleman has played at centre back a mere handful of times in his whole career, but yeah let's take him out of right back at the expense of a Premiership centre back.
So you don’t think it is worth a try? Clark barely featured under Mick and he’s hardly a regular in the Newcastle team the last 3 years either. Sure you might aswell throw Kevin Long into the mix too. Of course if you read my original post you would have seen my comments about four at the back which I hope will fit both

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 10:00pm
We'll be playing 4 at the back though so there's nothing to discuss on that front.

Literally the only way Doherty and Coleman will be playing is if one is at right back and the other is playing at right wing.

There is zero chance that both will start in the defence.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 10:07pm

Zero logic.......

No not really tbh,

So you don’t think it is worth a try? Clark barely featured under Mick and he’s hardly a regular in the Newcastle team the last 3 years either. Sure you might aswell throw Kevin Long into the mix too. Of course if you read my original post you would have seen my comments about four at the back which I hope will fit both

Clark has been a regular whenever he's been fit, he had an excellent season for Newcastle before he got injured.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 10:08pm

We'll be playing 4 at the back though so there's nothing to discuss on that front.

Literally the only way Doherty and Coleman will be playing is if one is at right back and the other is playing at right wing.

Ok don’t get too carried away it’s just a forum talking about the team. Once again since you really are jumping to conclusions and taking things very seriously I said that I would like to see us play like that but I also said in response to Kevin100 that as Kenny already mentioned he was going to try both players in with Doherty more than likely being on right side of midfield. Do I need to say it a third time?

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Zero logic.......

No not really tbh,

Clark has been a regular whenever he's been fit, he had an excellent season for Newcastle before he got injured.
I’m the last two seasons he’s made 11 and 14 appearances respectively in the league for them which is far from regular. There was plenty times when he was fit he wasn’t even included in the squad. 

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 10:20pm

Ok don’t get too carried away it’s just a forum talking about the team. Once again since you really are jumping to conclusions and taking things very seriously I said that I would like to see us play like that but I also said in response to Kevin100 that as Kenny already mentioned he was going to try both players in with Doherty more than likely being on right side of midfield. Do I need to say it a third time?

I merely made a point(s), it is a forum after all.

You could start using commas btw.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 10:27pm

You could start using commas for a start. 
Ah yes the old grammar argument when you have nothing else to say but want to anyway. If there was “nothing to discuss on that front” then why did you bother even making your point? 

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 10:33pm

Zero logic.......
Jesus wept! Daniel o donnell up front too maybe!

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 10:33pm

Ah yes the old grammar argument when you have nothing else to say but want to anyway. If there was “nothing to discuss on that front” then why did you bother even making your point? 

I made my point(s) , but for some reason you started waffling on about me supposedly quote "getting carried away, jumping to conclusions and taking things very seriously" which couldn't be further from the truth amigo. 

There is of course a big difference between wanting a manager to pick the team and tactics you would like to see, than lets say after Kenny has already told us all that "we'll be playing 4 at the back" , you still have some posters suggesting that we may play 5 at the back and having this idea of Doherty and Coleman starting in defence, which is a tad silly no?

This isn't me saying you've said that either, I'm just saying in general. 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 10:35pm

I quoted what our manager has said, which in turn debunked the myth surrounding us playing 5 at the back Big smile 

So there wasn't anything to discuss re the 5 at the back, when I made my point on it.

-------------

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 10:42pm

Stephen Kenny -

"We will be playing 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3"

That seems to be going over lads heads on here.

Thank you. Yeah, we aren’t playing three at the back 

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 10:44pm

I made my point(s) , but for some reason you started waffling on about me supposedly quote "getting carried away, jumping to conclusions and taking things very seriously" which couldn't be further from the truth amigo. 

There is of course a big difference between wanting a manager to pick the team and tactics you would like to see, than lets say after Kenny has already told us all that "we'll be playing 4 at the back" , you still have some posters suggesting that we may play 5 at the back and having this idea of Doherty and Coleman starting in defence, which is a tad silly no?

This isn't me saying you've said that either, I'm just saying in general. 
If it was silly this thread wouldn’t exist. Was it not silly for the posters who said that Coleman has to be dropped when Kenny has also said he’s going to try to fit both players into the team?

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 10:46pm
If we are playing a back four and Coleman can't play centre back because he hasn't played there much, well on that logic we can't play Egan, Stevens or Clark in the team as they play in a back 5 week in week out. 

Stevens doesn't play left back in a back four, he plays as a wing back in a back 5... so it would be silly to ask him to play left back? 

I think players are more versatile than this

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 12:27am

I’m only going by No.1 that Kenny has stated he won’t use a back 5 and No.2 how the U21s played if he plays 4 2 3 1 in particular with the wingers cutting in to accomadate the full backs going forward. They played a similar style Lee O’Connor for example was bombing forward at a fierce rate he spent more time in our opposition box then his own defending in that 2nd half against Sweden in the last game. 
Doherty is an exceptional wing back but I would be confident he would have no issue flourishing as a mauruading full back of deployed that way and considering you have Stevens and Doherty not to mention Manning who’s attacking stats/output in his first season at full back were insane it would be mad not to play to their strengths. 
I would have no issue with Coleman as a RCB in a back 5 btw. Ancellotti tried it with Everton and basically hinted without Coleman he wouldn’t have done it. 

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 2:33pm
Match against from Bulgaria in 87 on RTE2 now.  What a starting XI we had for that game 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Match against from Bulgaria in 87 on RTE2 now.  What a starting XI we had for that game 

Stapleton EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 2:51pm
Every single player wearing a long sleeved jersey on both teams

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 2:58pm
didn't know Stoichkov played at that time

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

didn't know Stoichkov played at that time

Only made his debut the previous year. Evidently hadn't made his mark yet as he wasn't name checked by Hamilton during the line ups

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 3:18pm
Some first cross from John Byrne 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 3:24pm
Nearly dark at the end.  What happened John Byrne?  Never remember him after Turkey away 91.

-------------

Posted By: 10 Box
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Possibly our strongest starting 11 ever. Imagine having the luxury of playing Paul McGrath at right full & Ronnie Whelan at left full.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 9:23am
Its been a looong time since we had a squad announcement, add in the expectations of a new manager and the fact that there are some serious fans on here.

I fully expect this forum to blow up one the squad is announced today. LOLLOL

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 9:38am
Part of me hopes Glenn Whelan is in the squad just to see the collective fume !

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 9:40am
Exciting day Tongue
To go from massive early squads containing everyone to a new manager with ambition picking his first squad, with the real possibility of new names (but not many...yet), it's a great time to be alive Hug

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Haha totally agree, it would be of atomic proportions

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 9:46am
I'd expect to see a young squad with a few 'big name' casualties. 

-------------

Posted By: ABFC
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 9:47am
What time is the press conference?

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

My disappointment with Glenn Whelan being included wouldn't be Glenn's inclusion itself, it's the message that it would imply. 

while the guts of the previous couple of squads will remain, i very much expect the sense of the new beginning and possibly one or two curveballs we didn't see coming.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:31am
Ireland squad v Bulgaria and Finland
Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (West Ham United), Mark Travers (Bournemouth), Kieran O’Hara (unattached)
Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Wolves), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Shane Duffy (Brighton and Hove Albion), John Egan (Sheffield United), Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers).
Midfielders: James McCarthy (Crystal Palace), Harry Arter (Fulham), Jeff Hendrick (unattached), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Jayson Molumby (Brighton and Hove Albion), Robbie Brady (Burnley).
Forwards: Callum Robinson (Sheffield United), Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City), Aaron Connolly (Brighton and Hove Albion), Adam Idah (Norwich City), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur – on loan at Millwall), Shane Long (Southampton).

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Yiksheemash
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:36am
Browne and O'Dowda are muck. surely to f**k there is better out there. delighted to see Jack Byrne not to make the squad as he is simply not good enough. 

-------------
In my country we fak, my wife she isa dead

Posted By: djhegzy
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:36am
some suprising calls, no dara O'shea or K long, but lennihan? no knight or smallbone but brady. then O'Dowda big suprise aswell as idah and parrott

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:37am

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (West Ham United), Mark Travers (Bournemouth), Kieran O’Hara (unattached)
Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Wolves), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Shane Duffy (Brighton and Hove Albion), John Egan (Sheffield United), Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers).
Midfielders: James McCarthy (Crystal Palace), Harry Arter (Fulham), Jeff Hendrick (unattached), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Jayson Molumby (Brighton and Hove Albion), Robbie Brady (Burnley).
Forwards: Callum Robinson (Sheffield United), Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City), Aaron Connolly (Brighton and Hove Albion), Adam Idah (Norwich City), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur – on loan at Millwall), Shane Long (Southampton).

You're missing McGoldrick 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: jamie2905
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

McGoldrick is injured and not available, he will supposedly be included for Finland

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Copy and paste job.

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/stephen-kenny-names-squad-for-bulgaria-and-finland-matches" rel="nofollow - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/stephen-kenny-names-squad-for-bulgaria-and-finland-matches

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Browne and O'Dowda are muck. surely to f**k there is better out there. delighted to see Jack Byrne not to make the squad as he is simply not good enough. 

Bizarre comment regarding Byrne, he's far and away the best player in the LOI and has been nothing but impressive for Ireland in his few appearances.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:41am
Bit light on centre back?

Only Shane Duffy, John Egan and Lenihan

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:41am
No massive surprises in that squad. I'd probably have included McDermott, O'Shea, Smallbone, and Obafemi instead of O'Hara, Lenihan, O'Dowda, and Parrott, but it's much of a muchness.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:44am
Parrott ahead of Obafemi seems an odd one. Good to see Arter and McCarthy back. Molumby for Whelan. That's surely it for Glenn, great servant. 

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: KING-CON
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:45am
Is Josh Cullen injured? Surprised he didn’t make it.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:46am
O'Dowda in ahead of Obafemi a big surprise for me..how is that justified?

Otherwise I like the addition of Troy and Adam are very positive.
Molumby was a shoe-in but still happy to see it.

Light at the back as said but I assume we have a standby list in case anyone collapses.

Posted By: footballman
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Light at the back as said but I assume we have a standby list in case anyone collapses.

O'Dowda and Obafemi don't play in the same position

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:58am
Ryan Manning, Jack Byrne and Cullen can be hard done by

Assume  O'Shea, Smallbone, Knight and Obefemi will all be in the 21s, who have huge matches as well

Bodes well for the future 

Mollumby, Parrot and Idah is great news

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: gmfc90
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 12:00pm

It's not a case of O'Dowda in for Obafemi. They play different positions. Obafemi is competing against Long and Connolly who both deserve to be ahead of him.

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

It's not a case of O'Dowda in for Obafemi. They play different positions. Obafemi is competing against Long and Connolly who both deserve to be ahead of him.

Does Parrott?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net