Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgaria Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 62>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Also, 617 passes, 555 completed. 

That's another positive.

I’d say 400 odd of those passes completed were less than 10 feet apart.....a truly useless stat.

Depends what way you look at it. 

I remember plenty of games where we were lamenting our passing stats on here, and where we'd have gladly taken 400 passes less than 10 feet apart. 

Yep. You just simply cannot win.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:34pm

Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Also, 617 passes, 555 completed. 

That's another positive.

I’d say 400 odd of those passes completed were less than 10 feet apart.....a truly useless stat.

Depends what way you look at it. 

I remember plenty of games where we were lamenting our passing stats on here, and where we'd have gladly taken 400 passes less than 10 feet apart. 

Exactly. Its far from a useless stat.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:34pm
Re: Hendrick

He doesn't do enough. He hides. For a central midfielder it's somewhat baffling. Anyway, this would go under the radar somewhat when a team is hoofing it (i.e. the last 4 years). But under Kenny's proposed style he NEEDS to get on the ball. If he doesn't, he'll be gone. It's that simple. 

By the way....against Finland

Hourihane to be dropped for Brady 
McCarthy to be dropped for Arter (would prefer Molumby but a debut in sitting role...)

I'd drop the whole midfield to be honest and go with

Brady Arter
       Molumby(sitting)

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:39pm
Brady isn't a central midfielder.
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

He doesn't do enough. He hides. For a central midfielder it's somewhat baffling. Anyway, this would go under the radar somewhat when a team is hoofing it (i.e. the last 4 years). But under Kenny's proposed style he NEEDS to get on the ball. If he doesn't, he'll be gone. It's that simple. 

McCarthy to be dropped for Arter (would prefer Molumby but a debut in sitting role...)

Brady Arter
       Molumby(sitting)

Jesus where do you start, brady is a wide player not a midfielder. Arter is a hunter of the ball who isnt accomplished or comfortable on it. Molumby is a baby at this level. 

People see a midfield playing poorly but never seem to think “we have a poor midfield”. 

They think there’s a load of other midfielders out there who are Irish in good. Being happening for years.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Hummmmmm hard to sum up really , now loved the way we passed the ball around not a hoof in sight that's for sure but we seemed to lose out in midfield and gave the ball away really cheaply .
I will stick with the toothless up front as we didn't have any ideas how to get around them . 
 The worry for me was this was a poor side we were playing and we looked very all over the place at the back , better sides will put us to the sword .
Hey roll on Sunday and happy to get out with a point as so many times in the past we would have been the side who threw it away . 
 Chin up everyone Big smile

At least you are giving him 5 games Murph. Many seem to have written the whole thing off already..
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

Brady Arter
       Molumby(sitting)

Jesus where do you start, brady is a wide player not a midfielder. Arter is a hunter of the ball who isnt accomplished or comfortable on it. Molumby is a baby at this level. 

People see a midfield playing poorly but never seem to think “we have a poor midfield”. 

They think there’s a load of other midfielders out there who are Irish in good. Being happening for years.
Arter is actually very comfortable on the ball...
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:46pm
This is the Bulgaria that lost 0-6 to England minus their best player who retired and their second best, in quarantine. Scraping a draw is a poor result. Big plus though is we tried playing some football at least, despite not really having the players to do it. The results for MON and Mick were decent enough with what they had but the style of play was what dragged you down. At least we should be a bit more watchable now.
Already the excuses for the preordained great one James McCarthy. He had a thorough enough fitness test so can't use that as an excuse and its exactly the same non-performance he's contributed 95% of the matches he has appeared for us. for those who can remember that far back to when he last turned up for us.
Connolly looked dangerous and hopefully there to stay. Hendrick at least showed himself and got on the ball, finally being up against players he couldn't be too embarrassed by. Still can't do anything useful with it when it is at his feet though. Good to see Brady back and playing where he is comfortable. May as well make Duffy our centre forward now, he's a bigger goal threat than any other options we have, and has been a while now.
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

Brady Arter
       Molumby(sitting)

Maybe at championship level, He never showed it at PL level. fulham aren’t going to sign him so he probably never will.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:51pm

Brady Arter
       Molumby(sitting)

Not trying to be a smart arse, but I don't/haven't seen in recent games (including this evening) what exactly makes Hourihane/Hendrick midfielders that are/would do a better job than Brady.

It's obvious we need someone who holds on to the ball/wants to get on the ball. 

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:52pm

Brady Arter
       Molumby(sitting)

Maybe at championship level, He never showed it at PL level. fulham aren’t going to sign him so he probably never will.

He has showed it at PL level

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:53pm

Brady Arter
       Molumby(sitting)

International level is not Premier League. Sometimes not even the championship.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:54pm

Brady Arter
       Molumby(sitting)

Not trying to be a smart arse, but I don't/haven't seen in recent games (including this evening) what exactly makes Hourihane/Hendrick midfielders that are/would do a better job than Brady.

The umpteen times he has played there, and on the right, and been wasted.
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:55pm

Brady Arter
       Molumby(sitting)

International level is not Premier League. Sometimes not even the championship.

so let’s drop the premier league midfielders and bring in lads from the Championship?
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:57pm
Hard to form an opinion on that game but I'll try. Overall about a 6 out of 10. Defence looked a bit suspect at times, dreadful goal to concede and coughed up another before we equalised. Understandable in some degree in that 3 of the 4 are used to a different system at club level and the other hasn't played much football at all this year. The 2 fullbacks done ok going forward, Doherty made 2 or 3 great blindside runs in the second half but alas we don't have players with the vision to be able to make the required passes. Midfield was safe but created limited, hourihane physically weak in possession and lost the ball to easily. Can't see him making the cut for Kenny considering the type of midfielders he likes. Of the 3 forward p!ayers, Connolly impressed me most. O Dowda flatters to deceive at times. Idah will improve from the experience. Long and Brady were the best of the subs, long forcing the corner for the equaliser and Brady getting the assist. Overall i thought the tempo was far too slow. A couple of times Duffy refused to take quick free kicks,suppose he was afraid his lack of fitness would be exposed like it was for the goal concede. He is a stereotypical head it and kick it centre half,very average on the ball and a liability against a pacy opponent. If Kenny wants to play through the thirds, Duffy will need to improve his passing. We have already seen Duffy bombed out of Brighton for not having the attributes to suit their style of play. On the other hand good to see that Brighton rate Connolly highly. Looking forward to a higher tempo and more attacking on Sunday.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

This is the Bulgaria that lost 0-6 to England minus their best player who retired and their second best, in quarantine. Scraping a draw is a poor result. Big plus though is we tried playing some football at least, despite not really having the players to do it. The results for MON and Mick were decent enough with what they had but the style of play was what dragged you down. At least we should be a bit more watchable now.
Already the excuses for the preordained great one James McCarthy. He had a thorough enough fitness test so can't use that as an excuse and its exactly the same non-performance he's contributed 95% of the matches he has appeared for us. for those who can remember that far back to when he last turned up for us.
Connolly looked dangerous and hopefully there to stay. Hendrick at least showed himself and got on the ball, finally being up against players he couldn't be too embarrassed by. Still can't do anything useful with it when it is at his feet though. Good to see Brady back and playing where he is comfortable. May as well make Duffy our centre forward now, he's a bigger goal threat than any other options we have, and has been a while now.

The big difference betweent he long ball under Jack v Mick/MON is that under Jack it was an entertaining long ball game. We would really throw the cat amongst the pigeons in Lansdowne especially and there would be chance after chance created and mayhem in the opposition 1/3.  It was crude but exciting.  The long ball under Mick/MON was sterile and boring.  A hoof up to no particular area to a lone striker who was outnumbered 4 to 1 and it was just like handing the opposition the ball. There was no excitement.  With Jack the ball was played behind the full back and the whole team ran in on top of them and suffocated them and we created a glut of chances.   That did not happen under the last few managers. 

Kenny's system is fine.  He needs better personnel.  One thing I would worry about is that we were not pressed at all tonight.  If the opposition press us I wonder how comfortable Duffy et al. will be on the ball.Ermm

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:03am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Brady Arter
       Molumby(sitting)

The umpteen times he has played there, and on the right, and been wasted.

Were those games under Kenny? Playing a possession game or hoof ball?

What worries me about the likes of Hourihane/Hendrick is in a game with 60% possession, they weren't doing enough to get on the ball and weren't very good when they were on the ball.

Maybe they'll improve, but a lot of players had the hoof ball as the excuse for poor performances. Time will tell if that was the case.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

This is Ireland ffs! Comparing us to England is nonsense! McCarthy has, like so many others, got much better in his long absence but, like many of our players, is fairly limited. Aside of that, this is Kenny's first game away to a team in and around our level with a squad still in preseason. Bulgaria have also improved under a new manager and many of their players are well into their season.

This wasn't going to be an overnight fix. There is a base to work on after tonight. We kept the ball better than we have in years, but we are lacking a creative player and a striker. The gnashing of teeth is a bit rich! A mediocre national team drew away to another mediocre national team.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 62>
  Share Topic