You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgaria Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 62>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

So Keane isn't a clutch player   

Goa in 2002 world cup playoff v Iran to take us through  

3 goals at world cup including last min v Germany and again last min v Spain 

Goal at home against Yugpslavia in huge home game  goal

Goal in world cup playoff v France in 2009. 

Last min goal v Italy in world cup qualifier 

Goal against Turkey in 1999 in euro 2000 playoff 

Goal v Estonia in 2011 playoff for euro 2012. 

That is not mention the qualification goals v Holland and Russia Sweden and Israel. 

So sorry dots you are talking rubbish  

That was Noel Hunt
behave yourselfLOL
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

That is not mention the qualification goals v Holland and Russia Sweden and Israel. 

Poor enough record in qualifiers vs 1st and 2nd seeds was what I said. Gave the list of rival group teams he blanked against.  Also what I said was he didn’t score he didn’t contribute much. It’s not an outrageous view. 

He had a great record of scoring in playoffs when we got there.

we didn’t qualify for anything during his peak years. If Richie Sadlier had being able to fill in for Niall Quinn then we could have made it to at least one more championships. Clinton Morrison and Robbie had no relationship on the field and it cost us.Unfortunately fate didn’t smile on Sadlier with injuries.

He never scored competitively vs Russia by the way.

Define "poor enough"; who are you benchmarking him against? I'd venture to say that Keane has more goals against 1st and 2nd seeds than any other Irish player in the history of our national team (and by a considerable distance too). Therefore, by definition, his record would be the very opposite of "poor enough".
We're decent enough..
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:36pm
Dots you said he wasn't a clutch player.   He did it when it mattered.   His goals record is unbelievable.  Is is the very definition of a clutch player for Ireland.   During the Kerr era he wasn't as good as other times.  

Bigging  long up and knocking Keane is madness.   Its amazing how someone's likeability off the pitch means they are not as criticised as much as legends whose off the field persona is not as likeable.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:48pm

Dots you said he wasn't a clutch player.   He did it when it mattered.   His goals record is unbelievable.  Is is the very definition of a clutch player for Ireland.   During the Kerr era he wasn't as good as other times.  

Bigging  long up and knocking Keane is madness.   Its amazing how someone's likeability off the pitch means they are not as criticised as much as legends whose off the field persona is not as likeable.  

I’m not really bigging long up, just comparing them. Long’s 2 goals in qualifying were huge in getting us to 2016. keane’s 2 goals in qualifying/playoffs were huge in getting us to 2002. Keane wasn’t a clutch player in qualifying groups games vs rivals enough but he did the business in playoffs and was clutch on those occasions. In the tightest group we were ever in vs Israel, France and the Swiss he scored one goal against those teams. 

Repeating myself ..He struggled in my opinion without a target man which wasn’t his fault. 

Edited by Dots1982 - 01 Sep 2020 at 5:50pm
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

just seen this on twitter. Find that a bit mad. 

#UEFA just published that if the upcoming #NationsLeague matches cannot be played due to COVID and it's unclear who is to blame for that, "the outcome of the match will be decided by drawing of lots (i.e. win 1-0, loss 0-1 or draw 0-0)."

Surely there should be a 1-1 option to specifically cater for us?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Think the spastic list needs to be rewritten and Dots1982 should become honorary President.
Surely this is ban number 447?
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Think the spastic list needs to be rewritten and Dots1982 should become honorary President.
Indeed it is. Horrible term and one he has used recently on another thread and was warned about. Slainte 🖕
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 6:01pm

I’m not really bigging long up, just comparing them. Long’s 2 goals in qualifying were huge in getting us to 2016. keane’s 2 goals in qualifying/playoffs were huge in getting us to 2002. Keane wasn’t a clutch player in qualifying groups games vs rivals enough but he did the business in playoffs and was clutch on those occasions. In the tightest group we were ever in vs Israel, France and the Swiss he scored one goal against those teams. 

Repeating myself ..He struggled in my opinion without a target man which wasn’t his fault. 

In terms of matches against direct competitors.

Didn't score against Switzerland or Russia in the previous campaign (2004). Didn't score against Czech Republic, Germany or Slovakia in the following campaign (2008), scoring only in a dead rubber against Wales.

These were barren years.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Indeed it is. Horrible term and one he has used recently on another thread and was warned about. Slainte 🖕

Clap
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Clap

Top modding 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 6:32pm

Spot on. 

Keane scored against some of the best teams in the world when it mattered. 

I don't think any of us will ever see his goal record broken which is absolutely astonishing given the technical limitations of the Ireland teams Keane played in over the years. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 6:35pm
Is the team flying out this evening or tomorrow? 

I assume there's a time restriction on how long they can be in Bulgaria is there? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I assume there's a time restriction on how long they can be in Bulgaria is there? 

Tonight I believe.
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 6:38pm

Poor enough record in qualifiers vs 1st and 2nd seeds was what I said. Gave the list of rival group teams he blanked against.  Also what I said was he didn’t score he didn’t contribute much. It’s not an outrageous view. 

we didn’t qualify for anything during his peak years. If Richie Sadlier had being able to fill in for Niall Quinn then we could have made it to at least one more championships. Clinton Morrison and Robbie had no relationship on the field and it cost us.Unfortunately fate didn’t smile on Sadlier with injuries.

No you didn't you said "His record in qualifying in group games vs 1st, 2nd and 3rd seeds wasn’t the best"

You just appear to be making stuff, moving the goal posts to discredit Keane and his goals.

In my response below - he scored 34 goals against the these teams -
https://forum.ybig.ie/bulgaria-match-thread_topic57536_page28.html

Yet, you move on again to Long and big up 2 of this goals in a 13 year period.

Astonishing stuff
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Tonight I believe.

Saw an FAI tweet showing em hit the airport.
Onwards and upwards!
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 6:46pm

Absolutely I work with people with special needs and that word is unacceptable.

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Absolutely I work with people with special needs and that word is unacceptable.

The irony of it is always enjoyable though! I am going to try and call someone stupid and in doing so am going to make myself look like a right idiot.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

No you didn't you said "His record in qualifying in group games vs 1st, 2nd and 3rd seeds wasn’t the best"

You just appear to be making stuff, moving the goal posts to discredit Keane and his goals.

In my response below - he scored 34 goals against the these teams -
https://forum.ybig.ie/bulgaria-match-thread_topic57536_page28.html

Yet, you move on again to Long and big up 2 of this goals in a 13 year period.

Astonishing stuff

Are you not doing the same thing you accuse him of doing re: Long? He has 5 competitive goals in 13 years. It's not great, but it's not as bad as you make it sound. He also spent a large part of the last 13 years playing second fiddle to Doyle and Walters respectively, who were both preferred to him. It's not all about goals, either. Long and Murphy didn't score in Euro 2016 but they put in phenomenal shifts together up front.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 62>
  Share Topic