Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgaria Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 62>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Remember that time Matt Doherty referred to himself as British? LOL

Just on that,  wasn't Doherty actually eligible to play for Holland?  I think his mother is Dutch from what I remember.  

Why, did you take her out on a 1 pint date to Whelans a few years ago. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

it’s scary what some people expect of these young players already.

I’m old enough to remember Damien Duff taking about three years to settle at international level before becoming a really brilliant player for us.

And Damien Duff was ripping Premier league defenses apart at 18. 

Respectfully Aaron Connolly is not at Damien Duff’s level. Putting this type of pressure on these youngsters is insane.

Didn't happen.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 12:21pm

Remember that time Matt Doherty referred to himself as British? LOL

Just on that,  wasn't Doherty actually eligible to play for Holland?  I think his mother is Dutch from what I remember.  

His mother is Dutch of Indonesian background.
And his father is British from Dublin. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

I’m old enough to remember Damien Duff taking about three years to settle at international level before becoming a really brilliant player for us.

Respectfully Aaron Connolly is not at Damien Duff’s level. Putting this type of pressure on these youngsters is insane.

Didn't happen.
Very true. The most disappointing of all the players we have had hyped. He must have went a decade without beating a man.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Didn't happen.
Very true. The most disappointing of all the players we have had hyped. He must have went a decade without beating a man.

2002 and 2009 were the years that stood out for him. Otherwise didn’t take his club form to the international scene in the main. There aren’t too many Of our established PL players in the last 20 years that have lived up to their billing. Coleman at the moment the main one. 

The likes of Dunne and Given were exceptions to the rule in the 2000s; not many others 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 12:37pm
And robbie of course.  68 goals.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

64 against Oman.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 12:47pm

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

[QUOTE=Dots1982][QUOTE=kevin100]

Yeah Bulgaria would be one of the weaker sides in the B section and had a shambolic qualifying campaign but they still got 7 points against England Czech Montenegro and Kosovo they aren’t exactly atrocious sides. 
That Bulgaria team would still be superior nicely to the Georgia side that played us off the park in Tbilisi last October. 

Perspective is needed and reality is we could play fantastic football create chances dominate and draw or lose to a jammy goal. Outside the few top nations the gap between let’s say the 6th ranked team and the 30th ranked team in Europe isn’t huge and anyone of them can catch the other on any given day in a one off game we have done this to Germany Italy Wales etc over the years despite been run over in possession and chances stats and we ain’t immune from being on the receiving end of it. 

International football is a step up for a young player mentally but is it a big step up from top flight football in England Spain Germany Italy and France nowadays quality wise I’m not so sure. 

We don't tend to beat these type of sides away from home historically and I do think Bulgaria will be a completely different animal this time round especially when both teams have new managers. There's no way they'll be as bad as the friendly last time out. 

A one nil away win would do nicely and I'd take it now tbh. Bulgaria will not lie down to us and get thumped 3-0 in their own place. I can't see that happening. 

Also to point out Bulgaria got 6 points in their group

0 against England
3 against an already qualified Czech Rep
1 against Kosovo
2 against Montenegro

I agree with Muff though I can't see us going out and winning 3-0.

I'd be happy with 1-0 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 12:55pm

64 against Oman.

44 in qualifying games.
21 in friendlies and 3 in the nations league

An astonishing record.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

Are footballers told to say "obviously" as much as they can in every interview or something? It's endemic in their interviews. 
Basically is another favourite 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

64 against Oman.

44 in qualifying games.

An astonishing record.

Nations cup, the home nations tournament. He was retired by the time we played nations league.

His record in qualifying in group games vs 1st, 2nd and 3rd seeds wasn’t the best but we didn’t always have the target men In the mould of Quinn and Berbatov that helped Robbie produce his best.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Didn't happen.

McGeady for me 

Duff will be remembered fondly by most whereas McGeady, not so much. 

Edited by McG - 01 Sep 2020 at 1:03pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:08pm
We need to start playing these young lads. While Connolly might be behind Mclean at the moment the curves are going in different directions and we need to start integrating the likes of him, Idah etc. I wouldn't start a team full of young lads but definitely at least a forward (Idah or connolly maybe both) and Molumphy
It's not me it's you:-)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:25pm

64 against Oman.

44 in qualifying games.

An astonishing record.

Nations cup, the home nations tournament. He was retired by the time we played nations league.

His record in qualifying in group games vs 1st, 2nd and 3rd seeds wasn’t the best but we didn’t always have the target men In the mould of Quinn and Berbatov that helped Robbie produce his best.

Your right it wasn't the best, it was phenomenal given the fact that we don't score many goals.

I tried to break down his goals as best as possible in to seeded teams 1,2,3 and then 4 and 5. Some are debatable, but it'll give you some idea.

34 goals against these teams.
Malta
Albania
Georgia
Canada
Cyprus
Croatia
San Marino
Algeria
Andorra
Kazakhstan
Faroe Islands
Kazakhstan
Latvia
Gibraltar
Oman

34 goals against these teams.
Yugoslavia
Turkey
Czech Rep
Holland
Iran
Denmark
Germany
Saudi Arabia
Spain
Finland
Croatia
Israel
Wales
Columbia
Norway
Italy
Nigeria
France
Russia
Macedonia
Northern Ireland*
Scotland
Estonia
Sweden

Iran and Estonia are included as seeded since it was the WC and Euro qualifers.
* doesn't really exist but however.

Edited by horsebox - 01 Sep 2020 at 5:09pm
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:29pm

I debated including him. Class for us but all round play better at club level would be my thoughts in the mid 2000s during his prime - but that is probably down to the system and those around him in the Irish side I suppose

Edited by Pipkin - 01 Sep 2020 at 1:30pm
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:37pm

64 against Oman.

44 in qualifying games.

An astonishing record.

Your right it wasn't the best, it was phenomenal given the fact that we don't score many goals.

I still can't understand how slate his record saying he didn't score against big teams. Holland, Germany, France...the list goes on. What makes it even more impressive is when you realise he didn't exactly have world class players supplying him ball either.  
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:49pm
The doomsday scenario some people proposed once Keane winded down and retired hasn't really materialised, thankfully.

Qualified for Euro 2016 and got out of the group stages. Poland scored way more than every other team but Ireland only had 5 less goals than Germany for instance.

Qualified for the WC 2018 playoffs in a really difficult group. Again, Serbia scored significantly more than every other team but we scored roughly the same amount of goals as Austria and Wales.

We'll have to qualify for Euro 2020 through the backdoor after a poor sequence of results and a lack of goals, but we got what we set up for in 3 of the 4 matches against the good teams - narrow score draws. The Georgia and Gibraltar performances were abysmal and we only scored once over two games against the Georgians, but we have traditionally struggled to break them down, even needing a dodgy penalty during Keane's heyday.

Overall, I'd say it's much of a muchness since Keane retired in terms of goalscoring and results. We're still scoring goals. We're doing as well as we ever have against the bigger sides (even winning occasionally). We still win the games against the teams seeded directly below us more often than not.

IDK. Maybe we'll have a delayed reaction to Keane's retirement and the '16 and '18 campaigns were just aberrations.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:49pm

Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

Looks like O'Dowda, Long, McClean as the front three for Thursday going by training today. 

Sounds like the B team side 

Social media also saying that the midfield trio behind them are
McCarthy, Hendrick and Hourihane.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 62>
  Share Topic