FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kalvin Philips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kalvin Philips
    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 3:50pm
Named in the England squad. 
Good agent there 
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

4 pages on a lad thats probably not eligible for us. Sweet devine 

Just ignore the thread ffs. Utterly baffles me how precious people get about threads on here. Just waiting for people to start howling that it has to be moved into ROTW. 

And seeing as his mother says he had an Irish grandparent then he's eligible much as it's extremely unlikely he'll declare. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 7:07pm
Were you  around for the Kevin Nolan thread? Think we got it up to a thousand!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

LOL

Incredible. All because of something his mother said on twitter. Something which could easily have been thrown into the eligible  thread 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 7:04pm
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

And here's what you could have won....not better than Declan Rice? lovely player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=60&v=_BPbuII-xQ0&feature=emb_logo

I'll be honest.... poor man's Glenn Whelan 
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 6:57pm
Seems to be spending most the time on that pinging long balls. We've got Shane Duffy for that job, only difference is the ball not ending up in the crowd.
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 6:48pm
And here's what you could have won....not better than Declan Rice? lovely player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=60&v=_BPbuII-xQ0&feature=emb_logo
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 6:12pm
He last played for England under-20 August 2009, they played ten or more matches at under-21 level since then for 88/89 and younger age group and he wasn't picked once with guys like Smalling ahead of him. He had barely played a couple of matches for Aston Villa. There was no way he was headed for a career with England, hence the switch. If he was captaining their under-21 squad at the time and pulled out to declare for Ireland maybe you could make a case for it.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

No way......England just stopped picking him

Played at every underage level for England, and captained the U20 side.

He had very recently been playing for the England U-20 side when he declared for Ireland alright. 

Cyrus Christie also turned down an England U-21 call up to play for us. Further in the past you also had the likes of Kilbane, McAteer, and Clinton Morrison turning down England underage call ups too in favour of lining out for us.
Clark had been in to Under-21 age group  a year before he declared  and not been picked 2009-2010 season  so he wasn't rejecting England to play for us. They just weren't picking him even in his own age group let alone at full level. I'm sure you know better though!

Clark played for the England U-20's in 2010; he declared for us in September 2010. I'd call that very recent. He was also a 20 year old defender playing regularly in the Premier League at the time, I'd say his prospects of an England call up at some stage were looking very bright in 2010. Clearly, this was not a guy in his late 20's making a "pragmatic decision", this was a promising young footballer who decided his preference was to play for the country of his parents.
We're decent enough..
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Yoco Santos Yoco Santos wrote:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/palace-striker-commits-to-republic-1.384778

Clinton Morrison today pledged his international future to the Republic of Ireland after receiving his Irish passport.

The Crystal Palace striker obtained his passport in time to be called into Don Givens's panel for the two European Under-21 Championship qualifiers against Portugal and Estonia on June 1st and 5th.

A FAI statement read: "Clinton Morrison has been called into the Under-21 squad for the European Championship games against Portugal and Estonia.

"Morrison, who qualifies for the Republic as his Irish grandmother Mary is from Dublin, has succeeded in obtaining an Irish passport in time.

"Morrison, who also had claims to play for Jamaica and England, has decided he wants to declare for the Republic.

"Senior team manager Mick McCarthy was happy the player had taken this decision."

The 22-year-old striker was given an opportunity to commit to the Republic in time for the Denmark game in February, which was postponed because of snow.

He declined, saying he wanted to see if England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson would consider selecting him for the country of his birth.

McCarthy said: "I am delighted Clinton has decided to row in with us. I know he had been trying to obtain an Irish passport for some time and I am delighted he is now in a position to say that it has been processed and he is clear to play for the Republic."

He still turned down an England underage call up in favour of us. The claim was that no player has ever done that, but the reality is that quite a few have. Does the fact that Morrison may have hesitated for a few months mean he didn't want to play for Ireland, even though the record very clearly shows that he chose Ireland in preference to other alternatives? Going by that logic, you could argue that Rice and Grealish didn't really want to play for England, because they both mulled over their decisions for a period of time too before eventually settling on who to throw their lot in with....
We're decent enough..
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 5:34pm
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/12290207/leeds-kalvin-phillips-jamaica-england-gareth-southgate/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunfootballfacebook020820&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1596377326

For anyone who doesn't want to open a link from the Scum it  says Jamaica have made a move on him. 

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 04 Aug 2020 at 5:36pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 5:27pm

I'd be interesting in seeing this record of Christie's

https://www.the42.ie/cyrus-christie-republic-of-ireland-1774306-Nov2014/

Speaking after Ireland training earlier today, Christie, who qualifies for Ireland through his Clontarf-born grandmother, mentioned how he had been approached by his native country but that the opportunity of more game-time with Ireland as well as the personal touch of the team’s manager ensured it was a pretty straight-forward decision to make.

The England U21s were in touch as well but for me the Republic of Ireland was the better option. They’ve not got many right-backs here so that was the main thing but the manager getting in touch with me – that’s always a pleasing aspect. There are more opportunities and they’ve got a good team here and the manager getting in touch with me – that was more of a selling point as well.”

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 05 Aug 2020 at 8:33pm
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 4:52pm
I'd be interesting in seeing this record of Christie's
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 4:02pm
Cyrus Christie is also on record as saying that he wasn't good enough for England, hence he played for us . Ciaran Clark, Colum Robinson and others would likewise have taken a pragmatic attitude untroubled by any notions of Irish patriotic fervour. As long as these guys do their best in the green shirt, I will never carp about such things. I will reserve my odium for the likes of Grealish, Rice and Bamford who have pissed about and done so for purely selfish reasons. I also support our own brand of pragmatism, e.g. capping good young players with other options early, as Wales have done. Michael Obafemi was a good start and Kenny will know when to act with others coming through.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 3:44pm
Sven must have been devastated he didn't hold out longer ... the missing ingredient for the golden generation
Yoco Santos View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoco Santos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 3:36pm
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/palace-striker-commits-to-republic-1.384778

Clinton Morrison today pledged his international future to the Republic of Ireland after receiving his Irish passport.

The Crystal Palace striker obtained his passport in time to be called into Don Givens's panel for the two European Under-21 Championship qualifiers against Portugal and Estonia on June 1st and 5th.

A FAI statement read: "Clinton Morrison has been called into the Under-21 squad for the European Championship games against Portugal and Estonia.

"Morrison, who qualifies for the Republic as his Irish grandmother Mary is from Dublin, has succeeded in obtaining an Irish passport in time.

"Morrison, who also had claims to play for Jamaica and England, has decided he wants to declare for the Republic.

"Senior team manager Mick McCarthy was happy the player had taken this decision."

The 22-year-old striker was given an opportunity to commit to the Republic in time for the Denmark game in February, which was postponed because of snow.

He declined, saying he wanted to see if England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson would consider selecting him for the country of his birth.

McCarthy said: "I am delighted Clinton has decided to row in with us. I know he had been trying to obtain an Irish passport for some time and I am delighted he is now in a position to say that it has been processed and he is clear to play for the Republic."

Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

No way......England just stopped picking him

Played at every underage level for England, and captained the U20 side.

He had very recently been playing for the England U-20 side when he declared for Ireland alright. 

Cyrus Christie also turned down an England U-21 call up to play for us. Further in the past you also had the likes of Kilbane, McAteer, and Clinton Morrison turning down England underage call ups too in favour of lining out for us.
Clark had been in to Under-21 age group  a year before he declared  and not been picked 2009-2010 season  so he wasn't rejecting England to play for us. They just weren't picking him even in his own age group let alone at full level. I'm sure you know better though!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic