Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What happened in Saipan?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

In some respects, it might have been a blessing in disguise that Keane combusted in Saipan, rather than him throwing a tantrum in Japan and ruining the tournament. We'll never know how the squad might have fared with him in it, but it could be argued that his absence liberated the players at that tournament and that they were a happier squad as a result.

True. Although it could also be argued that his presence, as our one true world class player at the time, could have propelled us to our best ever finish at what was in truth a pretty average world cup. That German team was gash and they managed to scrape all the way through to the final. As you say we'll never know.

It's impossible to say and it could certainly have been argued alright. That said, we played far better without Keane against Germany and Spain in the tournament than with him against Holland in the Lansdowne game, for example.

Bit harsh calling that German team gash, there were a very good side with world class players the calibre of Khan, Ballack and Klose and plenty others just under that level. They put 8 past the Saudis and beat Cameroon 2-0 with only ten men after Ramelow was sent off early on. Did what they had to do in the knock outs. Always feel that Germany team is talked down over here as it suited the narrative to suggest we would have beaten them with RK in the team and played Paraguay in the last 16 rather than Spain on our way to the final. 

beaten 5-1 at home by Eriksonn's England in qualifying ( biggest selling English football cd AFAIK) - though would need to check the German line up
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

In some respects, it might have been a blessing in disguise that Keane combusted in Saipan, rather than him throwing a tantrum in Japan and ruining the tournament. We'll never know how the squad might have fared with him in it, but it could be argued that his absence liberated the players at that tournament and that they were a happier squad as a result.

True. Although it could also be argued that his presence, as our one true world class player at the time, could have propelled us to our best ever finish at what was in truth a pretty average world cup. That German team was gash and they managed to scrape all the way through to the final. As you say we'll never know.

It's impossible to say and it could certainly have been argued alright. That said, we played far better without Keane against Germany and Spain in the tournament than with him against Holland in the Lansdowne game, for example.

Bit harsh calling that German team gash, there were a very good side with world class players the calibre of Khan, Ballack and Klose and plenty others just under that level. They put 8 past the Saudis and beat Cameroon 2-0 with only ten men after Ramelow was sent off early on. Did what they had to do in the knock outs. Always feel that Germany team is talked down over here as it suited the narrative to suggest we would have beaten them with RK in the team and played Paraguay in the last 16 rather than Spain on our way to the final. 

beaten 5-1 at home by Eriksonn's England in qualifying ( biggest selling English football cd AFAIK) - though would need to check the German line up

One of those games that night. Same day we beat Holland. Germany beat them at Wembley earlier in the group. It was a strange group for results, England wound to needing a 94th minute Beckham equaliser against Greece to top it in the final game. Had that not gone in or had Germany managed to beat Finland instead of a scoreless draw at the same time then England would have been in the play offs. Had it been a one nil victory for England instead of the 5-1 I think Germany would have finished ahead of them too. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 27 May 2020 at 12:30pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 1:04pm

One of those games that night. Same day we beat Holland. Germany beat them at Wembley earlier in the group. It was a strange group for results, England wound to needing a 94th minute Beckham equaliser against Greece to top it in the final game. Had that not gone in or had Germany managed to beat Finland instead of a scoreless draw at the same time then England would have been in the play offs. Had it been a one nil victory for England instead of the 5-1 I think Germany would have finished ahead of them too. 

was curious, 4 started the final 5 if you include Klose who was a sub in the 1-5 , Asamoah playing sub in both games
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 1:20pm
One thing that I always find amusing is how people say if Keane was there we would have beaten Spain, and then act like beating South Korea in the quarters was a foregone conclusion. Why would we have been immune to the corrupt refereeing and blatant cheating which helped South Korea beat first Italy then Spain? Do people think that the refs would have played the game out fairly because we weren't as accomplished a team as Italy or Spain? It's ridiculous.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

It wasnt a great German team and expectation were low for them going into the tournament.
I think the odds on us topping the group was very close to Germany.

In Euro 2000 they went out in the group only picking up one point.
Portugal beat them 3-0 in that group.

In Euro 2004 they went out again in the group stages.

They had a favourable run to the final - Paraguay, USA and SKorea.
Being Germans they made the most of it.

In the end Ronnie could of had a HT in the final.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 1:26pm
Glad he didn't! 18-1 Brazil 2-0 and the main man to score first!Cool
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 1:42pm

There were gash by German standards. On paper one of their worst sides ever in fact. Ballack and Kahn were their two players of real star quality. Klose was a great goalscorer but not sure he was ever really world class as such. As pointed out already they got thrashed 5-1 at home by England in the qualifiers and were also possibly the worst side at Euro 2000. They did what they had to do in the knock-outs (which was win every game 1-0) because that's what German sides so often tend to do at World Cups. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking they were a great side because they really weren't.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Keane was off the gargle and was having serious problems coming to terms with it and as Saipan was for rnr the players went on the lash.

The Training facilities in Saipan were fantastic got to go there a couple of times and one other thing that was brilliant there the late Noel O’Reilly was coaching Japanese young players on an adjoining pitch. Dunphy and jd’s role In the whole sh*tshow ruined any chance of getting it sorted.

Ladies and gentlemen i present to you the first man in the history of the Irish state and the inhabitants of the island of Saipan to call the said facilities "fantastic" LOLLOLLOLLOL 

I suspect gufct means the training camp used during the World Cup (in Chiba IIRC).  I doubt if too many fans have ever been to Saipan.  

Thank you Gary it was Chiba I was talking about but Waterford’s greatest son just loves having a pop.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

You are absolutely delusional if you believe that. I know it might suit your general narrative to try and paint this as some sort of "stupid Paddy had unrealistic notions, and then didn't even have the gumption to follow through!" situation, but that simply is not based in any kind of reality. No one, and I literally mean no one, expected Roy Keane to drag Ireland to World Cup victory. Suggesting that Keane downed tools because it "suddenly dawned on him" that he could not fulfil this unrealistic goal (which absolutely no one expected of him in the first place) is nothing short of farcical.
I'm not claiming that anyone else believed that ROI could win it etc.

But I do remember RK's whole spiel about "Not just going there to take part" or "a couple of weeks enjoying ourselves" at a Finals etc. Which tied in with his overall approach to playing, which was that willpower is the most important attribute a player can possess.

And although I can't find a specific reference, there is a curious entry which someone (not me!) has posted on the wiki page on Siapan:
Keane, on the other hand, who is reputed to have told Alex Ferguson that he was going to the World Cup "to win it", viewed [the stopover in Saipan] as a period of preparation for the World Cup Finals.
https:////en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saipan_incident

[And yes, I know it's Wiki and there's no citation etc, but it's curious that someone should write that out of context.]
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 4:14pm
Funny enough, I don’t think Keane was wide of the mark if he wanted to go to 2002 with a view to getting to the Semi Finals or the Final. We had been excellent for two years, and had a very tidy group of players. Also, a lot of major teams struggled to show up. If Keane felt that way, it was the right World Cup to be at.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

You are absolutely delusional if you believe that. I know it might suit your general narrative to try and paint this as some sort of "stupid Paddy had unrealistic notions, and then didn't even have the gumption to follow through!" situation, but that simply is not based in any kind of reality. No one, and I literally mean no one, expected Roy Keane to drag Ireland to World Cup victory. Suggesting that Keane downed tools because it "suddenly dawned on him" that he could not fulfil this unrealistic goal (which absolutely no one expected of him in the first place) is nothing short of farcical.

But I do remember RK's whole spiel about "Not just going there to take part" or "a couple of weeks enjoying ourselves" at a Finals etc. Which tied in with his overall approach to playing, which was that willpower is the most important attribute a player can possess.

And although I can't find a specific reference, there is a curious entry which someone (not me!) has posted on the wiki page on Siapan:
Keane, on the other hand, who is reputed to have told Alex Ferguson that he was going to the World Cup "to win it", viewed [the stopover in Saipan] as a period of preparation for the World Cup Finals.

[And yes, I know it's Wiki and there's no citation etc, but it's curious that someone should write that out of context.]

Every player going into every tournament says "we're here to win". To suggest the reason Keane left is because he had a breakdown realising he could never lead Ireland to literal World Cup Victory is la-la-land stuff LOL

The reason Keane blew up is glaringly obvious to anyone with the slightest bit of common sense; it was because he was forced to spend an extended amount of time in the presence of (and take direction from) a person who he absolutely despised... He viewed McCarthy not only a useless coach and player, but a useless person. His ego could not handle the fact that he was taking direction from a person who he viewed in such a loathsome manner. Rather than process these emotions in a normal manner, Roy Keane did what Roy Keane does, he seethed until such a point that his anger boiled over in explosive fashion. The rest is history, as they say.
We're decent enough..
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 8:46am

Every player going into every tournament says "we're here to win". To suggest the reason Keane left is because he had a breakdown realising he could never lead Ireland to literal World Cup Victory is la-la-land stuff LOL

The reason Keane blew up is glaringly obvious to anyone with the slightest bit of common sense; it was because he was forced to spend an extended amount of time in the presence of (and take direction from) a person who he absolutely despised... He viewed McCarthy not only a useless coach and player, but a useless person. His ego could not handle the fact that he was taking direction from a person who he viewed in such a loathsome manner. Rather than process these emotions in a normal manner, Roy Keane did what Roy Keane does, he seethed until such a point that his anger boiled over in explosive fashion. The rest is history, as they say.

Roy wasn't wrong there anyway. McCarthy proved that with the Clubs he went onto manage. absolute robbed a living from football management. 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 9:41am
I'd say you're the McCarthy of the construction world Yiks. King Tarmacadam
It would damage this forums' reputation
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 10:14pm

Roy wasn't wrong there anyway. McCarthy proved that with the Clubs he went onto manage. absolute robbed a living from football management. 

This is in contrast to Keane's stellar management career of course LOL

Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 8:24am
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

you can compare him to Keane all you like in terms of management but it still doesn't take away from the fact he was an absolute dinosaur and robbed a living from football management
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 10:27am
You can accuse him of many things but one thing he can manage is a good sh*te, esp if a microwave is nearby.
AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

You can accuse him of many things but one thing he can manage is a good sh*te, esp if a microwave is nearby.

Sci is some man for sure . LOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 6:13pm

Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

you can compare him to Keane all you like in terms of management but it still doesn't take away from the fact he was an absolute dinosaur and robbed a living from football management

Your totally deluded 
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic