You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Ireland XI of Your Life Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 2:58pm
Given
Finnan
Dunne
Duffy
O'Shea
Hoolahan
Keane (c)
Holland
Duff
Quinn
Keane

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 24 Apr 2020 at 2:59pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Sponsored Links

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 9:01pm
[QUOTE=The O'Shea]Given
Coleman
O'Shea
Dunne
Harte
McGeady
Keane
Hoolahan
Duff
Keane 
Doyle
[/QUOTE

LOL
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

[QUOTE=The O'Shea]Given
Coleman
O'Shea
Dunne
Harte
McGeady
Keane
Hoolahan
Duff
Keane 
Doyle
[/QUOTE

LOL

Are you well?
We're decent enough..
Delfor Mullin View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delfor Mullin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 10:49pm
it can be better with  a full squad of 23.  Me and my nephew have  a full squad of 23 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 11:28pm
Best Ireland XI of your lifetime, but picked in Garth Crooks style. 
343, for no reason whatsoever. 

Packie (more assists than Given or Randolph)
Dunne 
Stan
Harte
Kilbane
Royston
Duff
McClean
Quinn
Stapleton 
Keane

Edited by deise316 - 24 Apr 2020 at 11:29pm
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Keith branagan 

Alex Bruce
Liam Daish 
Curtis Fleming
Darren o'dea 

Lee Carsley
Paul Green 
Stephen mcphail 
Darren Potter 

Tommy Coyne 
Caleb Folan

Branagan had a solid career, played 2 or 3 years in the EPL with Bolton when they were a half decent team. His time with Ireland was around the end of Bonner's career, coinciding with the emergence of Given. Alan Kelly was also about, as was Dean Kiely. If he was playing today, as a keeper with a bit of top flight experience and plenty of championship experience, he would likely be in every squad. 

Curtis Fleming also had a very good career, he was mainly a reserve full back in an era we had plenty top quality full backs, not really much different to where say, Cyrus Christie is now. 

Darren O'Dea was a fella who didn't fulfill his early promise, won 20 caps for us, certainly not deserving of any mockery. 

Carsley, 40 caps for us when his contemporaries were Keane, Holland, Kinsella, Kilbane and nearly 400 games in the top 2 flights in England. Enough said. 

McPhail- highly rated talent blighted by injury. 

Tommy Coyne- Ran himself to literal collapse in one of our most famous victories. 

I'd accept the rest were lucky to get any caps, or maybe shouldn't have got as many as they did, but it doesn't appear you can tell the difference between those lads and fellas who were actually decent footballers or unlucky with injuries. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 12:11am
Bonner

Irwin
Staunton
McGrath
Lawrenson

Keane (c)
Brady
Houghton
Duff

Stapleton
Keane

Big one for me was Quinn v Stapleton. Frank was my first favourite player so gets the nod. Shay v Packie tight too but Packie did more for us in green and Shays Euro 2012 shenanigans linger in the memory.

Separately, just on the Denis Irwin discussion, it really is crazy in hindsight that having played at every level for Ireland, including B , he didn't make his  full debut til he was 24. By June 1990 he was 10 times the right full back that Chris Morris was and had done enough to get a move to Man United. Crazy he wasnt at Italia 90, let alone even capped by then.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 8:42am
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Bonner

Irwin
Staunton
McGrath
Lawrenson

Keane (c)
Brady
Houghton
Duff

Stapleton
Keane

Big one for me was Quinn v Stapleton. Frank was my first favourite player so gets the nod. Shay v Packie tight too but Packie did more for us in green and Shays Euro 2012 shenanigans linger in the memory.

Separately, just on the Denis Irwin discussion, it really is crazy in hindsight that having played at every level for Ireland, including B , he didn't make his  full debut til he was 24. By June 1990 he was 10 times the right full back that Chris Morris was and had done enough to get a move to Man United. Crazy he wasnt at Italia 90, let alone even capped by then.

It's not crazy at all. Morris was winning things with Celtic at a time when the Scottish League was very close to the English league in terms of standard due to the European ban (Rangers had more players in the England squad that reached the semis in 1990, for example).

Irwin had come through at Leeds, been let go to Oldham for a song and had to rebuild his career there. He had an excellent season in 89/90 resulting in his move to Man U but there was no clamour for him to be selected ahead of our defence of Morris, McGrath, McCarthy, Moran, O'Leary, Staunton or even Hughton who wouldn't play. 

It's  easy to look at it with hindsight but the general concensus was that his time would come after the tournament and that was what transpired. 

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 10:25am
Stapleton another class act who the younger crew have missed.   What a goal he got away to Bulgaria in a game we lost but won the war.  A forgotten great irish goal, along with his goal away to Belgium.  McGrath got some great goals in that campaign too.  

AKA pedantic kunt
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

It's not crazy at all. Morris was winning things with Celtic at a time when the Scottish League was very close to the English league in terms of standard due to the European ban (Rangers had more players in the England squad that reached the semis in 1990, for example).

Irwin had come through at Leeds, been let go to Oldham for a song and had to rebuild his career there. He had an excellent season in 89/90 resulting in his move to Man U but there was no clamour for him to be selected ahead of our defence of Morris, McGrath, McCarthy, Moran, O'Leary, Staunton or even Hughton who wouldn't play. 

It's  easy to look at it with hindsight but the general concensus was that his time would come after the tournament and that was what transpired. 

There is some hindsight in this I admit but not as much as you say.  Im typing this from memory so apologies if I have the facts wrong, but...Irwin was playing incredible stuff in early 1990 (hence getting Fergie's attention). Oldham got to the League Cup Final, the FA Cup semi (an epic which they lost after a replay to United) and got promoted. At a time when there was f all football on telly, Oldham were everywhere.  in fact, because they played a lot of their matches on a Friday night, you would often see highlights of them, with Irwin standing out, in "The Saint & Greavsie" on Saturday mornings (I'm showing my age!).

Irwins form was such that he, and Milligan referred to above, were picked from Oldham to play in the famous Ireland B v England B match at Turner's Cross in ca April 1990 - a match set up specifically to look at "late bolters" for the plane to Italy. As you probably know Ireland won 4-1 against a fantastic (on paper anyway) English team and certainly Niall Quinn's Ireland career got accelerated that day (btw is there a thread on that match somewhere? If not there should be - I think it was arguably the most enjoyable game I was ever at, Tony Adams is still scarred by his treatment from the Shed that day!).  From recollection Irwin had a very good game and set up a goal. As stated he had a fantastic Cup Semi then in two really highly watched games too. Certainly down here we had great hopes by April 1990 that Irwin would sneak onto the plane.

Meanwhile everyone knew Chris Morris was our poorest player by then and  I stick to my point, that by early 1990, you could make a very strong case for capping Irwin in some pre tournament full matches (had we any mind?) and taking him to Italy.  Forgetting even defending, Chris Morris' crossing v Denis Irwins crossing as at 1990? No contest. Morris was awful in something key to the Charlton way of playing.

Cant remember if we brought a sub right back? You name 7 backs above so perhaps not? Logic might have been that McGrath could play right back or one of the left backs could switch over, but not sure how well either of those would have worked out if Morris got injured.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 1:08pm

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

There is some hindsight in this I admit but not as much as you say.  Im typing this from memory so apologies if I have the facts wrong, but...Irwin was playing incredible stuff in early 1990 (hence getting Fergie's attention). Oldham got to the League Cup Final, the FA Cup semi (an epic which they lost after a replay to United) and got promoted. At a time when there was f all football on telly, Oldham were everywhere.  in fact, because they played a lot of their matches on a Friday night, you would often see highlights of them, with Irwin standing out, in "The Saint & Greavsie" on Saturday mornings (I'm showing my age!).

Irwins form was such that he, and Milligan referred to above, were picked from Oldham to play in the famous Ireland B v England B match at Turner's Cross in ca April 1990 - a match set up specifically to look at "late bolters" for the plane to Italy. As you probably know Ireland won 4-1 against a fantastic (on paper anyway) English team and certainly Niall Quinn's Ireland career got accelerated that day (btw is there a thread on that match somewhere? If not there should be - I think it was arguably the most enjoyable game I was ever at, Tony Adams is still scarred by his treatment from the Shed that day!).  From recollection Irwin had a very good game and set up a goal. As stated he had a fantastic Cup Semi then in two really highly watched games too. Certainly down here we had great hopes by April 1990 that Irwin would sneak onto the plane.

Meanwhile everyone knew Chris Morris was our poorest player by then and  I stick to my point, that by early 1990, you could make a very strong case for capping Irwin in some pre tournament full matches (had we any mind?) and taking him to Italy.  Forgetting even defending, Chris Morris' crossing v Denis Irwins crossing as at 1990? No contest. Morris was awful in something key to the Charlton way of playing.

Cant remember if we brought a sub right back? You name 7 backs above so perhaps not? Logic might have been that McGrath could play right back or one of the left backs could switch over, but not sure how well either of those would have worked out if Morris got injured.

You're not wrong with any of that generally. I'd argue that Quinn and Kelly were already well established squad members given they had been in the Euro 88 squad and Quinn had seen game time in that tournament. I think they were put in just to get a run as Jack wanted to look at Slaven up front in the senior friendly that week. Interestingly, Jim Beglin had just been promoted with Leeds and was picked as the other full back in the B game for his last appearance in green iirc. 

But regarding Irwin, Morris had been first choice through Euro 88 and all the Italia 90 qualifiers and was nailed on for the squad. So for Irwin to get in it would have been ahead of one of the other defenders. I think that list of 7 is the lot. Realistically, it's only Chris Hughton that could have made way who had started to fade from the first team picture at Spurs and had suffered from injury. But given he'd played in the top flight for years before then and his service in green, I don't think there was any appetite for him to be replaced by someone who had never played in the top flight at that stage. Probably a bit of sentimentality involved. Irwin was unfortunate that we were very strong at the back rather than say midfield where Gary Waddock made the initial squad before McLoughlin, who also played in that B game I think, forced him out due to doubts over Houghton's fitness. Or up front where Slaven got picked. I just don't think there was any chance that Jack was going to change the team that had qualified due to an admittedly superb run of form from that January nor was there any expectation. 

Funny enough, I was at all the games back then and regularly bemoaned Morris' crossing. A few years later, I was having a pint in Quinn's with a mate and they were playing the video of the Italia 90 qualifiers. Who was pumping in quality ball after quality ball? Chris fcuking Morris! LOL I know it was highlights but we had a good laugh over it!
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 1:13pm
Thumbs Up
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 1:25pm

Thumbs Up

Actually found the teams and a video of that B game if anyone's intersted. Was a very strong England side. 

Ireland B: Gary Kelly, Denis Irwin (Terry Phelan), Jim Beglin, Derek Brazil, Pat Scully, Alan McLoughlin (Kenneth de Mange), Brian Mooney, Mike Milligan (Gary Waddock), Niall Quinn, David Kelly (Owen Coyle), Mark Kelly

England B: Dave Beasant (David Seaman), Lee Dixon (Ian Snodin), Nigel Winterburn, Carlton Palmer, Andy Linighan, Tony Adams, Matthew Le Tissier (Tony Daley), David Batty, Paul Williams (Nigel Clough), Dalian Atkinson, Andy Sinton, Paul Lake

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Keith branagan 

Alex Bruce
Liam Daish 
Curtis Fleming
Darren o'dea 

Lee Carsley
Paul Green 
Stephen mcphail 
Darren Potter 

Tommy Coyne 
Caleb Folan

Branagan had a solid career, played 2 or 3 years in the EPL with Bolton when they were a half decent team. His time with Ireland was around the end of Bonner's career, coinciding with the emergence of Given. Alan Kelly was also about, as was Dean Kiely. If he was playing today, as a keeper with a bit of top flight experience and plenty of championship experience, he would likely be in every squad. 

Curtis Fleming also had a very good career, he was mainly a reserve full back in an era we had plenty top quality full backs, not really much different to where say, Cyrus Christie is now. 

Darren O'Dea was a fella who didn't fulfill his early promise, won 20 caps for us, certainly not deserving of any mockery. 

Carsley, 40 caps for us when his contemporaries were Keane, Holland, Kinsella, Kilbane and nearly 400 games in the top 2 flights in England. Enough said. 

McPhail- highly rated talent blighted by injury. 

Tommy Coyne- Ran himself to literal collapse in one of our most famous victories. 

I'd accept the rest were lucky to get any caps, or maybe shouldn't have got as many as they did, but it doesn't appear you can tell the difference between those lads and fellas who were actually decent footballers or unlucky with injuries. 

Just a bit of fun deise, a list knocked out in 5 mins. It wasnt mean't to be subject to scrutiny.i get the feeling you probably knew that though.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 2:45pm
We had an embarrassment of riches at full back for about a decade. Saw a game recently where we had Irwin, Phelan and Staunton on the pitch. Essentially three top left backs. Under Trap and O’Neill we didn’t have one (despite some brave efforts from Kilbane)
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

We had an embarrassment of riches at full back for about a decade. Saw a game recently where we had Irwin, Phelan and Staunton on the pitch. Essentially three top left backs. Under Trap and O’Neill we didn’t have one (despite some brave efforts from Kilbane)

Phelan was not a top left back.  He was a grand premier league player.  If he was around now he would be one of our better players but not a top player and shouldn't be compared to Irwin or even staunton.  

Irwin was class and world class at that Staunton was a very good player who won leagues at liverpool but wasnt world class  
AKA pedantic kunt
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Phelan was not a top left back.  He was a grand premier league player.  If he was around now he would be one of our better players but not a top player and shouldn't be compared to Irwin or even staunton.  

Irwin was class and world class at that Staunton was a very good player who won leagues at liverpool but wasnt world class  

Yeah, I’d agree with you. I suppose “top flight” is what I was thinking. He would certainly have been handy 15 years later. There was once a story about him going to Barcelona I think. He was f**king fast in fairness
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 3:08pm
So was shergar but not fast enough 

Edited by Baldrick - 25 Apr 2020 at 3:08pm
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
  Share Topic