You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Ireland XI of Your Life Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 4:41pm
Given
Irwin
McGrath
Dunne
Staunton
Duff
Whelan
Keane
Sheedy
Keane
Quinn
Some people just deserve a slap
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Delfor Mullin Delfor Mullin wrote:

my team 

1-Shay Given
2-Paul McGrath
3-Jim Beglin
4-Kevin Moran
5-David O´Leary
6-Roy Keane
7-Robbie Keane
8-Ronnie Whelan
9-Frank Stapleton
10-Liam Brady
11-Damian Duff

Struggling to figure out the formation 
AKA pedantic kunt
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 4:59pm
Given
Irwin Dunne McGrath Staunton
Houghton Keane R. Whelan Sheedy
Duff Keane
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Delfor Mullin View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delfor Mullin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Delfor Mullin Delfor Mullin wrote:

my team 

1-Shay Given
2-Paul McGrath
3-Jim Beglin
4-Kevin Moran
5-David O´Leary
6-Roy Keane
7-Robbie Keane
8-Ronnie Whelan
9-Frank Stapleton
10-Liam Brady
11-Damian Duff

Struggling to figure out the formation 

anyone from McGrath/Moran/O`Leary as fullback on the right.  Main attack throughout Jim Beglin, was the best attacking left back in Europe for over two years, even a Calcio move was on the  table at  the time, until he was injured.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 5:23pm
It should be 'Ro.' Keane to avoid confusion. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

Given
Irwin McGrath Dunne Staunton

Keane
Houghton Duff
Townsend

Keane Quinn

Starting watching Ireland about 93. This would be it for me
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Given
Irwin
McGrath
Dunne
Staunton
Duff
Whelan
Keane
Sheedy
Keane
Quinn

Like that line though find it difficult not to have Liam Brady in the team.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:31pm

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Baldie I think the problem is we're too young. Ronnie was a bit part player for Ireland past '88. So anyone under 40 probably doesn't remember him at his peak for Ireland

Yeah exactly. He made his debut in 81 and played in some cracking games i.e. 3-2 against the french 

But Jack used him sparingly enough after 88. In fact, i had forgotten that he captained the side to that horrible draw away on the mountain top to liechtenstein in 95. He was done then. 

He was a mainstay for the qualifiers for Italia 90. Class against northern Ireland at home and spain at home.   If you include sheedy and houghton I find it hard how people have whelan left out to be replaced by glen whelan etc.  
If you didnt see ireland to post 90 I can see how Townsend is there.   
Yeah I was 7 at Italia 90 so don't really remember anything before that.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 7:16pm

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Baldie I think the problem is we're too young. Ronnie was a bit part player for Ireland past '88. So anyone under 40 probably doesn't remember him at his peak for Ireland

Yeah exactly. He made his debut in 81 and played in some cracking games i.e. 3-2 against the french 

But Jack used him sparingly enough after 88. In fact, i had forgotten that he captained the side to that horrible draw away on the mountain top to liechtenstein in 95. He was done then. 

He was a mainstay for the qualifiers for Italia 90. Class against northern Ireland at home and spain at home.   If you include sheedy and houghton I find it hard how people have whelan left out to be replaced by glen whelan etc.  
If you didnt see ireland to post 90 I can see how Townsend is there.   

Was there a serious suggestion to have Glen Whelan in instead? Saw him mentioned once as a joke with Townsend actually being the selection.

Ronnie gpt injured at the tail end of the 89/90 season and was very injury prone for Ireland during and post Italia '90. Wasn't fit in 94 eiither but still made the squad and got a run against Norway.

He was an exceptional player at his peak and is underrated. Suffered due to the fact that he wasn't fit for either World Cup, would be rated higher had he been fit and picked. His career after 1990 wasa very stop/start till he retired.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 12:37am
Given
Irwin
McGrath
Dunne
Stan
Houghton
Royston
R.Whelan
Sheedy
Quinn
Rob Keane

Just on Irwin, I don't have the exact stats on how many times he played LB for Ireland, but he mostly played on the right. He was a right footed right back at Leeds & Oldham, who Ferguson coverted to LB at Man U. He did play for us at LB a few times, like when Sheedy was injured and Staunton was pushed to LW, but I'd say less than 10 of his caps were playing left back. 

I really only saw the end of Mark Lawrenson's and Liam Brady's careers, both great players and all time Ireland XI candidates who would be in that team (ahead of Dunne & Ronnie) if my memory was better !

Other candidates, maybe an odd one, but Kenny Cunningham rarely made an error playing for us, yet would rarely feature in any 'greatest Irish CB's' conversation. I do think people would have viewed that differently had he kept his fitness before 2002 and been able to stay 1st choice, as he was pre injury, for the 2002 WC ahead of one of Breen or Stan (who is in my team at LB, but was never a convincing CB in my view)

Moran is an obvious one, tough as nails defender who rarely had a bad game, put his head anywhere. O'Shea, nah. He really only played well for us after Trap took over and eventually moved him to CB when St Ledger had the first of his many injuries in his 2nd campaign. He was rock solid after that, but his early years, and probably about 50/60 caps, he nearly attracted as much criticism as Whelan & Hendrick do these days, some of it justified. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 5:32am
First game I can remember watching was Saudi Arabia 2002 & first game I was at was the friendly against Australia in 2003. So will go from 02 - Present

My team would be..

Given

Coleman Dunne O’Shea Kilbane

Keane McCarthy

Wes

Duff Keane Long

Serious lack of options in midfield as nobody after Roy has stood out in the centre for us so went with who is the best player on form out of Whelan, Andrews & McCarthy. 

Long not the most naturally gifted but the effect his workrate over the past decade has had on the team cannot be underestimated and of course that goal v Germany. 

Randolph has never put foot wrong for us either, deserves a shout.
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 7:02am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Given
Irwin
McGrath
Dunne
Stan
Houghton
Royston
R.Whelan
Sheedy
Quinn
Rob Keane

Just on Irwin, I don't have the exact stats on how many times he played LB for Ireland, but he mostly played on the right. He was a right footed right back at Leeds & Oldham, who Ferguson coverted to LB at Man U. He did play for us at LB a few times, like when Sheedy was injured and Staunton was pushed to LW, but I'd say less than 10 of his caps were playing left back. 

I really only saw the end of Mark Lawrenson's and Liam Brady's careers, both great players and all time Ireland XI candidates who would be in that team (ahead of Dunne & Ronnie) if my memory was better !

Other candidates, maybe an odd one, but Kenny Cunningham rarely made an error playing for us, yet would rarely feature in any 'greatest Irish CB's' conversation. I do think people would have viewed that differently had he kept his fitness before 2002 and been able to stay 1st choice, as he was pre injury, for the 2002 WC ahead of one of Breen or Stan (who is in my team at LB, but was never a convincing CB in my view)

Moran is an obvious one, tough as nails defender who rarely had a bad game, put his head anywhere. O'Shea, nah. He really only played well for us after Trap took over and eventually moved him to CB when St Ledger had the first of his many injuries in his 2nd campaign. He was rock solid after that, but his early years, and probably about 50/60 caps, he nearly attracted as much criticism as Whelan & Hendrick do these days, some of it justified. 

Fair points,I just always feel he was slightly better on the left. 
The problem with Kenny Cunningham is if you play him you have to play his eyebrows. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 8:52am
Why was it that Irwin has so few caps?

Was it just our lack of games during his time?(not qualifying for 3 tournaments during his time in the squad 92,06, 98) Was it injuries? Was it Ferguson just being a prick and pulling him from squads? Did Charlton and Mick just prefer someone else at right/left back over him?
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 9:02am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Was it just our lack of games during his time?(not qualifying for 3 tournaments during his time in the squad 92,06, 98) Was it injuries? Was it Ferguson just being a prick and pulling him from squads? Did Charlton and Mick just prefer someone else at right/left back over him?
From looking at his appearances, looks like he only missed 12 games in his prime, when he turned 30, Gary Kelly appeared as a 22 year old. 

Looks like a lot of the games he was dropped were due to his pace, most famously when Phelan played against Netherlands in 94 to mark Overmars.

Also interesting in that list, he only played 4 of 16 friendlies in his time.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 9:06am
He was still playing in the second division in 1990, moving to Old Trafford that summer and making his debut that season and he was 24 at that point. 
I don't think he was every Charlton's type of player, there was some rumour,  I think, of a disagreement, but most of his caps came over those two campaigns where he was first choice. 
I think by the time Mick came in Fergie was able to tell national managers where to go, see Giggs and Keane, and Mick was bringing through the youth. He was still involved though. His free-kick against Belgium stands out in my mind as being the most 'un-Irish' goal of that decade!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 9:22am
Also, it could be argued that Irwin finished his international career somewhat prematurely. Players like Niall Quinn were not significantly older, yet still played on until 2002. Irwin left Manchester United that year, and could have attended the 2002 WC, albeit at 36 years old. The  likes of Cascarino, Houghton, McGrath and Aldo all made their final appearances in squads and in games on the other side of 35. You either start your international career early, or extend it. But even at that, Irwin would probably still have fallen short of being a 100 cap winner.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 9:32am

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

From looking at his appearances, looks like he only missed 12 games in his prime, when he turned 30, Gary Kelly appeared as a 22 year old. 

Looks like a lot of the games he was dropped were due to his pace, most famously when Phelan played against Netherlands in 94 to mark Overmars.

Also interesting in that list, he only played 4 of 16 friendlies in his time.

So it's kind of mixture of a few of the above so
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 9:42am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He was still playing in the second division in 1990, moving to Old Trafford that summer and making his debut that season and he was 24 at that point. 
I don't think he was every Charlton's type of player, there was some rumour,  I think, of a disagreement, but most of his caps came over those two campaigns where he was first choice. 
I think by the time Mick came in Fergie was able to tell national managers where to go, see Giggs and Keane, and Mick was bringing through the youth. He was still involved though. His free-kick against Belgium stands out in my mind as being the most 'un-Irish' goal of that decade!

Not sure if Dinny was included in this but didnt Mick tell some of the senior players like McGrath to prove themselves for inclusion?

The folly of a youthful manager in his first real gig. 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic