Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Ireland XI of Your Life Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 3:14pm
Including Norman Whiteside as a striker too.

9 goals for NI
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 3:17pm
There is a definite bang of "in my day..." off those three teams selected alright.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 3:39pm
Irelands golden generation thus far. What are we thinking? Around Italia 90? USA 94? Or are we looking at the 2000 team? Maybe 88?

Edited by Left foot - 05 May 2020 at 3:39pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

9 goals for NI
After an astonishing scoring record in youth football, Whiteside was first picked by Ferguson for Man U as a striker, while he was still only 17. Bingham picked him up front at the World Cup Finals at the same time.

But later when he picked up a series of knee injuries which cost him his pace (he had been a schoolboy sprint champion), he was still so strong and skilful that they both moved him back into midfield. Eventually the injuries became too much and after a couple of seasons struggling at Everton, he packed it in at the age of 26.

Considering that strikers invariably score more goals as they get older, and his unmatched big game temperament (youngest player at a World Cup Finals, youngest to score in a Wembley Final, youngest to score in an FA Cup Final etc), had it not been for injury, he'd surely have gone on to be one of the all-times greats, any stage, any era.

As it was, you might consider that he didn't quite achieve enough to be worth a place in this team, but from what he did manage, he surely has to be a contender, whether as striker or midfielder.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

9 goals for NI
After an astonishing scoring record in youth football, Whiteside was first picked by Ferguson for Man U as a striker, while he was still only 17. Bingham picked him up front at the World Cup Finals at the same time.

But later when he picked up a series of knee injuries which cost him his pace (he had been a schoolboy sprint champion), he was still so strong and skilful that they both moved him back into midfield. Eventually the injuries became too much and after a couple of seasons struggling at Everton, he packed it in at the age of 26.

Considering that strikers invariably score more goals as they get older, and his unmatched big game temperament (youngest player at a World Cup Finals, youngest to score in a Wembley Final, youngest to score in an FA Cup Final etc), had it not been for injury, he'd surely have gone on to be one of the all-times greats, any stage, any era.

As it was, you might consider that he didn't quite achieve enough to be worth a place in this team, but from what he did manage, he surely has to be a contender, whether as striker or midfielder.

Certainly a contendor in midfield. Not even in the discussion as a striker. He was playing midfield long before his injuries.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:32pm

9 goals for NI

Ron Atkinson surely 'T' picked him as a teenager?? - Ferguson got rid of him because of the drinking culture along with big Paul.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Ron Atkinson surely 'T' picked him as a teenager?? - Ferguson got rid of him because of the drinking culture along with big Paul.
Oops! Embarrassed You're quite right, it was Big Ron who gave him his MU debut.

But insofar as the drinking will have contributed to his departure (and SAF kept Bryan Robson on), it was as much because he was "done".

And as it happens, Norman warmly acknowledges Ferguson's help and advice in negotiating his contract at Everton - basically told him what he should ask for. So much so that he made more from them in 2 seasons than he'd earned in the previous 5 years at OT!

Consequently, when Ferguson was going through a rocky patch at MU and his future was in severe doubt, Norman says that one of the red tops offered him a fortune (iirc £50k) to dig the dirt on Ferguson.

The Big Man told them to piss off! Thumbs Up

Edited by Territorial - 05 May 2020 at 5:55pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Certainly a contendor in midfield. Not even in the discussion as a striker. He was playing midfield long before his injuries.

Depends which "injuries" you're talking about. As a young man, he had received some bad treatment from a physio on Belfast, which adversely affect his hip alignment (he always did have an ungainly running style).

He later started picking up knee injuries which hampered him further, possibly as a knock-on from the hip problems?

Anyhow, with Best and Robbie Keane available up front, I'd play NW in midfield - every bit as competitive and skilful as Roy Keane and far harder! Wink

Tbh, Stormin Norman is nearly as big a "what if" as George Best, except that George's problems were self-inflicted, Norman was just damned unlucky.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 6:22pm
I really don't think Whiteside achieved enough to be in the team, either at club or international level. Best wasted a lot, but he also achieved a hell of a lot in the short time he was at the top. So even though his NI career might have been a bit underwhelming, he's obviously a shoo-in for the team. Don't know enough about him, but Blanchflower seems to have been a great player and would be more or a contender than Whiteside based on what I've heard.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I really don't think Whiteside achieved enough to be in the team, either at club or international level. Best wasted a lot, but he also achieved a hell of a lot in the short time he was at the top. So even though his NI career might have been a bit underwhelming, he's obviously a shoo-in for the team. Don't know enough about him, but Blanchflower seems to have been a great player and would be more or a contender than Whiteside based on what I've heard.
Big Norm was easliy the finest prospect to come out of NI since Best. Still is, in fact.

But fair enough comment overall, esp Blanchflower, who deserves it for his captaincy alone:

Another v.strong contender in midfield would be Jimmy McIlroy, acknowledged as their greatest ever player by Burnley, who named a stand after him. He played for the NI team which reached the World Cup Quarter Finals in 1958 and then in the Burnley team who were Champions of England in 1959/60 (4th, 2nd and 3rd the following seasons):

And from the same era, Peter McParland was a v.fine goalscoring winger, with 10 goals in 34 caps for NI, five of them in five games in Sweden in 1958. To this day, only Lineker (10) and Kane (6) from the British Isles have scored more goals in WC Finals tournaments. Also notched 98 goals in 293 league games for A.Villa. Oh, and was born in the same street in Newry as Pat Jennings!
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 7:31pm
You might as well throw Peter(Doherty) the Great in there - captained Man City to their first title.

Jimmy McIlroy was a class act - my neighbour is a Burnley fan and still raves about him.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 7:37pm

9 goals for NI

Not doubting that injuries robbed him, but for me he didn't play enough to be considered part of Ireland best 11.

And more importantly he was before my time :)

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 7:44pm
Burnley were well ahead in the league in 1961 -62 until McIlroy was injured.  They hardly got another point over the last 10 games and finished 2nd. They lost in the cup final also that year. They got to the quarter final of the European Cup too in the McIlroy era, losing 5-4  on aggregate, McIlroy hitting the post twice in the last ten mins, if one had of gone in, they would have had a replay for a semi final spot.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

You might as well throw Peter(Doherty) the Great in there - captained Man City to their first title.

Jimmy McIlroy was a class act - my neighbour is a Burnley fan and still raves about him.
GG must be good craic having a Claret next door Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by longford claret longford claret wrote:

Burnley were well ahead in the league in 1961 -62 until McIlroy was injured.  They hardly got another point over the last 10 games and finished 2nd. They lost in the cup final also that year.
Unfortunate to be overshadowed by the great Spurs team of that era - Double winners in 1960/61, FA Cup winners in 1962 and ECWC winners in 1963 (1st ever European trophy by a British team).

Originally posted by longford claret longford claret wrote:

They got to the quarter final of the European Cup too in the McIlroy era, losing 5-4  on aggregate, McIlroy hitting the post twice in the last ten mins, if one had of gone in, they would have had a replay for a semi final spot.
Didn't know about Jimmy Mc's bad luck, though tbf, the "Quarter Final" was also the 2nd Round i.e. to get there they only had to win a 1st Round game (beat Stade de Reims 4-3 on aggregate, McIlroy getting a crucial goal at Turf Moor).

The following season (`1961/62), Spurs had to play a Preliminary Round (beat Gornik Zabrze 10-5 on aggregate), a 1st Round (beat Feyenoord 4-2 on agg) and a Quarter Final (beat Dukla Prague 4-2 on agg), to get as far as the Semi-Final.

There they played the holders, the great Benfica team, losing 3-1 in Lisbon, before winning 2-1 at WHL. Jimmy Greaves had a goal ruled out for offside at home which he swears was onside. Having seen the video, it did look harsh.

Anyhow, Blanchflower scored a penalty that night.
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 8:23pm
Yes, think Burnley had a good goal disallowed v Spurs too in the 62 cup final, would have made it 2-2. Spurs won 3 -1 after.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 8:44pm
Way before any of our times, but I would wager that Jimmy Dunne has the best goalscoring record of any Irish player ever. It's absolutely phenomenal.
We're decent enough..
bastardsonoflimpar View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bastardsonoflimpar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 9:04pm
                     Given

Coleman Moran  McGrath  Dunne  Irwin

Houghton Keane (C) Whelan  Sheedy

Keane 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic