You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many away games have you been to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 2:59pm

first was stutgart 88, then nothing til latvia lithuania  93 two weeks there and in russia mad...then loads for jack and macarthy first time...only paris for kerr. wales away in 2007 only one for staunton.,, a couple for trap. good few trips for the dream team..france 2016 was great i thought... 
Come on Irelind
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

I got burnt alive in Lyon!

Cracking sunshine in Lyon alright but the weather was garbage for most of the trip. 

Same in Poland bar a few days. Went to Sopot with the missus to unwind for five days after the Italy game as payment for going to Berlin and the first Poznan game with the lads and it p1ssed it down for the five days before finally turning on the day we were leaving!

Not as if you're going for the weather anyway. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

first was stutgart 88, then nothing til latvia lithuania  93 two weeks there and in russia mad...then loads for jack and macarthy first time...only paris for kerr. wales away in 2007 only one for staunton.,, a couple for trap. good few trips for the dream team..france 2016 was great i thought... 

Wasn't Stan gone before the Wales game? Think Givens was in charge for it. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 7:11pm
Wembley under Giles,lost 0-2,sh*te trip loads of w**kers following us and them.
Then under Hand Brussels 0-1 robbed,Paris 0-2 robbed again, Rotterdam twice 1-2, good game,2-2 great game,Malta 1-0 we robbed them lol,went to all Hand era homes plus  all charlton era homes but gave up on aways .88 was unemployed and had just started a new job in 90 so missed the two biggies,had become a bit jaded after that tbh and been to very few internationals since.
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 7:29pm
I was on all the 80/81 trips as went with my Dad I was 13 then. It's in back of my mind so definitely happened .... does anyone recall some trouble with Irish fans on one of them trips. I think it was Brussels. It's in my head that police with dogs went at Irish fans and from memory Irish Shepherds Bush Flag, probably QPR. I think the paddies did nothing  but police trying provoke them. 
Anyone recall this ??
Mad trips then. Met up at Funtrek on Sunday night then into bus, onto ferry down through England then Mon night in London then ferry across to Zeebrugge then Brussels then match Wed night then back Thurs stopping in London then onto Manchester for Sat match Man U V Everton and back Sunday :) 7 day trip !!!! No Ryanair then. I think whole trip 130 punts

Edited by ProudAndLoud - 29 Apr 2020 at 7:31pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

I got burnt alive in Lyon!

So was shane duffy 
AKA pedantic kunt
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 7:54pm
89 away trips with first in Paris 1980 and last in Geneva 2019. Hope to make the century soon !
Without doubt Windsor Park 93 the most hostile atmosphere ever. Got piss thrown down on us from stand above in Istanbul but the hate and venom from Northies that night was vicious.
I'm glad times have changed.

Edited by ProudAndLoud - 30 Apr 2020 at 10:09am
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

89 way trips with first in Paris 1980 and last in Geneva 2019. Hope to make the century soon !
Without doubt Windsor Park 93 the most hostile atmosphere ever. Got piss thrown down on us from stand above in Istanbul but the hate and venom from Northies that night was vicious.
Was that the play off game in Bursa?
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:37pm
No Kevin match in 1991 Euro qualifier we won 3-1
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:50pm
Thumbs Up
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 9:37pm

89 way trips with first in Paris 1980 and last in Geneva 2019. Hope to make the century soon !
was there an official away end or was sit on your hands stuff in Belfast? How many would we have brought to Istanbul around then?
SeanPeadir View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanPeadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by SeanPeadir SeanPeadir wrote:

Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Only responded how anyone here would Tongue

Some great memories reading this thread. My favourite trip was France 2016. It had everything including probably the 2 and a half best games of football we played in the decade. Great viewing the Two Shades RTÉ documentary on Sunday.

Plenty more to look forward to after this pandemic

France was class. Good football memories, great weather, easy travel and big Irish crowds having the craic. 

Confused weather was sh*t

Paris - meh
Bordeuax sh*t bar matchday - note - the glorious sunshine the preceeding 2 weeks
Lille - sh*t
Lyon - decent

Which Lille game did you go to? Certainly not the Ireland/Italy game. Clear sky and sun the day of the game.
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 10:22pm
No I was good mates with Niall Quinn and I got 2 tickets from him for Belfast so was in FAI section but it was about 50 fans there and usual blazers stayed a bit away from us as they afraid of trouble. 
Cant say it wasnt scary and in fairness to RUC they put a cordon around us. After we were on our own leaving ground so didnt open our mouths.
Istanbul was qualification after Germany 88 and Italia 90 and we were unlucky not to qualify again. From memory very big support in Poznan against Poland 3-3 and then in Istanbul about a thousand.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 12:19am

No I was good mates with Niall Quinn and I got 2 tickets from him for Belfast so was in FAI section but it was about 50 fans there and usual blazers stayed a bit away from us as they afraid of trouble. 
Cant say it wasnt scary and in fairness to RUC they put a cordon around us. After we were on our own leaving ground so didnt open our mouths.
Istanbul was qualification after Germany 88 and Italia 90 and we were unlucky not to qualify again. From memory very big support in Poznan against Poland 3-3 and then in Istanbul about a thousand.

Sounds like an ordeal but the memories will last longer.

I’m sure it’s a memory you’ll take to the grave 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 8:04am

Some great memories reading this thread. My favourite trip was France 2016. It had everything including probably the 2 and a half best games of football we played in the decade. Great viewing the Two Shades RTÉ documentary on Sunday.

France was class. Good football memories, great weather, easy travel and big Irish crowds having the craic. 

Paris - meh
Bordeuax sh*t bar matchday - note - the glorious sunshine the preceeding 2 weeks
Lille - sh*t
Lyon - decent

Which Lille game did you go to? Certainly not the Ireland/Italy game. Clear sky and sun the day of the game.

Ahhh i see you dont know NR do you ?
Lots try to keep away from him as he has this dark cloud which hovers above him where ever he go's so it may be bright and sunny but NR only see doom and gloom that's why the weather is always poor with him Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 9:19am
In answer to a few posts.

A couple of friends have been going since the early 70's.

France 73 was probably the start of large away crowd.  Hundreds went.  ditto for Berne 75 and most went overland.  Paris 76 saw a couple of thousand.  A decent crowd went to Bulgaria in 77 but very few in 79.  Wembley 80 had decent support (my Dad went without me).  

Travel really took off for the 82 campaign.  I remember listening to Cyprus away on the radio and loads of Irish soldiers were there.  Paris, Brussels and Rotterdam were all accessible then albeit overland for most.  It was at least 24 hours travelling to reach Rotterdam in 1981.  Support was huge in those days.  We had big support long before Jack arrived.  Football was also the most played sport in the country before Jack took over.         

Istanbul 91 was scary.  Loads with tickets locked out.  I was lucky to get in.  Afterwards we were attacked.  Even the under-21 game the day before was hairy.  Bursa 99 was a great trip.  No issues at all.  

Prior to the 70's away travel was difficult and expensive.  A few hundred took the packet to Liverpool in 1949.  Wembley 57 and Hampden 61 also had decent travelling support but hundreds I understand.  There was a trip by air to the Nations Cup quarter final in 1964 but I believe the numbers were in double digits.  I recall an article that claimed 13 fans made the trip to Paris in 1965 for the playoff.      
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Paris - meh
Lille - sh*t
Lyon - decent

Ahhh i see you dont know NR do you ?
Lots try to keep away from him as he has this dark cloud which hovers above him where ever he go's so it may be bright and sunny but NR only see doom and gloom that's why the weather is always poor with him Big smile

Jesus Murph nail on the head there :)   best NR quote of all time.  I dont like people in general 
AKA pedantic kunt
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Jesus Murph nail on the head there :)   best NR quote of all time.  I dont like people in general 

Correction  - I said 'I am not a people person'

Mon - rain barely 20 deg
Tues rain barely 20 deg
Wed - sun only came out late afternoon 27 deg

Ergo mostly sh*t  and in a similar vein to Bordeaux the weather was great the preceeding days before we arrived
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
  Share Topic