Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy sacked as Cardiff manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 24>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 8:56am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Is that a joke? Someone who at worst acted criminally, and at best recklessly and dishonestly in order to extract money from the association, is comparable to McCarthy? It's Delaney's FAULT that the FAI is in the state it is, that is why he wouldn't deserve a payoff. Mick has no responsibility for what happened, therefore there is no moral reason he should forego the payment due to him.

No moral reason, aye, that's a good one alright. Struggling to think of many meself. Oh hold on, healthcare professionals struggling for PPE equipment while a life threatening deadly virus is going on. Half a million people out of work. People earning 'normal' wages facing into a long recession. People dying by the dozen each day.  

But all grand, in those circumstances, for the taxpayer to pick up the tab for Mick, to pay him for a years work he will never do, and was never going to do in the first place. 300k a game, putting him roughly on par (per game) with Klopp and Jose. As another corrupt individual once said to the nation ''We are living beyond our means''.

And to pay off the multi-millionaire Robbie Keane, who according to the last Sunday Times rich list, is worth 43m, making him the 250th wealthiest individual in this country. I'd hold the 249 above him in equal contempt if they were trying to claim money off the government at this time too. 

What people are wilfully ignoring here is this isn't like Liverpool or Spurs, whose owners can well afford to pay their staff and shouldn't be relying on government funds. i think most people accept that, including as of this evening, well, Liverpool. The FAI is broke because of previous actions of an inept CEO, kept there for years by utter gobsh*tes willing to ignore his multitude of failings. That is true too. 

But now a combination of the fans, through consuming products of sponsors, and the taxpayer, are funding the FAI. And lads on here are trying to tell us that because Mick and Robbie have pieces of paper legally entitling them to massive payoffs, that makes it all OK ? Not for me it doesn't anyway. 

I'll ask this, say if this was a sponsorship deal gone wrong, like the Sports Direct/Ashley one, and the lads involved were one of say, the considerably wealthier Denis O'Brien, Larry Goodman or Mick O'Leary, and they were owed a million quid from the FAI. 

Would everyone be absolutely happy they if they took the (effectively government) money at this point in time (that bit is important) because they were legally entitled to it ?? 

''Yeah , well Larry is down to his last 14 billion lads, he's well entitled to it'' 

I wonder alright. 

Yet another false equivalence. There is no link between McCarthy and healthcare workers. Trying to magic one up by moaning and screaming about "taxpayer money" (jJesus, people really love that one when they're making a desperate argument) doesn't create one.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 9:06am
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 9:22am
Ah sure what would Emmet malone know. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 9:28am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Ah sure what would Emmet malone know. 
First off, he is making assumptions about their financial situations. That is fair to make in Keane’s case, but not in Mick’s.
Aside of that, there is little to disagree with. It would be a wonderful gesture on both their parts, but one nobody can really expect them to make and he is hardly comparing them to thieves, or anything else, for not doing it.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 9:29am
Nice gentle tone from Emmet to be fair.  
AKA pedantic kunt
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 11:40am
I think Mick should get a few quid but not the end of contract bonus and a qualifying bonus. That would be crazy. Robbie should also get a token gesture. He should have been smart enough to know that the next Ireland manager would want his own team but also he was probably sold a pup by JD.

In general payments to our managers are crazy.

Also the walking around money the players get on arrival into camp needs to be stopped. This is not like the old days. Even the Championship players are on big money. Think it is around €700 they get on arrival to squad get together. Keep in mind first division champions get €30k. By all means they should be treated well but we are a small country and need to cut our cloth.

It's not me it's you:-)
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 12:17pm
i think our big management payments where created when denis  o brien agreed to pay some of trap wages... i dont think we were paying massive salaries before that.. obviously trap demanded it.. therefore the fai had to match big payments after that.. 
Come on Irelind
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 12:37pm
jd always paid way over the odds for everything loved playing the big man. As for Mick still regard him as an Irish Legend as Player and manager . The blame over the sh*tshow that was the contracts signed by him and Stephen Kenny signed is totally down to jd and the old board of directors of the fai no one else.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

jd always paid way over the odds for everything loved playing the big man. As for Mick still regard him as an Irish Legend as Player and manager . The blame over the sh*tshow that was the contracts signed by him and Stephen Kenny signed is totally down to jd and the old board of directors of the fai no one else.

If McCarthy were to take his full salary and extras and possible bonus as agreed with Delaney, and what McCarthy now knows about Delaney and where the FAI are. I think most fans would have a very dim view of him.   
It would damage this forums' reputation
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

I think Mick should get a few quid but not the end of contract bonus and a qualifying bonus. That would be crazy. Robbie should also get a token gesture. He should have been smart enough to know that the next Ireland manager would want his own team but also he was probably sold a pup by JD.

In general payments to our managers are crazy.

Also the walking around money the players get on arrival into camp needs to be stopped. This is not like the old days. Even the Championship players are on big money. Think it is around €700 they get on arrival to squad get together. Keep in mind first division champions get €30k. By all means they should be treated well but we are a small country and need to cut our cloth.

As far as I’m aware the “walking around money” you refer to is not €700 each and again as far as I’m aware the players still donate that fee to charities Wink
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 2:16pm
Discussing this on Off the Ball now in reference to Tommy Conlons article today. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:34pm
Anyone watching the mick thing on Virgin ??
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:37pm
Balls! Didn't realize it was on. I assume the Virgin Player app will show it again.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:47pm
Forgot how good the atmosphere was at home v Swiss and Danes 
Big games 
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:19am

Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Hardly McCarthy's fault that those were the terms given to him in his contract. I'd love to see anyone on this forum forgo a million quid...
Wrong, they are the terms he and his agent negotiated to receive

They are the terms the FAI offered and agreed to. They were the ones in control of the situation, not McCarthy. I just don't get people sometimes, in no other line of work would a person be expected to ask for LESS money than they're offered in a negotiation, so why do we apply different standards to football-related jobs?

Exactly, The O'Shea. The amount of people on here that can't understand that is baffling. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 11:33am
Looks like he is off to Apoel Nicosia
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 11:52am
Best of luck to him in Cyprus
He should've got the chance to stay on

Is Robbie joining him?
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 12:01pm
Interesting move. I wonder will he bring a few Irish lads with him.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 24>
  Share Topic