Printed Date: 19 Mar 2024 at 8:47am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mick McCarthy sacked as Cardiff manager
Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Subject: Mick McCarthy sacked as Cardiff manager
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:05pm
Official announcement now released. 

FAI thank Mick McCarthy as Stephen Kenny takes up Ireland job

The Football Association of Ireland announces that Mick McCarthy is to be succeeded as national team manager by Stephen Kenny with immediate effect. The handover has been agreed with both men in light of the delay to the European Championship play-offs caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.

Mick McCarthy’s contract was due to expire on July 31st after the Euro 2020 finals, with Stephen initially scheduled to step up from his Under 21 team role on August 1st. This move allows Stephen Kenny time to plan for the European Championship play-off semi-final against Slovakia later in the year.

Interim FAI C.E.O. Gary Owens said: “This has been a difficult situation for the Association - and for Mick and Stephen in particular - in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic and the effect it has had on the football calendar.

“On behalf of President Gerry McAnaney, the Board of the FAI and myself, I want to thank both men for their professionalism and their understanding in their dealings with the Association in these unprecedented circumstances. These are exceptional times in Irish life and Mick has taken that into account in agreeing to vacate the post early.

“On behalf of the FAI, I wish to express our gratitude to Mick for his service and commitment to our national team throughout his career and particularly in his second spell as Ireland manager. We wish Mick and his staff well and we thank them all for their hard work in this European Championship campaign to date.

“Stephen will now begin his planning for the play-off against Slovakia and everyone at the FAI wishes him well in our bid to qualify for Euro 2020. Football will be back and we have so much to look forward to now in the autumn with the Nations League and the Euro 2020 play-off, followed by the World Cup qualifiers in early 2021.”

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Replies:
Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:06pm
Oh

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: wanderer
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:14pm
Can't see that going down too well with the squad.

I really hope now the playoffs aren't in September, Kenny needs a few friendlies / nations league games. His first game as big as a playoff is madness 

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:15pm
No problem with this, even though I like Mick I don't think he offered us value for money. I really would hope Mick gets a decent job in football and definitely would do a decent job for someone in the championship. Time to look forward to the Stephen Kenny era now with a few posts remaining to be filled like Stephen's backroom team and who gets the u21 gigg. What happens to Robbie Keane with his role now?

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

I really hope now the playoffs aren't in September, Kenny needs a few friendlies / nations league games. His first game as big as a playoff is madness 
Why wouldn’t it go down well with the squad?

Do we even need a manager? We will just draw 1-1 anyway, may as well save the money.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:18pm

All it takes is Stephen to bring in 4 or 5 players to the squad that will be HIS players and the squad won't be long gelling.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:20pm
All he needs now is to find them!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: E2016
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:27pm
Correct decision.  

These playoffs were nothing to do with Mick and his reign will unfortunately be remembered for his approach to the latter games in the group,  especially Georgia away.

I see no way that we would have qualified for the Euros with Mick in charge, and while Kenny might not get us there, I'd rather start the process with Kenny rather than delay for a year.

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Well I'll bet my house that Molumby starts in Slovakia. So there's one. 

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:36pm
Can't see how this could have gone any other way, it was in the contracted terms so there was no way around it. Tough situation for Kenny to come into to, and a disappointing way for Mick to bow it, but it's nevertheless a change in approach that we've been in need of for years now.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: belt
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:36pm
Given the current events and the FAI's already precarious finances, they couldnt justify paying two men for another 12 months. Nothing else would have come in to it

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

He won't even need to start them, just call up Knight, Parrott, Molumby and Idah for argument's sake while it initially might create a clique it will prevent more senior players being disrespectful towards Kenny.

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:41pm
Suspect FAI had little option from a legal point of view given the 1st August is specifically stated in Kenny's contract 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

He won't even need to start them, just call up Knight, Parrott, Molumby and Idah for argument's sake while it initially might create a clique it will prevent more senior players being disrespectful towards Kenny.

I'd imagine Molumby and Connolly would be good shouts to go straight into the team, with the likes of O'Shea, Idah/Parrott/Obafemi, and Knight all coming into the squad.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:43pm
There was no way Mick would have beaten 2 sides away in the playoffs.

Kenny will bring in a much more positive approach and will actually try and win games. Delighted his tenure is over, that campaign was so uninspiring.

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: SeanPeadir
First game in charge - A play-off semi final Pinch

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Contracts were signed with specific dates on them regarding succession. This was always going to be the outcome.
Its a tough way for Mick to finish up but that's the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately. 

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:44pm

Don't see it having much affect on the players sure some of them might not even be in Kenny's plans anyway. 

For once the fai has done the right thing in terms of the future any other action would of cause both more financial strain on the organisation and possibly legal action also seeing as how Kenny's contract as senior manager was to commence August 1st going on media reports

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:47pm
Obafemi, Dara O Shea and Nathan Collins three more who might be pushing for inclusion. There are plenty of youngsters on the periphery who he can bring with him. 

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:49pm

What Confused

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:50pm
Any player who has a problem with this shouldn’t be near the national team. 

The correct decision 

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:52pm

That still doesn’t mean he is going to be good enough. We have potential, but that’s all it currently is. 

I don’t know why anyone is worried about the playoffs being his first game. We had little chance of qualifying and we still have the same chance. We might even have a new manager bounce.

-------------

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:53pm

Cmon PM don’t let Brick keep you in Dylan mode!

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by SeanPeadir SeanPeadir wrote:

He now has months to prepare for this watch footage of Slovakia etc if he wants to. And we don't even know if it definitely will be his first game. Swear way some are reacting to this that was a formality that we would win the playoff with Mick in charge

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:57pm
great news in otherwise bleak times!

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Originally posted by SeanPeadir SeanPeadir wrote:

He now has months to prepare for this watch footage of Slovakia etc if he wants to. And we don't even know if it definitely will be his first game. Swear way some are reacting to this that was a formality that we would win the playoff with Mick in charge
It was a foregone conclusion we would have lost on penalties.

-------------

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:59pm
I think he done a decent enough job anyway brought a bit of fun and positivity to the squad again... Not saying Kenny wouldn't have but I think mick would have had a better reputation with the group when he came in. Kenny has done well with dundalk alright but he's improved his rep with the U21s if he had have gotten the job straight away it may have been a disaster 

Posted By: rebelbrowser
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:05pm
Right decision. A new manager for a new FAI. There were things that annoyed me about Kenny at Dundalk (but admittedly biased as City were their rivals) but has impressed me as u21 manager so far anytime I heard him talk. Clearly the cheaper option but to my mind just as likely as Mick to qualify for Euro 2020/21 (not very) but definitely more promise for better things ahead. Delay to Euros allows us to bring through the golden ish generation at u21 right now also.

As someone said, good news at an otherwise bleak time.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:07pm

That still doesn’t mean he is going to be good enough. We have potential, but that’s all it currently is. 

I don’t know why anyone is worried about the playoffs being his first game. We had little chance of qualifying and we still have the same chance. We might even have a new manager bounce.

Because people would like him to have a couple of games first before a do or die one. Hardly rocket science to work that out. 

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

What Confused

It's more from the point that I'm sure they would have preferred to have started and ended a campaign with the same manager.

I'm not saying Kenny is a bad appointment at all, far from it , but I hope he isn't thrust straight into a playoff, would much rather he has the nations league to put his own stamp on things.

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:10pm
A real shame for Mick. He goes out with his head held high though and well liked by the players and fans.

Very interested to see how Kenny gets on with us and how he negotiates the play offs.

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:11pm
Whos starting the Stephen Kenny out thread LOLLOLLOL

Thanks Mick for all the work sadly wasant to be and best of luck to Kenny starting 

The first squad selection is going to be interesting 

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

What Confused

Edit: double post - mods can delete 

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Because people would like him to have a couple of games first before a do or die one. Hardly rocket science to work that out. 
Very little is, apart from rocket science. Bizarrely. Given that we had no genuine chance of qualifying, I don’t see why it matters. I would give us slightly more of a chance now than I would have this morning, regardless of whether he has a training match against Oman or not.

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:14pm

Dan McDonnell saying the feeling is that the Nations League games will probably be played before the playoffs. Presuming that means the playoffs pushed back to this time next year then

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

A real shame for Mick. He goes out with his head held high though and well liked by the players and fans.

Really? 

The approach to the final 3 games certainly doesn't merit his head being held high. Georgia away in particular is a huge black spot on his reign. 

Most fans were becoming very tired of the rubbish football and continued selection of undroppable underperformers. Considering the amount of money he was on, he cost very much and delivered very little.

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Dan McDonnell saying the feeling is that the Nations League games will probably be played before the playoffs. Presuming that means the playoffs pushed back to this time next year then

That would suit us (and Stephen) down to the ground.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:17pm
Think all the buzz of these euros have died anyway, I seem to have no appetite for the play offs, looking forward to Bulgaria now.

-------------

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:30pm
Always liked MM and always will. Glad he got a second crack st the whip. But this is the right decision. Contracts could have been re-negotiated with agreement across the board for him to remain on Until the play offs, at least. 

The tenure was underwhelming, and I can’t actually pick out too many high points. The equalisers against the Danes and Swiss were nice, but still part of our long-standing efforts for draws. We did the minimum against Gibraltar, and almost got minimum return (with anything less probably being a sackable offence). Georgia at home was enjoyable, away was abysmal. We had two chances to qualify and failed to take either one.

We’re in the play offs thanks to the system as opposed to achievement on the pitch, so I don’t think many entitlements could accrue from that, not is it qualification for the play offs inn the normal way

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:33pm
Right call from the FAI.

For those saying Kenny shouldn't be thrown in at the deep end, I personally dont think it really matters if we qualify for Euro 20/21 at this stage.

Great if we do, if not then Kenny has started building his team for the World Cup which takes place just a year later. 

The format, along with Covid-19 has ensured that whenever the next Euros are held, or wherever for that matter, it's going to be overshadowed by a World Cup happening just a year later.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

That would be ideal, nations league would be perfect for him to get his own ideas across and it's a group that we could do well in 

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:36pm
I think we have as much chance qualifying with Kenny as we did Mick.

Ireland really need a fresh start and a new approach.

Out with the old and in with the new, whether Kenny is successful or not (dear God let him be successful) we really needed this to happen.

Posted By: Jimmy Raggatip
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:38pm
great news, we might qualify now!

Mick is sadly finished at the top level, same as MON was. No shame in it. He was a good servant, but this last 12-18 months has been a bag of sh*t. 

Posted By: johnvonp
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

great news, we might qualify now!

Mick is sadly finished at the top level, same as MON was. No shame in it. He was a good servant, but this last 12-18 months has been a bag of sh*t. 

When was he at the top level? 

Posted By: ripbomb
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:45pm
Thanks Mick... some great memories fron your two stints as manager. A gentleman to the end. Left without a fuss

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Thanks Mick... some great memories fron your two stints as manager. A gentleman to the end. Left without a fuss
This isn’t to knock Mick at all, but what memories is there from the second stint? Did I miss a few games?

-------------

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:53pm
I really like Mick but he was an 'avoid relegation from the championship, good league 1' level manager when he was appointed ireland manager for the second time.

He was much needed post o'Neil but overpaid for his ability. If you measure this decision to bring in Kenny now as part of a risk analysis you would see that we probably still have the same odds on qualifying.

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Right call from the FAI.

For those saying Kenny shouldn't be thrown in at the deep end, I personally dont think it really matters if we qualify for Euro 20/21 at this stage.

Great if we do, if not then Kenny has started building his team for the World Cup which takes place just a year later. 

The format, along with Covid-19 has ensured that whenever the next Euros are held, or wherever for that matter, it's going to be overshadowed by a World Cup happening just a year later.

Have to agree with this. I had written us off getting through last months playoffs given our form and game plan.

Fair play to Mick for not kicking up - hopefully he enjoys his €1.1m payoff.

Decisive and correct decision by the new FAI. Good signs.

Good news for FAI staff - keeping Mick on on a million quid a year would have given the wrong message when their jobs were on the line up to 2 months ago - to the taxpayer also.

I see a long rebuilding phase ahead and great to get that going with immediate effect.

Posted By: belt
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:23pm
Does Mick not kicking up a fuss not demonstrate he wasn't overly bothered once he got the bag of cash??

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Does Mick not kicking up a fuss not demonstrate he wasn't overly bothered once he got the bag of cash??

Can't win, can he? 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:32pm

It doesn't mean he's not good enough either, which seems to be your default position on every player. It's Kenny's job to make these calls, and unlike most of our recent managers he will have the bravery to make decisions on players based on their skill rather than their age and how many squads they've been picked for previously (ie less relevant factors which for some reason the likes of Trap and O'Neill were obsessed with).

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:34pm
How many jobs will be saved by this decision. All of those who called for mick to stay on should think of that.   This means people will have a job in a years or two years time that wouldnt already have.  

Correct decision from a financial, legal and footballing point of view.  

Thanks mick for your first campaign but nothing was added in the second campaign.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:35pm

Can't win, can he? 
Exactly another typical football manager who only cares about the big bag of cash.

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Think all the buzz of these euros have died anyway, I seem to have no appetite for the play offs, looking forward to Bulgaria now.
2 home games and 1 in Bilbao was there ever any buzz for this Euros? 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:37pm
a poor campaign by mick effectively 1 win.
He was hampered by the quality of player available to him.
Stubborn in his selection how he didn’t include Shane long in one squad was a case in point 

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

It doesn't mean he's not good enough either, which seems to be your default position on every player. It's Kenny's job to make these calls, and unlike most of our recent managers he will have the bravery to make decisions on players based on their skill rather than their age and how many squads they've been picked for previously (ie less relevant factors which for some reason the likes of Trap and O'Neill were obsessed with).
Until they prove otherwise, potential is just that. We have a tendency to blow players out of proportion early on in hope rather than expectation. 
My default position is one of reality, not baseless expectation. If Ireland player was as good as you made them out to be we would be world champions.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Stubborn in his selection how he didn’t include Shane long in one squad was a case in point 
Was that not down to Robbie? Or is that nonsense?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

How many jobs will be saved by this decision. All of those who called for mick to stay on should think of that.   This means people will have a job in a years or two years time that wouldnt already have.  

Correct decision from a financial, legal and footballing point of view.  

Thanks mick for your first campaign but nothing was added in the second campaign.  

Just on the financial point it was mentioned at the end of the rte report this evening that if we qualify for euro 2021, mick could be entitled to a bonus alongside his €1.1m for leaving now 

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:46pm

You would have to hope nonsense and if it was true neither Mick or Robbie should have been in their jobs

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:51pm

You would have to hope nonsense and if it was true neither Mick or Robbie should have been in their jobs
I’m not sure Robbie should have ever been given a position. Sentiment shouldn’t be a factor and he never struck me as the type suited to coaching. Then again, neither did Duff and he seems highly regarded.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Can't win, can he? 
Exactly another typical football manager who only cares about the big bag of cash.

I'm not getting this. Would you prefer if he started kicking up a stink about this? Because if he had plenty would be getting stuck into him about how selfish he was being.

He leaves with dignity and without a fuss and people are calling him a money grabber for his contract being paid. Utterly bizarre stuff. 

-------------

Posted By: Howdo
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 7:11pm
Delighted

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 7:28pm
Pleased with this - properly timed and well communicated by the FAI - imagine the garbled nonsense we’d have to put up with the JD regime if they still ran the show.

A bit of sadness as the campaign didn’t work out for Mick, various reasons, him being past his before date being the main one. Always a very decent man so some of the bitter stuff towards him in this thread is disappointing to read.

Hopefully the nations league games will be played in the autumn and before the playoffs so SK can get some games in before Slovakia.

Posted By: bundy
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 7:29pm

Right call from the FAI.

They’ll either push the World Cup out by one year and play it in odd years going forward, in order to keep the two year gap between the two tournaments. Or they’ll have another Euros in 2024 as planned with just a three year gap between European Championships. No way can they just continue on as normal after next year and have nothing for three years and then a Euros and World Cup one after another.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Right call from the FAI.

They’ll either push the World Cup out by one year and play it in odd years going forward, in order to keep the two year gap between the two tournaments. Or they’ll have another Euros in 2024 as planned with just a three year gap between European Championships. No way can they just continue on as normal after next year and have nothing for three years and then a Euros and World Cup one after another.

No they won't. Even with the Euros in 2021 there's a still the guts of a year and a half till the next World Cup. 

-------------

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:02pm

Can't win, can he? 

haha was thinking the same. 

Has he definitely got that pay off? 

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:04pm
Second time Mick has been prematurely forced out of the job by a virus that broke out in Asia.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: footballman
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:09pm
A campaign which was about par really. Switzerland and Denmark are both far better teams than us (both made the knockouts of the last WC) and we really should have beat Denmark in Dublin. We were really good in that game 

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:23pm

Can't win, can he? 

Embarrassed

I don't begrudge one cent of what Mick earned as our national team manager. He's been an great servant both as a player and manager for us. He certainly doesn't deserve to be portrayed as some sort of mercenary. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: bundy
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:27pm

Right call from the FAI.

No they won't. Even with the Euros in 2021 there's a still the guts of a year and a half till the next World Cup. 

Not the next World Cup. I meant they won’t have a Euros in 2025 and a World Cup in 2026. They’ll push the World Cup out or bring the Euros back a year.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Pleased with this - properly timed and well communicated by the FAI - imagine the garbled nonsense we’d have to put up with the JD regime if they still ran the show.

A bit of sadness as the campaign didn’t work out for Mick, various reasons, him being past his before date being the main one. Always a very decent man so some of the bitter stuff towards him in this thread is disappointing to read.

Hopefully the nations league games will be played in the autumn and before the playoffs so SK can get some games in before Slovakia.

Spot on. There are far more deserving candidates for us to bitter about when it comes to the national team and Mick shouldn't be one of them. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:31pm

What Robbie got to do with it? Whats that story about?

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:39pm

Right call from the FAI.

Not the next World Cup. I meant they won’t have a Euros in 2025 and a World Cup in 2026. They’ll push the World Cup out or bring the Euros back a year.

The euros will be in 2024, plenty time to change the schedule between now and then. Just because euro 2020 was put back to 2021 doesnt mean every other euros after will be changed a year.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

What Robbie got to do with it? Whats that story about?
It has been alluded to, both on here and elsewhere, that Robbie doesn’t like Long and that’s why he has been left out. 
I must add that it seems unlikely to be that trivial, but I am curious all the same.

-------------

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:50pm
Ive never heard that but it does sound bull. Even if it was true i doubt Mick would leave him out just for Robbie. Hes not the type.

Posted By: xRedmanLFCx
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:00pm

1 loss in 10 games? Not a poor campaign. 

-------------
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON

Posted By: xRedmanLFCx
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:02pm
Disappointed the decision is made so early and the FAI didn't wait to see which game is played first (Euro 2020 playoff or Nations League). Mick deserved to manage the team in the play off, and take us to Euro 2020 if we got there. 

-------------
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Ive never heard that but it does sound bull. Even if it was true i doubt Mick would leave him out just for Robbie. Hes not the type.
Mick is usually the type to do the opposite of what he is told, so it does seem unlikely. Still, it is such a strange rumour that their must be something in it.
I’m hardly Long’s biggest fan, but it isn’t as if we have loads of options! He should still have been in the squad.

-------------

Posted By: Deco
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:19pm
Would of kept Mick in charge of the seniors and Kenny in charge of the under 21's with both in contention of qualifying, but hey the decision has been made I wish Mick McCarthy the best of luck in what he does in future and fully back Stephen Kenny for the coming months (and hopefully years).

-------------
Let the Games begin ...

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

1 loss for in 10 games but more importantly effectively 1 and to make it worse we looked like winning no game either 

It was poor we were never positive even when results fell our way and had we shown any bit of bottle we could have qualified.
We scored 7 goals 3 against Gibraltar.
So 4 goals in 6 games absolute thrash.

I can’t see it any other way than poor

Posted By: eboue16
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:30pm

Disappointed the decision is made so early and the FAI didn't wait to see which game is played first (Euro 2020 playoff or Nations League). Mick deserved to manage the team in the play off, and take us to Euro 2020 if we got there. 

Why?
He missed automatic qualification and its only through O Neills last crap Nation's League campaign that we have a backdoor attempt at all, such is the daftness of the competition 

-------------
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:48pm

I’m not sure Robbie should have ever been given a position. Sentiment shouldn’t be a factor and he never struck me as the type suited to coaching. Then again, neither did Duff and he seems highly regarded.

The big difference is that Duff has been serving an "apprenticeship" since he stepped into coaching, moving up the ladder year on year and gaining more experience in the process, whereas Robbie was handed the Ireland/Boro assistant managers gigs with zero meaningful coaching experience behind him.

It's no surprise to see Boro struggling really, Steve Gibson putting a manager and assistant in charge with no experience (what could have gone wrong)

I think Duff eventually could take over as Ireland manager, it will be interesting to see how long he will stay in the background at Celtic (he definitely needs to for another year or two anyway) before he becomes a manager somewhere.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 1:25am
Financial decision, but lets face it, it isn't as if Mick left the FAI with much of a choice. Had we already qualified, he would be staying, they would likely have found a way.  Had we out performed Switzerland or Denmark, or both, and got robbed by a Henry-type Ref's terrible decision, there would have been an argument to keep him. 

He was brought in to steady the ship, did that, went on to keep us in the hunt until the end, and when that end came, he ran out of ideas. Well, he did have one idea V our strongest opposition away from home, but that was probably a game for a conservative approach (while going all out V Georgia) and in any case, he made a botch of it. Very decent man and likeable individual, but nothing I've seen in his 2nd tenure made me think we could win 2 games away from home in 5/6 days. 

That doesn't mean Kenny will win them, or we'll automatically play better, but hopefully in the longer run, its a decision that will be positive for us. 

Well, actually, it wasn't a decision really, can ya imagine Barrett, Quinn, McAneaney etc heading off to the new Sports Minister in a few months time and trying to explain why they renewed an expensive contract for their highest paid employee in the middle of a pandemic ? ? Delaney would have no doubt tried to bluff that one, as he is tone deaf to reality, but these new FAI are somewhat connected to it, as, to be fair, I'd imagine Mick is too. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: Linzark
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:33am

Can't win, can he? 

I'm not getting this. Would you prefer if he started kicking up a stink about this? Because if he had plenty would be getting stuck into him about how selfish he was being.

He leaves with dignity and without a fuss and people are calling him a money grabber for his contract being paid. Utterly bizarre stuff. 

I must agree with you there Drumcondra 69er

-------------
Linzark

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:34am

1 loss for in 10 games but more importantly effectively 1 and to make it worse we looked like winning no game either 

It was poor we were never positive even when results fell our way and had we shown any bit of bottle we could have qualified.
We scored 7 goals 3 against Gibraltar.
So 4 goals in 6 games absolute thrash.

I can’t see it any other way than poor

We played 8 games

-------------
Linzark

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:35am

1 loss in 8 games

-------------
Linzark

Posted By: brissy
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 3:41am
He done well with a very average team, he learned of jack, but jack had some class players

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 8:07am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Financial decision, but lets face it, it isn't as if Mick left the FAI with much of a choice. Had we already qualified, he would be staying, they would likely have found a way.  Had we out performed Switzerland or Denmark, or both, and got robbed by a Henry-type Ref's terrible decision, there would have been an argument to keep him. 

He was brought in to steady the ship, did that, went on to keep us in the hunt until the end, and when that end came, he ran out of ideas. Well, he did have one idea V our strongest opposition away from home, but that was probably a game for a conservative approach (while going all out V Georgia) and in any case, he made a botch of it. Very decent man and likeable individual, but nothing I've seen in his 2nd tenure made me think we could win 2 games away from home in 5/6 days. 
Hi I pop
That doesn't mean Kenny will win them, or we'll automatically play better, but hopefully in the longer run, its a decision that will be positive for us. 

Agree with all of this.
Mick was given a fair chance but he didn’t surpass expectations.

Time to move on - like everyone else let’s hope Kenny is successful.

The problem is it’s going to be difficult to qualify for this Euro and the next World Cup. Let’s hope he is given time to improve the way we play. 

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 8:46am
It's the right decision for everyone tbh. Mick leaves with his dignity intact, his reputation probably enhanced (although I'd see it as neither harmed nor enhanced), increasing the likelihood of securing another shot at club management.

The FAI were aided by how the situation with the Denmark job played out a few days before this.

Any player who's not on board with the new management can be discarded fairly easily. None of them are indispensable.

I'd hope that Kenny gets a chance to manage the team for NL games before the play-off. Having a semi-final as your first game in charge without having had a lot of time with the team is far from ideal. Patience from everyone involved, including supporters, is going to be key.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Given's zimmerframe
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:23am
Happy with this overall, Kenny will have less pressure than Kerr as expectations are lower these days. 

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:30am
I was fairly happy when Mick was appointed and although the campaign was underwhelming the toxicity that was there under MON is gone now. We are a fairly dull and unimaginative team but hopefully now with Kenny we can push on a little and try to be more creative and positive. Certainly Kenny will look to win games rather than draw 1-1. I think Mick can leave with a thanks from the fans as someone who steadied the ship. At the end of the day he  took it to the last few minutes in the group. We just couldn't find a winner. But onwards now with Kenny in charge and hopefully some new blood injected into the team as well.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:31am
Think the pressure will be higher than when Brian Kerr was appointed. Certainly the task he faces is much more difficult.
Kerr was under pressure to rescue the qualification campaign for Euro 2004 by getting results against Georgia and Albania, plus had a friendly against Scotland to ease his way in and work with the players.
Kenny has to win a one off game against Slovakia, away from home, and then (hopefully) another one off game, away from home, against either Northern Ireland or Bosnia, with a much worse squad than Kerr had to work with.

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:45am
Does he? I don’t think any fans expected us to qualify under Mick. If he didn’t think he could beat Georgia away he must have had no hope in Slovakia. Playing for penalties, and I would give us little hope of winning on them if we got that far, was ok for McCarthy but isn’t for Kenny?
It feels more like a free shot. Of course, if Kenny’s team were to get battered he might not recover as the knives would be out early, but that’s it.

-------------

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 11:18am
disgraceful pay off figures. McCarthy should do the decent thing and refuse them. Like taking money from a charity case with voluntary workers

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 11:25am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Think the pressure will be higher than when Brian Kerr was appointed. Certainly the task he faces is much more difficult.
Kerr was under pressure to rescue the qualification campaign for Euro 2004 by getting results against Georgia and Albania, plus had a friendly against Scotland to ease his way in and work with the players.
Kenny has to win a one off game against Slovakia, away from home, and then (hopefully) another one off game, away from home, against either Northern Ireland or Bosnia, with a much worse squad than Kerr had to work with.

Why does he have to win itConfused

Slovakia were favourites last month and they will be so whenever the game takes place

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 11:47am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Kerr had a much better quality of squad to work with and they are not really comparable situations. I don't think anybody expects us to qualify for the Euros with the way we have to do it, but a lot of supporters might be more optimistic about our chances. As mentioned already, its a free shot for Kenny and a good performance against Slovakia regardless of the result would be a positive 

Posted By: Augustus Gloop
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 11:56am
Bringing in David Mcgoldrick was Micks best decision as Ireland boss, as he's been player of the campaign. Other positives included improving the style of play and improving a team that had run out of ideas under O'Neill.

Some of the negatives include not finding a place in the team for Matt Doherty. Overcautious approach in games we would hope to win. 

But overall he was a success no doubt. He improved on what he inherited. He improved our morale and style of play. He brought some fresh faces into the squad who have all contributed  - Callum Robinson, McGoldrick, Egan, Stevens..... and Kenny will inherit a solid foundation to build from. 

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 1:28pm
Crawford & John O'Shea confirmed as U21 manager and assistant, Duff coming on board with Kenny & Andrews, Alan Kelly staying as GK senior coach. 

Pipkin made a point here or elsewhere about McCarthy's contract reeking of the 'old FAI' and it certainly did, right down to the 'exit payment' and bonus for qualification. One of those 2 things surely wasn't required, I think most fans would agree the qualification bonus should have been enough of an incentive. 

The other one that reeked of old FAI, possibly even more so, is paying Robbie Keane a quarter of a million a year to put on maybe 20 coaching sessions, maybe 30 at most, for a few hours at a time during international games, and then maybe go watch a few other games involving Irish players when Middlesbrough weren't playing. A quarter of a fcuking million. Pare that down to hours worked for the FAI and he could very well be more expensive than McCarthy per hour. 

I think a good bit of the reason we are paying vastly inflated salaries is because of JD's personal ambition to be seen as a 'football insider' and general big shot.  All these lads agents, who tend to be sharp operators when it comes to all things financial, probably recognised Delaney as a spoofer straight away and played on his desire to be seen as one of the 'big men' in football by asking for ridiculous money for their clients. Delaney, not wanting to be seen as a penny pincher or small time operator,  probably agreed all these contracts with very little fuss.

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Crawford & John O'Shea confirmed as U21 manager and assistant, Duff coming on board with Kenny & Andrews, Alan Kelly staying as GK senior coach. 

Pipkin made a point here or elsewhere about McCarthy's contract reeking of the 'old FAI' and it certainly did, right down to the 'exit payment' and bonus for qualification. One of those 2 things surely wasn't required, I think most fans would agree the qualification bonus should have been enough of an incentive. 

The other one that reeked of old FAI, possibly even more so, is paying Robbie Keane a quarter of a million a year to put on maybe 20 coaching sessions, maybe 30 at most, for a few hours at a time during international games, and then maybe go watch a few other games involving Irish players when Middlesbrough weren't playing. A quarter of a fcuking million. Pare that down to hours worked for the FAI and he could very well be more expensive than McCarthy per hour. 

I think a good bit of the reason we are paying vastly inflated salaries is because of JD's personal ambition to be seen as a 'football insider' and general big shot.  All these lads agents, who tend to be sharp operators when it comes to all things financial, probably recognised Delaney as a spoofer straight away and played on his desire to be seen as one of the 'big men' in football by asking for ridiculous money for their clients. Delaney, not wanting to be seen as a penny pincher or small time operator,  probably agreed all these contracts with very little fuss.

Exit bonus was clearly negotiated to replace the original second campaign that was mooted before the succession idea came to the fore. 

Talk now the qualification bonus will be shared with Kenny if that's achieved. 

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Augustus Gloop Augustus Gloop wrote:

Bringing in David Mcgoldrick was Micks best decision as Ireland boss, as he's been player of the campaign. Other positives included improving the style of play and improving a team that had run out of ideas under O'Neill.

Some of the negatives include not finding a place in the team for Matt Doherty. Overcautious approach in games we would hope to win. 

But overall he was a success no doubt. He improved on what he inherited. He improved our morale and style of play. He brought some fresh faces into the squad who have all contributed  - Callum Robinson, McGoldrick, Egan, Stevens..... and Kenny will inherit a solid foundation to build from. 
I would love to know your definition of success.
In fairness he brought in McGoldrick but at the same time left out a much more experienced option in Long.

All the other 3 were in around the squad and Egan only got into the team when keogh got injured

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net