You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gardening thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Mush Cassidys Donkey Mush Cassidys Donkey wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Anyone have any experience with apple trees? I have a small patch that I could plant a couple of small trees. I'd like a Bramley Apple tree but apparently you need two other varieties or it won't pollinate. Anyone have any advice?

yeah, planted 8 last year, Fella in garden nursery said the same, gave him the site layout drawing and  he gave me different apple tree types along with a pear tree and a hazelnut tree and where to plant them. hopefully get something this year. currently pink flowering at the moment. 

Hopefully you see some fruit this summer. I'm heading to a nursery this evening looking for some advice as well, but I'd be fairly limited for space. Love Bramley apples so wouldn't mind a nice yearly supply!
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 12:53pm
Parts of garden bumpy and bald do I laid a bit of patch seed. 
Raked area roughly first to break up the muck but no growth in 10 days. 

Should I have dug a few inches and added top soil before seeding?
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

No , # 2 Lawn seed , it will come don't worry about just needs a bit of sunshine Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

No , # 2 Lawn seed , it will come don't worry about just needs a bit of sunshine Thumbs Up

Just keep watering so?
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 3:29pm
I reseeded the front lawn late last summer and it took ages to come on too with the weather. 

Anyone got advice for getting rid of coarse grass on the lawn? Been trying to aerate the soil a bit and seeding it too but not getting anywhere with it. This stuff grows about 4 times the speed of the rest of the lawn so I need up with tufts between cuts 
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 3:58pm
Didn't realise we had this thread - must read back thru for tips. Same boat as Mayo Mark - need to get trees planted.

Waiting on a mobot to be installed for the back lawn. Lazy f**ker that I am. 

Front lawn is also in sh*te from moss so need to buy a scarifier - anyone got any recommendations? 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 4:17pm
Spent an hour or so pulling ivy off the back wall. Had grown mad over the past year nearly covering the oil tank. Would love to know how to get rid of it for good but not sure if started on our side (before we bought the house) or on the neighbours!
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 8:02pm
Got a nice bit of advice on the apple trees so picking up 3 varieties this weekend. Only a small.patch so going to go around 7ft apart in a triangle and hope for the best Clap
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Spent an hour or so pulling ivy off the back wall. Had grown mad over the past year nearly covering the oil tank. Would love to know how to get rid of it for good but not sure if started on our side (before we bought the house) or on the neighbours!

Is Ivy his nickname 
AKA pedantic kunt
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Is Ivy his nickname 
Big smile
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2024 at 6:19am
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

Didn't realise we had this thread - must read back thru for tips. Same boat as Mayo Mark - need to get trees planted.

Front lawn is also in sh*te from moss so need to buy a scarifier - anyone got any recommendations? 

Moss is a killer and nothing much you can do with it , yep use a scarifier you will get a huge amount out of your garden for sure . Try weed and feed which kills the moss and helps your grass now it turn everything brown but what can you do , here in the west we are fecked it moss . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 9:34pm
Tried the No mow May thing for last couple of years. Amazing the amount of stuff popping up. Have a orchid that only comes out in April May that butterflies lay eggs on, white clover, daisies, dandolines and other stuff. 

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 04 May 2024 at 9:37pm
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 9:47pm
Yep same here. The front garden has some variety of stuff in it now. I just mow the edged and let the rest go

Lots of gardens in the estate doing it this year and it looks class. Great for the birds and bees 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

Same problem with the moss. Product called Mo Bacter gets good reviews I’m going to try. Basically a feed but no need to scarify and doesn’t leave the garden black. Takes a bit longer to work though.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 9:51pm
No perfect fix for moss. Mo bacter is grand but no harm scarifying as well. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 10:02pm
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 10:44am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2024/0430/1446592-no-mow-may-pollinators-nature-bees-butterflies/
A bit off topic but I was reading up on bees mainly on pollination and how they contribute to the economy of countries etc and then went down a rabbit hole of bee hives and the structure and hierarchy of the hive. Fascinating stuff! 
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic