You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - football related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 38>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 4:36pm
Bob Arum on his Boxing shows has had the fighters close friends and family shown in the background via zoom app.

It was beyond weird.
Sponsored Links

tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 5:33pm
That was probably the amount of viewers who tuned in to watch the fights too
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

That was probably the amount of viewers who tuned in to watch the fights too

LOL

Wasn't far off it! Tuesday night shows averaged around 20k peak USA time 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:25pm
Have to say after a slow start i enjoyed the football recently since lockdown, especially with not much else on 

Was good they finished out the season albeit in empty stadiums 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 26 Jul 2020 at 8:25pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Have to say after a slow start i enjoyed the football recently since lockdown, especially with not much else on 

Very enjoyable alright. 

LOI now on different days & KO times will occupy me now for the next few months 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 9:18pm
Am I right in thinking Villa would have gone down if they had done a points per game to finish the season instead of playing it out like they did
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Very enjoyable alright. 

Have enjoyed it a lot more than expected. Watched f**k all epl the last couple of seasons but watched a hell of a lot since it came back. The real football starts Friday though. Can't wait!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 1:50pm
With the Coronavirus, is this the end of 3pm KO on sat?

Surely it makes more sense to target the TV audiences now. 
Get more/all games on TV. Maximise revenues this way considering it’s unlikely we will see full stadiums next season. 

Also surprised we haven’t seen more Advertising on top of the seats yet.

More late games on Friday/Sat and Sunday.

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Very enjoyable alright. 

On Friday

WatchLOL have :-

17.45 ko Derry v Sligo

19.45 ko Dundalk v St Pats

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 2:14pm
I think it has proved more than ever that football without fans is nothing.
No chance 3pm kick offs go. 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I’d say it’s the opposite. League completed without fans. You get used to it very quickly.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I’d say it’s the opposite. League completed without fans. You get used to it very quickly.

Just out of interest, how many games a season in the UK would you attend yourself?
It's not a loaded question at all by the way - If the answer is zero that's fine. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 3:05pm

The EPL is a different beast to most other leagues.
You got used to it very quickly. 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 12:06am

Just out of interest, how many games a season in the UK would you attend yourself?
It's not a loaded question at all by the way - If the answer is zero that's fine. 
I haven’t been to an EPL game since 2008 I think. Chelsea v Bolton on the final day of the season. 

I’d go to 1 La Liga game per season, was at 2 this season though. Just LOI and Ireland games usually.

As You Were
Three in a row
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 9:09am

I haven’t been to an EPL game since 2008 I think. Chelsea v Bolton on the final day of the season. 

I’d go to 1 La Liga game per season, was at 2 this season though. Just LOI and Ireland games usually.

OK. So the perception of somebody who solely watches games on TV will differ greatly from people who go all the time. The likes of a 5.30pm game might suit people having a pint in the pub but the "awkward" times are really unpopular with fans - The 12.30pm start on a Saturday makes for a terrible atmosphere. And there are games now scheduled for times where fans can't travel back afterwards on public transport. 
Now, at the moment there is no option but to continue without crowds but under normal circumstances games without crowds and atmosphere are not attractive to TV companies and they won't pay big bucks for them. They day isn't too far off where crowds will be dropping off and the Premier League will have a big decision to make. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 10:51am
I attend matches in Ireland regularly. I rarely visit England these days. I’d say the kick off times here are a lot worse for fans than in England.

I think that the lack of fans has barely been noticed. The league went ahead with no problems. If EPL teams can get more money form TV deals than from ticket sales, they’ll stagger kick off times. I don’t think any of the owners give a flying f**k whether things are convenient for the fan or not.

As You Were
Three in a row
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 10:57am

I attend matches in Ireland regularly. I rarely visit England these days. I’d say the kick off times here are a lot worse for fans than in England.

I think that the lack of fans has barely been noticed. The league went ahead with no problems. If EPL teams can get more money form TV deals than from ticket sales, they’ll stagger kick off times. I don’t think any of the owners give a flying f**k whether things are convenient for the fan or not.
No fans devalues the product in the case of the Premier League. And foreign TV companies will not pay big bucks for a devalued product. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:09am

OK. So the perception of somebody who solely watches games on TV will differ greatly from people who go all the time. The likes of a 5.30pm game might suit people having a pint in the pub but the "awkward" times are really unpopular with fans - The 12.30pm start on a Saturday makes for a terrible atmosphere. And there are games now scheduled for times where fans can't travel back afterwards on public transport. 
Now, at the moment there is no option but to continue without crowds but under normal circumstances games without crowds and atmosphere are not attractive to TV companies and they won't pay big bucks for them. They day isn't too far off where crowds will be dropping off and the Premier League will have a big decision to make. 

I really don’t think it makes a huge difference if fans are there or not for TV companies. The EPL product will always attract a big fee. The lads abroad want to see their favourite footballer / team.
The main problem for TV companies is streaming for free. 

And the top EPL teams want the corporate / tourist fans. Spurs get fans from South Korea flying in to see Son and spending a few hundred each in the shop every time.
They would prefer that to local Johnny going to 19 home games but spending very little inside.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 38>
  Share Topic