Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - football related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 38>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I dunno how anyone can “love” a premier league side, they’re just businesses these days. The club aspect of the large majority is long  gone. I still enjoy watching it mind 

They have always been businesses. Even those not at the highest level.

On the subject. there has been and will be an increase in cases when restrictions are lifted, but we can't go on like this. It's only when the health services are overwhelmed, that it becomes an issue. Eventually restrictions have to be lifted, and society must begin to function again. The Euros were postponed for one reason. To allow current leagues to finish. So let them finish.

If anything has to be cancelled, the Nations League is the sitting duck. Not because of the virus itself, but because it hasn't started yet and there's a lack of room in the calendar to accommodate it. You just can't play the Euros the playoffs the WCQ all the club competitions, and the NL in the space of one year. The NL was to carry WCQ playoff spots, but they don't have to now as the WC draw hasnt even happened yet, let alone the qualifiers. So the qualification criteria can be modified. One NL group comprises entirely of Gibraltar Liechtenstein and San Marino. How many people are going to miss the bankers and bus drivers group? Something has to give somewhere, and the NL is the least inconvenient to the world game. The biggest countries will all qualify for the WC anyway. 
Sponsored Links

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 12:21pm
German Chancellor Angela Merkel set to announce when sport can resume in Germany later today.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I dunno how anyone can “love” a premier league side, they’re just businesses these days. The club aspect of the large majority is long  gone. I still enjoy watching it mind 

They have always been businesses. Even those not at the highest level.

On the subject. there has been and will be an increase in cases when restrictions are lifted, but we can't go on like this. It's only when the health services are overwhelmed, that it becomes an issue. Eventually restrictions have to be lifted, and society must begin to function again. The Euros were postponed for one reason. To allow current leagues to finish. So let them finish.

If anything has to be cancelled, the Nations League is the sitting duck. Not because of the virus itself, but because it hasn't started yet and there's a lack of room in the calendar to accommodate it. You just can't play the Euros the playoffs the WCQ all the club competitions, and the NL in the space of one year. The NL was to carry WCQ playoff spots, but they don't have to now as the WC draw hasnt even happened yet, let alone the qualifiers. So the qualification criteria can be modified. One NL group comprises entirely of Gibraltar Liechtenstein and San Marino. How many people are going to miss the bankers and bus drivers group? Something has to give somewhere, and the NL is the least inconvenient to the world game. The biggest countries will all qualify for the WC anyway. 

UEFA have sold/are selling  the rights to the guts of 200 games  - they will want to forgo this revenue  and while I anticipate at least the first batch of matches to be rescheduled  and possibly the second I expect they will go ahead at some stage
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 1:49pm
They will want it to go ahead, of course, but clubs/franchises make the revenue and call the shots. They will, essentially,  decide what's played and when, with the aid of their television controllers. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 9:35pm
Bundesliga back next Friday 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Actually back on the Saturday.
Also a Monday night game
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

[DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]Actually back on the Saturday.[/DIV][DIV]Also a Monday night game[/DIV]

Germans not work the Sabbath?
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

Actually back on the Saturday.
Also a Monday night game

Germans not work the Sabbath?

The Red Bastards are playing on that day so scrubbed off most calendars 
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 12:55am
Dortmund-Schalke Revierderby on the first Saturday back.
Toilets in the away section will stay intact for a change.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 10:12am
Maybe its just me, but I genuinely could not give a toss about the Bundesliga coming back. People carrying on as if they've been starved of oxygen, picking out their new "German Team". Load of sh*te.
That league should not be coming back. Given that within the last 7 days at least 3 or 4 people involved with teams have tested positive for Covid 19. Behind closed doors or not its madness.

I had a buddy text me then this morning. "League One and League Two are being abandoned. What a disaster!" I'd love to know what he'd refer to the last 2 months as if that constitutes a disaster!
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 10:28am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Maybe its just me, but I genuinely could not give a toss about the Bundesliga coming back. People carrying on as if they've been starved of oxygen, picking out their new "German Team". Load of sh*te.
That league should not be coming back. Given that within the last 7 days at least 3 or 4 people involved with teams have tested positive for Covid 19. Behind closed doors or not its madness.

I had a buddy text me then this morning. "League One and League Two are being abandoned. What a disaster!" I'd love to know what he'd refer to the last 2 months as if that constitutes a disaster!
If he is a fan of a team in either division, then it could well be a disaster. That doesn't mean it isn't the right thing to do, but the constant bleating, especially in sports, regarding the disaster outside is just We are well aware we are in the midst of a disaster and it is patronising to assume that he finds a disaster in football and a disaster in the health service as equal.

Anybody with an interest in football outside the global league here will be worried about the future. Hopefully clubs pull through and learn to budget more sensibly, but the impact of all the money in the game going to the top, and leagues and associations not caring, had already impacted the game. Bury died. Bolton just pulled through. Macclesfield are unlikely to start next season, if there is one. Southend and Oldham were in trouble before this. Local to me, Cambridge United had given full control to a man with a travel business. People care about these clubs and to lose them would be a disaster, not a disaster comparable with thousands of people dying, but a disaster nonetheless. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 11:13am

Out of interest which leagues have you an interest in -if any - returning?
Mine are LOI. 3BL and Championship

I'm not ignoring your point as to whether football should be returning yet - I cannot make my mind up. When it was first muted some weeks back I thought there was no chance here. Now however if they have convinced Angie that they have planned for a safe return then they must have it organised.

She has made it clear with any of the relaxations of the restrictions (not just football) , if things turn bad she will reintroduce restrictions
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 11:23am

Out of interest which leagues have you an interest in -if any - returning?
Mine are LOI. 3BL and Championship

I'm not ignoring your point as to whether football should be returning yet - I cannot make my mind up. When it was first muted some weeks back I thought there was no chance here. Now however if they have convinced Angie that they have planned for a safe return then they must have it organised.

She has made it clear with any of the relaxations of the restrictions (not just football) , if things turn bad she will reintroduce restrictions
As much as I love football. I honestly don't think we should be bringing any football back at the moment. Now granted the Bundesliga, if any country and any league can implement a return with the strictness needed its them but I just pray they have't gone early on it.

The British government suggested bringing football back last week "to lift the nations spirits" not because it was safe or that they'd introduced protocols to ensure everyone involved are fit and healthy.
No matter what way you look at it. That is not the correct thing to do. You're suggesting bringing something back for the sake of it. Without appropriate planning and restrictions.

I don't think we're in any position to return over here either. The facilities for proper protocols and social distancing just is not there. If it were a fully professional league maybe so but as long as its semi-pro/amateur I don't think its correct.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 11:24am
Social distancing isn't possible at football, especially at lower levels and they are the ones who need crowds most.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 6:30pm

As much as I love football. I honestly don't think we should be bringing any football back at the moment. Now granted the Bundesliga, if any country and any league can implement a return with the strictness needed its them but I just pray they have't gone early on it.

Has Macron been on the blower to you, like he has with every other government in Europe, ordering them to shut sport down until September? Merkel told him it's none of his business. Which it isn't. There will be more cases, but at a manageable rate. Merkel said that if restrictions have to be increased, they will be regionalised, instead of a nationwide blanket lockdown. 

You couldn't treat animals the way people have been treated and insulted by governments and health beaks for the past couple of months. The data shows that in Europe at least, new cases are shrinking, so the worst is over, and life must go on. Other leagues are also preparing to resume action. Austria, Poland and Hungary are next in line. We cannot be stuck in lockdown mode for up to 18 months waiting for a vaccine. In our sport anyway, this is the first step towards a return to normality.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 7:17pm
And....we may just get a chance to check out the form of Conor Noss at Borussia Munchengladbach ( ' gimme a B.....') and Cillian Sheridan at Wisla Plock.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 9:56am
Dynamo Dresden have had 2 players test positive at the weekend .
Club in 14 day quarantine so will not be playing when 2BL is scheduled to restart next weekend 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 10:03am
Brighton have had three players tested positive for the virus.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 38>
  Share Topic